Princess.com

nicknack

Probably at the beach. Personally, I find it very offensive that a major retail organization does notkeep someone "on call" to deal with a major computer problem like that inconviences so many people.

Princess.com is probably not considered a critical system so they don't need to respond very quickly. However it is a very poor business practice. I wish that little four question survey at the end of the call gave you an opportunity to comment.

Princess.com is probably not considered a critical system so they don't need to respond very quickly. However it is a very poor business practice. I wish that little four question survey at the end of the call gave you an opportunity to comment.

Just curious, why all the comments about Comcast then?

This really looks like a Comcast problem. Note that virtually everyone who is having trouble is on Comcast. Also, if you have an AMEX account and Comcast, try go access your account info. You won't be able to. 5 computers here, no access on Princess.com or AMEX, but fine on ATT smartphone and AOL dial up. It is a DNS problem, pure and simple.

Comcast's response: There must be a problem with all 5 of your computers, since we can find nothing wrong here (but will escalate the problem to be sure).

This IS a Comcast problem. Note that virtually everyone who is having trouble is on Comcast. Also, if you have an AMEX account and Comcast, try go access your account info. You won't be able to. 5 computers here, no access on Princess.com or AMEX, but fine on ATT smartphone and AOL dial up. It is a DNS problem, pure and simple.

Comcast's response: There must be a problem with all 5 of your computers, since we can find nothing wrong here (but will escalate the problem to be sure).

A lot of people use Comcast so it could easily be a coincidence. I changed my network settings to use non-Comcast DNS servers and I had the same problem. I still lean toward a princess.com problem that affected perhaps one or more of their servers, but not all.

This IS a Comcast problem. Note that virtually everyone who is having trouble is on Comcast. Also, if you have an AMEX account and Comcast, try go access your account info. You won't be able to. 5 computers here, no access on Princess.com or AMEX, but fine on ATT smartphone and AOL dial up. It is a DNS problem, pure and simple.

I agree, Comcast is probably to blame.

I was wondering about that. I have had Comcast for years and I have never had trouble accessing the Princess web site, except when it was down for maintenance. I do know that Comcast and some routers don't work well together.

:rolleyes:

We just received a voicemail two weeks ago that they were doubling our speed at no extra charge. Guess they forgot to mention that they were limiting our website access at the same time.

We can access many other personalized (where we input login and password) sites; the problem appears to be just with Princess.

ETA: I can access my account just fine from my iphone when I turn off wifi and use 3G...it's definitely a Comcast hiccup.

A lot of people use Comcast so it could easily be a coincidence. I changed my network settings to use non-Comcast DNS servers and I had the same problem. I still lean toward a princess.com problem that affected perhaps one or more of their servers, but not all.

Well, then AMEX must be running on Princess servers, and my USAIR MC account, and my Scotttrade account, cuz having problems with all those secure sites also. All started at the same time yesterday.

This really looks like a Comcast problem. Note that virtually everyone who is having trouble is on Comcast. Also, if you have an AMEX account and Comcast, try go access your account info. You won't be able to. 5 computers here, no access on Princess.com or AMEX, but fine on ATT smartphone and AOL dial up. It is a DNS problem, pure and simple.

Really doesn't matter now because Princess has fixed the problem. I can now log on to MyPrincess but still can't get to AmEx because when I called them they told me their system was down for maintenance. Guess we'll really never know for sure where the problem was.

Really doesn't matter now because Princess has fixed the problem. I can now log on to MyPrincess but still can't get to AmEx because when I called them they told me their system was down for maintenance. Guess we'll really never know for sure where the problem was.

I thought they (Princess) were not working over the holiday?

Well, then AMEX must be running on Princess servers, and my USAIR MC account, and my Scotttrade account, cuz having problems with all those secure sites also. All started at the same time yesterday.

Well now Princess doesn't work again. Have you tried calling any of these sites to see if they may also be doing maintenance? Since the market is closed this would be a perfect opportunity for Scotttade to bring their system down. I've tried other secure sites and don't have a problem. I've called AmEx and was told their system is down so was just wondering if the other systems you are trying may also be down for maintenance. Just curious.

I thought they (Princess) were not working over the holiday?

When I called in they just said they weren't sure when IT would be in not that they weren't going to be in. Enough phone calls and maybe someone decided to come in. Anyway, after thinking about this a little more if all of the sites that you are having problems with use the same DNS and Comcast has a broken link to that DNS then it could be Comcast. But since I would think that Princess would use the same DNS for all their pages and we can get to the site and some pages, I don't think this is the issue. I can ping Princess but not AmEx which supports the answer I got from AmEx that their site is down. I don't know about the other sites you are having a problem with. Have you tried pinging them?

I guess all the sites that were malfunctioning/"down for maintenance" all came back online again at the exact second. It was a Comcast problem. It is now fixed. I can access all of the sites that were unavailable an hour ago.

Good to know. Thanks.

When I called in they just said they weren't sure when IT would be in not that they weren't going to be in. Enough phone calls and maybe someone decided to come in. Anyway, after thinking about this a little more if all of the sites that you are having problems with use the same DNS and Comcast has a broken link to that DNS then it could be Comcast. But since I would think that Princess would use the same DNS for all their pages and we can get to the site and some pages, I don't think this is the issue. I can ping Princess but not AmEx which supports the answer I got from AmEx that their site is down. I don't know about the other sites you are having a problem with. Have you tried pinging them?

It was only the secure pages that had the DNS problem, thus you could reach princess.com and not https://login.princess.com/whatever. And the main site of AMEX has never been down during this DNS outage...again, only the secure areas.

It was only the secure pages that had the DNS problem, thus you could reach princess.com and not https://login.princess.com/whatever. And the main site of AMEX has never been down during this DNS outage...again, only the secure areas.

I couldn't even get to the AmEx site and when I pinged it, it couldn't be found. May be that we are using a different way to get to our accounts. I could get to other secure sites, like Chase credit cards, my bank and my brokerage accounts. This is very interesting, but I think since everything came back at the same time, you're right it was a Comcast issue.

Archived