Rio to Ft. Lauderdale on Voyager

freddie

Old Grump, I grew up in Smackover. (sneaking in that one last OT post)

OMG, I am going crazy with all these Arkansas people. I grew up in Bentonville and my husband is from Batesville. Did my Ob/gyn residency in LR. And people think Arkansas people are all back woods and never amount to anything. HA!

wripro- your post went over my head. You will have to clarify!:confused:

OK, back on topic, some gripes from the grump. Two nights we have made our way to the La Veranda for dinner and found it closed for a private function. The powers that do this should at least post notice in the daily passage so we could plan our day better.

I suppose I should quit booking on the Voyager, engine trouble now and also the last time we were on her!

Oh well, at least Prime 7 for dinner tonight.;)

Not posting much, too busy, but will respond to a few things since we have our extra seaday today instead of Antigua.

The Cordon Bleu class was every bit as good as with David Bisland. Daniel (will give last name later when I look it up) is funny, personable and a fine chef. The recipes are actually a bit more accessible than David's were, and David and I intend to make most of them.

We had dinner with the PTV-at-sea-ers last night, and it was a nice evening. But Dann (one of the organizers, last name is gone again!), spilled the beans on what this is all about. They are advertising their wares to "those with means", hoping that we will open our pockets with major donations (or presumably bequests) to public television and radio. Now I understand.

Overall, I'm with you Travelcat, I leave that stuff at home. Gwen was interesting this morning, but I don't think I'll go again--she's also flogging her new book.

The Indian lunch was grand, quite grand. So much so that I skipped dinner and went to bed at about 6 that night! For that (just the first part!), I thank Pat and Fred, and for the fabulous cocktail party they had in their suite several days ago.

Tonight is our CDB grad dinner in Signatures--we have another ressie for Sig as well coming up, so far this has been our overall best meal, although the Dover Sole I had in Prime 7 was sublime. La Verandah food has also been outstanding.

Hope the engine problems do not affect downstream cruises--Regent does not need this trouble. So cross your fingers.

Old Grump,

Ever heard of "Gentlemen Prefer Blonds," the book, play and movie (starring Marilyn Monroe) about a gold digging blond on a transatlantic liner? Well, she and her best friend are from Arkansas. Indeed , the first song is called "We're Just Two Little Girls From Little Rock." I admit, perhaps the post was a bit obscure.

Wripro - You must be patient with those of us who are less quick at recognizing your clever references (although, for a change, I got the Lorelei one - hmm, may be a gay thing...).

Today, despite our disapointment at missing Antigua, we are quite happy in another sea day, enjoying this lovely ship and the endless supply of pleasant chardonnay for afternoon sipping. Tomorrow, a very long day, happily, in San Juan, to allow loads of time for rum-sipping. Life ain't bad...

We visited Prime 7 for the 2nd. time. The Dover sole was great, but,again, we could not enjoy our meal due to the 68 degree temperature. Several ladies had their spouses fetch wraps and I turned up my jacket collar and covered my ears with my turtle neck.

The entire deck 5 , including the computer room, which I have named "The igloo" is VERY cold. The staff at the shop are wearing winter clothes !!!

My complaints to the reception AND to an 'engineering' officer have not relieved the situation.

Perhaps this does not affect passengers who left frigid zones.

There are a lot of sniffles , sneezes and coughs, and the shop does not sell aspirins !!!

We visited a Master suite, yesterday. It is magnificent. Perhaps we will try it for our 60th. anniversary. ( 56 coming up on Thursday, our last day on board. )

We have enjoyed this cruise and met so many charming , well travelled and personable passengers. Especially the C.C. group who seem to be everywhere. C.Cers seem to have more 'life' than the average guest.

A disapointment was the cancel of Antigua, and the short time in Fortaleza and the moving of the folkloric show to the ship from a local theater.

A minor, nuisance change was the removal of the chaise lounges from the balconies. I have slept on them on past cruises to warm climes as well as afternoon naps

We are booking the Sept. 5th cruise, Istanbul to Athens, on Mariner. This indicates that we are still pleased and satisfied with Regent.

Today we received our passports since we have arrived in Puerto Rico. The weather is fine and we are here until 11 p.m. Two days at sea and then home on Fri.

And a chocolate martini is the same as a Black Russian !!!

cheerio !

I'll answer the ordering question for Fred. In our case, we planned this lunch with the help of our butler Ved who is Indian. The fact that Fred knows a great deal about Indian food helped too. Ved was very enthusiastic about the project. This lunch was out of the ballpark, one of the best meals I have ever eated on a cruise ship. We'll never forget it. If you don't have a butler (and we usually don't) just inquire at Compass Rose. They need at least twenty-four hours notice and of course they need to have the necessary ingredients in stock. But they are happy to oblige. We dined with one couple who special order quite frequently. My guess is if lots of folks did that routinely they would be overwhelmed. Pat

P.S. We are scheduled to leave San Juan tonight at 11:00 pm as previously scheduled. So it looks like the engine challenges have been resolved.

