port research

Blondilu

When a question is asked on the CC boards regarding activities and excursions at a given port, often someone will respond with “do your homework.” I am not trying to be a smart***, but would be really interested in what that means exactly. If coming on CC and asking the question is NOT homework, than what is? Are we talking TripAdvisor, or do you do an online search for activities and tours in the area you will be visiting? How do you compare? What are your criteria? I usually use the ship-sponsored excursions, mostly because it’s just easier, even if a little more expensive. I would really like to hear what research others do to make a decision when not doing the ships tours. Thanks.

When a question is asked on the CC boards regarding activities and excursions at a given port, often someone will respond with “do your homework.” I am not trying to be a smart***, but would be really interested in what that means exactly. If coming on CC and asking the question is NOT homework, than what is? Are we talking TripAdvisor, or do you do an online search for activities and tours in the area you will be visiting? How do you compare? What are your criteria? I usually use the ship-sponsored excursions, mostly because it’s just easier, even if a little more expensive. I would really like to hear what research others do to make a decision when not doing the ships tours. Thanks.

In my case, I do 3 things:

1-Google the city/port in question and try to find travel/tour companies. Believe me, you have to do a lot of clicking.

2-Re the port/cities in question I try to find a thread either in Cruise Critic/Trip Advisor and get to that port in the discussion.

3-I research cruises that have gone/are going in similar itineraries and find whom they have contacted for independent tours, in most cases you will find their names and web address that way. This I find useful in some itineraries like Amazon area, some Asian and African ports.

Hope this helps.

When my kids do homework, they aren't starting from scratch. They already have done some work in the subject, and if they need to find things out, they have to do some research. It doesn't mean to start from scratch.

I think it can be annoying when posters often ask questions who haven't tried to find out anything at all by themselves. Such as, "My ship is docking at St. Thomas. Is there anything to do there?" Or, "how do I get from the port to Rome"? I don't answer these anymore, because I think people should at least do some basic research first, starting by using the "Search" function of this webpage.

I think looking on tripadvisor.com, frommers.com, fodors.com, loneyplanet.com, etc., or going to the library and checking out a travel guide for the area if you don't wish to purchase one, can give you a general idea of what there is to see/do. You can also look at the excursions offered by your ship, which usually takes you to the highlights of the area. Read through the Ports of Call section of this webpage and see what people are doing. Go to your sailing's roll call as people will be discussing excursions there also.

Then, decide what interests you and can ask a more specific question, or start googling and looking at non-ship tours. There is no rule that says you have to do excursions at all. We've had a wonderful time just meeting other people on the cruise, sharing a rental car or cab, and going to sites ourselves, and using our guidebooks.

I never take the ship's excursions.

I find a guidebook to be the best way to "do your homework"....you can read EVERYTHING about a given place...then, when you hit the 'port of call' boards, you can ask specific questions about specific things....

Just going online and asking, "What should we do?" doesn't really give anyone an opportunity to respond in a helpful manner!

Thank you for your responses. The truth is I rarely go anywhere completely blind. But, here and TripAdvisor are the only places I know of to start. The search option on CC frustates the heck out of me, so I don't usually use it. But, I do read through a lot of threads and get some good info that way. And for some reason I never remember to go to the "Ports" boards. I will for sure put that on my list along with the other websites mentioned. Thanks again.

Most cities / towns have web sites now - some of them are very good. You can usually find tours, etc. there.

I also look up the port on Google Earth. It's a great way to see what the area actually looks like. We decided to do some of our upcoming Caribbean cruise ports on our own after seeing how small the islands are and what's nearby where the ship docks.

Thank you for your responses. The truth is I rarely go anywhere completely blind. But, here and TripAdvisor are the only places I know of to start. The search option on CC frustates the heck out of me, so I don't usually use it. But, I do read through a lot of threads and get some good info that way. And for some reason I never remember to go to the "Ports" boards. I will for sure put that on my list along with the other websites mentioned. Thanks again.

