Any opinions on what I should do about my travel agent?

loulani

Hello Everyone, I'm still looking!! I have been to so many websites I had to leave it alone for a day. I have talked to several "top selling" agents and was not happy with their responses. My husband emailed Silversea yesterday and told them our dissatisfaction but they even have NOT responded. I sure wish I could get the name of some agents from y'all but I know this is not permitted. Have a few more calls out though.

Linda

The fact that you have not been happy with the responses provided by some agents is a good sign....it shows that you are becoming a discerning consumer. You've obviously done some self-analysis and are finding that even the "top sellers" aren't providing what you feel you'll need or want. Keep looking, it will be worth the effort.

loulani,

If it's not breaking CC rules and if you feel comfortable sharing your email address, I'll be happy to expand on the situation regarding our travel agency.

Cheers,

Judy

Judy,

It is not allowed. See post number 10 by Host Dan.

Dave

As I mentioned a few days ago, my problem now is there are two agents to choose from. This is the problem. I really like A. He is informative but his shipboard credit is less than travel agent B. Travel agent B is not as helpful as A and does not answer my emails as fast as A. Maybe this could be that I haven't transferred my booking as of yet. However, having said this, I have, and are still doing my homework for the Mediteranean cruise in June. I believe I could really handle this part of the cruise myself. Do I go with A, informative agent or B more shipboard credit?

As I mentioned a few days ago, my problem now is there are two agents to choose from. This is the problem. I really like A. He is informative but his shipboard credit is less than travel agent B. Travel agent B is not as helpful as A and does not answer my emails as fast as A. Maybe this could be that I haven't transferred my booking as of yet. However, having said this, I have, and are still doing my homework for the Mediteranean cruise in June. I believe I could really handle this part of the cruise myself. Do I go with A, informative agent or B more shipboard credit?

Have you asked agent A if he can match agent B to get your business?? That would solve your dilemna...

Host Dan

In effect, your question is this:

Is the additional service provided by Agent A important enough and worth as much or more (in dollar terms) the additional credits offered by Agent B? What you are doing is "buying" the higher level of service from A, with the "price" being the credit differential from B.

Pick which is more important to you and you have your decision. Or, you can just follow the words of Piet Hein who wrote:

Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,

and you're hampered by not having any,

the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,

is simply by spinning a penny.

No - not so that chance shall decide the affair

while you're passively standing there moping;

but the moment the penny is up in the air,

you suddenly know what you're hoping

Agent A may match, but they will then know you price shopped and may jump from them on the next $50 deal or whatever. Develop a relationship with someone if that is what you want and bring honesty and expectations to the table. There are people that validate themselves by the service they can offer and love to please people.

Go with A or do more research.

If B is not helfpul right now when B is trying to win your business it will only get worse. Do not, I repeat do NOT go with B as you will find yourself in the same boat (no pun intended) as you are now.

Again, go with A or continue your search.

Keith

Travel Agent A may not have as much sales but may be certified by the cruise line having taking their courses. I don't know that you have to have traveled every line to sell the line necessarily. But if you are knowledgeable and return my calls and if I'm in Europe and there is a terrorist attack and I can't get home and I need some help I hope I can reach you then it's worth using that person. Don't know if I made any sense but it's my 2 cents.

if I'm in Europe and there is a terrorist attack and I can't get home and I need some help I hope I can reach you then it's worth using that person.

And if YOU can't get home because of a terrorist attack....how is the TA supposed to help you? If no flights are running, then he can't magically make them operate? If you need a hotel, you are in a far better position there on-the-spot to get something, rather than put another layer in between you and the operator. And, being in Europe, do you really think that communication will be improved by putting that distance & time delay into the equation??

Relying on a TA to get you out of a scrape is a nice thought, but the best solution is knowing yourself how to handle a problem.

Just my $2.00 worth.

Archived