Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!

TLCOhio

We love Southern Europe...the Med countries.  We travel there frequently.  Actually most years.  Land and land/cruise combo trips.

We would not even consider a Med trip, an Italy trip etc. during summer months.  Too hot.  Too crowded.   April/May or Sept/Oct for us.  Indeed, some of the best weather/tourist combo we have had in Italy was in mid November.  

If we are able to get to Greece this Sept. our plan is also to avoid the mainland and to avoid the popular cruise ship stop islands.  Lots of other islands on our list.

Greece's covid numbers are good.  But they can change in an instant just as they are changing in parts of the US.  Our current plan is to hold off booking air until 7-10 prior to our target departure date.  We are very flexible on what days we travel.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So my advice to anyone (including myself) traveling to Greece this summer is to have a "Plan B" if and when the temps reach dangerous levels.  Personally we now choose to avoid the mainland (other then to get on a cruise ship or ferry) during the summer months.  I honestly thought we would never return to Greece in July-August, but COVID issues convinced us that the benefits of heading back to Greece exceeded the downside of dealing with the likely heat.  We shall see how that works out :).

Hank

I've been stewing about this too, as it gets closer I remember a really hot trip to Rome and we have had insanely hot weather in the Pacific NW. I'm doing this trip in August because it works with my college kid's schedule, we both love ancient and medieval history, and Greece was open. But I'm now trying to think of a plan B or even a revised plan A. My son prefers not to move hotels a lot, so we have 5 nights in Athens followed by the cruise. I was originally trying to keep it unstructured and thought one day I might arrange for a driver to take us to Delphi and otherwise we would walk to sites and museums in Athens. Would it be good to plan several day trips out of the city? are any of the day trips from Athens at elevation or otherwise cooler than the city? On the cruise, all I can think of is trying to plan shorter excursions for the morning so we can be cooling on the ship or at a cafe in the hottest parts of the day. I have a tendency to want to plan every minute we are in port and I'm trying to control that impulse.

3 minutes ago, irvington said:

I've been stewing about this too, as it gets closer I remember a really hot trip to Rome and we have had insanely hot weather in the Pacific NW. I'm doing this trip in August because it works with my college kid's schedule, we both love ancient and medieval history, and Greece was open. But I'm now trying to think of a plan B or even a revised plan A. My son prefers not to move hotels a lot, so we have 5 nights in Athens followed by the cruise. I was originally trying to keep it unstructured and thought one day I might arrange for a driver to take us to Delphi and otherwise we would walk to sites and museums in Athens. Would it be good to plan several day trips out of the city? are any of the day trips from Athens at elevation or otherwise cooler than the city? On the cruise, all I can think of is trying to plan shorter excursions for the morning so we can be cooling on the ship or at a cafe in the hottest parts of the day. I have a tendency to want to plan every minute we are in port and I'm trying to control that impulse.

When they have a heat wave in the Athens area there is nowhere to go where you get much relief.  I suppose one could grab a taxi (or the Green Line train) out to Pireaus and take a day ferry trip to one of the nearby islands such as Aegina.   While it would still be hot at least you get a sea breeze on Aegina.  Lets just hope we all get lucky and the temps are reasonable so we do not have to think of Plan B's.  DW and I decided we wanted to spend a week (post cruise) on a couple of islands and debated exactly where to go.  We finally decided on Naxos and Paros because both of those islands not only have some items of interest but they also have their share of beaches :).  If it is too darn hot I think we will likely spend a lot of time soaking in the Aegean.  And our rental cars do have A/C :).

Hank

• Like 1

@TLCOhioThanks for the beautiful photos and great tips. We are only arriving 2 days early, as that was the most I could get with NCL airfare deal. I may add 2 at back also. if given one choice, would you choose a day in Athens or a drive around the peninsula. We will be there September 10th.

Is it a good idea to buy the combined Acropolis and Acropolis Museum ticket and to buy them ahead of time rather than upon arrival?  We have 2 nights and 1 full day and 2 partial days in Athens before a cruise.  Thanks in advance - Maureen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maureenk said:

Is it a good idea to buy the combined Acropolis and Acropolis Museum ticket and to buy them ahead of time rather than upon arrival?  We have 2 nights and 1 full day and 2 partial days in Athens before a cruise.  Thanks in advance - Maureen

Yes!