Tallship - Pat pretty much answered your question. The key is to speak with any of the wonderful headwaiters about any special order request. We do them very infrequently, as we are generally very happy with the regular offerings. However, if there is any special preference or specific health issue (i.e. the need for gluten-free products), the galley will do its best to oblige, given reasonable notice and explanation of the requirement. We have noticed a few passengers who think that the ship should be able to read their minds and anticipate their particular needs without their having to participate whatever in the process. That is not reasonable.

As for the marvelous Indian lunch, or anything similar, the galley staff can come through with all flags flying indeed.

As for Neville's complaints about the air conditioning on the ship, one must bear in mind that he & his lovely wife live in that torrid (referring to air temperature - I cannot comment upon other torrid issues) zone of southern Florida. Therefore, he is used to a life in a sauna, whereas we creatures of the Pacific Northwest find anything warmer than 65 degrees to be unbearably hot. Consequently, I find the frigid environment of Deck 5 to be the most comfortable on the ship and love to have cocktails in the delightfully cool Horizon Lounge.

Ah, I have just discovered that my bowl of mixed nuts has no more macadamias or cashews; so I must dash out to the Observation Lounge bar for a refill. Life is tough on Voyager, no??

A minor, nuisance change was the removal of the chaise lounges from the balconies. I have slept on them on past cruises to warm climes as well as afternoon naps

We are booking the Sept. 5th cruise, Istanbul to Athens, on Mariner. This indicates that we are still pleased and satisfied with Regent.

Today we received our passports since we have arrived in Puerto Rico. The weather is fine and we are here until 11 p.m. Two days at sea and then home on Fri.

And a chocolate martini is the same as a Black Russian !!!

cheerio !

Don't know if you've done the Istanbul to Athens itinerary previously. It is definitely a favorite of ours.

The difference between a chocolate martini and a Black Russian is that it does not have any type of coffee liqueur in it (aka Kahlua). Chocolate martini's can be made with clear chocolate or dark chocolate liqueur or, my favorte, Godiva. The best one I've had on board (not this last trip) had chocolate (like Hershey's) drizzled around the rim. Give it a try -- it's quite good as a dessert.:)

Tallship - Pat pretty much answered your question. The key is to speak with any of the wonderful headwaiters about any special order request. We do them very infrequently, as we are generally very happy with the regular offerings. However, if there is any special preference or specific health issue (i.e. the need for gluten-free products), the galley will do its best to oblige, given reasonable notice and explanation of the requirement. We have noticed a few passengers who think that the ship should be able to read their minds and anticipate their particular needs without their having to participate whatever in the process. That is not reasonable.

As for the marvelous Indian lunch, or anything similar, the galley staff can come through with all flags flying indeed.

As for Neville's complaints about the air conditioning on the ship, one must bear in mind that he & his lovely wife live in that torrid (referring to air temperature - I cannot comment upon other torrid issues) zone of southern Florida. Therefore, he is used to a life in a sauna, whereas we creatures of the Pacific Northwest find anything warmer than 65 degrees to be unbearably hot. Consequently, I find the frigid environment of Deck 5 to be the most comfortable on the ship and love to have cocktails in the delightfully cool Horizon Lounge.

Ah, I have just discovered that my bowl of mixed nuts has no more macadamias or cashews; so I must dash out to the Observation Lounge bar for a refill. Life is tough on Voyager, no??

Would you and Pat happen to be on Voyager next Oct 3rd? Because it sounds like you guys are a hoot to travel with! Enjoying life on Voyager as it comes and not getting thongs all twisted about minor stuff like tough lobster, water leaks or minor generator problems.

freddie, life will only get tough on the Voyager when you have to run down to the bar on deck 4 to refill the nuts; find out that the elevators have stopped working and you have to run back up to your suite as it is 5:58 p.m. and the dress code will come into effect.

For those in the Cordon Bleu, I hope you had a great time at the grad.

We owe a very big thank you to the two crew members who assisted with our luggage. We thought they were taking it down to the dock in a freight elevator. Instead, they came and took it from our cabin and carried it down the gangway. They then wanted to wheel it to the terminal and taxis and finally agreed to load it on the shuttlebus. Other crew members on the bus offered to help us (as did some fellow passengers) when we reached the terminal. A review will be posted once life settles down.

I know you'e all getting off tomorrow - and I've been enjoying following all the messages - but I do have a question: is there much activity going on in the change over in the Spa from Carita to Canyon Ranch?

Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope everyone has quick/easy trips home.

We are the lucky ones who arrived home at 9.30 a.m. The sunshine state was very unkind.

Our sympathies for those of you who had to fight the winds and rains and floods and then discover a bunch of flight cancellations. Our thoughts were with you , and hope that you finally arrived home. Rest and 'whatever' should effect a quick cure.

To all our fellow passengers, especially the C.Cers. have a happy Xmas and a contented New Year.

I know you'e all getting off tomorrow - and I've been enjoying following all the messages - but I do have a question: is there much activity going on in the change over in the Spa from Carita to Canyon Ranch?

Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope everyone has quick/easy trips home.

The activity around the change was happening while I was visiting the spa. First time I just saw the new personnel who were already on the ship and presumably doing planning and setup behind the scenes.

