Preview, Live , Review STT - SJU 5 Day 12/13/09

zqvol

No problem. That will be a good opportunity to stop drinking, perhaps.

On SD? . . . .I do know our fridge is stocked with Red Stripe though. James was telling us about his first visit to Norman island and gave you and Toybar credit for introducing him to Bushwhacker. DH enjoyed his this afternoon and he and and DS may be returning for more on an evening tender.

Tenders have been running all afternoon and quite a number of guests have ventured to shore. It was a gorgeous walk up a hill to the top of the island where you could see both coasts and the SD sitting so nicely (as opposed to rocking and rolling in St. Maarten). And another pleasant surprise -- lots and lots of butterflies - orange and black, yellow and white, white with black markings. It was like being in a Disney cartoon with them flitting all around. And there's a nice little patch of snorkeling to the left of the beach. Schools of fish and just about ten feet off shore a huge ray came swimming by. Beware the diving pelicans though. They don't let a human get between them and their dinner.

Quite grateful for the change in plans that kept us away from St. Maarten today. Would love a SD voyage that stayed in these smaller islands.

FT

We love the BVIs as well as the USVI ...

We haven't been to Norman since our last bareboat trip 10 years ago. It is so wonderful that SD has the flexibility to call on these gems like Peter and Norman and of course Virgin Gorda and Tortola (which is fine when there aren't any other ships calling). Someday you'll have to get to Anegada ... our favorite of all the BVIs!

Will be interested in the stats from tonight's SDers cocktail party.

On SD? . . . .I do know our fridge is stocked with Red Stripe though. James was telling us about his first visit to Norman island and gave you and Toybar credit for introducing him to Bushwhacker. DH enjoyed his this afternoon and he and and DS may be returning for more on an evening tender.

Well, maybe we won't quit drinking next month, now that you mention it. Feel free to hand out a few Red Stripes as you deem appropriate. I'm glad that they're resting in a secure location for now though.

Glad to hear that James recalls his prior visit with us to the Pirate's Bight. He's welcome to join us again next month if he's available...

just another jab at CTBJR since he's talking about possible backing out of the Jan. 24 cruise earlier on this thread.

Ouch. These repeated jabs are really hurtful. However, I must ask whether one can "back out" of something to which one has not committed. Just wondering...

Ouch. These repeated jabs are really hurtful. However, I must ask whether one can "back out" of something to which one has not committed. Just wondering...

I feel your pain ctbjr ... and FT gives ME a hard time about jabbing:p

I wonder what place FT came in when they announced the number of nights on board:D

I feel your pain ctbjr ... and FT gives ME a hard time about jabbing:p

I wonder what place FT came in when they announced the number of nights on board:D

just please be advised I was only the messenger on the beer announcement. I'm not creative enough to think of that jab.

Last night the Returning Guest Reception seemed lightly attended, but the owner and his wife made a point of introducing themselves to each guest. Learned they are staying on for the next voyage also. Lovely foi gras appetizers and more caviar. DS has discovered a new food love - caviar. As for return guest nights between us all, we had 1500+ nights but two couples (of which sadly we are not one) accounted for 900+ of those nights. One english couple had more than 650 nights total, each having spent almost a year on board. They boarded with us and are on for a month. I have 60+ nights which would have put me fourth. When Captain T asked me what I would have to do to get the winning number of nights my answer was simple - win the megalottery:rolleyes: Both children do not want to get off. Their cabin is way neater all the time than their on shore rooms and DS disclosed he doesn't leave his clothes on the floor (as opposed to home where they stay on the floor) because the stewardess keeps picking them up and folding them and he felt bad about creating that much work for her.

Captain did discuss a couple of the new itineraries, especially a couple that deal with the wine country in France and mentioned that those were a result of requests from Club members - so keep those comments coming folks.

Tasting menu was last night and there have been a few changes since the last time on board - entree choices were sea bass and lamb. I had the lamb and it was more than a tasting. 3 different cuts - a chop, I believe a shank, and then a tender cut - perfectly cooked. Vegetables were tiny tender green bean and an onion and tiny potato. The sorbet was peach, floating in champage in a martini glass with a mint leave. Beautiful presentation. DS has been taking food pictures at dinner to show his boss who is now planning on booking a SD voyage. Soup was pumpkin, the appetizer was a scrumptious tuna -rare accompanied with scallops and in an amazing liverwurst reduction. the opening course was the wonderful caviar in a hardboiled egg with a bit of creme fraiche. Cheese course mixed tart and sweet flavors with honey drizzled cheese and warm grapes and pistachios. Sorry for the out of order course description, dessert was a chocolate confection,crumb crust and glazed with crushed pistachios, a Dutch recipe of Executive Chef Robert, accompanied by strawberries in Grand Marnier and a champagne creme sauce. DJ, the gold label champagne was out at dinner at our table last night. Two of the little British girls decided to pass on the menu and stayed home with a movie and popcorn but the rest of the guests arrived at dinner - apparently the first on this voyage. Lunches have been hectic. I don't remember except on our charters, every table being filled at 12:30 but that has happened this voyage and we aren't quite full.