I'm not being snarky and am asking this seriously. Have you tried using the Advanced Search, rather than the simple Search option?

I too was frustrated with the simple Search because it took forever, brought up threads with little to do with my subject, and searched back to the beginning of time (so to speak). Then I learned some tricks:

1. Always use the Advanced Search option.

2. Use narrowly constructed search terms; use quotes around specific phrases and don't try to search for multiple things at once.

3. Set the date range to go back only 6 months (maximum) to start. If you don't get enough threads with that, then go back further.

4. Always scroll over to the right and click on the name of the forum you're searching, even though it will already be highlighted (strange, but it helps).

After I started searching using the tips above, the search function became my friend.

As for what I consider homework: Browsing through the Port of Call forums related to the cruise itinerary; searching some of the big travel sites, such as those listed by 6rugrats; going to the library and checking out books about the places we're visiting; checking the cruise line's excursion offerings, which often give a good idea of what might be available to do/see there. We also go to AAA and get maps because that's fun.

Like 6rugrats, I no longer read or answer threads with questions like "We're going to Alaska, what should we do there?" or "Is there anything to do or see in Hawaii?" or things like that. Honestly, it's annoying to think that someone can't even be bothered to do any research. I also don't like questions such as "Will we like such-and-so?" or "What's fun to do in wherever?" We can't know if someone else will like something and we can't give suggestions on what might be fun for them unless we actually know something about them. IMO, it's a lazy way to try to get information. Heaven knows, I can be a lazy chick sometimes, but I don't expect others to do my "work" for me.

beachchick

Beachchick, maybe I didn't use the search feature correctly, maybe I was just impatient. I'll try again using your advice regarding "Advanced Search" and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

Obviously a question like, "What is there to do in Timbuktu?" is too broad and I can see why it would be annoying to those who know all the ins and outs of finding info on particular destinations. And, now I know, too.

LonelyPLanet, check

Fodors, check

Websites of particular destinations, check

Google search, check

CC Advanced search, check

Library, check

And, that Google Earth thing, boy is that addicting. I really can see Russia from my house!

When I see anything at all that sounds interesting here or other sites I print it. I then high light the 'good' stuff and it goes into the folder for THAT port. I have folders for just about all the Caribean ports. When we cruise I pull out the port folders and go thru them. Then we decide what we want to do in each port. Also have folders for parking and also just 'cruising' for hotels, etc.

CRUISE LINES WE'VE BEEN ON:

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

Celebrity

NCL

Princess

Costa

I have to admit that one thing that bothers me is when people here say, "I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm too lazy to search.", or "The search funtion is down right now."

First of all, the search function is not down. It works perfectly well. At the middle right hand side of each individual board there is a search tool and it says "Search this Forum". THIS is the one to use - click on it, type in two or three words (eg. "Miami hotel" or the name of the specific hotel you are looking at, or "car rental Fort Lauderdale", etc.) and it will bring up the threads in which your keywords are mentioned. Now, you may have to wade through the results, but trust me, every question has been asked and answered here dozens and even hundreds of times! The answers are here, you just have to do your homework (yes, really).

I don't think showing up blind to ask the question is homework. That is passing the buck to those that did theirs. Also not trying to be smart, just giving you my gut feel on that aspect.

On these boards appear a Ports Of Call section where endless info on tours/vendors/pricing, on and on, appear arranged by port. If you go to the cruiseline board or this Ask section, you aren't in the Port of Call section, and are usually directed there to complete your homework.

This is not where I start. I like Fodor's, Frommer's, Lonely Planet, those deals, because they give a lot of insight into the area. That is not for everyone, but that's how I start because I don't yet know what all is available. I like to find out a lot about the port cities because they are the reason I travel. Those guides will usually narrow it down greatly for me, and often I find that I don't need a tour at all - there might be a cheap city bus!

