OASIS for 4 nights or SOLSTICE for 7 HELP!!!

golfusaofcs

Alittle background. I have been on 10 plus cruises my wife about 4. We have been on 3 since we have been married with the last one on Navigator of the Seas. We are both in our late twenty's and enjoy the finer things in life. Problem is last cruise on the Navigator was very choppy and my wife didn't feel right. She really is nervous about going on a 7 day if she doesn't feel good. So she keeps suggesting 4 days when to me there really is nothing that appeals to me. Here comes in the OASIS. 4 days really to nowhere "Labadee" since we are not really beach people. She really wants to go on OASIS says I am cheap because I don't see that spending 2k for an inside cabin for 4 days makes sense, but I do want to make her happy. I have really researched the Solstice and it really seams to appeal to me. I have explained numerous times that this seven day itenary has the same amount of sea days as the OASIS, still worried. I have driven my rep at Cruise.com crazy holding cabins over and over and really need some closure. Please help Dates are Dec 1 Oasis January 17th on the Solstice and please don't suggest both as that will NEVER happen!!!!!!

Being cheap has nothing to do with it. The 2 ships a completely different and you will have to ask yourself what do I want? Do I need all the bells and whistles like the Flowrider or the zip line etc. or are you looking for a quiter sort of atmosphere. Whistles and bells = Oasis quiter more subdued = Solstice.

OH one other thing to help the wife maybe choose a cabin way down and mid ships if the budget won't allow a balcony mid ships. Now if this is your only vacation this year I would go for the 7 days. 4 days is too short to travel along distance to the port and the packing is a chore.

Well I'd go for the Solstice on 1/17.....but maybe that's because I'm already booked on that sailing!!!:)

I have no desire to sail on Oasis...just TOO BIG..

But I do like some Royal ships, ie the Jewel. You state you both like the "finer things in life" if so the decision should be easy. Royal is MUCH more casual than Celebrity, food not as good, service not as good (generally...not always)...

Also Solstice is sailing an eastern Caribbean route 1/17 and I've been on a couple of those...never had a problem with rough seas.... It's long after hurricane season so that REALLY shouldn't be a problem...and anyway perhaps getting the "seasick" patch for your wife would be helpful. My sister used one last year because she felt kind of queasy on her 1st cruise and she never had a problem and that was a TEN night cruise during hurricane season.

For me the decision is easy, 7 nights vs 4...7 wins hands down, especially on a Celebrity ship and a new one at that. I don't think it has anything to do with being cheap.... The Oasis may be wonderful but I think the actual "cruise" experience is lost on any ship that big.....

I agree with Gracie. We have cruised appr. 25 time in the last 11 years; and, we still feel that the Celebrity M and S class are the best. On the other hand we have cruised five times on the Radiance; and, we were also pleased with that ship, which we categorize as above average, while we feel that the Celebrity M and S class are premium. Insofar as the Oasis is concerned, it simply has more bells and whistles than we old folks desire.

I've been on the Solstice and will be on the January 17th cruise. Obviously, I love the ship. Don't think that I would be interested in the Oasis. Just too big and I believe too expensive. Ive been on many RCCL cruises and I've found quality has been on a steady decline. That being said, you are not me. The Oasis may be of greater interest for a 20 something. There are more activities that you might enjoy,but be aware of crowds. I would wait for a review or two of the Oasis before making a final decision.

I would never pick a 4 day cruise over one for 7 days. It will take you 4 days just to navigate the Oasis. Bigger is not always better. I have been on Solstice and would take her over any other. Stay in the middle of the ship, many benefits, less rocking and near the elevators.

Pat

2K for a 4 night cruise is way to expensive! We are paying just a little more than that for 10 day Equinox in a CC cabin!

I also agree that 4 days= too much work getting packed, flying down and then the 4 days fly by.

Solstice Class ships have gotten rave reviews and 7 days in January would be the perfect cruise after all the holidays are over. Then next year try the Oasis after they have worked out the kinks and the price goes down.

Let your wife read these posts too!

Bev

In my opinion, your wife would do well to find something which works for her in case of seasickness. There are a number of things and different ones seem to work for different folks. Many seasoned cruisers use these things from time to time.

Your wife has gone on three cruises, so I wonder why she is hesitant now after being uncomfortable once. My husband was uncomfortable once on a ship which had broken stabilizers and was really rocking. He has not been bothered on a cruise since even though we have encountered some rough seas.

I would check out the boards and see what others are using for discomfort, packing some of each of those things and if the need arises, try them one by one to find out what works for her.

You seem to be a confirmed and seasoned cruiser, so I think it would be to her benefit to find out what it takes to make it work and it may be nothing at all - like my husband, it could be a one-time thing for her.

This seems kind of rambling, but I hope some of it is helpful to you and to your wife.

Doris

The Dec. 1 Oasis cruise is a pre-inaugural. Will they have worked out all the kinks by that point? Maybe. But, more likely not. The crew will not be as experienced as on the Solstice. Unless being one of the first pax on Oasis is important to you, I'd go with Solstice.

Do the 7-day Solstice cruise now. Do a 7-day Oasis cruise later when the prices are more reasonable and the "novelty" has worn off a bit.

