Couldn't Post most of the day :(

Many of these things appear to be rigged so the "x" to close is false -- clicking ANYWHERE in the box will start the download. When you see this type of box -- stop your computer immediately.

Good to know! I was wondering how I got there when I was trying to close it...not open it.

By the way, I had buttons until I rebooted my computer a few minutes ago...now there are no buttons. Just words that say "reply here".

Very strange!

In times like that, it's good to know the keyboard shortcuts for a few basic things. On a PC, ALT + F4 will close a program, same as hitting the "X" in a normal window. On a Mac, command + Q does the same thing.

I'm pretty sure we don't have any problems with our Macs that were caused by this. I'm doing lots of work right now and surfing other sites with no problems. The only issue for me is the formatting on these pages at CC.

The day will probably come when we DO have to worry about viruses on Macs, but we're not there yet. Yay, Team Apple!

That was the reassurance I was looking for. Though even with my Mac I am still very careful opening links and downloads. Right now my son is updating my Netbook and running a full scan to be sure it is clean/

I'm having the same problem. The other day a big gray box popped up in the lower right hand corner stating a Trojan alert from Mcafee so I clicked it on thinking it was ok because it was from Mcafee that's when all h*** broke out. My computer went to an all blue screen with white writing. I'm obviously not to computer literate and thought it was ok to click. Which, BTW I don't normally do but that scared the heck out of me.

We have Modzilla Foxfire and may have to get a new computer and DH is not to happy with me in the least.

I know it's been a few days and I don't remember clicking anything unusual on the boards.

DH went and backed up all his stuff for fear of the darn thing crashing . What a mess!!!!

OOOOHHH.:D Thank you so much! That makes a lot more sense now, if it was utilizing the big name anti-virus software companies for familiarity to try to attack. Although I have Microsoft Defender too, I have a different company for anti virus protection. That's why it looked so weird to me..but probably not to you.

My apologies. Same advice, don't CLICK, but I better understand what happened now. Almost like a horror movie, where it looks different to individual people. That's awful.

I'm having the same problem. The other day a big gray box popped up in the lower right hand corner stating a Trojan alert from Mcafee so I clicked it on thinking it was ok because it was from Mcafee that's when all h*** broke out. My computer went to an all blue screen with white writing. I'm obviously not to computer literate and thought it was ok to click. Which, BTW I don't normally do but that scared the heck out of me.

We have Modzilla Foxfire and may have to get a new computer and DH is not to happy with me in the least.

I know it's been a few days and I don't remember clicking anything unusual on the boards.

DH went and backed up all his stuff for fear of the darn thing crashing . What a mess!!!!

The only pop-up I received was from McAfee (I think it was Mon. 3-15?? Could have been earlier) just above my lower right-hand McAfee logo stating that a trojan virus had been detected and removed. No reference to CC, but it did give an IP number. Like I would know what that was. There was nothing to click on -the pop-up disappeared. I've not had any problems at all. I use Mozilla Firefox and Total Protection McAfee. Now - long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, my Compaq PC was infected with some worm exe thing, despite the factory-installed Norton. Couldn't get it to the dumpster fast enough. Then, got an E-Machine PC. Don't laugh. No problems at all. Gave it to my neighbor when I bought my laptop (Sony VAIO) and we still e-mail each other (usually dirty jokes) all the time! Yeah - ugly and bulky, but still works after six years. My kids are MAC brats, but they have more money than I do. I don't know squat, but I've had no problems.

It's more a configuration thing for the difference in display between IE and Firefox.

To make things simpler, I'd suggest any IE user go to: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced, then scroll down the list (about 2/3 down) and enable "Show Image Download Placeholders"

You'll then see where the button should be, and what button it's trying to load, although the images still aren't on the cruisecritic server. This setting is global but generally a good thing for other sites imo as well.

It's more a configuration thing for the difference in display between IE and Firefox.

To make things simpler, I'd suggest any IE user go to: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced, then scroll down the list (about 2/3 down) and enable "Show Image Download Placeholders"

You'll then see where the button should be, and what button it's trying to load, although the images still aren't on the cruisecritic server. This setting is global but generally a good thing for other sites imo as well.

Thank you, that was very helpful.

I didn't get any pop-ups or virus alerts and didn't click anything at all. As advised on some of the other "Help" threads on this subject, I downloaded Foxfire. So far, so good. As suggested, I went to "help," found more info on this subject which seems to suggest that it might be a problem with the CC server. I do not think my computer has a virus. (famous last words!)

I've just moved over to Firefox and it appeared to be better intially. There's a new column on the left of the Board page which shows how many poists I;ve made to a particular post already; not seen that before. Lots of the buttons still not displayed.

Edit: there is also now an option to go to the last new post

I use Firefox and it is still messed up. It seems to only be the main pages and the posts within a thread are fine.

I use Firefox at home and IE at work. This issue has not occurred at all for me. I guess I've been lucky.

Archived