Trivial question, but can I bring lemons on board?

sprockie

We're sailing a Canada/New England in 3 weeks. I like lemon in my water (in cabin consumption). Can I bring a few lemons on board or is that a no-no? We're Canadian, getting on in a Canadian port if that matters.

I thought of the possibility that your lemons were somehow better than the ones on the ship...:D

Room service will likely bring you all the lemons you want/need.

I am amazed at what is available on the ship (foodwise)....all you need do is ask.

I thought of the possibility that your lemons were somehow better than the ones on the ship...:D

Room service will likely bring you all the lemons you want/need.

I am amazed at what is available on the ship (foodwise)....all you need do is ask.

..................Well I do prefer Meyer lemons, but I can tolerate regular ones:D (just kidding)

Yes, you are permitted to bring lemons aboard, but there are options to have your lemon s without bringing them. Also, keep in mind you cannot take them off the ship in almos t all ports.

Citrus can carry unwanted pests - so I would not recommend doing this at all. We have cery strict quarantines on citrus in California so this is something that cause our ag industry great concern. More about the psyllid infestation threat to citrus crops: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r107304411.html

Sounds trivial, but it is real. Do not transport uninspected or unsealed commercially prepared food products. Period. On another ship we had to bug spray all our wooden items purchased onshore before they would let us bring them back on the ship.

Why not ask to have lemons put in your cabin fruit basket that have gone through the ship's own inspection process?

Citrus can carry unwanted pests - so I would not recommend doing this at all. We have cery strict quarantines on citrus in California so this is something that cause our ag industry great concern. More about the psyllid infestation threat to citrus crops: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r107304411.html

Sounds trivial, but it is real. Do not transport uninspected or unsealed commercially prepared food products. Period. On another ship we had to bug spray all our wooden items purchased onshore before they would let us bring them back on the ship.

Why not ask to have lemons put in your cabin fruit basket that have gone through the ship's own inspection process?

Good suggestions

Actually, you can bring citrus fruit on the ship except in a couple of ports. Where do you think that HAL gets their citrus fruit from? There is no risk bringing citrus fruit from Canada on board.

Same with flowers, etc.

Surprised your wooden objects were sprayed with bug spray. Ours were put in the freezer for 3 days to make sure the bugs were killed and returned to everyone after.

Actually, you can bring citrus fruit on the ship except in a couple of ports. Where do you think that HAL gets their citrus fruit from? There is no risk bringing citrus fruit from Canada on board.

Same with flowers, etc.

Surprised your wooden objects were sprayed with bug spray. Ours were put in the freezer for 3 days to make sure the bugs were killed and returned to everyone after.

One would assume any citrus brought on board by the ship for its own use, had been inspected by whatever criteria the ship policy deemed appropriate. When you read the VSP inspection reports they always come down hard on even a single "bug" or bug droppings that are found anywhere on the ship. The bug spray requirement was on another cruise line.

Be sure to read the warnings in the "Travelers Don't Pack a Pest" link. Minimizing this potential travel threat is not sound policy.

One would assume any citrus brought on board by the ship for its own use, had been inspected by whatever criteria the ship policy deemed appropriate. When you read the VSP inspection reports they always come down hard on even a single "bug" or bug droppings that are found anywhere on the ship. The bug spray requirement was on another cruise line.

Be sure to read the warnings in the "Travelers Don't Pack a Pest" link. Minimizing this potential travel threat is not sound policy.

Oh for crying out loud, you don't think that Canada inspects? We are very cautious on bugs and bug droppings. I am fully aware of "don't pack a pest" but I do know where it is safe to bring things on board.

The fruit here is safe, inspected - maybe you should read up on Canada's agriculture inspections if you don't believe me. The OP will not be bringing any bugs on the ship. Canada is very careful on what it grows and what it imports. We are not going to risk bringing anything into the country that damages our agricuture and yes, in some areas here we grow grapes and citrus, believe it or not.

Try true lemon. It’s dry lemon powder. Each packet is about the equivalent of a wedge but I’ve found I only need have for my full contigo for a good amount of lemon flavor. It’s not fake at all and tastes properly lemony. I keep some in my bag at all times and plan to bring a whole new box with us on our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An on going complaint about onboard food is being able to take full advantage of what is fresh, available and enticing locally, except in rare circumstances. Talking to a HM once he explained how everything available for passenger consumption had to essentially go through Seattle (not literally) and then sent to resupply locations around the world, just to keep control over any possible contaminants - both for ship safety and passenger safety.

This fleetwise poilicy will get turned on its head with the new Maasdam InDepth cruise options, since they emphasize locally sourced food and local culinary classes will be part of the new InDepth Maasdam cruise experience.

........ and yes, in some areas here we grow grapes and citrus, believe it or not.

Believe it. Many here have traveled around Canada and know it well beyond any cartoon versions of it being a vast frozen wasteland of tundra and snows. Give us credit. In fact one of the prettiest agricultural areas I have seen was driving through the Windsor Canada peninsula that juts down in the US-Michigan latitudes where even tobacco had once been a leading crop. Gorgeous fruit growing area. Canadian Ice Wine - you are famous, so of course one finds grapes in Canada. Stalking wild cloud berries - baked apple - found us in Labrador. Canadian agriculture is huge. Wheat fields of central Canada, of course - the bread basket. But don't ask me to spell that province that starts with an S. (Gulp)

You can bring items like fruit and food on the ship but you just won't be able to bring it off in ports or when you get off the ship.

The alternatives are getting some from the Lido, the bartenders will give you some or maybe you can order them from room service.

Oh for crying out loud, you don't think that Canada inspects? We are very cautious on bugs and bug droppings. I am fully aware of "don't pack a pest" but I do know where it is safe to bring things on board.

The fruit here is safe, inspected - maybe you should read up on Canada's agriculture inspections if you don't believe me. The OP will not be bringing any bugs on the ship. Canada is very careful on what it grows and what it imports. We are not going to risk bringing anything into the country that damages our agricuture and yes, in some areas here we grow grapes and citrus, believe it or not.

You are both correct, and incorrect. The USPH VSP requires that all food brought on the ship be from "verified sources", and the cruise line can obtain citrus from any country as long as it is from a verifiable source, meaning that there is a paper trail from the ship to the chandler to the wholesaler to the grower, and all meet applicable local health regulations (and most of the fruit found in North America has been sanitized by one means or another). A passenger bringing a bag of lemons onboard, however, is not from a verifiable source, so it is not allowed. Can you get it onboard? Probably. Might it be confiscated? Possibly.

The reason most cruise lines obtain their supplies from one vendor, whether it is HAL in Seattle, or most of the other lines in Miami/FLL, is quality control across the fleet. Also, using one vendor means the line only has one verifiable source it needs to deal with, rather than checking certificates in every port. It merely simplifies things for the provisions acquisition process.

Try true lemon. It’s dry lemon powder. Each packet is about the equivalent of a wedge but I’ve found I only need have for my full contigo for a good amount of lemon flavor. It’s not fake at all and tastes properly lemony. I keep some in my bag at all times and plan to bring a whole new box with us on our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this recommendation, I just bought some but have not tried it yet.