Crown Princess Drags Anchor in Kotor

Tedferg

Just finished and excellent Med cruise on Crown. Rome - Barcelona April 28. Excellent weather and ship is great.

We tendered in Kotor and took 25 minutes or so from ship to shore. While ashore Crown dragged anchor in 50 mph wind gust. Apparently getting close to shore and listing.

We missed the excitement, since we were already ashore. Passengers onboard were delayed several hours. Divers were sent below at next port, Corfu, but no damage was seen.

Captain gave a talk to packed house in theater next day - but once again we missed it.

One passenger had photos of pool deck showing severe list.

We had excellent private shore excursions and two Princess excursions.

Rome Cabs limo FCO - Rome

Rome pre-cruise Hotel Damaso near Piazza Navona, excellent. Used The Roman Guy for Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St Peter's.

Rome - Lake Bracciano - Ship by Stefano Tours

Sicily with Mario, www.sicilywithmario.com

Dubrovnik dubrovnik-tours@outlook.com

Kotor toursbymilo.com

Corfu corfutaxis.com

Corsica Prunelli Gorges, Princess

Toulon Hyeres and Brome-Les-Mimosas, Princess

All excellent excursions.

Barcelona post cruise Room Mate Pau close to Placa Catalunya.

Edited by Tedferg
Added material.

Sounds like quite a wind. At least the anchor held. I'm sure it was quite "interesting" for those onboard to have the anchored ship move and list as it pulled against the anchor.

Yes, Thrak. I am surprised no one else posted about it. PAX who were on board said that people on shore must have been terrified to see a huge ship bearing down on them.

yikes! i'm glad all was well in the end.

Had a similar experience in Kotor 3 years ago. Huge wind gusts at end of afternoon. Temporarily suspended tender operations. We were still in town and restaurants were scrambling to crank down outdoor umbrellas and anchor chairs in place. Suspect it is a function of how the gusts funnel down the surrounding hills.

Rome pre-cruise Hotel Damaso near Piazza Navona, excellent. Used The Roman Guy for Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St Peter's.

Kotor toursbymilo.com

Corfu corfutaxis.com

Thanks so much just booked this cruise today. Did you use Rome cabs to get to the ship?

Thanks so much just booked this cruise today. Did you use Rome cabs to get to the ship?

We used Rome Cabs from Airport to Rome then their sister company stefanorometours.com on sail day. Picked up at hotel with all luggage, side tour to Lake Bracciano visiting three villages then dropped of at port. Thought this a better use of the day than checking out of hotel and moping around for an hour or two before transfer to port.

We used Rome Cabs from Airport to Rome then their sister company stefanorometours.com on sail day. Picked up at hotel with all luggage, side tour to Lake Bracciano visiting three villages then dropped of at port. Thought this a better use of the day than checking out of hotel and moping around for an hour or two before transfer to port.

Would you recommend this Pre-cruise tour over the typical City Center to ship transfer the the cruiseline offers?

Would you recommend this Pre-cruise tour over the typical City Center to ship transfer the the cruiseline offers?

It is hard to say, we paid E350 for four of us and straight transfer would have been E150. We had been in Rome for two days and had done primary sight seeing. So for us this was a good use of that half day. Versus checking out of hotel by 11:00 and straight to port or hanging around for an hour or two and then to port.

We were picked up at 10:00, so leisurely breakfast and at port for 2:30

Kotor toursbymilo.com

Corfu corfutaxis.com

What were the ports on this cruise? I have a 14 day Barcelona to Rome cruise booked on the emerald with stops in Salerno, Kotor, Corfu, Crete, Mykonos, Crete, Athens, Santorini, Messina and Naples.It's not until 8/19, but it's never to early to start looking at things to do.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Forums mobile app

Here is a video of how close they got to shore. Note that the person who posted it mentions that the ship was drug across the bay about 1km.

I'm thinking there were probably some "interesting" moments on the bridge... :eek:

Sounds like quite a wind. At least the anchor held. I'm sure it was quite "interesting" for those onboard to have the anchored ship move and list as it pulled against the anchor.

On the Crowns second voyage in 2006 it listed seven miles off shore. We were on the ship and it was terrifying. Two members our our party truly believed they were going to perish. We quit cruising until 2015. My mother just returned to cruising last year. We have waited 18 years to cruise the Mediterranean, and are going on the Crown in 5 weeks. Needless to say I will not be sharing this most recent episode with my mom, and have never told my child. Leave it to us to attract another episode of listing. Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Lana,

It was nice to see your post and I hope that you and Bill are both well. Your itinerary sounds exciting! Bruce and I are doing a similar cruise this summer, leaving from Athens and ending in Rome.

Enjoy your cruise!

Barb

Great info. A few questions:

Does the hotel have an elevator? It's not mentioned on their website?

Which of the Roman Guy's tours of the Vatican did you do and how did you get to the meeting point?

Thanks so much.

What were the ports on this cruise? I have a 14 day Barcelona to Rome cruise booked on the emerald with stops in Salerno, Kotor, Corfu, Crete, Mykonos, Crete, Athens, Santorini, Messina and Naples.It's not until 8/19, but it's never to early to start looking at things to do.

Left Civitavecchia, Salerno, Messina, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Ajaccio Corsica, Toulon.

The only overlaps with us are Kotor and Corfu. Would recommend http://toursbymilo.com, Milo was our guide and http://www.corfutaxitours.com, Kristos was our Guide

Left Civitavecchia, Salerno, Messina, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Ajaccio Corsica, Toulon.

The only overlaps with us are Kotor and Corfu. Would recommend http://toursbymilo.com, Milo was our guide and http://www.corfutaxitours.com, Kristos was our Guide

Any recommendations for Salerno and Messina?