I might look at ship excursions next to see what they are offering for how much as a quick stop, and if any are of interest, will do more online for the city, seeking vendors and such and pricing. But Ports of Call section is where I refine the plan with those that have been there and done that.

I do all of the things mentioned above. I also have a couple of websites I really like.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/

http://europeforvisitors.com/

These sites, as well as this CC website, ship's excursions, library and Internet searching for each port itself, should give you a good insight as to what is available to do in each port.

I also like the Roll Call section of this board, to share transfers, tours, Meet & Greets, etc.

Beachchick, maybe I didn't use the search feature correctly, maybe I was just impatient. I'll try again using your advice regarding "Advanced Search" and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

Obviously a question like, "What is there to do in Timbuktu?" is too broad and I can see why it would be annoying to those who know all the ins and outs of finding info on particular destinations. And, now I know, too.

LonelyPLanet, check

Fodors, check

Websites of particular destinations, check

Google search, check

CC Advanced search, check

Library, check

And, that Google Earth thing, boy is that addicting. I really can see Russia from my house!

Good one!:p:D

One other thing that occurs to me is that when anyone comes and asks broad "help me because I know nothing" questions, it is as if they are treating the members here as travel agents who have time (and the inclination) to start from the beginning and go through everything. Most of us aren't travel agents and it's not our "job" to act as ones, IMO. One of the main functions of travel agents is to help clients who have those "help me" questions. I guess that's why I just ignore questions that ask us to do all the work for someone else. The Hawaii forum is particularly tough for me because there are so often questions such as "What are the best things to do in Hawaii?" There are literally hundreds of things to do and see on the islands, and my "musts" might be someone else's "no ways." It would take me hours (I kid you not) to talk about our must dos/sees, and that's just our preferences. Then it would take hours more to write about the islands and the people and how to get there and what the various cruises offer and what's different at various times of the year and, well, you get the idea. See what I mean?

Of course we all love to "talk" about cruising and travel. I am happy to answer more specific questions (if/when I can) and give opinions or experiences (if appropriate), but I don't like being asked to do the basic research for others.

That's a good list you've compiled and is a good start for virtually any travel. You're right about Google Earth...Now, may I interest you in Panoramio? (If you like it and get addicted, you can blame my DH as he discovered it for me.)

beachchick

Good one!:p:D

That's a good list you've compiled and is a good start for virtually any travel. You're right about Google Earth...Now, may I interest you in Panoramio? (If you like it and get addicted, you can blame my DH as he discovered it for me.)

beachchick

I've posted pics on Panoramio - a bit of work but fun. And it's really nice to see other's shots of where you're going to be going.

You always wonder if the photos on a travel site have been photoshopped to the point where they're not really representative - is the water really that shade of turquioise in the Caribbean? Then you see the picture that John Doe from Virginia took and the water really is that blue.

I've posted pics on Panoramio - a bit of work but fun. And it's really nice to see other's shots of where you're going to be going.

You always wonder if the photos on a travel site have been photoshopped to the point where they're not really representative - is the water really that shade of turquioise in the Caribbean? Then you see the picture that John Doe from Virginia took and the water really is that blue.

We've wondered about how Photoshopped (or similar) many photos are. We haven't posted photos or anything, but we have fun looking at photos of places we love and places we'll be visiting. It's funny you mention the color of the Caribbean. Until we actually cruised there for the first time, I was pretty well convinced that "Caribbean blue" had to be hyped. My DH had been to the western Caribbean and eastern parts of the gulf, so he knew. But I was still not 100% sure about it... Then we cruised our first Caribbean cruise on the eastern itinerary (loved it). We cruised out of Canavaral and had a sea day the first full day. My DH and I got up about 9 am. I groggily wandered to balcony with my cup of coffee and looked out to sea. Oh wow! The water really and truly was as blue and deep and rich in color as everyone said and as the photos showed. My DH came out with his cup of coffee, took a sip as he joined me at the railing, and casually asked me, "So, what do you think of the water?":D

beachchick

Archived