Preview, Live , Review STT - SJU 5 Day 12/13/09

zqvol

A week from now, we will be in CLT awaiting our USscareways flight to STT to join SDII. We have two excited children ready to go (well as much as we talk about children these don't really count since the youngest is 21). Zoltan has promised lots of exotic beverages, and I'm sure that Capt T and the commodore will take good care of us.:)

Now I guess it is time to drag the snorkel bag out and make sure that we have all the gear. The rest of the packing can wait until later in the week.:)

Will I blog this trip? Good question? Only time will tell but rest assured that when we get home, unless I can find a place to hide a review will appear.:)

Started the official packing process last night . . . like Jim . . . will make it with carry on luggage, probably the only member of the family to do so.

This morning has been devoted to a discussion about what to do next Sunday in St. Thomas before boarding. One family member will be shopping for a camera . .boys and their toys.

Any suggestions regarding beaches/snorkeling? Luckily, only one mid sized ship will in port that day, so it doesn't appear we'll be over run. But when we are in St. Maarten, the new monstrosity Oasis of the Seas is scheduled to be in Phillipsburg. :eek:Hope the seas allow us to be in Marigot as planned.

The official count down has begun. My goal is to make through the week without getting fired at work:rolleyes:

FT

I am guessing that you don't want to take the ferry over to STJ for snorkeling as you will want to board EXACTLY at 2 p.m. Still, since you are an early riser you could take the ferry to STJ and snorkel a bit at Trunk Bay and then head back around noon to STT.

There really isn't any great snorkeling on STT. Magen's Bay is a beautiful calm beach but not a lot of snorkeling. The beach at the Marriott Morning Star is okay and it does have a great beach bar/restaurant where we usually hang out before heading to catch the yacht.

I am presuming you are heading down the day before catching the yacht. Depending upon where you are staying you might be able to get your snorkel fix in there.

Started the official packing process last night . . . like Jim . . . will make it with carry on luggage, probably the only member of the family to do so.

This morning has been devoted to a discussion about what to do next Sunday in St. Thomas before boarding. One family member will be shopping for a camera . .boys and their toys.

Any suggestions regarding beaches/snorkeling? Luckily, only one mid sized ship will in port that day, so it doesn't appear we'll be over run. But when we are in St. Maarten, the new monstrosity Oasis of the Seas is scheduled to be in Phillipsburg. :eek:Hope the seas allow us to be in Marigot as planned.

The official count down has begun. My goal is to make through the week without getting fired at work:rolleyes:

FT

Don't miss the Sunset Bar at Maho Bay. A 15 minute cab ride from either Philipsburg or Marigot. Much better than the "Fly Zone" commando training.

J

I am presuming you are heading down the day before catching the yacht. Depending upon where you are staying you might be able to get your snorkel fix in there.

Yes, we are going down the day before. No way would I risk missing boarding exactly at 2. especially when its only a 5 day voyage at that.

we want to do something a bit different . . . .or at least I do. . . we've done the St. John ferry and Trunk bay before. We've also stayed at Secret Garden and Frenchman's Reef before . . . so I'm trying to find a different beach.

And yes Jim, your review has definitely put MAHO beach on our to do list on St. Maarten. that's if I get off the yacht. . . Of course the family may do without me . . . there's just something about my little corner of the pool deck and a lightweight novel . . . and the never empty glasses of champagne . . . and sparkling water . . . and clean sunglasses . . . . :D:D:D

FT

No cabin assignment yet, but did hear through the grapevine that our cruise is full . . . Artlee better get the yacht back in time so they can restock the champagne and sparkling water, though if difficult decisions have to be made, I vote to skip the sparkling water :D

ZQVol got a great deal on a jeep in St. Bart's so I guess I will get off the yacht at least once . . . :rolleyes:

FT

No cabin assignment yet, but did hear through the grapevine that our cruise is full . . . Artlee better get the yacht back in time so they can restock the champagne and sparkling water, though if difficult decisions have to be made, I vote to skip the sparkling water :D

ZQVol got a great deal on a jeep in St. Bart's so I guess I will get off the yacht at least once . . . :rolleyes:

FT

Come on FT ... you know you got off at every port of call we made in March:p Not getting off the yacht is my specialty:D

FT

On one of our trips to St Thomas, we went on a sailing/snorkeling trip with Captain Max. We did it for a whole day, but I believe that she does half day trips, too. Captain Max was just great, and she found the best snorkeling spots. Her boat leaves from Red Hook. It's a small boat, and the number of people she takes is very limited, which is good.

Zimmy,

thanks very much for the info on Captain Max -- any contact information? how did you find her?