Sadly, I learned that I did not close down the piano bar the night before . .. . we have a small group on board that as one staff member states -- "Every party has a beginning and every party has an end. This group just doesn't know how to end" The group left the piano bar at 2:30 a.m. but didn't end where ever they ended until around 7 am yesterday morning. Bartenders looked a little tired today. It got a little bit crazy yesterday afternoon poolside but I wasn't there to witness it. That's the closest thing we've had to a trace of scandal on this cruise.

Have begun the paperwork for a btb in the Med next summer - Amy has been pretty busy this trip with new voyage bookings.

We overnighted at Norman island so it has been very calm. Are scheduled to leave for Jost Van Dyke during breakfast. I believe its only 10 miles or so so we have a short sail. the first zodiak for guests is around 11.

off for sunrise.

FT

Surprised not to have heard a report from Jost today. I hope that excessive Red Stripe consumption didn't cause our intrepid reporter to lose sight of the task at hand: keeping us advised of all goings on aboard SD2 and ashore at Jost!

I was having the same thoughts. Must be packing with a tear in her eye.:D

I was having the same thoughts. Must be packing with a tear in her eye.:D

I don't think that it was Red Stripe that stopped any posts, I think it was the bottomless glass of champagne. FT came back from dinner, packed in five minutes, left the paper work for me to finish up and went to sleep.

I must admit that I have not followed her posts closely this week, in fact this is only the second time I have been in the thread since we got on the ship. I will do a full review with pictures on my website next week.

Today was beautiful, literally not a cloud in the sky, gentle breeze which I estimate at about 5 knots from the east. The water in White Bay was smooth as glass and we had a great time. DS and I ventured to Foxy's and the Soggy Dollar where pain killers were sampled.

I am not much on food details so I will leave that to FT.

We have just upped anchor and left White Bay on our way to San Juan. Captain did not mention motion in the ocean this evening so I expect smooth sailing.

TO DJ safe travels to the mouse house!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU FT and ZQVOL for the wonderful postings this week. It has been fun to log on every day. I feel like I am with you all. I am just sad for you this evening...my least favorite...putting out your luggage. :( I hate that!!! Have a safe trip home, once again THANKS!!!

Surprised not to have heard a report from Jost today. I hope that excessive Red Stripe consumption didn't cause our intrepid reporter to lose sight of the task at hand: keeping us advised of all goings on aboard SD2 and ashore at Jost!

was wringing every last minute of the last day. And contrary to DH's posting -- packing last night seemed to take forever. Even packed cell phone in checked luggage. Really don't want to get off this a.m. We were on the first zodiak for guests to Jost yesterday morning at around 10:40. And were almost the last ones to come back to yacht. DH and DS took a taxi to Foxxy's early on to stock up on hats, etc since we didn't stay for the evening. I wandered down the beach to One Love (no cowboy sighting DisneyJen) and Soggy Dollar. Had to restock on sunscreen. No burns this trip so far and record consumption of sunscreen thanks to the wonderful weather. Snorkeling was very good. Saw some barracudas. C&C Splash kicked off promptly at 12:30. Of course trays of rum punch and pain killers had been circulating for quite a while. Everyone seemed to enjoy and as others have commented - any walls between passenger groups come down when you mingle in the surf all day. I could really do two days on SD in Jost - one for C&C and another just on the beach. Its that gorgeous.

Will be kicked off the yacht as we are very near San Juan (owner's daughter laughed crazily when I asked her pool side yesterday afternoon if anyone had ever tried to stow away in golf simulator) so will post dinner and last evening details later - hear we are missing some bad weather so very glad to be spending a few days here in San Juan.

FT

Off the yacht, but not heading home until Sunday. Sitting in the El Conquistador resort overlooking both the Atlantic and the Caribbean. Much better than sitting in an airplane flying toward the snow that is coming down at home.

Reports to follow next week.

How true! Any trips to the UK scheduled as a result of yesterday's mingling?

while the royalty was quite sociable and very polite to staff (at least as far as I observed) this trip, not quite that much mingling.

a few more random observations. Dinner the last night included Waldorf salad - DS quite liked. At the barbeque on Jost I saw Chef Josselin working on the charcoal for a grill and went to thank him for the wonderful lamb at the tasting menu the night before. He then responded to a comment we had made to a waiter on a side dish a couple of nights before, calling me by name. You think I'd be used to the 5 star attention of SD, but I was still taken a back. No wonder we all keep going back to SD.

chit chatting quite a bit with various SD sales folks on this trip leads me to believe that SD isn't hurting as much in this economy as some of its competitors -thus why we aren't seeing the further price reductions. Good for SD and it sounds like there may be an end at the tunnel for the charter business, not in the immediate future but at the end of 2010.

