Corkage Fee - Has it returned?

Just read this on FB

"Get ready folks. Just boarded Serenade sat down at Chops and opened my bottle of wine, only to be told that they let you bring wine on board but that starting today they are charging a $15 corkage fee!!!! So nice of Royal to actually announce this before implementing it."

I haven't seen this advertised anywhere so we'll have to wait and see.

Q:*Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

A:*Yes. Guests who consume their personal wine and champagne in public areas, will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5442.

The internet Wayback machine shows that on September 26th, 2016 (the last time it had a clear backup of this page) it said the exact opposite.

Edited by bUU

Wonder how this policy will relate to the wine received as a D+ ammenity since you didn't actually bring it on board.. If it does apply - What a great idea, give someone a $10 bottle of wine and charge them $15 to open it.

So I guess I am back to screw top bottles of wine! AT least my stateroom attendant has always been great about bringing me glasses..... and if the bottle is "open" when I bring it to the dining room, I have never been charged a fee. But what a PITA.

Geez Louise, I keep giving people wrong information because it changes so often. Try the Sabor sampler menu, no wait, just order stuff a la carte and nice place for lunch, no wait, only worth it for dinner if want a lot of mexican food.

Two bottles, carryon, drink where you want, no corkage.... wait......

I have the drink package for the first time on RCCL but planned on bringing wine specifically b/c the offered wines aren't great and wanted to bring to specialty restaurants.

I thought the removal of the corkage was helpful to already burdened staff. People a little more likely to bring a bottle and pour their own than to order drinks in their package.

So I guess I am back to screw top bottles of wine! AT least my stateroom attendant has always been great about bringing me glasses..... and if the bottle is "open" when I bring it to the dining room, I have never been charged a fee. But what a PITA.

A corkage fee has absolutely nothing to do with who actually opens the bottle. Just like in a land restaurant, it refers to bringing your own wine rather than purchasing it from the establishment. Only way around this would be to pour yourself a glass and carrying it to dinner.

A corkage fee has absolutely nothing to do with who actually opens the bottle. Just like in a land restaurant, it refers to bringing your own wine rather than purchasing it from the establishment. Only way around this would be to pour yourself a glass and carrying it to dinner.

True, but if you buy a bottle of wine at the restaurant you are not charged a corkage fee. It applies only if you carry the bottle in. Aboard ship some passengers buy bottles of wine from RCCL. Others are given wine as a D+ ammenity to be delivered either to their cabin or the MDR.

True, but if you buy a bottle of wine at the restaurant you are not charged a corkage fee. It applies only if you carry the bottle in. Aboard ship some passengers buy bottles of wine from RCCL. Others are given wine as a D+ ammenity to be delivered either to their cabin or the MDR.

Supposedly it's only for personal wine brought onboard and not wine gifted from C&A.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wonder how this policy will relate to the wine received as a D+ ammenity since you didn't actually bring it on board.. If it does apply - What a great idea, give someone a $10 bottle of wine and charge them $15 to open it.

Yikes - I had not thought of that. We'll have to go back to bringing wine that is on their wine list!

Or , just bring better wine and pay the corkage. Actually $15 is not bad. We are in a small city and pay $ 15- 25. We are used to paying at land establishments .

M

The issue I have is that they suddenly implement these type of changes with no prior notification. If they gave some head's up it would be somewhat palatable. It is their "house" so I understand that they can impose their own policies, but give some forewarning. I would be more understanding.

I always bring a corkscrew, open it in my room & keep one of their glasses to use. I bring my glass with me. And if you're carrying the opened bottle & wine glass with you, no one has ever asked where I bought it.

Does it apply if I bring it on board and drink on my balcony? It says "public areas".

Do you think they have a camera in your cabin or on your balcony to check if you open a bottle of wine??

You can specify where it's delivered, dining room or cabin

You can specify where it's delivered, dining room or cabin

Except that many of us don't go to the MDR, so would have to hunt it down if we wanted to take it to a specialty restaurant or the WJ.

I wish that RCI would announce changes instead of blindsiding people.