Extra Security Precautions and time due to foiled attack on 12/25/09

Sunviking

Montreal is allowing NO CARRY ON at all right now.

Great. Hope it changes in the next week or so....

(This terrorist who's caused all this change in airport security paid over $ 2K for his one way ticket, had no checked luggage for a two week visa stay and was on a watch list.... how did he get on an aircraft:confused:. The authorities answer to improve security baffles, restrict carry-on and blankets availability in flight. Meanwhile scanners that may have been able detect this idiots device are sitting unused because of some morons worries that it may invade their "personal privacy"

Maybe it would make sense to make people check their undies at security since the active agent was in his gounch, not carry on.

It was noted on the news last night that some of the screening was done either in Nigeria or later by private security hired by Delta/NW. It was noted also that this type of cheap hired private security, hired by the airline is doomed to fail which it did. You get what you pay for.

It was noted on the news last night that some of the screening was done either in Nigeria or later by private security hired by Delta/NW. It was noted also that this type of cheap hired private security, hired by the airline is doomed to fail which it did. You get what you pay for.

True. Airport security apparently is "really" only as important as a minimum wage plus $2.35 security guard. :(

Ruth

The part you didn't mention - and the MOST IMPORTANT PART - is that little conversation you have with the person who is checking your passport. Yes. they are profiling and that's what we're going to have to do. All the rest of this is superfluous. In Israel (and when flying to Israel) every single passenger "talks" to a security person before they even leave the main terminal. They make eye contact and ask you some seemingly innocuous questions. The one time I was lying (I was taking some clothing - ok a lot of clothing- to a friend and was worried about having to pay duty) they caught it in my demeanor and I was taken to a separate room and my carry on and checked luggage was thoroughly searched. When I finally told them that I was worried about the duty that was the end of it.)

What is it going to take before we realize that profiling is what we're going to have to do!

I keep thinking that we should hire Israel to do our security! If the Vatican can hire the Swiss for security, why can't we hire Israel?:)

No carry-on allowed. They must be checked in. We're only allowed a "small" purse, lap top, no bathroom breaks, nothing at all within the last hour of flight. This is what I am understanding from "all" airlines here in Canada. Also, they are now wanting to put in like they have in the L.A. airport - full body scanning - anatomically correct, so who needs clothes?

This is only for flying into the states. Not to Mexico, Cuba, San Juan......

Yes, I've flown too and from the UK, but at least we were allowed "one" carry-on not just a purse.

:( Sad isn't it that the Terrorist are winning

No carry-on allowed. They must be checked in. We're only allowed a "small" purse, lap top, no bathroom breaks, nothing at all within the last hour of flight. This is what I am understanding from "all" airlines here in Canada. Also, they are now wanting to put in like they have in the L.A. airport - full body scanning - anatomically correct, so who needs clothes?

This is only for flying into the states. Not to Mexico, Cuba, San Juan......

Yes, I've flown too and from the UK, but at least we were allowed "one" carry-on not just a purse.

:( Sad isn't it that the Terrorist are winning

I am not canceling my trip, I am not afraid, oh well about the hassles but they only win if we become fearful of doing what we normally do.

The only way they win is if you cancel your trip!

Ruth

The part you didn't mention - and the MOST IMPORTANT PART - is that little conversation you have with the person who is checking your passport. Yes. they are profiling and that's what we're going to have to do. All the rest of this is superfluous. In Israel (and when flying to Israel) every single passenger "talks" to a security person before they even leave the main terminal. They make eye contact and ask you some seemingly innocuous questions. The one time I was lying (I was taking some clothing - ok a lot of clothing- to a friend and was worried about having to pay duty) they caught it in my demeanor and I was taken to a separate room and my carry on and checked luggage was thoroughly searched. When I finally told them that I was worried about the duty that was the end of it.)

What is it going to take before we realize that profiling is what we're going to have to do!

Yes El Al has it down to a science and plays no games.

ALL airlines flying into Israel have this security, not just El Al. I think I have flown most of them! It's very reassuring.

I have recently retired having been working in Emergency / Contingency Planning. We got heavily involved in some nasty incidents - but I learned some interesting things.

(1) Not all agencies talk to each other. Information exchange can be limited.

(2) There are too many 'secret squirrel' departments who will not talk to anyone. (Highly embarrasing when the cleaner just walked into their office and wasn't noticed ... lol )

(3) I found it quite amazing that many companies / organisations accepted the logic of the plans we prepared for them but then moaned at the expense and started chopping bits out to save a few pennies.

