Do you feel the ship move? will we get sea sick?

42bird

I was wondering if you went on the trip yet? Did any of the products work that you can recommend to me I have a very weak stomach I don't get on planes and I don't like hills or elevators or roller coasters. I go on a cruise January 9th please help.

Welcome to Cruise critic. You are asking a question to someone that posted this almost 7 years ago.

The poster who originally asked the question hasn't posted on Cruise Critic since 2013.

Maybe somebody else will read this and be able to help you out.:)

I hope your sailing has smooth sailing and warm breezes.

Bill

I was wondering if you went on the trip yet? Did any of the products work that you can recommend to me I have a very weak stomach I don't get on planes and I don't like hills or elevators or roller coasters. I go on a cruise January 9th please help.

The product that works for me is Bonine. I start taking it the night before we sail, and then the day of sailing and throughout the cruise. You can also buy it in bulk by asking at the pharmacy counter. I recently purchased a bottle of 100 for about $6.

Ship movement affect people differently,so while some may be bothered by the usual minimal motion ( Feels like you walking to one side or the other) others will go with the flow. It is difficult to say if someone will be bothered by it. My husband & I are not affected. We find we sleep well on ships. As others have suggested get the patch or other products and go with the expectation of having an enjoyable cruise.

hi, my dh is very sensitive to small boats and planes. not sure if we will feel any motion on the ship. we are going on the AOS Jan 17th 2010. we did book a room in the middle of the ship. i read that may help.

thank you for your help

FWIW, if AOS = Anthem, we barely felt the ship move in 12 days, and sometimes I have problems on rough flights and roller coasters.

If very worried, the patch, and possibly other medications, can be started hours before boarding (follow the directions.)

We have heard that a cabin with an outside view (window or balcony) can help a person with orientation and experience less motion related problems.

hi, my dh is very sensitive to small boats and planes. not sure if we will feel any motion on the ship. we are going on the AOS Jan 17th 2010. we did book a room in the middle of the ship. i read that may help.

thank you for your help

You'll definitely feel some motion, but these ships are huge they don't rock and sway like a small fishing boat or a ferry unless in a severe storm, which they rarely are.

You never really know if you'll get sick, but I think there are VERY few people who are so sensitive that they can't enjoy a cruise if they're willing to take a pill or use a patch. Many times someone will be queasy the first day or so then their body adjusts and they're fine.

I say go for it! :D

Since this is an ongoing/universal question, I'd like to add my two cents worth.

Several have said you will feel the motion on a ship. I would say you might feel the motion. Or not.

If DH and I had read Cruise Critic before our first cruise, we probably would have worried about seasickness, as so many posters offer suggestions about medications, etc. But in our ignorance, we didn't do anything....and in 37 cruises, we've never had a moment of seasickness, including in hurricanes and other very rough seas.

Most cruises are smooth sailing, most of the time, and most cruisers are not adversely affected.

I used to get seasick on every cruise. I tried the arm bands, ginger, and they didn't work for me. The Bonine (sp?) on the ship worked great, but made me sleepy :(. However, maybe 3 cruises ago I tried the ear patch, and it works awesome!!! My Dr gives me a prescription for it. Note, I even drink when I use it (which I couldn't do with Bonine). Love the ear patch!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The product that works for me is Bonine. I start taking it the night before we sail, and then the day of sailing and throughout the cruise. You can also buy it in bulk by asking at the pharmacy counter. I recently purchased a bottle of 100 for about $6.

Couldn't agree more about Bonine! We have weathered many bad storms, including hurricane Wilma by taking our daily dose of Bonine.

...and while the vast majority of cruises are calm with little movement, no matter how big the ship you are on, if the weather is bad enough, you will feel motion.

Edited by bradpole

I sometimes get car sick so I was concerned I might get sea sick. I did get sea sick when I was young and took a ship across the Atlantic so I had good reason to be concerned, but so far with the four cruises I have been on I have been fine. The most recent cruise had more movement than any of my previous cruises so I took Bonine a couple of days. Some people were ill. Thank goodness I wasn't. I was a bit queasy perhaps, but nothing serious.

One thing I thought about was the excursions I went on. Since I sometimes get car sick, I took the Bonine for the van rides, too. The island roads are often windy. So consider off the ship travel, too.

I used to get seasick on every cruise. I tried the arm bands, ginger, and they didn't work for me. The Bonine (sp?) on the ship worked great, but made me sleepy :(. However, maybe 3 cruises ago I tried the ear patch, and it works awesome!!! My Dr gives me a prescription for it. Note, I even drink when I use it (which I couldn't do with Bonine). Love the ear patch!

Have you noticed if drinking on the patch makes any side effects worse? Or is it just like normal?

Thanks

There have been lots of positive responses if you would read through the thread even though the OP hasn't responded....keep in mind that this thread began YEARS ago -- yet the value is in the responses that people have provided.

• 2 weeks later...
^ Just a note that this thread is 7 years old and was bumped by a new member. OP went on her cruise and has since cruised again. :)

Oops. :cool: So dumb that message boards would even allow you to post to threads that old. Just leave the threads out there for info purposes but don't allow new posts after a few months, like many boards do.