RCI cancelled my cruise - say it was chartered

Received this email from Royal Caribean this afternoon:

We arereaching out to let you know that, regrettably, we have to cancel your Freedomof the Seas March 24th, 2019 sailing, as it has been chartered. We know thisnews is disappointing and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience thiscauses and for the impact to your cruise vacation.

There was more, including that they'll only reimburse up to $200 for domestic non-cancelable flights and $400 for international flights.

Does this happen often? Does this likely mean someone chartered the whole ship or just that they chartered a bunch of rooms so RCI needed mine?

Really disappointed. I wanted to go to Bonaire, and their other March cruises don't go there.

Thanks! Fortunately, I hadn't booked my air yet. I would have booked it through RCI, and would have gotten travel insurance too, but not sure I would have felt the need to immediately decide on the insurance. So apart from the disappointment, which is a first world problem I'll get over in a hurry, I'm not out any $. But it helps to know (for future cruise bookings) that this isn't a super-rare occurrence.

Thanks! Fortunately, I hadn't booked my air yet. I would have booked it through RCI, and would have gotten travel insurance too, but not sure I would have felt the need to immediately decide on the insurance. So apart from the disappointment, which is a first world problem I'll get over in a hurry, I'm not out any $. But it helps to know (for future cruise bookings) that this isn't a super-rare occurrence.

I'd say it's reported here 3 or 4 times a yr. Pretty rare really compared to the amount of ships and weeks

We arereaching out to let you know that, regrettably, we have to cancel your Freedomof the Seas March 24th, 2019 sailing, as it has been chartered. We know thisnews is disappointing and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience thiscauses and for the impact to your cruise vacation.

There was more, including that they'll only reimburse up to $200 for domestic non-cancelable flights and $400 for international flights.

Does this happen often? Does this likely mean someone chartered the whole ship or just that they chartered a bunch of rooms so RCI needed mine?

Really disappointed. I wanted to go to Bonaire, and their other March cruises don't go there.

I understand your disappointment. I had the same thing happen a few years back with a Celebrity Asian cruise. Fortunately we were able to book a different itinerary just two weeks earlier.

I’m not sure that travel insurance would have even been any help in this instance. Especially if you got it through RC, because they cancel the policy if the cruise is canceled.

I'd say it's reported here 3 or 4 times a yr.

For charters alone it's probably higher than that - then you have other reasons for cancellations which in the end doesn't really matter to the customers.

I was on your cruise. They chartered the whole ship. It was chartered by Lula Roe. This has happened to me before on another line.

Call and see if you can do the April 14 cruise since it’s the exact same itinerary. It might not be price protected but you should still get the OBC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be a lot easier to take if it was more than 11 months out you didn’t have to worry about flight reservations. Although it still would suck because there are plans we all make to take cruises. I just think there would be a moratorium on how short of advance notice charters can take over a sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We and the couple we usually cruise with had two future cruises cancelled because of charters the same day. We drive so no air for either couple. The $400 credit for each stateroom and the price protection were nice.

I was one of the unlucky ones as well. My biggest issue is that they would not honor my 30% off that I received when I booked this cruise on the ship 2 months ago. They gave me 2 dates that didn't fit my schedule or they would give me a $200.00 on-board credit. Worst customer service ever. I am only 1 person/family but we will never spend another dime with RC. There is no reason I shouldn't have been offered the same discount on another cruise..........

I was one of the unlucky ones as well. My biggest issue is that they would not honor my 30% off that I received when I booked this cruise on the ship 2 months ago. They gave me 2 dates that didn't fit my schedule or they would give me a $200.00 on-board credit. Worst customer service ever. I am only 1 person/family but we will never spend another dime with RC. There is no reason I shouldn't have been offered the same discount on another cruise..........

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Interesting choice of screen name, given that this is your first post. :cool:

They gave me 2 dates that didn't fit my schedule or they would give me a $200.00 on-board credit. There is no reason I shouldn't have been offered the same discount on another cruise..........

Sure there is - they wouldn't make as much money then. Just realize that most lines have the same compensation levels for cancelled cruises.