We're staying at El Conquistador for a couple of days after leaving SD in San Juan and looks like the moon is going to be a stage where we can do a bioluminescence tour. I'm pushing for a kayak excursion -- so anyone have recommendations? And should I look for a car service or would a taxi from the SD dock to the east shore of Puerto Rico be the easiest route? all these details . . . .

FT

Zimmy,

thanks very much for the info on Captain Max -- any contact information? how did you find her?

FT

http://www.sailwithcaptainmax.com

I found her on Cruise Critic, and then did my usual research. You know, see who the poster is and then see what other posts they have. I try to determine whether it is an honest recommendation or the individual herself touting her service. That's pretty much how we find all our guides, other than those who are contracted by our travel agent. The people on Cruise Critic are usually pretty terrific, and honest, in their recommendations, I've found. We've had very good luck.

Can't help you with the San Juan questions. I suspect ctbjr or TOYBar could.

I like Zimmy's suggestions (like I get a vote:rolleyes:). We used Capt. Bobby on Rumbaba two years ago for a day sail out of STT. I will send you the URL.

Zimmy,

We're staying at El Conquistador for a couple of days after leaving SD in San Juan and looks like the moon is going to be a stage where we can do a bioluminescence tour. I'm pushing for a kayak excursion -- so anyone have recommendations? And should I look for a car service or would a taxi from the SD dock to the east shore of Puerto Rico be the easiest route? all these details . . . .

FT

FT:

I would recommend a car service at a pre agreed rate or rent a car. The taxis are getting fairly pricey if you have any distance to go. Now that we are back, I wish we were on your trip. The pain of re entry.:( Here's hoping you have the fabulous weather and passenger makeup we experienced.

J & L.

Here's hoping you have the fabulous weather and passenger makeup we experienced.

J & L.

SD2 missed Saba yesterday and went right to St. Barths because of weather/seas. All I know is Mother Ocean and Mother Nature better work together so FT makes Jost this trip:D

Cabin assignments have been made:D And Artlee's postings are keeping me wired:D:D:D

Woke up at 1 am worrying that since I took the "green" option and didn't receive luggage labels (you know - the adhesives that you write your name and cabin number on) -- what would happen? The Commodore promptly assured me via e-mail that a lot of people don't use the provided luggage tags and that as long as the luggage is clearly labeled, it will show up in the cabin. What a relief;)

Transportation is arranged in Puerto Rico . . . thanks for the suggestion Jim (of course, if you had done the after sun treatment that last night SD, you might not be losing your tan:rolleyes:) . . .

FT

Pretty much packed and ready to go (at least I am . . .not sure about the rest of the family). Keeping a wary eye on the ever changing weather forecast. Artlee's suggestion about heading to the Charlotte airport Friday night has a lot of merit if the predicted rain changes to ice/snow since everyone knows how well we Southerners handle that (if you've never been down South during the milk/bread shortages that a snow flurry causes, its unbelievable to someone who has a real winter :rolleyes:. . . and if you know how to drive in snow and ice --- stay off the road, 'cause 90% of us don't !!):eek:

FT

P.S. by the way, found out that Linda is coming out of retirement to be our CAD. We've never sailed with her but have heard wonderful things about her so I'm looking foward to meeting her. Will be sorry to miss Meredith-- wonder if DJ is right, and we've scared off a few people? Nah . . . as long as SD stocks enough champagne . . .

Pretty much packed and ready to go (at least I am . . .not sure about the rest of the family). Keeping a wary eye on the ever changing weather forecast. Artlee's suggestion about heading to the Charlotte airport Friday night has a lot of merit if the predicted rain changes to ice/snow since everyone knows how well we Southerners handle that (if you've never been down South during the milk/bread shortages that a snow flurry causes, its unbelievable to someone who has a real winter :rolleyes:. . . and if you know how to drive in snow and ice --- stay off the road, 'cause 90% of us don't !!):eek:

FT

P.S. by the way, found out that Linda is coming out of retirement to be our CAD. We've never sailed with her but have heard wonderful things about her so I'm looking foward to meeting her. Will be sorry to miss Meredith-- wonder if DJ is right, and we've scared off a few people? Nah . . . as long as SD stocks enough champagne . . .

Go for Friday night in CLT. Woo Hoo.:eek: The Day's Inn at the airport is a happening place, or so I am told. I guess Bon Voyage is near. Hope all goes well.

J & L.

The CLT weather for saturday is partly cloudy until well after we take off. Now, I am lazy and can sleep an extra two hours if we go down Friday night but . . .

Don't forget my USScare flight experience of just a week or so ago.:eek: And that didn't even involve the weather.

Linda is a good egg. You're lucky to have the chance to meet her. And vice versa...

Archived