Ft. Lauderdale Customs Clearance

KMooney929

We are just back from the 10 day Ultimate Caribbean on the Equinox. The cruise and the ship were great. However, when we diembarked in Ft. Lauderdale, TSA/Customs had only two stations open for a ship of 2,800+ passengers trying to clear at the same time. This was a Monday morning and there were also three people standing around drinking coffee. It took us close to two hours to clear and we were off early since were gong on a ship's excursion as we had a late flight. I pitied the poor people in line trying to make a flight before noon.

Keep this in mind when booking your flights home from Fort Lauderdale!

We are just back from the 10 day Ultimate Caribbean on the Equinox. The cruise and the ship were great. However, when we diembarked in Ft. Lauderdale, TSA/Customs had only two stations open for a ship of 2,800+ passengers trying to clear at the same time. This was a Monday morning and there were also three people standing around drinking coffee. It took us close to two hours to clear and we were off early since were gong on a ship's excursion as we had a late flight. I pitied the poor people in line trying to make a flight before noon.

In December, we got off at about 930 and it took about an hour. I guess Mondays=less ships=less employees.

Off the Equinox in December 2013 and it took 2 hours plus to get thru customs. Did not get to the airport until 1100. Lucky we did not have a flight until 2:30.

In December off the Reflection in Miami it took only 20 to 25 minute.

If you think FLL is bad. Try Galveston. Those agent don't even know what documents are needed to enter the country on a closed loop cruise. And then over two hour wait for customs and when using cruise line transportation to Houston waiting 1.5 hours to get on the shuttle.

Hi Kmooney929,

I was on the same sailing. I hope you had as great a time, as we did !

We also had difficulties disembarking Equinox. While the Celebrity folks seemed far more organized than the embark - which was simply awful for us, and my Aunt & Uncle.... I was advised there were only 3 customs stations open - not two, which is what I observed when we finally got to that point. What you probably experienced was someone going on break.

Amazingly, while we were clearing, and with tons of people waiting behind us.... the person at my station said "well, it's time for a break", and they closed his station shortly after we were done, only to leave 2 stations open.

I always try to be very polite on here, so I will end this post by simply saying : I wish I had a job like that :). All the best to you !

There have been massive delays due to limited customs agents in Port Everglades this year on the Connie.

The word is that starting in March there will be a priority line for Suites and Zenith (just like for the x-ray machines during embarkation).

That's a bummer. Great cruise then you wait. I'd be frustrated and I don't even have a flight to catch as we drive.

Anyway, off the Equinox in December, on a Monday and we waited about 30 minutes max. We were one of the first groups off after the self departing people.

enjoy

Got off Equinox on 2 Feb at 8:20 am and needed 1 hr and 20 min to get thru Customs. There were only 2 agents all that time for US Residents and 1 agent for Non US. It is unconsionable to have so few handling 3000+ passengers. Celebrity needs to take the lead in remedying this problem. I have entered thru FLL many times and waited no more than 20 to 30 minutes. There is a major problem that needs to be addressed and corrected.

We had similar experience from December 2014 holiday Equinox sailing. We were told that because we visited South America (Panama), that there was additional level of screening for non-US citizens including fingerprinting. Certainly the longest wait for Customs on any cruise.

We were told that because we visited South America (Panama), that there was additional level of screening for non-US citizens including fingerprinting.[/Quote]

Do the immigration operatives think non US citizens are smugglers then?

Edited by upwarduk

While some may have limited airplane choices and need to depart the ship early, we try to book afternoon flights so we can stay on the ship longer. We try to board as early as possible and leave as late as possible to prolong the cruise and keep the stress down. No need to jump back into our normal lives any sooner than needed.

Melissa

We returned to Port Everglades 01/31 aboard the Ruby Princess among a group of 600, with about if those 200 Estonian citizens. We were scheduled off at 8:55, delayed off until about 9:25 and actually got through customs (there were 5! agents for over 3,000 passengers) about 10:00. BUT, DH's cousin from Canada was scheduled off at 9:20 and was delayed aboard until nearly noon, and didn't get through customs until after 1PM!:eek:

She had a 7 PM flight, so she was ok, but as she was trying to help some of the confused Estonians who had long-missed their shuttles to the Miami International Airport, the port officials shooed her away because she was crossing the street back and forth "too many times" to help non-English speakers get taxis arranged for their journey.

What a mess!!!

If you think FLL is problem wait till you arrive in MIA as we did. I am sure these Immigration & Customs personnel are trying to prove a point to their government, it appears to me as if they are working to rule.

We arrived at Miami Airport and it took over 3 hours to get from the baggage hall to the taxi rank, absolutely unbelievable the lines snaked back and fro in between the luggage carousels, it must have been 800 metre long.

The Customs guys were smiling, saying 'get back inline', we never saw them inspect any luggage just very casually open the passport and take their time without even a question to any folks. Just plain stupid, they must be trying to make a point !!!!

I as a result will never return to Miami, thought FLL would be better, obviously I'm wrong. Next cruise will be to and from Barbados to avoid the US officialdom, P&O here we come!!

Port of Miami has a weird "queuing" system.

You feed through a line, and then they put you in a new mini line.

They do this at embarkation to speak to an X rep and get your room keys. They do this again at disembarkation to get to a customs agent.

I don't understand why they can't just feed the line to the next available agent?

We got stuck in a new mini-line with a chatter. He had long since "cleared" the couple he was processing but then proceed to have a long chat. I could "hear" DH beside me getting more and more frustrated as we waited, while the line beside us was getting process quickly. He said the to port agent there is a big conversation going on here can you transfer us to the next line. He response "don't worry, you'll get your chance to chat too". what? we don't want to chat! we want to get out of here!

someone above said work-to-rule. Sounds like what is happening. I can understand if there are delays caused by documentation/smuggling or other issues. But I don't get stopping to have a "chat" with someone when there is a very long line formed. no accountability.

We've never had an issue at Everglades and always found it to move efficiently. BUT we've never sailed X out of Everglades.

Why, oh why don't they install Global Entry kiosks in cruise terminals? It would cut down on the disembarkation lines tremendously! :confused:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. It would help so much I just do not understand why they don't do this. I asked the TSA agent when we were applying. He said it is up to the cruise lines to initiate working with the TSA to get the machines installed. Not sure if he was right or not, but I sure wish they would look into doing it!

These delays are one of the reasons I always have to put my two cents in when people post about how early their flight can be. All too many people who got lucky and made it through quickly reassuring everyone that a 9:30 flight is no big deal - they do it all the time. But long delays are just as common, and I have had at least two cruises where disembarkation didn't even start until 9:30, as well as Customs lines an hour and a half (or more) long. It happens. It's happened to me.

who decides how many to have working ???

Does it matter which cruise line it is???

friends of ours who were first time Celebrity cruisers said the terrible way their cruise ended...really put a sour taste in their mouth as they never had that with Princess cruises.

Does the cruise line pay anybody for their services??/

I have always wondered...

thanks

Brockmom