Booking whilst on board

british betty

There is a discount off the price of the future cruise- approximately 3-4%, plus an additional $100 OBC on your current cruise. Plus lower deposit on the future cruise.

Edited by arima22

There is a discount off the price of the future cruise- approximately 3-4%, plus an additional $100 OBC on your current cruise. Plus lower deposit on the future cruise.

All of which may not be applicable for cruisers from the UK.

Edited by orchestrapal

This entire deal creates a pet peek of mine! If one doesn't know what cruise they are interested in, they are encouraged to book a place holder cruise. Often those placing place holder cruises also pick a cabin, therefore, they block out a cabin(s) for a cruise, for which they have no intent upon taking! :mad:,. Additionally, some of these cruises can have almost entire categories of cabin taken up or blocked by "place holders". Then come six (6) months out, and final payment due, cabins open up as those place holders switch to cruises they decide they want. Guess what, at six months, I can rarely make arrangements to book cruises, it takes more pre-planning and scheduling for us! I can currently rattle off a couple of cruises that are showing mostly sold out, that are being held only by place holders. This, like the Oceania "guarantee suite" is a policy that works against us more than for most of the cruisers, imo.

We also booked a cruise while onboard Insignia. Price was slightly lower than showed on their website. We received $100 OBC for the cruise we were on. Deposit was only €150,00 (we are Europeans). What convinced me to book onboard was the 'Best Price Guarantee'. If we see the price dropped, we can ask and get the lower price. You cannot do this when you booked online or with a TA as we have experienced in the past. With Oceania's prices going up and down, this is an important benefit of booking onboard. It is true that we booked a cruise and cabin category while we are not 100% certain that we will do that cruise. We can still cancel and we can change to another cruise (only once though). If we cancel we will have to pay back the $100 OBC we received, but that's fair.

On our cruise there were a lot of passengers who booked their next cruise(s) onboard. Some booked for friends or relatives and they receive the same lower price and benefits (except the $100 OBC of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you do not know the dates of your cruise, you can always get a future cruise certificate and get the same 3 to 5% savings. Only difference is no OBC of $100 and the deposit is higher. The Oceania consultant tries to discourage this as she lets less incentive pay for doing this than booking a cruise.

With regard to the Best Price Guarantee at least in the States this has always been Oceania policy. You have to read the fine print on this guarantee. So if the price goes down:

1) Before final payment -- You can get the new price -- providing there is still availability in the category you are booked in and you get the latest promo's (internet, grats) -- you cannot cherry pick the better.

2) After final payment -- same issue -- except the difference in price will be paid some way (usually OBC) at O's discretion.

If you do not know the dates of your cruise, you can always get a future cruise certificate and get the same 3 to 5% savings. Only difference is no OBC of $100 and the deposit is higher. The Oceania consultant tries to discourage this as she lets less incentive pay for doing this than booking a cruise.

With regard to the Best Price Guarantee at least in the States this has always been Oceania policy. You have to read the fine print on this guarantee. So if the price goes down:

1) Before final payment -- You can get the new price -- providing there is still availability in the category you are booked in and you get the latest promo's (internet, grats) -- you cannot cherry pick the better.

2) After final payment -- same issue -- except the difference in price will be paid some way (usually OBC) at O's discretion.

We wanted a cruise that was not yet available for booking (18 months away) so the Oceania Rep booked us on a "quiet" cruise. We were allowed to make one change and retain all the benefits including the $100 OBC, lower deposit and savings. We have subsequently made the change and kept all the goodies.

:)

Your point #2 is the key - "at O's discretion"

When booking on board, getting the lower price after final payment is guaranteed rather than at O's discretion (as I understand it).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I remember on my last Oceana cruise they gave a bonus for booking on board if you were in a veranda and above.

I don't know if they still do it but if you have a future booking and showed them the booking number on the cruise you also got obc for that cruise. You did not have to book on board but you did not get the hundred dollar OBC

I don't know if they still do it but if you have a future booking and showed them the booking number on the cruise you also got obc for that cruise. You did not have to book on board but you did not get the hundred dollar OBC

Yes, this is one of the good features about onboard booking that many don't know. If you have a current booking go see the FCC and they can reprice it to reflect the onboard discount. You don't get extra OBC for that cruise but you do get a discount.

I did this earlier this year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I remember on my last Oceana cruise they gave a bonus for booking on board if you were in a veranda and above.

I tried to get the OBC for a previously booked cruise and was told that there need to be staterooms available/still open in your level of booking- in my case there were no staterooms still available - popular cruise- so no OBC.

The bottom of the onboard booking brochures that are distributed to the rooms states "Additional onboard savings also available for ocean view staterooms. Visit your Oceania Club Ambassador for more details."

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the 'low deposit' seems to be untrue. We paid €300,00 deposit for our next cruise, booked onboard. This was immediately charged from my credit card. Now, two weeks later, Oceania charged another €1200 from my credit card as an extra deposit for that cruise! The Ambassador onboard never mentioned this! Is this a normal procedure? Or is it because we are Europeans?

Update: the 'low deposit' seems to be untrue. We paid €300,00 deposit for our next cruise, booked onboard. This was immediately charged from my credit card. Now, two weeks later, Oceania charged another €1200 from my credit card as an extra deposit for that cruise! The Ambassador onboard never mentioned this! Is this a normal procedure? Or is it because we are Europeans?

Or, did you book a Suite?

The low deposit feature only applies to Standard Cabins.

No, this time we booked an Ocean View. I suppose it's our TA that wants a larger deposit. I have contacted Oceania to find out who charged my credit card and why.

How long is the Cruise? Some longer voyages also require a larger deposit.

Edited by JimandStan

Oceania replied and confirmed there is no additional deposit required but the already paid €300. It's our TA that wants more money in advance... Has anyone had the same experience with their TA?

Red-Flage-Warning.gif

Never, and in the United States an Agent doing that would be a major red flag.

Red-Flage-Warning.gif

Never, and in the United States an Agent doing that would be a major red flag.

Exactly.

I would ask the TA to reverse the charges ASAP and it not done, contact the credit card issuer.

The charge should NEVER go to the TA but the cruise line directly.

Meldrum

maybe your TA is not familiar with the requirements for onboard booking deposits or it is a Regional thing where you are required to pay a larger deposit

In any case I would ask your TA why the extra charge ??

We will be on a port-intensive cruise (Venice - Rome) with no sea days and we have excursions booked at every port.

I definitely want to book a cruise while on board but am concerned that I won't have an opportunity since our available windows will be so limited.

Do we have to speak with a consultant on-board to book or can we just pick up and fill out a form while were on the ship?

We will be on a port-intensive cruise (Venice - Rome) with no sea days and we have excursions booked at every port.

I definitely want to book a cruise while on board but am concerned that I won't have an opportunity since our available windows will be so limited.

Do we have to speak with a consultant on-board to book or can we just pick up and fill out a form while were on the ship?

Seems like there is always a blank booking form delivered to your room sometime during the cruise (among all the other lbs of paperwork). As long as you know what to book, you can fill it out and drop it on the desk of the Oceania Club Ambassador. You should get the completed booking delivered to your cabin a couple days later.

The Booking office will usually be open in the evenings on port intensive cruises. I believe on our last cruise the hours were 9AM - Noon, then 5PM - 8PM.

I just came across a future cruise Reservation Request Form that I had in a folder from my cruise in June. Here is a quote on the deposit requirements from that form: "A deposit of $250 per person is required (10% for OC, VS &OS Suites; $750pp for Grand Voyages).

Is your next cruise maybe a "Grand Voyage?"