Avoids the lines to get tickets.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, tinkr2 said:

@TLCOhioThanks for the beautiful photos and great tips. We are only arriving 2 days early, as that was the most I could get with NCL airfare deal. I may add 2 at back also. if given one choice, would you choose a day in Athens or a drive around the peninsula. We will be there September 10th.

WOW!!  That's a tough and challenging choice when you asked about the best option with "a day in Athens or a drive around the peninsula?".  That's like asking me which of our two grandsons we love more.  

Both of these options are very good and important.  BUT, they are very different choices.  If this is your first visit to Greece, then maybe Athens would be a higher priority.  Will this be your first visit there?  Ideally, you will have more time to do both.  Plus, maybe more??!!  Many great options in and around Athens.  If you can add a couple days at the end of your cruise that would be excellent.  Good luck in September with your visit to Athens and Greece.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,695 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

On 7/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, Hlitner said:

Terry, Good info and links :).  We love to read about places we are visiting and always learn new things from your posts and wonderful pictures.  Hank

Appreciate all of these various great comments and follow-ups such as above from Hank.  Excellent, interesting sharing.  Keep it coming!!

From the Wall Street Journal yesterday, they had this headline: “Americans Can Travel to Greece Now. Here’s How to Smooth the Way.” with these highlights: “After 15 months of successive lockdowns in France, where I live, I viewed a few weeks lolling around the beaches of Greece as a sure cure to my thwarted wanderlust.  I wanted to be sure I wasn’t rushing into the decision. Was it safe and responsible to visit Greece at a time when the pandemic is subsiding in Europe and the U.S.—as more people get vaccinated—but is decidedly still not yet over?  As of June 1, 34% of the Greek population of 10.5 million had received one dose of the vaccination. (As of early July, about 38% of the population had been fully vaccinated compared with about 48% of the U.S. population.) Besides the elderly, the government’s vaccination program prioritized residents of the country’s islands to help jump-start the country’s stalled tourism industry. Foreign tourists must either be vaccinated or show proof of a negative Covid test within 72 hours—and, in any case, are subject to random testing at airports and ferry terminals.  Before the pandemic, tourist numbers to Greece had been steadily rising. In 2019, the country counted a record 34 million arrivals.”

Here is more from this reporting: "Most first-timers to Santorini flock to Thira, the sugar-cube town built on the slopes of the sunken volcano crater that give the island its drama. Pretty as the town is, it was typically mobbed with cruise-ship traffic before the pandemic. But when I arrived, after a two-hour catamaran car ferry from Paros, it was sublimely quiet.  Many airlines have recently added flights from the U.S. to Greece this summer. Among them United Airlines offers daily summer service to Athens from Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey and also flies from Washington Dulles International Airport. Other carriers with direct or connecting flights to Athens from the U.S. include American, Delta, Air France, Swiss, Lufthansa, Emirates, and Turkish Airlines.  Since travel in Greece is still subject to disruptions, avoid airports with single or infrequent connecting flights to any Greek destination. For example, instead of connecting for a flight to Mykonos in London choose Athens instead. This way if your flight is canceled you might be able to get on a later one the same day." 

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-can-travel-to-greece-now-heres-how-to-smooth-the-way-11625848440

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,838 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

1 hour ago, irvington said:

Does anyone have thoughts about the 30 Euro ticket to buy online for several sites?

You can find various combination tickets all over Europe.  Whether they are a good deal (or not) is dependent on your own plans.   You can simply do the math and see if it works for you.  Some do find combination tickets are nice because it avoids having to wait in a queue for tickets at multiple places.  On the other hand we have spent many decades traveling throughout Europe and do not have many bad memories of long lines for tickets except at the Vatican Museums and the Ufizzi (Florence).

When it comes to Athens and the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum we do think that visiting both is a terrific way to spend a few hours.  Both places (located within walking distance of each other) complement each other .  Folks can certainly debate which to do first, but I enjoyed going up to the Acropolis (first) and then heading directly to the fantastic (and relatively new) Acropolis museum.  But we know one other couple who preferred doing the museum first.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

You can find various combination tickets all over Europe.  Whether they are a good deal (or not) is dependent on your own plans.   You can simply do the math and see if it works for you.  Some do find combination tickets are nice because it avoids having to wait in a queue for tickets at multiple places.  On the other hand we have spent many decades traveling throughout Europe and do not have many bad memories of long lines for tickets except at the Vatican Museums and the Ufizzi (Florence).