Taking a step backwards and loking at the situation from a dispassionate point of view - I would hope that airlines / security personnel etc are learning as they go on and thus the situation may (ha!) become more efficient - plus the fact that the Christmas holidays are over and they may have more staff to call on.

The pure logistics of trying to get staff at this time of year aren't worth thinking about. For a lot of people it would have been a case of "If I'm not on call my 'phone is off!"

Here's an idea I saw being floated around again by some security experts on the TV news tonight...

How about use intelligent profiling. That will free up more resources needed to search passengers most likely to be terrorists.

Random checks will still occur to all groups, but twenty something middle eastern men from Saudi Arabia would be searched more often than Swedish Grandmothers.

Or does that make too much sense?

Here's an idea I saw being floated around again by some security experts on the TV news tonight...

How about use intelligent profiling. That will free up more resources needed to search passengers most likely to be terrorists.

Random checks will still occur to all groups, but twenty something middle eastern men from Saudi Arabia would be searched more often than Swedish Grandmothers.

Or does that make too much sense?

Well it seems reasonable to me.... but don't they call that "racial profiling" and not "intelligent profiling"? Seems to me, there is not problem with "intelligence profiling" as long as the profiled is not of any visible minority.:confused:

Well it seems reasonable to me.... but don't they call that "racial profiling" and not "intelligent profiling"? Seems to me, there is not problem with "intelligence profiling" as long as the profiled is not of any visible minority.:confused:

As we've seen, no one "visible" minority seems to be alone in terror camps... like I said, eliminate Swedish Grandmothers and build your "unlikely to be a terrorist" list from there.... :p

As we've seen, no one "visible" minority seems to be alone in terror camps... like I said, eliminate Swedish Grandmothers and build your "unlikely to be a terrorist" list from there.... :p

Sorry A Sixth -- I was being sarcastic..:rolleyes:

Does anyone have any info on whether or not you are being charged to check the bags that used to be a carry on (from Canada) ?

We are a family of 5, travelling on Friday (in 2 days) and I am wigging out about this new restriction. For us, (if all goes well !!) it will be a 13 hour day just to get from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale. Not so bad if you are adults but we are travelling with 2 10 year olds and a 7 year old - with no carry on ! I can't bring a deck of cards to keep them busy, snacks to keep them quiet or games to keep them from starting the "I'm bored" and getting fidgety.

I have no idea what they are considering to be a small purse either and I can't find the info so I have no idea what (how much) entertainement I can bring without being refused at the security checkpoint.

The cost of this is fairly important in our case too - if they are charging the carry-ons as 'checked bags' it will be an additional 130$ for us (we have 3 suitcases and 5 carry ons between the 5 of us so some of these bags are '2nd checked bags' at 30$+) plus the fact that the 'supper' I had planned on bringing in my carry on (muffins, nuts, granola bars, etc) will now turn into a bought supper in Newark times 5 people. We are talking about a 200$ of wasted money so far... and that of course is if they do not loose any of our bags and we actually get to Newark and connect with out FLL flight (if not, hotels & emergency shopping to buy what the airline lost !!)

All this cause some guy brought explosvies in his undies. Not carry-on... UNDIES !!

(If I get my hands on this guy, HE will fit into a carry on by the time I'm done with him !!)

AAAARRRGGGHHH !!!:mad:

Julie,

According to CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Authority), items for care of children are allowed! http://www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?id=77&pname=measures_mesures&lang=en

If you're flying Air Canada : they are currently waiving excess baggage fees for US bound flights. http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091226_3.html

Does anyone have any info on whether or not you are being charged to check the bags that used to be a carry on (from Canada) ?

We are a family of 5, travelling on Friday (in 2 days) and I am wigging out about this new restriction. For us, (if all goes well !!) it will be a 13 hour day just to get from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale. Not so bad if you are adults but we are travelling with 2 10 year olds and a 7 year old - with no carry on ! I can't bring a deck of cards to keep them busy, snacks to keep them quiet or games to keep them from starting the "I'm bored" and getting fidgety.

I have no idea what they are considering to be a small purse either and I can't find the info so I have no idea what (how much) entertainement I can bring without being refused at the security checkpoint.

