What are the chances of getting to see the bridge?

TigerStar

You can see into the bridge wings from public areas nearby, but it's not quite the same as being in there.

Some people have reported success if they write a polite letter to the captain (especially if the kids writes it), leaving it at the passenger services desk. But I wouldn't pin my hopes on that happening.

As for the $95 tour, I did it, and would recommend it to anyone interested in the behind the scenes operations of things like this. I also like to take stadium tours, and used to visit the cockpit of almost every plane I flew on when I was a kid. You'll definitely find worse ways to blow $95 (or $190 in this case) on the ship than taking this tour.

Without taking the Behind the Fun tours, what are the chances of being able to go to the bridge? My son would LOVE that (as I would) but I don't want to pay $95 for the tour for each of us.

We were invited to tour the bridge on our last Celebrity Millennium cruise. (Captain's Club Elite).

Some of the smaller lines still allow it. As of a couple years ago Windstar allowed you in the bridge and a much smaller line American Safari does. Not quite the thrill of a huge ship but still fun.

Windstar still has an open bridge policy.

Wow, so maybe a snowball's chance at best.

I may get my son to write a letter, maybe embellish it with "I want to be a cruise ship Captain someday". Maybe some artwork he drew.

I would just hate to spend that money, even if it is worth it. Maybe I can talk the wife into letting just the boys go.

My friend at work went with his wife on a Princess cruise just a couple of years ago and renewed their vows....they got a tour of the bridge...also in 2008 when we were on the Serenade of the Seas, from our balcony we could see people touring the bridge (I don't think officers wear flowery dresses there...so it had to be a tourist ....or maybe an officers spouse...but nonetheless...they were there)

Some of the ships have public outside decks forward just below the bridge. Even if you can't get in there, you can see some of what is happening. More interesting if the port pilot is in there.

That's what I was afraid of.

I guess I just need to find someone to bribe late at night!

Surely you realize the Bridge is manned 24/7 :) This makes it sound like no one's up there late at night. ;)

Surely you realize the Bridge is manned 24/7 :) This makes it sound like no one's up there late at night. ;)

LOL Yeah, I figured that. I figured (teasingly) that maybe a junior officer was in charge late at night and easily bribed.

Why don't you do this if you can be convincing enough. You said boys in one of your posts.

You will see the Captain on board some place. Just go up to him with your boys and ask if they can see the bridge. If money is the problem just say taking the kids on the cruise there is no more budget for a paid tour. I would almost bet the answer will be ok.:D

Wow, so maybe a snowball's chance at best.

I may get my son to write a letter, maybe embellish it with "I want to be a cruise ship Captain someday". Maybe some artwork he drew.

I would just hate to spend that money, even if it is worth it. Maybe I can talk the wife into letting just the boys go.

We took the "Behind the Fun Tour" on my last cruise (Carnival Conquest, Jan 2010) and it was worth every cent. I am not sure how young or old your son is but the age limit for the tour is 13 years old and up.

Why don't you do this if you can be convincing enough. You said boys in one of your posts.

You will see the Captain on board some place. Just go up to him with your boys and ask if they can see the bridge. If money is the problem just say taking the kids on the cruise there is no more budget for a paid tour. I would almost bet the answer will be ok.:D

That sound touchy to me. The cruise the OP lists in at the height of the family summer travel season on a family friendly cruise line. On the positive side, her son will probably have lots of playmates aboard. On the down side, every kid would want to see the bridge, and the Captain knows it. So if he lets this family in, word will spread and he will be flooded with more requests. And if he turns down other families, there will be anger, maybe even perceived discrimination. If he lets them all in, the bridge is over-run and on board revenue drops (unsold tours). It would be safest for the even the nicest Captain to say no when approached.

I think the idea of a letter dropped at reception is better. It demonstrates good manners and might even lead the captain to think the child is mature enough to be descreet. On the other hand, suggesting such a direct letter might get the child's hopes up. One might encourage a letter asking questions about the ship, bridge, life at sea, or whatever interests the child. Then he stands a chance of getting a letter back, a meeting with an officier, or even a tour. If perchance he gets no answer, it is a less pleasant life lesson.

If this were a long cruise with very few kids, a family in a high-end suite guided by the Concierge, or a top-tier loyalty member, the odds might be better.

I had one bridge tour. On a long cruise on Celebrity Constellation last fall, people who attended the CC Connections party were later invited in groups for a short bridge tour. They asked us to be descreet about the special invitation. I'm not sure if Carnival even has similar CC parties, but if so register. Nothing to lose.

Good points.

DS is 9 so he couldn't do the tour anyway. I think we might try to letter. If nothing else, maybe the Captain will reply somehow, even without a tour. That would be cool for my son.

BTW, I'm a dude.

there's another small chance for your son. sometimes the kids' program will be invited to the bridge for a "tour". I have been on a few of those tours when I was younger, and they were fun. the officers let the kids steer the ship, wear the hats, things like that. it's mainly the 12 and unders, the teens are rarely - if ever - invited - they don't really appreciate it unfortunately. :(

Slim to none.

My first TA was with some friends when we toured Europe all summer after college and the VW bug we drove, overloaded, for over 10,000 miles. The ship was late ( Japanese freighter with 11 pax) and they let us use the ship as a hotel. (The purser was reluctant to say we could eat breakfast and dinner on board until we gave him a bottle of Benidictine for him and one for the Capt. After that he told us the breakfast and dinner times and said we could park the VW on the dock at night until departure.)

During dinner one night we saw our car being taken aboard, and were very pleased when the Capt. invited us to the bridge for our departure. We watched the lights of some countries and watched the traffic and other ships on the radar for quite a while. Best bottle we ever bought!:D

We sailed from Brussels, for those with maps.

I was 1 year out of school and spent every penny I had. Worth it, that was 55 years ago and the memories are still clear (what did I have for lunch today?)

Now that people are paying $95 to see the bridge, Captains are more reluctant than ever to give free tours.

All they need is for one of the "freebies" to shoot his mouth off to someone who paid.

Then we have people screaming at the Purser's Desk, demanding refunds, wanting the Captain sacked, etc, etc, etc.

I have seen this happen for far less important issues.

Archived