When it comes to Athens and the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum we do think that visiting both is a terrific way to spend a few hours.  Both places (located within walking distance of each other) complement each other .  Folks can certainly debate which to do first, but I enjoyed going up to the Acropolis (first) and then heading directly to the fantastic (and relatively new) Acropolis museum.  But we know one other couple who preferred doing the museum first.

Hank

Thanks, I should have been more specific. I usually avoid combo tickets but when I go to the Greek government site to buy Acropolis tickets there is an option to buy another ticket which seems to take one to several archaeological sites in Athens. Seems easier than buying a ticket each place but if I have to stand in line to redeem my online voucher i wonder how much time I’m saving. I will try to link to it. 

8 minutes ago, irvington said:

Thanks, I should have been more specific. I usually avoid combo tickets but when I go to the Greek government site to buy Acropolis tickets there is an option to buy another ticket which seems to take one to several archaeological sites in Athens. Seems easier than buying a ticket each place but if I have to stand in line to redeem my online voucher i wonder how much time I’m saving. I will try to link to it. 

I should have also mentioned that often the combination tickets will save you some money vs buying individual tickets for each site.  If you are going to Athens during the summer it sometimes becomes a battle of your own will versus the heat...if it is a very hot day.  We have been in Athens when the temps were over 110F and our local guide (an elderly lady who was excellent) actually collapsed (from the heat) while we were on the Acropolis.  A few minutes with some cool water and she was quite fine but we did get her off the hill and to an Air Conditioned building.  I just looked and saw that Athens will have highs around 97-98 this week!  For what its worth, the new Acropolis Museum is Air Conditioned :).

Hank

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, Hlitner said:

I should have also mentioned that often the combination tickets will save you some money vs buying individual tickets for each site.  If you are going to Athens during the summer it sometimes becomes a battle of your own will versus the heat...if it is a very hot day.  Hank

Appreciate these added, helpful background items, comments and follow-ups from Hank, etc.  Great sharing!!    

From a northeastern Ohio newspaper this morning, they had this headline: “Ancient Greece: Parthenon an icon of antiquity built for Greek gods” with these highlights: Greece, I quickly learned, has lots of marble not only in its bathrooms and public places but also on walkways and inclines. Years of foot traffic make it slippery, even when dry, so it’s important to watch where one steps. Taking photos and notes is not consistent with watching one’s feet.  It is a steep climb up to the entrance of the Acropolis, which dates to 438 B.C. and embraces the Parthenon and other temples to the Greek gods. But the wonderment at passing through its magnificent Propylea passageway to see this most revered of ancient monuments framed beyond the entry overcomes any aches resulting from the effort to reach it.

Here are a few more interesting details as this writer visited this famous and beloved site: "After entering the seven-acre Acropolis hilltop, the Parthenon is on the right and the much smaller Erechtheion on the left. What’s called the Porch of the Caryatids distinguishes the Erechtheion with six tall maidens serving as columns to support the roof. The so-called lady columns are replicas today. One of the originals was carried off by Lord Elgin and is in London, another is in the Acropolis Museum and the four others are lost.  The Erechtheion was constructed in 410 B.C. to mark the spot where Athena and Poseidon battled to be the patrons of the city that was to become Athens. Poseidon, brother of Zeus, launched his trident at the earth, which opened to reveal a fresh-water spring, while Athena, daughter of Zeus, stabbed a rock with her spear and an olive tree appeared. A diagonal crack near the Erechtheion’s north entrance is said to be where Poseidon’s trident split the earth."

Super loved our visit to the Parthenon in June 2006.  It was a wonderfully sunny day to explore there and walk in the midst of REAL HISTORY and amazing beauty!!

Full story at:

https://www.news-herald.com/2021/09/07/ancient-greece-parthenon-an-icon-of-antiquity-built-for-greek-gods/

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

On 9/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these added, helpful background items, comments and follow-ups from Hank, etc.  Great sharing!!    

