Eurodam, where does it dock in St. Thomas?

Jimbo

All HAL ships dock at Crown Bay. There is a small shopping area there with taxis stands. You can walk to the end of the rd to the main thoroughfare and catch a local jitney bus for $1 ea. way. Many people walk into Charlotte Amalie but it is a good walk and then some more to Havensight.

All HAL ships dock at Crown Bay. There is a small shopping area there with taxis stands. You can walk to the end of the rd to the main thoroughfare and catch a local jitney bus for $1 ea. way. Many people walk into Charlotte Amalie but it is a good walk and then some more to Havensight.

So this local Jitney bus will get us from Crown Bay to Havensight? for a $1.00 each way? Have never been to Crown Bay, so you are saying walk pass the taxi stand to the main road and take a local bus? How do we know where the right place to be for this local bus? Is there a sign there or something?

Same goes for our ride back to Crown Bay from Havensight. Where do we pick it up at?

Jimbo:)

If you're in St Thomas when the Oasis ot Seas is there (Wednesdays, I believe) you'll dock at Havensight ... at least until they get Havensight dredged deep enough for the Oasis.

IIRC is you just come off the pier and get on a jitney it will cost you $4 into town. The $1 ones don't go all the way to Crown Bay, therefore you would have to walk down to main road to catch one. I suggest you take the $4 one into town/Havensight, and if at the end of the day you still have enough left in your feet and legs you can take the $1 one part way back. It will drop you off at a branch in the road where you can see the ship.

As far as where to catch it - ask a local where the nearest stop is when you're ready to leave.

I may be incorrect but I think that the Crown Bay is the home to the Princess and HAL ships - do not know about the Oasis but know we have been to STT on HAL and every time it has docked it Crown Bay - to get to your destination - get a taxi - they are regulated just avoid the gypsy cabs - should not be any in the port area - more downtown. Got to STT website and you can get the prices fro the taxis and a lot more information.

It is a very long walk from Crown Bay to Havensight. You could walk to Charlotte Amalie (though we don't think it a safe walk) but you need a taxi to Havensight. We used to walk from Havensight to town and enjoyed it but now ride the jitney ($4pp) from Crown Bay to downtown.

This is what I found about that public bus:

Public Transportation

vitran.jpgCountry Buses travel between town and Red Hook every hour. They start running at 5.15am from town and end at 8.00pm from Red Hook. There are buses that travel past the airport toward Bordeaux. City buses travel between the Schneider Regional Medical Center bus stop to town starting at 6.15am until 8:00pm. The first bus from the Airport to town is at 6am and the last is 8:00pm. Country Bus Fare $1 and City Bus $.75. The public bus system is not very reliable so is not recommended for people on a tight or limited time schedule.

If you're in St Thomas when the Oasis ot Seas is there (Wednesdays, I believe) you'll dock at Havensight ... at least until they get Havensight dredged deep enough for the Oasis.

IIRC is you just come off the pier and get on a jitney it will cost you $4 into town. The $1 ones don't go all the way to Crown Bay, therefore you would have to walk down to main road to catch one. I suggest you take the $4 one into town/Havensight, and if at the end of the day you still have enough left in your feet and legs you can take the $1 one part way back. It will drop you off at a branch in the road where you can see the ship.

As far as where to catch it - ask a local where the nearest stop is when you're ready to leave.

Had me scared! :eek: The Eurodam is in St. Thomas on Wednesday's, but the Oasis is there on Tuesday for our cruise. Plus, thankfully, the Freedom does not arrive until 11:00. Glad we will not have to fight that crowd for spots on the beach. :D There will be a few other ships in port as well, but it's always like that in St. Thomas.

Had me scared! :eek: The Eurodam is in St. Thomas on Wednesday's, but the Oasis is there on Tuesday for our cruise. Plus, thankfully, the Freedom does not arrive until 11:00. Glad we will not have to fight that crowd for spots on the beach. :D There will be a few other ships in port as well, but it's always like that in St. Thomas.

We were on the Eurodam a month ago and was next to the Disney Magic. That ship will also be in port March 3rd.

Happy cruising!

At the end of Jan Eurodam was at crown bay,which was certainly less convenient than Havenside, I wished it had docked there. Would have saved quite a bit in taxi fares and could have walked everywhere,much better. Crown bay is no mans land.

Unfortunately 3 years ago HAL signed a 10 year contract to dock at Crown Bay.

It is rare when a HAL ship docks at Havensight or anchors in the bay.

• 9 months later...

I am interested in where the Eurodam will dock in St Thomas on Wednesday December 8 .. we will be in port from 8 am till 5 pm.

Having been never there, I am trying to get some plans together for us for this port.

