Preview, Live , Review STT - SJU 5 Day 12/13/09

zqvol

Yeah me too Jim ... I wonder if FT and zqvol will allow us non doorbell types to hang out with them:p:D:p

Thanks for checking in FT and zqvol. Are you checking work email too FT?

"non doorbell types" wow, that really sounds low rent doesn't it?:eek: They really might not associate with us types any more.:D

Are you checking work email too FT?

unfortunately, yes .. . crackberry is working here in St. Barts.

I think Jim and Artlee had already mentioned it.. . the sunglass cleaning reached a new high today. As Brian was working his way around the pool, when he got to a couple of women in the hot tub - they rejected his offer to clean their glasses. He looked a little surprised, they grinned and said Zoltan beat you to it. Just had them cleaned upstairs! Then Brian came around with the cold water mister. I don't remember that from last March or prior trips, but it was very refreshing. Oh well, have to check work e-mail while DH and DS are having massages. Tomorrow its pedicures for the boys - their spa bill may top mine this trip!

tonight we are having cocktails and dining al fresco.

FT

unfortunately, yes .. . crackberry is working here in St. Barts.

I think Jim and Artlee had already mentioned it.. . the sunglass cleaning reached a new high today. As Brian was working his way around the pool, when he got to a couple of women in the hot tub - they rejected his offer to clean their glasses. He looked a little surprised, they grinned and said Zoltan beat you to it. Just had them cleaned upstairs! Then Brian came around with the cold water mister. I don't remember that from last March or prior trips, but it was very refreshing. Oh well, have to check work e-mail while DH and DS are having massages. Tomorrow its pedicures for the boys - their spa bill may top mine this trip!

tonight we are having cocktails and dining al fresco.

FT

How is your DD enjoying the yacht?

Too funny about the sunglass cleaning. We have been spritzed before up on the Bali Beds ... Actually those guys seems to know just when we need a cool drink and/or a cool spritz:p

FT--

I'm intrigued to hear of the English contingent who have joined you this trip. I take it that includes some "royalty" and will look forward to reports of any hijinks that take place. Please don't forget to check all lifeboats before turning in each evening.

I forgot to tell you, yes, some of the entourage appear to have been replaced, but yes, the core is here.

Just figured out all the mechanics in the AS shower - OMG - a spa treatment in itself. The height (about 6 ft 4) and the size of the large shower head (bigger than a human head) coupled with the 6 standard SD shower fully adjustable jets - 3 vertical pairs at about my knee, lower back and shoulder level, puts out enough water to be a vertical jacuzzi. It only took me two days to get the full water force running through all the jets plus the shower head at the same time at the right temperature, sometimes the simplicity of Scandanavian features is hard for this visually challenged person to understand, but SD should use this shower as a marketing feature. Unbelievable. :D:D:D

FT

and DD is loving it. She's wearing the patch, so not having a problem with seasickness and swears that she's not getting off. Reading her kindle by the pool. Only concerns is needing to download books before we give up the internet connection. She had kiwi sorbet for dessert at lunch and loved it.

I forgot to tell you, yes, some of the entourage appear to have been replaced, but yes, the core is here.

Just figured out all the mechanics in the AS shower - OMG - a spa treatment in itself. The height (about 6 ft 4) and the size of the large shower head (bigger than a human head) coupled with the 6 standard SD shower fully adjustable jets - 3 vertical pairs at about my knee, lower back and shoulder level, puts out enough water to be a vertical jacuzzi. It only took me two days to get the full water force running through all the jets plus the shower head at the same time at the right temperature, sometimes the simplicity of Scandanavian features is hard for this visually challenged person to understand, but SD should use this shower as a marketing feature. Unbelievable. :D:D:D

FT

and DD is loving it. She's wearing the patch, so not having a problem with seasickness and swears that she's not getting off. Reading her kindle by the pool. Only concerns is needing to download books before we give up the internet connection. She had kiwi sorbet for dessert at lunch and loved it.