The cost of this is fairly important in our case too - if they are charging the carry-ons as 'checked bags' it will be an additional 130$ for us (we have 3 suitcases and 5 carry ons between the 5 of us so some of these bags are '2nd checked bags' at 30$+) plus the fact that the 'supper' I had planned on bringing in my carry on (muffins, nuts, granola bars, etc) will now turn into a bought supper in Newark times 5 people. We are talking about a 200$ of wasted money so far... and that of course is if they do not loose any of our bags and we actually get to Newark and connect with out FLL flight (if not, hotels & emergency shopping to buy what the airline lost !!)

All this cause some guy brought explosvies in his undies. Not carry-on... UNDIES !!

(If I get my hands on this guy, HE will fit into a carry on by the time I'm done with him !!)

AAAARRRGGGHHH !!!:mad:

We're a little over a week behind you, heading to San Juan and selfishly hope that once the business world starts flying again after the holidays, things will relax a bit.

But if it doesn't: I want to bring my "fanny pack", with prescriptions, passport etc on, will that be allowed? Will it be allowed if I call it "small man-purse" at security? :rolleyes::(

Ironically, I often fly wearing a money belt hidden around my waist under my clothes.... have decided to use the "Tilley secret pockets" instead. :D

Unfortunately it's not "child care items" that are allowed - it's "infant care items" which I take to mean a diaper bag and formula. I don't think a Nintendo DS and snacks are included although, as mentionned, they will fit to some extent into a "small purse"

Anyone know if the US carriers- Continental specifically - is charging for the bags ? AirCanada had always allowed 1 free checked bag while Continental charges from the 1st bag. (and more for the 2nd). No one at the Continental number had any idea - they didn't even know about the new restriction, insisting that you were still allowed carry on. I had to tell them about the Canadian restrcition and point them to the CATSA web site !

Unfortunately it's not "child care items" that are allowed - it's "infant care items" which I take to mean a diaper bag and formula. I don't think a Nintendo DS and snacks are included although, as mentionned, they will fit to some extent into a "small purse"

Anyone know if the US carriers- Continental specifically - is charging for the bags ? AirCanada had always allowed 1 free checked bag while Continental charges from the 1st bag. (and more for the 2nd). No one at the Continental number had any idea - they didn't even know about the new restriction, insisting that you were still allowed carry on. I had to tell them about the Canadian restrcition and point them to the CATSA web site !

I thought Air Canada allowed 2 checked bags per person? They made an announcement a couple of weeks ago that they would start charging for the second bag for flights to the US, Europe and I believe Israel starting on January 19, 2010. For all other locations, 2 bags will still be allowed.

I called Trudeau airport and American Airlines

They both said my carry-on suitcase is Ok ...small usual size one with wheels

.It may be taken away at the gate .My hubby says nothing with wheels I do not mind Nothing in it is for the flight .My purse which is quite big will be allowed to stay with me ...it too comes from a suitcase set .It will fit under the seat .I have meds camera charger documents etc I was told PURSE is not considered a carry-on

Both said OK .This time I will not bring any food ....I do not want extra hassle

.my flight is 13 HOURS to Chile...Should be interesting!!!!Add 3 hour wait at airport and 3 hours in Miami ...Guess who will be a ZOMBIE on arrival!!!!I'm also suppose to tour on arrival .I think I'm already tired!!!!

Ms Julie CALL the airport ..get info I'm sure each Kid can have a carry-on like a back pack Put food in there!!!

Good Luck

Bon Voyage

I'm interested how you would fold this guy in your carry=on

I TOTALLY agree TERRORISTS are winning by making us all scramble every time they dream up something to make flying more difficult

Julie

Call the airline and ask to speak to a supervisor. I can't imagine they would stop you from bringing games or snacks for children when it's obvious the children are with you.

Very nicely just keep saying "Could I speak to your supervisor" until you get someone with some REAL answers.

I am so sorry you have to fly this week as I think they will have it sorted out by next week.

As someone else said - the guy had the explosives in his underwear, NOT in a carry-on!

Like many I am wondering if it is worth the time to fly anymore. Last Sunday, I flew out of Lax, arriving at the airport, with only a small carry on, three hours before flight time. You guess it, I missed my flight. luckly for me the airline was able to get me a later flight. Note if you have any metal part you will have a third screeming instead of the usual two. See you in Chile on Monday.

I think a good laugh is due here. It helps get the frustrations out. I too, along with our family with two grandchildren 4 & 5 are getting ready to leave, for Florida in two weeks. So, I share your frustrations!

Enjoy the clip! :D

Archived