Tipping luggage handlers

Being a Brit, I think its obsene, reason, well here goes. On a Caribbean trip from FL a few months ago, we spent the previous night in a hotel in Miami before boarding the coach(bus) to take us to FL where we boarded the ship. On arriving at FL, a big baggage handler boarded the coach and told us that the handling rate for the bags was $3 per bag and they would deliver them to our state room, to which I replied when you arrive at our state room, we will give you the tip. We all know the score, they take them off the bus, put them in stillages which are wheeled to the ship and fork lifted on. I screwed up a $1 and was out of sight before he had unfolded it. I am not tight, but I hate that sort of attitude, a great advertisement fro your country.

• Like 2

Being a Brit, I think its obsene, reason, well here goes. On a Caribbean trip from FL a few months ago, we spent the previous night in a hotel in Miami before boarding the coach(bus) to take us to FL where we boarded the ship. On arriving at FL, a big baggage handler boarded the coach and told us that the handling rate for the bags was $3 per bag and they would deliver them to our state room, to which I replied when you arrive at our state room, we will give you the tip. We all know the score, they take them off the bus, put them in stillages which are wheeled to the ship and fork lifted on. I screwed up a $1 and was out of sight before he had unfolded it. I am not tight, but I hate that sort of attitude, a great advertisement fro your country.

I have learned through our travels to not come to conclusions based on one person or even a few. Yes, that was wrong on his part but in all of our cruises I have never head of that, so consider this an exception and not the rule. There are good people throughout this world and we all know that unfortunately there are others in all countries who try to create schemes to get more money. Thank goodness they are the exceptions.

Keith

• Like 2

Your sentiment sucks, actualy just plain rude, but in spite of that you did the correct thing. $1 a bag is good. The baggage handlers are very well paid union dock workers.

Edited by Traveler353

question, and could be a personal choice...

i have a private shuttle take us from the airport to the docks, we tip him per bag to place it on the curb.

do i then tip the dockside workers to put my bag in the bin to get it on the ship?

seems like double duty on the tipping? i know both of them have to handle the bags, but do the dockside workers claim tips or am i off base here?

who else tips both?

Is there any correlation between the amount of the tip (or lack thereof) and how quickly your bags make it to your room? We tipped $5 for three bags in JAX and they were at our door when we were able to go in our room (about 1:30 or so.) I have another friend who has cruised several times, and until the last time had never tipped the porter, and thought she was lucky if her bags showed up before dinner. The last time she and her BF tipped the same as we had, and had their bags at 2. Is this a coincidence?

When Brits used to fly into Fort Lauderdale to go on Sea Princess (mainly used by Brits), there was a big sign at the baggage dept to say that tipping was NOT necessary...very helpful for people from a non- tipping society. I'm a big believer in when in Rome, but such things can catch you out when you're not used to tipping someone for doing their paid job. -jocap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It has been my practice to tip anyone (porters/bus drivers/bell hops) who handles our luggage $1 a bag. Is this about right or am I being too cheap?

I am always paranoid that my bags will get lost so the last time we cruised we had one big and 1 small suitcase and gave 5 bucks the porter was very happy and so was I because our lugguge wasn't lost lol.

Your sentiment sucks, actualy just plain rude, but in spite of that you did the correct thing. $1 a bag is good. The baggage handlers are very well paid union dock workers.

So wait, they get paid very well union wages and then we are expected to give tips on top of that? Seems like double dipping to me. Oh well, what are you going to do, if you don't play their game you risk getting screwed.

• Like 1

We have been on 3 cruises and have never tipped those luggage handlers at the port. Why do you need to give someone money who is handling my bag for less than 20 seconds and moving it 4 feet into a bin ? Its absurd !

Those union workers gets paid very well. If my bag was very heavy or they needed to move it very far, I will be the 1st one to tip.. but heck no for the amount of work they do there is really no need to tip them. That is my opinion and we have never had a bad experience with them. They are friendly and dont expect a tip for light bags that they hardly have to put any effort into getting it in the bin. Our bags arrive early at our door and no worries, no need to part with your hard earned money in this way. Save it for the ship.

• Like 1

We have been on 3 cruises and have never tipped those luggage handlers at the port. Why do you need to give someone money who is handling my bag for less than 20 seconds and moving it 4 feet into a bin ? Its absurd !

I agree with your sentiment, but by not tipping the porter you're playing with fire. 1 unscrupulous and vengeful porter can ruin your whole trip by "losing" your bag. To that extent, I consider it $5 well spent for 3-4 bags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hehe it might be true but for that reason plus the airline can lose our bags too, we always cross pack plus have at least some clothes in our carry on as well.

I have found a friendly smile and a truely appreciative thank you goes a long way with those porters.

Have you ever watched other cruisers at the port where you drop off the bags? A big surprising number does not tip ! I am thinking very few bags goes missing on every cruise.

And then when you read a thread like this, it seems almost 99% of people tip very generously . Interesting !

I always tip $1 or $2 (like others, round up to $5 if it's 3-4 bags), and have had varying success. Most times, the bags appear when/where they're supposed to and life is good. Other times, despite the tip, they are mis-directed and/or I have to hunt them down, usually to the Purser's Office.

Once, I think this was in Sydney, I tipped like normal, and by the time I found my bags, hours later, all the cruise luggage tags were missing. Obviously, the tip didn't 'grease the skids' in this case.

Perhaps I'm very naive, but do you honestly think that if you don't tip, your bags are targeted to go missing or be damaged (totally by accident, of course)?

These guys make a lot more $$ than I do. Granted, the work is much harder, physically, but it's not rocket surgery. ; )

• Like 1

Granted, the work is much harder, physically, but it's not rocket surgery. ; )

Nor is it brain science! :D

I'm with the buck-a-bag crowd. If I'm shelling out a few thou for a cruise vacation, obsessing over the small change stuff takes the fun out of it. I'd rather risk overtipping ($1 per bag versus not at all) and be able to fantasize I'm well-heeled enough that it doesn't matter.

Perhaps I'm very naive, but do you honestly think that if you don't tip, your bags are targeted to go missing or be damaged (totally by accident, of course)?

These guys make a lot more $$ than I do. Granted, the work is much harder, physically, but it's not rocket surgery. ; )

Exactly! There's not a lot of places to "hide" luggage when they're being scanned. Plus, there's lots of people there, watching, who aren't dependent on tips. If a porter were walking off with a bag into an area where it didn't belong, someone would notice and say something. Greedy porters play up the misconception that they are responsible for your luggage getting to the ship. They take it to a bin where another worker, who has no idea what you tipped, processes the luggage. Yet another worker, who has no idea what you tipped, takes the luggage to the ship.

I have never heard of someone's luggage not making it on the ship because they stiffed the porter. I would think that a story like that would get a lot of attention, especially here on CC.

Edited by cruiseloverandagent
  • Like 2