Booking With US Sites & US TA's

LuckiePuris

Received an email last night through cruise critic of these prices to cruise on the Volendam and this is including airfares from America, these prices are about $600 more than what the cruises alone are being sold here for and they are including upto $600 obc:

Holland America Air-Inclusive

air-sm-blk-plane.gif

Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific Sailings

Promotion expires: Friday 5/14/10

Not valid with any other promotion or discount

New Bookings Only

BONUS:

Book one of the following air-inclusive sailings and receive:

- Up to $ 600 Shipboard Credit per cabin.

Call for details.

10/22/10 Volendam- 14 nt. Australia/New Zealand

INCLUDING AIRFARE

(Auckland/NZ, Tauranga/NZ, Napier/NZ, Wellington/NZ, Picton/NZ, Christchurch/NZ, Dunedin/NZ, Hobart/AU, Canberra/AU, Sydney/AU)

Inside: $ 2598 pp

Oceanview: $ 2698 pp

Verandah Suite: $ 5098 pp

11/05/10 Volendam- 14 nt. Pacific Treasures

INCLUDING AIRFARE

(Sydney/AU, Ile de Pines/NEW CALEDONIA, Port Vila.VANUATU, Wala Island/MALAKULA, Luganville/VANUATU, Lautoka/FIJI, Dravuni Island/FUJI, Noumea/NEW CALEDONIA, Sydney/AU)

Inside: $ 2498 pp

Oceanview: $ 2598 pp

Verandah Suite: $ 3898 pp

11/19/10 Volendam- 14 nt. Australia/New Zealand

INCLUDING AIRFARE

(Sydney/AU, Melbourne/AU, Burnie/AU, Milford Sound/NZ, Fjordland National Park/NZ, Dunedin/NZ, Christchurch/NZ, Picton/NZ, Wellington/NZ, Napier/NZ, Tauranga/NZ, Auckland/NZ)

Inside: $ 2498 pp

Oceanview: $ 2598 pp

Verandah Suite: $ 4098 pp

12/03/10- Volendam- 14 nt. Australia/New Zealand

INCLUDING AIRFARE

(Auckland/NZ, Tauranga/NZ, Napier/NZ, Wellington/NZ, Picton/NZ, Akaroa(Christchurch)/NZ, Dunedin/NZ, Hobart/AU, Canberra/AU, Sydney/AU)

Inside: $ 2398 pp

Oceanview: $ 2498 pp

Verandah Suite: $ 3898 pp

INCLUDES AIRFARE Roundtrip:

Los Angeles and San Francisco

As promised, here is the official response that I received from the ACCC to my complaint about the discriminatory pricing policies against Australians that have been established by the cruise lines:

"Thank you for your email of 1 may 2010 to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (the ACCC) regarding the higher price charged by Princess Cruises for cruises purchased in Australia. I also understand from your email that Australians can only purchase cruises through the Australian website of Princess Cruises.

The role of the ACCC is to ensure compliance with the Trade Practices Act 1974 (TPA), which is designed to encourage fair trading and discourage anti-competitive conduct through a specific set of competition and consumer protection rules.

I understand and sympathise with your concerns about the high prices that consumers pay for some products in the retail market compared to international prices. The ACCC is constrained by the legislation it administers and there are no provisions in the TPA that prohibit this type of conduct. The ACCC has no power to set or control prices for goods and services at either the retail or wholesale levels. This means that Princess Cruises are free to set their own prices and can charge a higher price to Australian consumers if they wish.

The price of cruises is not declared under Part VIIA. In these circumstances businesses are free to determine their own pricing policies and provided that they do this independently it is unlikely to raise concerns under the TPA.

Thank you for contacting the ACCC. I regret that I am unable to be of more assistance to you."

From the above, it appears that the ACCC is powerless to act in this situation and although there has been a relaxation of the booking restrictions by some cruise lines in the last few days we are still along way from the desired "level playing field" for cruise passengers who just happen to reside in Australia.

Perhaps its time to try to interest the current affair programs again and see if they can look beyond their advertising revenues this time:rolleyes:.