From a northeastern Ohio newspaper this morning, they had this headline: “Ancient Greece: Parthenon an icon of antiquity built for Greek gods” with these highlights: Greece, I quickly learned, has lots of marble not only in its bathrooms and public places but also on walkways and inclines. Years of foot traffic make it slippery, even when dry, so it’s important to watch where one steps. Taking photos and notes is not consistent with watching one’s feet.  It is a steep climb up to the entrance of the Acropolis, which dates to 438 B.C. and embraces the Parthenon and other temples to the Greek gods. But the wonderment at passing through its magnificent Propylea passageway to see this most revered of ancient monuments framed beyond the entry overcomes any aches resulting from the effort to reach it.

Here are a few more interesting details as this writer visited this famous and beloved site: "After entering the seven-acre Acropolis hilltop, the Parthenon is on the right and the much smaller Erechtheion on the left. What’s called the Porch of the Caryatids distinguishes the Erechtheion with six tall maidens serving as columns to support the roof. The so-called lady columns are replicas today. One of the originals was carried off by Lord Elgin and is in London, another is in the Acropolis Museum and the four others are lost.  The Erechtheion was constructed in 410 B.C. to mark the spot where Athena and Poseidon battled to be the patrons of the city that was to become Athens. Poseidon, brother of Zeus, launched his trident at the earth, which opened to reveal a fresh-water spring, while Athena, daughter of Zeus, stabbed a rock with her spear and an olive tree appeared. A diagonal crack near the Erechtheion’s north entrance is said to be where Poseidon’s trident split the earth."

Super loved our visit to the Parthenon in June 2006.  It was a wonderfully sunny day to explore there and walk in the midst of REAL HISTORY and amazing beauty!!

Full story at:

https://www.news-herald.com/2021/09/07/ancient-greece-parthenon-an-icon-of-antiquity-built-for-greek-gods/

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Thanks, Terry, for this News-Herald article by Janet Podolak. 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, irvington said:

We were lucky enough to be in Athens this September 26th when there was free admission to many of the archeological sites, including the Acropolis. The link above mentions it just after the Standard Ticket for the Acropolis section and it's worth a look. We've previously visited the Acropolis so on this day we enjoyed a nice visit through the Ancient Agora. This was a nice surprise as the combo ticket runs around 30 euros. Late in the day there was no line and it wasn't too crowded, even with free admission. I imagine the Acropolis might have been a different story though. We promptly spent the euros we saved from this on a nice dinner in the Plaka.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, iancal said:

If it is hot, the museum is an ideal rest stop.  As I recall it is airconditioned.   And the cafe is quite nice for lunch.

Appreciate these great above great comments, tips and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!!  During these challenged winter times, learning more about Athens and Greece is always fun and exciting.   

From the London/UK Sunday Times Travel Section this morning, they had this headline: “Bettany Hughes: ‘When in Greece, adopt the nomad spirit’ "  with this sub-headline and credit to this experienced writer: "The country of myths and legends has an enduring appeal and the warmest traditional hospitality, says the author and historian.”

Here are some of these story highlights:I first visited Greece when I was 19, and have been back every year since — I’m nearly 55. That tells you everything about my affection for the place. It almost feels like a spiritual home.  On my most recent visit on my final night, I had all the windows open and all I could hear was the sound of a wild sea storm brewing, along with nightjars, owls and nightingales — it felt as though the modern world had melted away.  And that’s very much the appeal of Greece. You can step back in time to an era reminiscent of the world before mass tourism. Or, as I like to do, you can travel back thousands of years to times of myths and legends — those irresistible stories that are the basis of drama, philosophy and fairytales.

Here are some more of her keen insights: "In such places — in fact, throughout Greece — you’d be very unlucky not to experience xenia, the Greek concept of hospitality. People will fall over themselves to greet you and help you, or to put you up and feed you. I’ve encountered it during each visit, whether that be on holiday with my girls, or working or filming — it’s hardwired into the Greek DNA. This is a country that somehow manages to be simultaneously dynamic and deeply calming. It really is special."

This author'’s latest book is Venus & Aphrodite — History of a Goddess. Her Treasures of the World.  

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bettany-hughes-when-in-greece-adopt-the-nomad-spirit-x3bvc7867

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 254,261 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1

We have done a number of trips to Greece.  Mainland and Islands.  Sometimes they have included Turkey.  And a number of eastern Med cruises.

