Docking in St Thomas

O2B@Cagain

In a wonderful decision, the governor of the U.S.Virgin Islands decided not to allow the spoils from the harbor dredging for the Oasis of the Seas to be dumped in Lindbergh Bay. Until they can find an appropriate place to dump the spoils, the Oasis will dock at Crown Bay every Tuesday starting December 8th. All Princess and HAL ships for this season (09-10) that were to dock at Crown Bay on Tuesdays will dock at Havensight instead. They hope to have everything straightened out by the 2010-11 season...

In a wonderful decision, the governor of the U.S.Virgin Islands decided not to allow the spoils from the harbor dredging for the Oasis of the Seas to be dumped in Lindbergh Bay. Until they can find an appropriate place to dump the spoils, the Oasis will dock at Crown Bay every Tuesday starting December 8th. All Princess and HAL ships for this season (09-10) that were to dock at Crown Bay on Tuesdays will dock at Havensight instead. They hope to have everything straightened out by the 2010-11 season...

Care to share the link?

I just checked; and, it appears that we will be in St. Thomas, on the Ruby, on Saturday, March 13, 2010. Accordingly, it would appear that we will dock at Crown Bay. This presents no problem for us, since we enjoy Emerald beach; and, of course, we hope that it is clean.

Oh darn! I was hoping we'll be in STT Tuesday - want to go to Al Cohen's this trip - but we'll be there on a Monday. I love Crown Bay for getting to beaches, but when I want to shop, I prefer Havensight to the downtown area.

Since there was a little talk about the docking of the Oasis of the Seas, just for the heck of it I did a little "snooping" about the docking facilities in St Thomas at Havesight. Right

now, the docking pier at Havensight is 2740 feet in length. The length of the Oasis of the Seas is listed at 1181 feet; therefore if another long ship such as a Voyager class which is 1021 feet in length happens to be in St Thomas the same day, little space is left over for another ship at the port unless it's a ship of about 500 ft in length. Looks to me that they're going to have a lot of problems when Oasis shows up in St Thomas. A few years ago I sailed on the Norway which was the longest ship in the world at that time at a length of about 1020 feet. We couldn't dock at Havensight and had to tender in to Charlotte Amalie. It should be very interesting when Oasis sails into St Thomas with their "load" of 5400 passengers along wth a few other ships the same day. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's all handelled. :rolleyes:

Since there was a little talk about the docking of the Oasis of the Seas, just for the heck of it I did a little "snooping" about the docking facilities in St Thomas at Havesight. Right

now, the docking pier at Havensight is 2740 feet in length. The length of the Oasis of the Seas is listed at 1181 feet; therefore if another long ship such as a Voyager class which is 1021 feet in length happens to be in St Thomas the same day, little space is left over for another ship at the port unless it's a ship of about 500 ft in length. Looks to me that they're going to have a lot of problems when Oasis shows up in St Thomas. A few years ago I sailed on the Norway which was the longest ship in the world at that time at a length of about 1020 feet. We couldn't dock at Havensight and had to tender in to Charlotte Amalie. It should be very interesting when Oasis sails into St Thomas with their "load" of 5400 passengers along wth a few other ships the same day. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's all handelled. :rolleyes:

We'll be in St. Thomas on the Ruby January 12. We'll be there with three other ships for a total of 14,556 passengers. Should be interesting!

The reason why the Norway couldn't dock at the time was because of its draft not its length. The harbor wasn't deep enough.

The Oasis will dock at Crown Bay every Tuesday.

How does the Oasis itinerary work? They run the same trip every week?

Seems like a simple easy schedule for such a big ship?

Good news for my group, since we will be in port on a Saturday :)

We'll be in St. Thomas on the Ruby January 12. We'll be there with three other ships for a total of 14,556 passengers. Should be interesting!

When we are there on the Ruby on our March 20th sailing, there will be over 18,000 passengers in town, including those on the Oasis, assuming all ships will be full.....and you add to the some crew members, that will be alot of people roaming around.

On our March 30th sailing, when we are in St Thomas, it will be Good Friday, and most people will be off work. Not a good day to hit the beach either. Might just stay on board both times.

This site works well. I use to go to another web site, but they wanted me to buy a subscription to get info.... so I found this free site-

http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php

Hey that is very nice!! We will have less than 3300 in St. Thomas the day we show up.....the Wind Spirit will be there....very small pax load.

This site works well. I use to go to another web site, but they wanted me to buy a subscription to get info.... so I found this free site-

http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php

Thanks for the link! I knew of the other site but didn't want to pay for the info. It's great that there's still a free source of info. Is it accurate? It's showing that we will be the only boat in port at St. Thomas, which I'm finding a little hard to believe. I'll certainly enjoy St. Thomas more if that's true!

NRWPA: LOL. I have never heard anyone who had Al Cohen's on their to-do list! ;)

Howard: There is additionally a "dolphin" which essentially extends the length of the dock at Havensight for three ship days. As gatour said, the problem with the Norway was the draft.

markstudy: The article in the Daily News indicated that this season, the Oasis of the Seas will dock weekly. For the 2010-11 season, it will alternate weeks with another, new Royal Caribbean behemoth (sorry, can't remember the name.)

chrysalis: Another thing about Good Friday in the USVI is you cannot buy a drink between 9 and 4pm. So that might make your decision either easier or more difficult! :rolleyes:

And as to where boats dock, they have a plan, but sometimes change at the last minute, although HAL and Princess are USUALLY at Crown Bay.

Archived