Went ahead and booked the back to back Greece trip for next summer. 15% on ship discount plus 10% on 2nd voyage only. Nice little savings. The Captain recommends the Ephesus concert, so it will definitely be on the to do list. This definitely takes the sting off the SD withdrawal pains.

Last night dinner on board included a special cake to celebrate DD's birthday. Surprise included a decorated cabin. Made it a special event. Nothing like celebrating a birthday on SD.

Disembarking in San Juan was a little bit different - no immigration formalities on board. down the gangplank and into the terminal, picked up luggage and cleared both immigration and customs at one stop. Most painless procedure ever. Now saying goodbye to all, including Christophe and Captain T was a bit sad, but having that next one booked helps. And I pulled a Cammiem - have a few napkins and coasters stowed away.

If you are looking for an excursion in San Juan, we definitely recommended the kayak tour of biolumenesent bay. The sparkling single cell organisms are unbelievable. We took the later tour and were all non kayakers. And our coordination impaired kayak was definitely a challenge for the guides who were fantastic. Through mangrove channels to a bay -sometimes it was so dark you could barely see the kayak in front of you - but the organism were so concentrated the water flowing off the kayaks sparkled like diamonds were flowing through it.

off to another day in almost paradise -not on SD, but in the sun.

Happy holidays.

FT

FT--

Have really enjoyed your postings! Hope to be enjoying SD I in three weeks but with the Christmas mania and all can't quite get it thru my head. Your reports are great reminders of the reasons to travel SD. How wonderful for your children to enjoy it with you--and you with them.

I don't know when or how far northeast you're traveling, but my advice for now--stay where you are! I'm sure you've seen the weather reports.

Take care!

while the royalty was quite sociable and very polite to staff (at least as far as I observed) this trip.

Well, that's quite encouraging. I guess that what they about old U.K. dogs may not be completely true...

I'm glad that you got to mingle a bit with Chef Josselin. He's quite personable, not to mention a fantastic chef. Sadly, he's going on holiday the day that we are scheduled to board next month but I expect that we'll be able to make do with Executive Chef Robert.

Good for you to book the btb Greek Island trips next summer. Sounds fantastic. Will be interested to know which specific itineraries you'll be doing. The Capt. is right on in his recommendation for Ephesus concert. I would take it one step farther and suggest that you not only do the concert which is in the evening but also visit Ephesus during the daytime. Hopefully, both itineraries include Kusadasi so that you can do one visit each week. We did both the same day a few years ago and while well worthwhile made for an extraordinarily long and tiring day.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and insights during your cruise. It was much appreciated and of course set the bar rather high for those following in your footsteps...

Hope you have a nice day today and a safe and uneventful trip home tomorrow.

And I pulled a Cammiem - have a few napkins and coasters stowed away.

FT

Well done, FT. If you're as easily amused as I, you'll thoroughly enjoy those napkins & coasters. Then, when you board your yacht next time, you can stock-up again! :D

Enjoyed all your posts. :)

FT--

Have really enjoyed your postings! Hope to be enjoying SD I in three weeks but with the Christmas mania and all can't quite get it thru my head. Your reports are great reminders of the reasons to travel SD. How wonderful for your children to enjoy it with you--and you with them.

I don't know when or how far northeast you're traveling, but my advice for now--stay where you are! I'm sure you've seen the weather reports.

Take care!

Thanks very much fredpebbles and everyone else who has posted.

We can't really wrap our fingers around traveling home today to Christmas and bad weather. Just checked in on line and saw the weather warning for Charlotte. hope we make it home before 3 am.

When we sat down to breakfast here at the hotel yesterday morning, DS gets this glum look on his face. Turns out he had been having banana pancakes every single day for breakfast on the yacht and of course they weren't on the menu here. DD had to skip the chocolate croissants and ZQVol had to start the day without lamb chops. And both DD and DS were in withdrawal from SD hot chocolate. Louie had spoiled them by no matter where they were sitting bringing them a full pot - enough for a couple of cups each, every morning. Thank you Louie

Went into sticker shock last night when we had to sign the check for dinner for four last night at the hotel's Italian restaurant. Now I understand why the hotel is so empty. SD is still a bargain when you fully load the trip and when traveling with adult children - its fully loaded. :D

we're heading to the rain forest for a few hours before leaving for the airport and if on time land in Charlotte around 9 p.m. tonight.

best wishes for safe travels to everyone who is traveling in the next few days and happy holidays.

FT

Archived