Any cruise ship with pool on board?

TravelSmarty

I have been on so many cruises. I am very luck that way! Each ship has something that is unique about it. Some have the surf outdoors thing. Others have b-ball courts and rock climbing walls. Does anyone know of a cruise ship with a really nice pool on board? All the ones I have been are lacking in pools at least for the adults. The area for swimming for kids always seems to be okay. Hot tubs are never a problem either. I was looking at above ground pools at sites like

http://www.pcpools.com Do you think cruise ships could use these companies?

One of the 4 pools on the Princess Star has a machine that creates a strong current down the centre of the pool which makes for great exercise to swim against. A couple of their pools are adult only.

When I first read the OP I thought it was a joke. But we will give the poster the benefit of the doubt and assume it is a sincere post. Yes, just about every cruise ship has one or more pools. None of these pools are very large due to issues with weight and the size of the ship. As to the pools being filled with kids, this is true on most shorter (10 days or less) Caribbean cruises. If your issue has to do with the children you need to choose a cruise that does not attract lots of kids (we do this all the time). The dirty secret is to book long cruises that operate during the school year. The transatlantic repositioning cruises (generally in April, May, Oct and Nov) are usually good cruises for those wanting to minimize the number of children (and other young cruisers).

Hank

One of the 4 pools on the Princess Star has a machine that creates a strong current down the centre of the pool which makes for great exercise to swim against. A couple of their pools are adult only.

Also in the Adult section of the Golden Princess, they do have the current, so you can sort of swim a decent lap.

Most RCI ships have a Solarium with a small pool (usually will have the swim current option) and a couple of hottubs. The Solariums are for 16 years and older. The Solariums are very enjoyable.

I have to say that I've never considered any cruise ship pool "really nice" in the sense that space is limited, so the pool size is affected by that. Add in having a kid's pool, an "everyone" pool, and then perhaps an adults-only pool (or full pool area) and overall pool sizes are affected even more. And I mean no offense, but I wouldn't consider the above ground pools like those in the link to be "really nice" either. Those actually seem "cheap" to me. There certainly wouldn't be any real "pool area" around them. They look like the ones we had in our yard during the summer when I was growing up. I can't imagine a cruise line would even consider something like an "above deck" pool!

beachchick

I doubt an above ground pool would have the strength and integrity to withstand rough waters and winds that ships sometimes encounter. In ground pools can be drained easily to change water and also lower the water level during storms to prevent the splashing that goes on. Above ground pools would not be able to be drained as easily and wouldn't stay upright if this were to happen.

All HAL ships (with exception of Rotterdam and Veendam), have adult aft pools. These are set into the deck with surrounding lounge chair deck space and are about our favorite spot on a beautiful Caribbean day.

(I'm not sure what pools Prinsendam has. She was not built by HAL and is different than the rest of the fleet.)

Archived