That sounds like some shower! Heck I love the "regular" showers on SD with all the nozzles and sprayers ... beats the two head showerhead we have in our master bath.

Glad to hear DD is enjoying herself as well! Gotta love the patch.

Looking forward to tonight's dinner review.

I gotta believe your boys are having a great time as I haven't heard or seen a peep from them on FB in more than 24 hours ... which is a new record I think:p:D:p

evening update and here's why its called yachting . . .

tonight was the Captain's reception .. .. lots of caviar and all the fixings, yum yum and stone crab claws. But Captain T had not been very visible today and he explained by saying he had been working on the weather. Looks like we aren't going to Marigot/St. Maarten on Wednesday but are instead going to Virgin Gordon/The Baths and then on to Norman Island. A big hooray from the peanut gallery . .. especially since it is supposed to be pretty rough in Marigot plus the Oasis monstrosity and several other ships are going to be on St. Maarten. Hope springs eternal that we will make Jost this trip.

Dinner tonight started with the Spicy Thai beef appetizer. Then I had both the potato leek and the gazpacho soups (quite a contrast by the way). Entrees at the table went from red meat (prime loin something) to quail to halibut (a signature entree). The clams accompanying the halibut were amazing and should be an entree in and of themselves. My dessert was the chocolate silken cake. Others had the raspberry pudding - both it and the rice pudding last night were not overwhelming hits, but the apple tarte was devoured. Wines were a Gabbiano Chianti and an Italian white that my son said was too upscale to be a big seller in the restaurant where he works (think very upscale Chinese chain and you know it).

All the officers were introduced tonight at the reception. Always nice to hear the background - quite an ecletic group. Chief Officer is leaving tomorrow to head home for the holidays and snow. We got a chance to chat for a few minutes with SeaDream's President, Mr. LePisto - what a very nice guy. I commented that the internet seems faster now than it has been on previous trips. He mentioned that it would be getting faster in March - but that it would not be Wifi - and I am thankful. I don't want the pressure from the office to have to work on the pool deck or at the TOY BAR.

Amy is leading a walk tomorrow morning at 7:30 to the Fish Market and then to Shell Beach . . . maybe I'll make it off the ship. If not, we've rented a car . . . so perhaps . . .

Have a great night. I know we are :D

FT

Looks like we aren't going to Marigot/St. Maarten on Wednesday but are instead going to Virgin Gordon/The Baths and then on to Norman Island. A big hooray from the peanut gallery . .. especially since it is supposed to be pretty rough in Marigot plus the Oasis monstrosity and several other ships are going to be on St. Maarten.

And then back to Marigot on Thursday and San Juan on Friday? Perfect!

So did you introduce yourself as the famous FT from CC?? I hope so!

I bet he already knew that he was sailing with the legendary FT and zqvol!

FT ... DJ's DH and I are doing all we can here in GSO to make sure you make Jost ... hence the reason we now have a goat in the backyard:p

And then back to Marigot on Thursday and San Juan on Friday? Perfect!

no, if the sea gods are with us, it will be the C&C splash on Jost Thursday and then unfortunately, back to San Juan on Friday.

And no, I didn't introduce myself with CC name.

and Jen & CTBJR, you've terrified poor Captain T with what could happen if if we don't make Jost, but apparently March was an exception this year.

Apparently the fall crossing is about sold out.

This voyage has 45% repeat SD sailors.

Cute little critter awaiting us in our room last night. Monogramed pjs were our gift first night. Last night's gift was the five post cards with various SD photos - the top one was the shot of the yacht with the Sea Doo cutting in front of it labeled playful. Sitting next to it was a towel elephant wearing my sunglasses. He survived the night but took a turn for the worse this morning when he jumped off the counter when the yacht rocked a bit.:eek:

DS had his first SD massage yesterday and both he and DH came back so relaxed they could barely stay awake during dinner. So no late night stroll through St. Bart's. Amy did warn if anyone didn't make it back on the 1 am tender the next one would run at 7:30 this morning. A number of people went in dressed to kill - we have a very broad range of people on this cruise - very interesting and pleasant mix.