Garry

Perhaps its time to try to interest the current affair programs again and see if they can look beyond their advertising revenues this time:rolleyes:.

Garry

Sounds like a plan Garry. The more Aussies that understand that they are getting ripped off, the more chance that Princess will come to the party. At the moment, with the industry just starting to boom, people are just starting to get hooked on cruising in Australia. The more people that understand the pricing policies and its discrepancies, the more chance something will get done.

I am looking to book on Volendam for the South Pacific cruise in January so I was very interested to see those prices....

I had a talk with my favourite T/A today re our complaints...she said the meeting held in Sydney over the weekend may produce some better results for us from Princess...hope so!

If the ACCC can't help, then there is no alternative but to find another avenue to make the 'cruising public' aware that it should be 'their choice' where and who they book their cruise with. The rest of the world get the opportunity to 'choose' when booking their cruises.

We all know at the end of the day, it all comes down to price.

Either we 'downunder' get given the choice of whom we wish to book our next cruise with to get the best price, or, Princess need to reduce their fares to a more comparible per person price than they do at present.

PS: I thought the ACCC were here to protect us, joe public:confused:

Jillybean:)

Hate to burst the bubble but we booked a Princess cruise with a U.S agent only two weeks ago..........so "CHOICE" is still there........

as far as pricing goes i fully agree that it's time for a "PLEASE EXPLAIN"

cheers Shiona

Hate to burst the bubble but we booked a Princess cruise with a U.S agent only two weeks ago.........so "CHOICE" is still there........

As far as pricing goes i fully agree that it's time for a "PLEASE EXPLAIN"

cheers Shiona

Hi Shona and John

Can you give me an email sometime to contact as we want to ask a few questions

We are cancelling South America and now looking at Arcadia etc

Regards

Shirley sjohnstone3@optusnet.com.au

Yes Yes Yes come join us on the Arcadia you and John, mum, Al and Nancy........if not all the way at least through to Bangkok.........email on the way........cheers Shiona

One area the ACCC should be able to do something is about the false advertising....no not the "premium, newest liner etc." that's just advertising hyperbole but the pricing on advertising..."50% off etc." I always thought that the law was the price has to be honest...it has to be 50% off the price that it normally sells for unless it states otherwise...I don't think any of the P and O brochures or adds are honest. No one is paying 50% off a real price.

But, Rugbypopsie, no Cruise line is honest in that respect. They all advertise a percentage off, when they never appear to charge the so-called full fare. It's just a 'marketing ploy' and you have to do the investigating for the best price, yourself.

Also, the ACCC is just a 'toothless tiger'. I can't recall them ever doing anything to right the wrongs imposed on us. Now I'm being really negative! :D

One area the ACCC should be able to do something is about the false advertising....no not the "premium, newest liner etc." that's just advertising hyperbole but the pricing on advertising..."50% off etc." I always thought that the law was the price has to be honest...it has to be 50% off the price that it normally sells for unless it states otherwise...I don't think any of the P and O brochures or adds are honest. No one is paying 50% off a real price.

You are so right rugbypopsie, there is no such thing as an 'actual' price per person for a cruise, therefore there is not such a thing as a 'percentage' off either.

Jillybean:)

It would seem its the Cruise Lines that are out to get us.

I have been following the price of the Sapphire Princess cruise from Seattle to Sydney in Sept this year.

I would really love to do that one as it takes in Hawaii and Tahiti on its way down through the Pacific.

On the Roll Call they were discussing the current prices and a poster put up the US dollar prices on the Princess site. I checked again and of course can only get them up in NZ dollars, however I converted it to US on todays exchange rate and here is what we are being charged by Princess

Interior $7,166.66NZ*..........converts to $US 5,127.44

Oceanview $7,572.76*..............$US 5,417.94

Obstructed Oceanview $8,071.96*...$US 5,774.99

Balcony $8,721.56*................$US 6,240.08

Mini-Suite/Suite $9,463.56*.......$US 6,770.99

The two prices quoted for Americans on their website was

Inside 3099 pp.

Oceanview obstructed 4299.

It is possible for some to be 'sold' at brochure price. One example is to hold a competition and the promotions dept gets invoiced at full rate, and in the process they have a 'sale' and a larger (tax) deduction for next to no cost to the company.

