Greedy airlines

Sargent_Schultz

Well riddle me this Batman. How may one describe this pricing practice as greed, when per IATA (http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/2009-12-15-01.htm), North American carriers will see losses merely reduced from US$2.9 billion in 2009 to US$2.0 billion in 2010?

In my day-to-day usage I define 'greed' (and it would appear that the OED concurs) as 'an excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth.'

Just exactly how does that work when as an industry you are collectively up to your nipples in $2B of red ink (and note that IATA's forecasts were baked long before the boxer-short bomber set his groin aflame).

Most pax today view an airline seat as a fungible good or commodity. Commodities are bought and sold on the basis of price versus qualitative differentiation. In an effort to present the lowest possible pricepoint, disaggregated or unbundled pricing strategies are here to stay, (you can thank the internet for that) unless the entire industry decides to go to all-in pricing.

Is it egregious? Sure. Is it ethical? Maybe. Is it consumer friendly? Uh, no. Is it greed? Definitely not.

Of course, YMMV.

Scott.

Mismanagement is how they got in their current position. They do not deserve to claw their way out by penalizing the majority of passengers with luggage fees.

They are greedy.

The airlines are going to charge more. They can raise the fares or they can add fees. They are electing to keep the airfares as low as possible.

The airlines are going to charge more. They can raise the fares or they can add fees. They are electing to keep the airfares as low as possible.

When SW publishes fares, you know what the bottom line is. When the legacy airlines publish fares, that is only the beginning. They then nickle and dime the passengers with all kinds of BS fees once it is too late.

The legacy airlines are greedy and think their passengers are idiots. They are going to go bankrupt. Raising fees is only going to get them there faster.

When SW publishes fares, you know what the bottom line is. When the legacy airlines publish fares, that is only the beginning. They then nickle and dime the passengers with all kinds of BS fees once it is too late.

The legacy airlines are greedy and think their passengers are idiots. They are going to go bankrupt. Raising fees is only going to get them there faster.

unless you want a seat.

You have the same protection of a seat on SW as you do on legacy, greedy airlines.

More than once a legacy airline has stolen a seat that was "assigned" to me. I guess they sold it to the highest bidder.

I have always reserved and gotten my seat when I booked on the legacy airlines.

Can you do that with Southwest?

I have always reserved and gotten my seat when I booked on the legacy airlines.

Can you do that with Southwest?

I haven't, as previously mentioned.

Southwest has experimented with assigned seating in the past. It didn't fly.

Don't some legacy airlines charge extra for window, aisle, and other premium seats? Just more nickle and diming. More greed.

I haven't, as previously mentioned.

Southwest has experimented with assigned seating in the past. It didn't fly.

Don't some legacy airlines charge extra for window, aisle, and other premium seats? Just more nickle and diming. More greed.

Not the flights I have been on. And if they did is that a reason for Southwest to not allow passengers to reserve seats?

Not the flights I have been on. And if they did is that a reason for Southwest to not allow passengers to reserve seats?

A good reason for not allowing reserved seats is that it slows down embarkation, on time performance, and results in higher costs.

More and more greedy airlines are jumping on the charge extra for premium seats - especially when reducing capacity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/business/08seats.html

Can pay toilets be far behind?

Greedy Airlines.
Seeing as your complaint is about extra fees charged by some airlines, perhaps you can explain this conclusion of yours about an airline that - for this fare - allows one checked bag for no extra fee; complimentary meals; complimentary beverages (including alcoholic beverages); and complimentary in-flight entertainment?

How is this airline being "greedy"? What more, in your opinion, would it need to do to absolve itself of this epithet?

Seeing as your complaint is about extra fees charged by some airlines, perhaps you can explain this conclusion of yours about an airline that - for this fare - allows one checked bag for no extra fee; complimentary meals; complimentary beverages (including alcoholic beverages); and complimentary in-flight entertainment?

How is this airline being "greedy"? What more, in your opinion, would it need to do to absolve itself of this epithet?

That is easy. It would have to be bought by Southwest. Until then it is a greedy legacy airline flown by elitists.

Ah, yes. Japan.

Can you list for us the Japanese airlines run on a Southwest-inspired low-fare model which have (a) succeeded; and (b) failed?

Did those in category (b) fail because they were greedy legacy airlines flown by elitists? Oh, wait, they were airlines run on a Southwest-inspired low-fare model.

If there were no cattle, the few elitists on board do not pay enough to get that plane off the ground. The plane can still fly with no elitists on board. Instead they will populate first class with wannabe elitists and interline fliers.

I have stayed out of this thread because, well feeding trolls is not something I do, but I am sure your having a good time doing it.

Just to point out another fat you have wrong.

The ratio of earning for a flight goes.

First, Business, Cargo and then Coach.

If you take a look at the cost of a first class ticket you will see that those 12-16 seats up front bring in move revenue than the 130 seats behind them.

And yes I am a Southwest fan, they are very good at what they do and on short hops I am happy to fly with them.

But then again, I am also one of those damn elitists who on a 12 hour flight doesn't want to be cramped in a seat with a 31 inch seat pitch, so I fly in J.

Also you should remember, Southwest (WN) has a money losing airline operation, but a rather successful fuel hedging operation.

Anyways, there is no way this thread is going anywhere, if you don't like what the airlines are charging, don't fly them, it's a great drive from LA to Miami.

Archived