Not near as many yachts in the harbour as in March . . . guess we'll head ashore and explore the beaches today, but first must walk my mile with James . . . got to justify the Eggs Bennie I feel are in my future this morning.

FT

Interesting observation about fewer yachts in the harbor in St. Barth's. I bet it will be crowded next week for Christmas and then New Year's.

Make sure stop to watch the airplanes take off and land (now I sound like Jim:D).

Interesting on the crossing being sold out.

Enjoy your day on shore!

CTBJR, I am sorry to have to inform you but Chad is getting off the yacht the day you board.

Mrs. Toybar, Silvio fondly remembers his dip in the pool. He brought it up, not me. And DisneyJen, June had a broad smile when he brought up last March's dinner when he was wearing jeans and a cowboy hat.

Ok, so much for the sentimental. St. Barts is of course beautiful, but several roads are under construction and detours abound. Nothing like dead ending in front of exasperated French speaking construction workers. Governor's Beach was gorgeous and almost completely empty. Probably no more than 20 people there today. Gustavia was crowded. Boys turned in the car earlier than planned due to lack of parking.

Water toys were out today and got quite a bit of use. Jet skis, kayaks, banana boat, etc. The children on board this trip are exceptionally well behaved and have been of no impact (at least not viewed here).

On to the important stuff. Cocktail of the day poolside was a Manhattan. didn't see anyone requesting. If there was a pass around I missed it. Buffet at lunch included very nice sized crab legs. Entrees were pizza marguerite and a lasagna. One member of party had the guava-orange sorbet. And the champagne was Perrier-Jouet.

SD I is supposed to arrive around 6. Apparently we are "trading" entertainers. We are scheduled to depart several hours earlier than originally planned due to the change in ports. Have learned tomorrow night is the returning guests cocktail party so I would assume if we are going to have a degustation menu, it would be Thursday night after the C&C.

tonight is Caribbean Dinner with a "disco" at the TOY. Since we have to be ready to go to the Baths at 8:30, its going be another early night.

FT

Hi FT:

Enjoying your posts very much. Wish we were there. It has rained, I kid you not, EVERY single day since we left SDII. Cabin fever here big time. Hey, how many kiddies on board? Do you know the passenger makeup country wise yet? Have fun.

J & L.

Thanks again for reporting in FT:D

Please let June know I smile too when I think about that incredible dinner with our very own Caribbean Cowboys!

What time are you leaving St. Barths .... I suspect after dinner ... alfresco!

Please tell zqvol there will be NO DANCING on the Office table during "It's Raining Men." Same thing to your DS:p Fondly remembering Disco Night in March.

Are you doing the Baths excursion with SD or are you doing it on your own?

We're off to DJ's DH's boss's house for dinner ...would much rather be on SD:eek:

Hi FT:

Enjoying your posts very much. Wish we were there. It has rained, I kid you not, EVERY single day since we left SDII. Cabin fever here big time. Hey, how many kiddies on board? Do you know the passenger makeup country wise yet? Have fun.

J & L.

I guess it depends on how you define kiddies. An English family of 3 - approximately ages 6, 11 and 12. A French family with 1 - age 5 or 6. And the owner's daughter, now 14. She was on our cruise together Jim. Again, all extremely well mannered.

Passenger make up is very assorted -- French, English, Norwegian, I think I've heard some Spanish and some German but no formal announcement of nationalities - or if there has been, I've missed it.

and Jen, since none of our crew danced on the table in march, I don't think there's anything to worry about tonight.

We are doing the ship's tour tomorrow in the Baths - don't want to get left behind when the ship repositions.

Yes, we are scheduled to leave - hopefully dinner will be about done - at 21:30 tonight.

well CTBJR, have some more news for you. As bartender Chad departs on January 24, bartender Clint will be boarding. And Zoltan will be on board until March.

