Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

• 10 months later...

Just curious....

I've used a lanyard for every cruise I have taken, as they have made it very convenient to keep up with... Those that do NOT use them, what do you do with your card?  All the cruises that I have been on, with exception of Alaska, have been tropical hot weather and we would be in board shorts and bathing suits...

On 8/22/2019 at 11:02 PM, JMarlowe said:

Just curious....

I've used a lanyard for every cruise I have taken, as they have made it very convenient to keep up with... Those that do NOT use them, what do you do with your card?

I put mine in my pocket. I never swim in the pools or in the ocean, so I need not worry about getting the card wet.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, JMarlowe said:

I've used a lanyard for every cruise I have taken, as they have made it very convenient to keep up with... Those that do NOT use them, what do you do with your card?  All the cruises that I have been on, with exception of Alaska, have been tropical hot weather and we would be in board shorts and bathing suits...

I took a lanyard from a USB flash drive, and tied the card to the end of it.  The landyard has a clip on it, for detatching the flash drive.  I tie the whole thing to my belt loop, keep the card discreetly in my pocket, and detatch it when I need to buy a drink at the bar or something. 

The lanyard clip broke since then, so this time, I plan to repurpose the extendable belt clip from my job's access badge.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

• 1 month later...

♥️ this thread.  It has me reminiscing of my first several cruises.  The biggest thing I've learned since the early cruising years is to layout what you plan to pack and then halve it.  I only take 3 pairs of shoes and they must go with whatever I'm packing.  You can wear the same outfit twice; people are really not going to notice and if they do, they won't judge.

I still wear a lanyard or switch it up to a wristlet.  If I know my DH isn't leaving my side for the evening, he my even cary my SS card.  I like to switch it up that way. I would never judge someone on how they carry their card or for carrying a purse.  We're on vacation.  We're not the fashion police.

What I do notice is sometime newbies will have the daily activity sheet in their hands, roaming the hallways looking like lost sheep.  I step in and try to point them in the right direction, as I would have wanted someone to do for me, if I had found myself in a similar situation.  I feel like we can help mentor these novice cruisers into having a great trip.  Here are my tips:

1)  Stay away from the Inch of Gold sale. The stuff tarnishes quickly and the clasps break quick too.  Not worth the $$.  

2) Ports of Call talks are sales pitches to go into the cruise line sponsored stores.  Do your research before you board.

3) If you and your cabin-mate both don't have the internet package to communicate, come up with a communication system or meeting places at certain times or you will be roaming the ship looking for each other.

4) Relax. Don't feel like you have to do everything.  You CAN do everything (but you don't have to).

5) You might need a vacation from vacation depending on how much you do onboard.

Now, I still get advice from more senior cruisers than I.  There are hidden gems in some ports which I've not been to.  When I'm sitting at the bar, I like soliciting feedback from my more seasoned cruisers.  Never once, has anyone looked down on me for picking their brain.  I think most people like to be helpful.  Newbies - use this to your advantage.  Enjoy your trip everyone!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2010 at 8:44 PM, chasetf said:

Wearing their cruise card on a lanyard around their neck.

I have been cruising for a pretty long time and I still do that.  It's just a habit. Plus people know where to return me if they find me somewhere.  

• Like 1

Many have mentioned some of the same things but:

Worrying about everything. "Where is our luggage?"  "When do we eat?" "What should I wear?" "Will I make it back to the ship on time?"

Trying to do too much.  Never relaxing. 

Complaining because something on the ship is "not like it is at home".   

1 hour ago, S-and-J said:

The day I stop gawking at my surroundings and the enormous beauty of the ship, is the day i stop cruising

Even though we haven't done a LOT of cruises (22) I hope I NEVER reach this point where I take it for granted. I still marvel at the beauty, both outside (the majesty) and most of all the interior ( the vastness) of the ship.

Mac 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2012 at 3:42 AM, birthdaycruise50 said:

I've been on 3 cruises and am planning my fourth I wear my sail and sign card on a lanyard around my neck so i don't lose it,

Oh, is that what S&S stands for.  In the UK S&S stands for something else, something unsavoury.

"What's for dinner, mum?"

"S&S"

"Sorry I asked."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, conjr said:

5) You might need a vacation from vacation depending on how much you do onboard.

Now, I still get advice from more senior cruisers than I.  There are hidden gems in some ports which I've not been to. 

"Vacation from vacation" is spot-on.  I always made sure I come back from my cruises at the end of the workweek, as to have a "recovery weekend" afterwards.  After coming back from my Inspiration cruise, I slept for 10 hours.  As I said to my coworkers this year, "My cruise was incredibly fun, but it's not a relaxing vacation!"  Which is true: you're always go-go-go during the day, partying into wee hours of the night, getting up early to make it to activities, and sleeping for 6 hours maximum, with as little as 4 hours the night before debarkation.