Then the Carita supplies were being packed up and discounted during the last few days of the cruise. The spa closed on the 17th for the changeover, and the new sign was on the door on Friday morning the 18th.

All the Carita people were flying home yesterday, some were content, some were quite upset. Apparently Carita is negotiating for other ships (Silversea?), but the moment have only the Paul Gauguin when the Regent changeover is complete.

Our trip home was uneventful, except for getting to relax for an extra hour in the Observation Lounge while R straightened out a disagreement with the shore porter staff, which stopped disembarkation from 9 to until around 10:30.

I'm still rocking, by the way!

Thanks for the ujpdate. And I'm glad the trip home was good.

I guess we'll all have to find out who is who in the new Spa . . . . there are some of the Carita people who will be missed.

Sounds like a typical change-over though.

PG will not continue with Carita by the way. Here is the article.

http://www.cruise-community.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1674:paul-gauguin-is-getting-a-new-spa&catid=906:newsheadlines&Itemid=67

Got home yesterday after a day and half of fighting delta, FLL weather and Atlanta weather and a involuntary overnight at Atlanta

My likes and dislikes after a night of sleep to recover:

Overall, good cruise say a grade of 9 0f 10.

Room and housekeeping, 10 of 10. Room spotless, bar always stocked, snacks always there.

Food and restaurants, 8 of 10. signatures was as good as it gets when we ate there, conversely, Prime 7 had a off night when we were there. La veranda was good most of the time, but the place was closed 3 times at least for private functions with no notice for guest prior planning. Pool Grill filled the need for the occasional hamburger well.

Excursions, 6 of 10, spotty, some good,some bad. I think Regent depends on local guides without a preview by Regent staff.

Bars and lounges, 8 of 10, good when you got in, but at least 3 times, the Voyager lounge prime seats were closed for private functions, with available seats in the smoking section or next to. I was told the same thing happened in the other two lounges.

So, over all 9 of 10.

And finally, I hope Santa brings a stocking full of bad stuff for the bunch of clods who ignored the rules and left early on disembarkation, and causes the delays for us who followed the rules.

And the same gift for the couple who shopped in the Bacardi gift shop for 25 minutes, while the balance of the bus pxts waited in the bus:(

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everybody else!:)

After two days visiting my Dad in West Palm Beach and a very long day of flying yesterday we are finally back home starting to work through "the pile." For us it was a wonderful cruise. We found the service to be consistently excellent. We were more than pleased with the quality, variety and consistency of the food in P7, Signatures and CR and we cruise to eat. We did't try eating on the pool deck and we ate only one breakfast and one evening meal in LV. My meal in LV was awful, others at our table seemed to do better than I did. But we don't purchase a luxury cruise to eat buffet food or navigate a cafeteria line. So we will happily leave LV to the many who enjoy it so much knowing it takes the pressure off CR where we never cease to enjoy dining. Our "free" Regent shore excursions were fine for the price but, unlike the previous Regent shore excursions we paid extra for, they were considerably more crowded. We wish Regent would offer other discounts to encourage bookings and return to the old system of charging for shore excursions. I am a fan of on board lectures and entertainment and for me this was the best cruise ever in that regard. The Public Television folks were sensational as were the Mabel Mercer entertainers. And the ship's lecturers and performers were all excellent too. I am a sucker for Crew Capers. They have reworked the show a bit and it is, IMO, better than ever. So when we sadly reported to the OL to await our call to disembark, we were happy campers indeed. Sadly, the worst came last. There were apparently a lot of passengerjerks who decided to disembark at the first call regardless of the color code they had been assigned. And Regent had no process in place to control the outflow of passengers who were disembarking legitimately and those who weren't. The Customs area was immediately flooded with people many of whom were looking for bags that had yet to be offloaded (since bags are offloaded by color code too). This, understandably, angered the porters union and they stopped offloading baggage and ordered the ship to stop offloading passengers. We sat for more than an hour waiting for the exodus to begin again. There were some very nervous passengers who held early afternoon flight reservations. It was a bad situation for one and all and an unfortunate way to end a wonderful cruise. Nonetheless we are looking forward to the 35 days of cruising we have booked on Regent's Navigator next year and have just enough time to free up a bit of space on our ample middle sections to make the best of them. Oh, and we thoroughly enjoyed the many new friends we made beginning with the Cruise Critic meet and greet on the day we boarded the ship. A jolly good group all! Pat

Forgot Compass rose, which was the best of all on a consistent basis. The ability to dine with a different table each night was great. Guess I'm just not all the time, a live to eat person, sometimes it's fuel intake between other priorities, which La Veranda does well. This is indeed my last post unless I remember that I forgot something else, which I do quite often now:)

Glad you all got home safely. With the weather down there I was worried. Up here in the frozen north it's simply cold, no snow at all. So we got home without incident, and have mostly stopped rocking now.

I still intend to post my thoughts on the cruise, which are almost all positive, but no doubt will be different than those of others. Enjoyed everybody we met, loved Rio, and loved seeing Fred and Pat again.

Archived