Got a surprise when I walked out to the pool deck for the Caribbean Madness Cocktails. All the waiters were wearing Hawaiian/Caribbean patterned shirts. This is new since March. A separate bar was set up and trays of drinks were being circulated. The beverages included Heat Wave (peach schnaps, triple sec, banana liquer, malibu rum, pineapple juice); Pain Killers, Nutmeg Bushwhackers and a Long Island Tea (only the Heat Wave was sampled and not by me). Pass Around this afternoon was orange sherbet with blueberries on top in a frozen orange half. Quite an afternoon.

Dinner started with crab cakes -- pure crab, no filler. Delicious. Next was palm of heart soup - with a few chunks of palm of heart, just enough sweet to dissolve immediately. Entree was beef-prime rib (with a fancy name I can't remember) and a great sauce and mine was cooked to order, still mooing. Dessert was very interesting - never seen before. Creme brulee was an unique fruit (can't remember the name, but ZQ Vol will post after he gets the menus), cross between a lemon and a lime. Very delicious, but surprised - mine came topped with strawberries and I am allergic and thought I had made those allergies known (maybe not, since cheese plate keeps appearing with nuts). Easy to pick off though, so I did. It was almost like a liquid Key Lime Pie with a torched top - first night without chocolate, but well worth it. (and those lovely little petit fours just keep disappearing).

Tomorrow we go straight from Spanish Town to Norman Island. No stop at Bitter End. Since we've never been there, this will be a treat. Amy told us there was a bit of hiking possible on Norman Island and Mr. Lepisto told us there was good snorkeling. And apparently we'll have the opportunity to have an original Bushwhacker at the Pirates Blight. Coupling that with the De Gustation menu tomorrow night and the return guests cocktail party . . . busy day ahead.

FT

well CTBJR, have some more news for you. As bartender Chad departs on January 24, bartender Clint will be boarding. And Zoltan will be on board until March.

That is very good news, FT. Thanks for the update. We'll miss Chad but be happy to see Clint again. And, of course, it's always great to be with Zoltan. I'm still not 100% sure that we'll be there but it's looking rather encouraging.

I expect that Mrs. TOYBAR will be wondering whether Silvio will be on board for the Jan. 24 sailing. Any word on that?

Tomorrow we go straight from Spanish Town to Norman Island. No stop at Bitter End. Since we've never been there, this will be a treat. Amy told us there was a bit of hiking possible on Norman Island and Mr. Lepisto told us there was good snorkeling. And apparently we'll have the opportunity to have an original Bushwhacker at the Pirates Blight. Coupling that with the De Gustation menu tomorrow night and the return guests cocktail party . . . busy day ahead. FT

Hope you enjoy Norman Island. If you can snorkel at The Caves, take some bread and throw it in the water there. You'll be amazed. If you are able to visit the "Willie T", go on board and ask them how you can win a free tee shirt. It could be a nice opportunity to broaden your horizons. Finally, if you go ashore and visit the Pirate's Bight Beach Bar, be sure that you do try a Bushwacker. Bet you can't drink just one! As I recall, we didn't. James may be willing to attest to that...

That is very good news, FT. Thanks for the update. We'll miss Chad but be happy to see Clint again. And, of course, it's always great to be with Zoltan. I'm still not 100% sure that we'll be there but it's looking rather encouraging.

I expect that Mrs. TOYBAR will be wondering whether Silvio will be on board for the Jan. 24 sailing. Any word on that?

will inquire as to Silvio.

we just made the turn into the the Sir Francis Drake Channel. The sky has some ominous clouds but I'm crossing my fingers that we'll make the Baths . . .. oooh you skeptics who at 1:30 in the piano bar thought I wouldn't be awake this morning. By the way, George is a fantastic entertainer. Great voice. Was our "trade" last night from SD I, not sure what player SD II had to give in exchange, but George has amazing range and set list. Think dancing Norwegians in the piano bar and you know a good time was had by all. :D

Hope you enjoy Norman Island. If you can snorkel at The Caves, take some bread and throw it in the water there. You'll be amazed. If you are able to visit the "Willie T", go on board and ask them how you can win a free tee shirt. It could be a nice opportunity to broaden your horizons. Finally, if you go ashore and visit the Pirate's Bight Beach Bar, be sure that you do try a Bushwacker. Bet you can't drink just one! As I recall, we didn't. James may be willing to attest to that...