I'd like to 'try" this new monster of the Sea, but ya, I'd wait until the novelty wears off a bit too.

The winner seems to be seven days on the Solstice.

If you post the same question over in the Royal Caribbean section, I am pretty sure the winner will change to the Oacis of the Seas.

The Oacis of the Seas has no appeal for me. I have no desire to be on a floating city. If I wish to visit a city, I generally pick a real one and do a land based trip.

On the other hand, I can not imagine any couple in their late 20s who enjoy the finer things in life who would have anything but a great time on the Solstice.

If you need round the clock entertainment options, choose the Oasis.. but wait till it's been "around the block" so to speak. It is basdically a floating land resort. Prices will fall when the novelty runs out.

If you wnt some interesting ports and a beautiful classy ship, head to the Solstice.

We wouldn't be interested in the Oasis cruises, even for free. If we wanted a big ship experieince, we'd tryone of the other RCL classes. They are PLENTY big. Basically we'll stick with Celebrity. Hope they don't don't bulid em any larger.

Weather of course varies when you cruise. Perhaps look for a differnt time of year, and your wife won't feel the ship. Ginger works great, a patch, bonine etc. A 4 day cruise goes by in a flash. By the time you unpack the first day is gone. And remember the last day ends by 9 a.m.

What's left???

I agree with the previous posters- take the Solstice you would not be dissapointed- I sailed her twice- and there were almost no movements of the ship- even in bad weather she cut right through the waves. On the other hand may this the same on board Oasis- I am also not very interessted in this new " Monster of the Seas" ( nice ) .

Thank You for all your responses. They have been great. It's funny I did post the same exact ? in the OASIS forum and only got 3 responses, but you know what they were all for the Solstice. Don't get me wrong I really want to go on the OASIS. I think as a cruiser we at least owe it too ourselves to at least see it once. It truly looks incredible. My wife has read each post and I believe we are leaning once again to the Solstice. I just hope those seas are fine!!!! You won't see me on here much more if they are not!!!!!!!

From what I read about this new megaship, 4 days isn't nearly enough time to explore it!

Glad you've decided on the Solstice for your upcoming cruise. Hopefully your DW will experience smooth sailing and be up for a longer cruise on the Oasis.

If you wnt some interesting ports and a beautiful classy ship, head to the Solstice.

We wouldn't be interested in the Oasis cruises, even for free. If we wanted a big ship experieince, we'd tryone of the other RCL classes. They are PLENTY big. Basically we'll stick with Celebrity. Hope they don't don't bulid em any larger.

I totally agree. I am a Diamond-Plus member on RCCL and have cruised them for over 25 years.......BUT, I am not interested in these huge, behemouths of the seas and have no intention of ever sailing on the Oasis. Just too darn big and too many people! :eek:

The Solstice is a stunningly beautiful ship and we truly enjoyed our 7-day cruise on her in January.

But, like some have said here, if you want constant non-stop activities and all the bells & whistles, then the Oasis would be for you (even though the price you quoted for a 4-day cruise is staggering).

Try choosing the lowest cabin you can get in the middle of the ship and you will find the seasick problem will be a lot less.

I would avoid the Oasis. RCI has cut the quality of the food to below accectable standards. They have also cut and cut everything. You get nothing beyond the bare basics.

They have the $15 steak charge in the MDR. They charge for room service between certin hours.

On the Oasis if you want a cupcake it's an extra charge as well as most of their dining choices.

Plus 7 is a better number than 4

The winner seems to be seven days on the Solstice.

If you post the same question over in the Royal Caribbean section, I am pretty sure the winner will change to the Oacis of the Seas.

The Oacis of the Seas has no appeal for me. I have no desire to be on a floating city. If I wish to visit a city, I generally pick a real one and do a land based trip.

On the other hand, I can not imagine any couple in their late 20s who enjoy the finer things in life who would have anything but a great time on the Solstice.

I don't think people have in anyway been bias when asked by the OP. Infact all have taken stand on the two major differances brought up. The huge differance in cost between the 2 at the moment and the fact that the ships are 2 completely different products.

I too will try the Oasis one day when all the hype is over but when choosing between the 2 one has to understand the differances between the two lines. It is even more drastic than apples and oranges!

we have been on Solstice twice--loved it each time--so elegant-- lots to do---not a floating mall....although it is large it is "comfy"..

I would never go on Oasis--just too large & not what cruising is about for us--saw it on TV today & feel it is just too big..how could they properly serve & feed so many guests? --also looks like it might be very windy in those open areas,,,

taste is subjective however-- but 7 days over 5 wins--& X over Royal C for dining & service anytime......

Well we are booked on the Solstice!!!. Thank you for all of your comments. In the end the OASIS just didn't make sense for the 4 day Maybe in the next year because after watching all of these videos and seeing all these pictures I don't know how I could not go on it. It truly seems unreal.

Well we are booked on the Solstice!!!. Thank you for all of your comments. In the end the OASIS just didn't make sense for the 4 day Maybe in the next year because after watching all of these videos and seeing all these pictures I don't know how I could not go on it. It truly seems unreal.

You should join our roll call for 1/17 cruise...starting to liven up a bit as we get closer and you might find some interesting info about the Solstice there too!!

Archived