Your second line is the reason I like US ports.  Since I cruise solo, safety is harder to come by than for a group or even a couple.  So I don't always feel comfortable wandering around alone in a foreign port.  But most US ports of call are very safe.  That's where I find gems many cruisers overlook: quirky art galleries, cheap food places, scenic parks, etc.  It makes for great dinner conversations with my tablemates.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

On 10/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, conjr said:

When I'm sitting at the bar, I like soliciting feedback from my more seasoned cruisers.  Never once, has anyone looked down on me for picking their brain.  I think most people like to be helpful.  

I do this on and off cruise ships and get the best information.  We’ve taken 12 cruises spending around 300 days on a cruise ship.  We typically travel around 6 months a year combining cruises with land travel and have done that for 13 years now.   I do all the planning and booking and all of our trips include doing something or going somewhere I’ve learned about by picking someone’s brain.  I’ve never met anyone unwilling to discuss their experiences with me.  

I used to think I could pick cruise virgins because they did everything on board and weren’t very relaxed but I’ve learned that isn’t always true.   I used to think cruise virgins did things like buy art, jewelry, wear lanyards, decorate their doors, etc but I’ve learned that isn’t true either.   So I’m not sure anymore how to pick a cruise virgin. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2010 at 6:57 PM, Bholling said:

I've been on 12 cruises and I swear that the instructions are to put your life jacket on, and then proceed quickly and safely to your muster station...not drag the jacket along behind you so the pax behind you trip on the straps...

On HAL, we do not bring our life jackets to the drill -- not for many years!

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, Thebosn1 said:

Worrying about everything. "Where is our luggage?"  "When do we eat?" "What should I wear?" "Will I make it back to the ship on time?"

We only go on one big vacation a year right now (hopefully that changes). We have never been on a cruise and the last thing I am going to do is worry about little things. All of these I am doing now and for the next 6 months. That way when we are there, it is just fun. Luggage? If it gets there good, if not figure it out as we go. When do we eat? When you're hungry. Will I make it back to the ship on time? Well, that is a different one. We only have on excursion planned and the guys running it are from my home town. They assured me we will be back on time. I even asked if something happened to the boat and he said they just put a call out and the other boats come by and load passengers to get back. They all help each other.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 6:43 AM, S-and-J said:

Oh, is that what S&S stands for.  In the UK S&S stands for something else, something unsavoury.

"What's for dinner, mum?"

"S&S"

"Sorry I asked."

It's on a Shingle here.  Hamburger gravy over toast.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2010 at 7:44 PM, chasetf said:

Wearing their cruise card on a lanyard around their neck.

I always do this. It's so handy, and I am not risking laying it down somewhere. I didn't realize it's a sign of a newbie!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2010 at 6:25 PM, tutuwahineLV said:

lol...we do that for convenience....:cool: doesn't automatically flag you as a newbie.

might have something to do with the fact that we're used to it because our job id's are on a lanyard too...

and I don't usually have pockets in what I'm wearing. 😄

In defense of the lanyards: Said in the tone of Scarface- "Pockets? We don't need no stinkin' pockets!!".... On a vacation, I don't have to worry about some things, like the fact that many women's designers think that women are horribly allergic to pants or shorts pockets capable of holding anything.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some people adapt very quickly to cruise ship life...

But a understand newbie who only do 3 night cruises... it takes longer

Minimum cruise is 13 nights for us.. so plenty of time to get into the swing

Also wear a lanyard but tuck it into shirt and make sure not visible on shore...

Don 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, capncarp said:

I feel called out by that!

Re "eating every meal and then some" to which you responded.  

Been there!  Done that!  Unwise for me to reprise, after many cruises, to reprise that scenario now.  But, I enjoyed every morsel that I consumed!

On 8/23/2019 at 2:02 AM, JMarlowe said:

I've used a lanyard for every cruise I have taken, as they have made it very convenient to keep up with... Those that do NOT use them, what do you do with your card?

Never have felt the need to use a lanyard.  I would not like having something flopping around on my chest as I walk about on the ship.

A cruise travel agency with which I have patronized gave me a pocket sized vinyl or leather folder that had two sides in its interior.  One was for the cruise card.  One could be used for ID, beverage cards, etc.  I still use these today.  I put the folder in my pants or shirt pocket.  It's readily available.  

21st Century "stuff":  the electronic passes that one may be given for used "out and about" the ship do work.  My sole experience was aboard MSC Meraviglia in January, 2020 in YC.  I was impressed.  It's my understanding that Princess' Medallion version of this is liked by many.  My last sailing on Princess was in late July, 2019 aboard Coral Princess. The electronic version was not available.  

On 4/6/2016 at 5:44 PM, egjg1971 said:

Newbie no/no~

I would say using a selfie stick hanging over every rail and posing yourself over and over until you get that perfect shot... in line, in the buffet, in the piazza, on the tender, at the coffee bar... you get my drift!

Of course you could make their cruise memorable and photo-bomb as many of their selfies as you can.  Afterward they'll be wondering "who was that old bald fat guy in the hawaiian shirt in the background of so many of our pics???"