Snorkeling in the The Caves is a must!

Love the Willie T. Agree with ctbjr that you should try to win a t-shirt:D

Snorkeling in the The Caves is a must!

Its turned out to be a gorgeous day. We are back from the Baths. Beautiful experience. Slightly - no more than slightly, pretty crowded this morning. Two separate tour groups were coming out back from Devil's Beach while we were trying to get there, so we had to wait for a few minutes. Our CAD, Amy mentioned that it was much popular today than it was 3 weeks ago. I guess its the season. If you get claustrophic, it can be a bit confining -- but well worth the trip. Short trip down the hill, seems a lot longer coming back up. Toad Hill is up for sale. Snorkeling was beautiful, but there's not as good/many fish at Devil's Beach, so stay at the Baths proper if you want to see Barracuda, etc. Devil's is much gentler for swimming and allows more spreading out. If you don't want to go through the caves, there's an easier walk from the car park.

A few signs of Christmas -- an inflated Santa on a yacht in the marina and some 30 foot decorated trees at a couple of public buildings.

FT

Love the Willie T. Agree with ctbjr that you should try to win a t-shirt:D

After hearing from Captain T at lunch today how you won your 5 T shirts from there, I think I'll pass.

And for Ms. Toybar, yes Silvio will be on the Jan. 24 cruise.

But I have some more bad news for CTBJR and Mr. Toybar - I'm not a beer drinker, so it doesn't bother me, but apparently there's been a decision to replace Red Stripe and Caribe with other beers. For more details, contact your Captain.

We've arrived at Norman island - just take a left at two small islands past Tortola. It was impressive to watch the Captain manoever the yacht past another yacht (not too smaller that SD) and "park" it. He had numerous observers on the bridge and we are now sitting pretty. Water toys are coming out again this afternoon but the dreaded disembarkation information showed up in our cabin. Wonder if we ignore it will they let us stay?

I have to mention the desserts at lunch today - my table alone probably created a shortage - from pina colada ice cream to napoleon to the strawberry mousse. The Captain in stopping by our table even commented that he has been known to have more than one of the strawberry mousse.

Off to explore.

After hearing from Captain T at lunch today how you won your 5 T shirts from there, I think I'll pass.

DJ has 5 Willie T tee shirts??? I, for one, am impressed!!! In fact, I'm almost as impressed by that as I am that the Capt. knows how one wins those tee shirts. Hmmmmm......

But I have some more bad news for CTBJR and Mr. Toybar - I'm not a beer drinker, so it doesn't bother me, but apparently there's been a decision to replace Red Stripe and Caribe with other beers. For more details, contact your Captain.

No problem. That will be a good opportunity to stop drinking, perhaps.

We've arrived at Norman island - just take a left at two small islands past Tortola. It was impressive to watch the Captain manoever the yacht past another yacht (not too smaller that SD) and "park" it. He had numerous observers on the bridge and we are now sitting pretty. Water toys are coming out again this afternoon but the dreaded disembarkation information showed up in our cabin. Wonder if we ignore it will they let us stay?

Off to explore.

DJ has 5 Willie T tee shirts??? I, for one, am impressed!!! In fact, I'm almost as impressed by that as I am that the Capt. knows how one wins those tee shirts. Hmmmmm......

Now you know why it is called bareboating when chartering from the Mooring;):cool:

You have to at least go over to the Willie T and order a shot FT:D

Norman is a great little island. Lots to see ...

Archived