Help - Sailing tomorrow - my "roommate" can't make trip!!

KBPrimary

My friend and roommate for this trip was told by her boss she has to cancel the vacation. Her company will pay for her fare, so money is not the issue.

My friend made the booking, but it has of course both our names, and we both filled out the sign and sail and other information. I am planning on going by myself, but am worried that if she is a "no show" Carnival will cancel the booking!

Help, what should I do? Does it make a difference that the booking is shown as in her name/lead passenger? People must miss cruises with some frequency, due to illness or whatever, right? SHOULD I BE WORRIED???

My friend and roommate for this trip was told by her boss she has to cancel the vacation. Her company will pay for her fare, so money is not the issue.

My friend made the booking, but it has of course both our names, and we both filled out the sign and sail and other information. I am planning on going by myself, but am worried that if she is a "no show" Carnival will cancel the booking!

Help, what should I do? Does it make a difference that the booking is shown as in her name/lead passenger? People must miss cruises with some frequency, due to illness or whatever, right? SHOULD I BE WORRIED???

I would call Carnival now and discuss.

I would have your friend be a no show, or you will be charged the solo rate to cruise and if rates are higher, its going to cost more than your friend is losing.

whatever she does, its too late for her to cancel if you are sailing tomorrow, tell her do NOT cancel. She wouldnt get any money back at this point and you will be charged more.

Don't worry, and IMHO don't ask for problems by calling Carnival...they could say NO, or worse charge you the single supplement ~~!!~~ As long as you have your "Fun Pass" filled out, and your booking number, just show up. Cabin mates show up at different times to check in all the time.... Just tell the Carnival Rep, "she is booked on another flight"

This happened to me on my first cruise. My roommate had to cancel at the last second for some job interviews that they really needed to take care of so I showed up at the port without them. No problems, simply told them at check-in that they couldn't make it and they basically asked no other questions after that, no penalties, no fare increase...They had already paid in full and just didn't show up so Carnival didn't care at that point...:)

Hey, one of the first times I've been able to say, "Been there, done that" on here! :D Maybe I'll get to do that more often after my 2nd cruise :p

ok guys...whats the option IF....2ppl put deposits down for a cabin...and the 2nd person back out....but the balance has not been paid yet...just the 200.00 pp deposit.....

What's the first person options if they still want to go? or what should

they do?

ok guys...whats the option IF....2ppl put deposits down for a cabin...and the 2nd person back out....but the balance has not been paid yet...just the 200.00 pp deposit.....

What's the first person options if they still want to go? or what should

they do?

Are you booked Early Saver, if not Id ask to be downgraded to a 1A. If you are then no downgrades are allowed, and you will have to pay the rest of the fare.

If its ES, the other person cancels, they get charged $50 and Carnival holds the rest of the $150 toward another cruise.

Im assuming the first person is cancelling and wanting their deposit or what they can get back?

If its ES, you are basically trapped as you lose your deposit too, or have to rebook with a $50 penalty ... too many ifs to say for sure. Too little info to base a real answer on.

I had the same thing happen in August. My son had to cancel because of school, leaving the room to her by herself. Early saver, so I couldn't do squat. They actually told me it was no problem if my son was a no-show, so we did it that way. The bright side, the tips were cheaper for that room.

I would have your friend be a no show, or you will be charged the solo rate to cruise and if rates are higher, its going to cost more than your friend is losing.

whatever she does, its too late for her to cancel if you are sailing tomorrow, tell her do NOT cancel. She wouldnt get any money back at this point and you will be charged more.

Yep on the no show.....

At this point though I have never understood the cancel and the canceling pax does not get their money back and there might be a penelty to the other person cruising in the same cabin. The (any) cruise line already has the berth booked and has the money for it and is not going to refund the money to the pax that cancled.....The only thing they lose is the money that might be spent by the person that cancels ....

My question would be:

Did she/they have the insurance and would that take care of anything? I recently booked a cruise and I took out the insurance since my mother is elderly and I never know when something might happen to her. My cabin mate did not take the insurance (so far). If my cabin mate does not take the insurance and something happens and I can't go, should she just go and act like I'm a no show? But, I would be contacting Carnival about my situation of not being able to go, so I can get a refund........ I was told by Carnival that if I have to cancel, my cabin mate will have to pay more than double if they go on the cruise, or forfeit their amount paid if they don't go. They also said to call the insurance compnay (Berkley) to confirm the policy in that situation.

I'm so sorry that your friend can't go. It's so unfortunate when anyone plans a trip then they aren't able to go for whatever reason.

firefly: The cruise is already paid for, your response does not make sense. She will not be charged more. I say go, sorry your friend can't come - that is a terrible thing to happen a day before cruising. However, enjoy and try to make new friends.

remember now, their balance has not been paid in full....just the deposits.

If they are sailing tomorrow, they have to be payed in full by now. Absent cruiser won't be asking for refund, because her work place is covering the full fare. So let Carnival know he or she is a no-show, and enjoy the extra space in the cabin. :) Sorry for the shake up in plans, but I hope you have a great cruise anyhow and make friends to hang out with on board.

Originally Posted by firefly333

That is the biggest bunch of wrong information that has ever been posted.

The cabin is paid in full for two passengers. The one who is not showing can cancel or just not show. The one who cruises will not have their rate increased, they will not have to pay more. Nothing will happen. Carnival has the full double occupancy fare for the cabin and that is all that they are concerned with.

Another example of scare tactic. Simply bad information.

That is the biggest bunch of wrong information that has ever been posted.

The cabin is paid in full for two passengers. The one who is not showing can cancel or just not show. The one who cruises will not have their rate increased, they will not have to pay more. Nothing will happen. Carnival has the full double occupancy fare for the cabin and that is all that they are concerned with.

Another example of scare tactic. Simply bad information.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Having had this happen to me first hand... My cabinmate was unable to go the day before we sailed on the Fantasy due to a conflict. Calls and cancels with Carnival. I decide to still go and get to Port and they inform me that I now have to pay the extra $$$ because the booking is now considered a Solo booking.

So, YES, you will be charged the current solo rate AT CHECK-IN if your roommate calls and cancels their booking. Your booking will be changed from a double to a solo and you will be expected to pay the difference in the rate for that sailing and cabin category. Unfortunately, there were no 1A's available for me to drop down to that day in order to keep the costs down. I specifically asked what would have happened if just she hadn't called. I was told that the cabin would have been treated as "1 passenger -No Show" at check-in with no additional cost added.

Booking a cable as a single is more expensive than booking it for 2? Really?

Even when you factor in less in tips/portcharges?

There is 150% single supplement (you pay extra 50%) for CAT 1A and generally 200% single supplement (YOU PAY EXTRA 100%) for other cabins, if you book them 1 PAX. ken

Archived