The most enjoyable trips have been those where we had no definite schedule, just an outline of where we planned to be for the first week or so and an idea of where we hoped to go for the balance.  On our last trip we expected to spend 10-14 days in the Ionian Islands.  We spent 22 days.   Ended our trip with two weeks in Cyprus which we decided on and arranged because it was so easy to do and because we had never been there before.

Apart from all the wonderful things about Greece....the people,  the food, the sea,the history, the scenery one other thing keeps bringing us back. It is so incredibly easy to move about-ferry, domestic air, or car rental.  Easy, affordable and the locals are so incredibly accommodating.

Thanks @TLCOhio.  I have followed Bettany Hughes for many years, since I first came across her book on Helen of Troy. I enjoyed her book on Istanbul and have her new one cued up on my Kindle. She also has been the main presenter in a number of documentaries -- one particularly good series was the one in which she followed the journey of ancient hero Odysseus around Greece on his way home from the Trojan war. She clearly loves Greece (in the same way I love Italy), sometimes it almost makes her a little giddy, but it is endearing.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks @TLCOhio.  I have followed Bettany Hughes for many years, since I first came across her book on Helen of Troy. I enjoyed her book on Istanbul and have her new one cued up on my Kindle. She also has been the main presenter in a number of documentaries -- one particularly good series was the one in which she followed the journey of ancient hero Odysseus around Greece on his way home from the Trojan war. She clearly loves Greece (in the same way I love Italy), sometimes it almost makes her a little giddy, but it is endearing.

Great to have these helpful follow-ups from cruisemom42, iancal and ski ww.  Personally, I had not previously heard of Bettany Hughes.  Wonderful to know of her excellent background and significant achievements.  

Yes, lots to love, see and do in Greece and Italy.  From our 2006 visiting the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, that "evolution" of art/design from Greece to Italian use was a fascinating learning/visual experience.   Over the centuries, that Greek/Italian mixing and borrowing has been very special and unique.  

Keep up the great sharing as we all look forward to a better returning to some form of "normal" in the future.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,246 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section this weekend, they will have this headline: In Athens Creativity in Art, Food and More Rises" with this sub-headline: "The Greek capital has added impressive arts venues, daring restaurants and a blossoming hotel scene to its well-known Classical draws.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “m

Sound exciting and interesting?  Many specific dining and lodging options are detailed.  

Here is more from their profile of the updating Athens: "Covid vaccination certificates are no longer required to enter the country or to visit shops, restaurants and museums, and since June 1, face masks are no longer required in closed public spaces with the exception of hospitals, pharmacies, public transport and ferries.  The Greek capital’s newest cultural gem (or rather an impressively burnished old one), the National Gallery reopened last year after an eight-year, 60-million-euro overhaul. Twice the size of the original, the sleek new building has a glass facade that allows natural light to illuminate exhibits and offers visitors a glimpse of the city at every corner. You could spend hours exploring the three floors charting the evolution of Greek art over nearly seven centuries.  Another treasure trove for art lovers is the Νational Museum of Contemporary Art, a former brewery which opened in late February 2020 after an extended renovation, but closed almost immediately with the country’s first lockdown."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/travel/athens-greece.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 237,805 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From the  London/UK Guardian by John Malathronas earlier this Spring, they had this headline: Hidden Greece: where to stay and what to do away from the beaten track.  This included some specific ideas, locations and suggestion for option to visit in and around Athens. 

Here are some of the story highlights:Gorgeous Greece has always been a classic, go-to summer holiday destination, and the pandemic served as a stark reminder that tourism is the main motor driving the economy. As a result, many new initiatives were rushed through: from improving infrastructure and promoting sustainability to developing lesser-known destinations.  Early projections suggest that these measures have succeeded and, if all goes well, 2022 could be a bumper season, with tourism reaching 80-90% of pre-Covid levels. So maybe this is the year to discover an out-of-the-way beach or an underrated resort, to recharge those sun-depleted batteries far from the madding holiday-deprived crowds, or to embark on a scenic mountain trek.  For trips to the islands, ferry timetables change from week to week, so it’s best to book tickets one to two days in advance using an agent such as First Choice Travel, which has the latest dates and times.

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/apr/02/hidden-greece-where-to-stay-and-what-to-do-away-from-the-beaten-track

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 96,840 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Thanks 2