I don't think any of the P and O brochures or adds are honest. No one is paying 50% off a real price.

I laughed when I read the fine print on one line's ads. It said something along the lines that the 'original price was an advertised price only and no bookings or purchases may have been made at that price.' I suspect probably another piece required due to American litigation.

As I recall though, P&O does delineate the pricing and paying full price does offer some benefits as far as refunds. Again, though, most people are booking discounted prices.

It would seem its the Cruise Lines that are out to get us.

This is exactly the type of example that I gave to the ACCC when I lodged my complaint.

You can see their response in a previous post on this thread.

I compared the official US Princess website price for a particular cabin category on a particular cruise with the same category and cruise priced on the Australian official Princess website. The result was that the US website was 20% cheaper.

However, when you look for "best available" pricing then you find that US TAs can be as much as 50% cheaper than the local TAs for the same cruise.

In addition, local TAs usually want $800pp or more deposit (transferable but generally not refundable) with balances being paid 4-5 months before the actual cruise. US TAs will book you on $100pp deposit (refundable if canceled prior to final payment), offer lowest price guarantees and require balance payments usually only 2 months prior to the cruise date.

I want to book locally and support the local industry, but it is hard to justify in the face of huge price differences and very restrictive booking policies that are imposed on us by the local operators:confused:.

Sandielle you are right I should have said that P and O are not the only cruise line guilty of falsifying discount percentages in their ads, it just rankles..it is dishonest. For many families saving for a cruise holiday takes them a long time they deserve better advertising standards.

Do I do my own research ...you bet...but I feel for the naive and trusting who get ripped off regularly!! Retail shops are not allowed to advertise goods in this manner why should cruise lines get away with it.

I have just booked again HAL this time so that's a new one for me..see you on the Volendaam in January.

Sandielle you are right I should have said that P and O are not the only cruise line guilty of falsifying discount percentages in their ads, it just rankles..it is dishonest. For many families saving for a cruise holiday takes them a long time they deserve better advertising standards.

Do I do my own research ...you bet...but I feel for the naive and trusting who get ripped off regularly!! Retail shops are not allowed to advertise goods in this manner why should cruise lines get away with it.

I have just booked again HAL this time so that's a new one for me..see you on the Volendaam in January.

Please remember, Princess, P&O, HAL, Costa, Cunard are ALL part of Carnival Corporation, it is Carnival Corp that is blocking us booking with US T/A's. It is Carnival Corp that is jacking up the Aussie cruise prices.

i have just received some good news from the biggest TA in the US that they can book us with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara

rkmw

RCI and Celebrity (and by implication Azamara) are still on the list that I get on that site? The list is ---

Celebrity

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

I have booked a number of HAL cruises through US agents with no difficulty until recently when 2 of the agents I have used say HAL is now enforcing the previously unenforced prohibition against booking non US and Canadian residents.

We are mainly interested in Princess and HAL because of the longer cruises and interesting itineraries, so from our viewpoint the situation seems to be getting worse, not better.

RCI and Celebrity (and by implication Azamara) are still on the list that I get on that site? The list is ---

Celebrity

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

I have booked a number of HAL cruises through US agents with no difficulty until recently when 2 of the agents I have used say HAL is now enforcing the previously unenforced prohibition against booking non US and Canadian residents.

We are mainly interested in Princess and HAL because of the longer cruises and interesting itineraries, so from our viewpoint the situation seems to be getting worse, not better.

They (Princess and HAL) come under the 'Carnival' umbrella so Carnival are calling the shots there.

Jillybean

If you go into the 90 day ticker section and click on the international visitor site up the top right hand section of the page where the flags are you will find this......

International Booking Rules We are able to offer the deeply discounted U.S. rates of most of the cruise lines we represent to citizens of other countries. However, the following cruise lines now prohibit all U.S. travel agencies (including ***) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a *** policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines.

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Princess*

Star Clippers

*Residents of Mexico are permitted to book Princess through ***

Note: Residents of the U.K. and Australia may not book P&O Cruises through ***

Archived