I would also love to know what public transportation options are available from where we dock. I am reading about a jitney, it will be very interesting to ride with the locals and see some parts of the island on a hop on hop off basis.

Where does the bus pick up, how frequent does it run and what is the cost please ? We will be interested in some sighseeing and getting to a beach perhaps and coming back with the jitney again if they run often.

Thank you kindly in advance for helping out.

Does anyone know where the tennis courts are at Crown Bay in relation to where the ship docks? I understand there are two courts close by.

• 1 month later...
It is a very long walk from Crown Bay to Havensight. You could walk to Charlotte Amalie (though we don't think it a safe walk) but you need a taxi to Havensight. We used to walk from Havensight to town and enjoyed it but now ride the jitney ($4pp) from Crown Bay to downtown.

Not safe? I've got some time after a shore excursion which will likely drop me at the ship and wanted to explore Charlotte Amalie myself and printed a self-guided walking tour from the tourism authority to do so. Should I ask the shore ex. operator to see if they could drop me in town for a tip?

If it matters the tour is the Champage snokel & catamaran to St. John and runs for approx 4 hours from 8:15 when we dock and I would have approx 4 hours on my own to explore.

Not safe? I've got some time after a shore excursion which will likely drop me at the ship and wanted to explore Charlotte Amalie myself and printed a self-guided walking tour from the tourism authority to do so. Should I ask the shore ex. operator to see if they could drop me in town for a tip?

If it matters the tour is the Champage snokel & catamaran to St. John and runs for approx 4 hours from 8:15 when we dock and I would have approx 4 hours on my own to explore.

Are you getting on the Catamaran at Crown Bay? If so -- it will also drop you off there. It would not be making a stop in downtown.

There are lots of Safari buses that you can take to get into downtown and get to return to the ship. Just watch your time!!

Are you getting on the Catamaran at Crown Bay? If so -- it will also drop you off there. It would not be making a stop in downtown.

No, the description says "your relaxing but fun filled day begins with a short scenic ride to a quaint marina where you will board you catamaran." I'll see if the same short scenic ride at the end could be extended to take me into Charlotte Amalie which is by most accounts around a mile away. I'll cab it if I have to if others think it not safe and will watch the time as that 4+ hours can pass quickly.

No, the description says "your relaxing but fun filled day begins with a short scenic ride to a quaint marina where you will board you catamaran." I'll see if the same short scenic ride at the end could be extended to take me into Charlotte Amalie which is by most accounts around a mile away. I'll cab it if I have to if others think it not safe and will watch the time as that 4+ hours can pass quickly.
I'd take that to mean that the catamaran pier is either in C.A. or over at Havensite (where we got on our submarine excursion).

Also, I think what Sail meant by "not safe" is that it's not a good road to be walking along because there are only poor-to-bad-to-no sidewalks, and it has lots of traffic. (We walked part of it.) The town itself is reasonably safe IMO.

Note that this thread you've resurrected is old, and info I posted in Feb 2010 was before plans for the Oasis and Allure were definite.

We've docked at Crown Bay three times and always have taken the shuttle into town. Strictly by observation my feeling has always been that the walk into town was not safe because there virtually are no sidewalks along much of the way and it is a very busy road. Not once in more visits than I can remember have I felt unsafe in town. I do kind of miss the "old days" when we were on the Ryndam a couple of visits and she anchored in the bay rather than docking. Maybe not all that convenient but being out in the middle of the bay with the smaller boats and seaplanes going by was kind of neat.

I'd take that to mean that the catamaran pier is either in C.A. or over at Havensite (where we got on our submarine excursion).

Also, I think what Sail meant by "not safe" is that it's not a good road to be walking along because there are only poor-to-bad-to-no sidewalks, and it has lots of traffic. (We walked part of it.) The town itself is reasonably safe IMO.

Note that this thread you've resurrected is old, and info I posted in Feb 2010 was before plans for the Oasis and Allure were definite.

Thanks and I wasn't holding the RCL info against you as I knew it changed since this thread was around but it seemed the most appropriate venue to extend the discussion with my questions. Luckily I miss the Oasis by a day as our St. Thomas stop is a Wed., not a Tues. :cool:

We've docked at Crown Bay three times and always have taken the shuttle into town. Strictly by observation my feeling has always been that the walk into town was not safe because there virtually are no sidewalks along much of the way and it is a very busy road. Not once in more visits than I can remember have I felt unsafe in town.

Good to here and I'll see if I can either sweet talk the shore ex. transfer folks into dropping me in town or just take a cab as I want to wander the sights for a bit. Thanks for the input!

I asked as we have docked many times at Crown Bay and there is a marina there -- plus we have seen catamarans actually come in there to pick up and drop off passengers.

Does sound like you will be at Havensight as I have not seen catamarans go in and out of down town.

Archived