Backpack on plane

Karlie1

Go to your airline and see what the dimensions are for carry ons. If your dimensions are over what is allowed, or the bag does not fit into the overhead or under the seat in front of you, they will take your bag and gate check it.

Typically, carry on is no more than 45 linear inches (height, depth and width combined) and the personal item smaller than that. You may have weight limitations as well. Every airline can be different.

We are flying American to MIA. We are taking 2 carry ons. My wife is taking extra large bag. Will my backpack be counted as a bag or extra luggage.

How big is extra large? You may end up having to check it. :(

On a side note--don't forget that liquids, gels, creams, etc. must be in a container that is 3.4 oz or less. All containers must be placed in a quart sized Ziplock bag (each person can have 1 ziploc). Have it out and ready to go when you go through security. I have witnessed so many people have to turn their items over because they were too big.

I never check bags anymore like ever. I use a backpack and a daybag and my backpack is a personal item and it goes in the over head compartment and ive never had a problem with it. But check the deminsions of your airline and see what they allow as well.

Adri :)

A few days ago as we were flying in to meet our upcoming cruise, we saw the airline staff tell two passengers at the gate that their bags were too large to count as carry-ons. They had to check them and consequently pay the fee for them. Seems more and more people are pushing the boundaries and all of us as passengers pay. The overhead bins were absolutely stuffed to the gills with luggage and it hardly seems fair that paying customers can't get a space for their item in the overhead bin.

(sorry - vent over)

As suggested, please contact your airline's website and see the specific size and weight allowed; measure your extra large bag, just to be sure.

We are flying American to MIA. We are taking 2 carry ons. My wife is taking extra large bag. Will my backpack be counted as a bag or extra luggage.

My husband takes a backpack & CPAP (personal item). The backpack is counted as a carryon.

I take a huge purse and either a backpack or small wheeled suitcase. The airline has always counted the backpack (or the small wheeled) as a carryon since the size fits in the regulation for carryon.

You get a carryon and a personal item. My personal item is always a backpack. EM

On many airlines the 'personal item' is spelled out as laptop, CPAP, cane, etc. So on a lot of airlines a carryon plus a backpack would be TWO carryon items and would NOT be allowed. That is why I always check with an airline to find out what their policy is.

I have traveled all over with a school bag sized backpack and a rolling carry on.

My soft sided travel purse is in my suitcase for use later, with everything I need short term in my backpack or my pants pockets (I wear cargo pants). Never had a problem putting the backpack under the seat in front of me.

My rolling carry on goes in the overhead bin.

One personal item and one carry on.

And here's a funny story about too many items. I was going through security in West Palm Beach. At security pax were being limited to 2 items. I had my rolling bag, my back pack and a purse. I was told to pack the purse. So I pulled out of my backpack my jacket and sweater that I was going to wear up north and put my purse in their place. Now I got through security just fine....only two carry items but a bulky jacket and sweater draped over my arm....does this really make any sense :(

Be sure you know the policy of your air carrier, especially if you're flying internationally. They all have differing dimensions/weights and some are more strict than others about enforcing such.

Robin

From the blog I kept for my kids when we did our New Zealand/Australia cruise in 2008. We flew from LAX to Auckland on Qantas. Their policy (straight from their web site):

Carry-on baggage should be kept as light as possible as there are considerable distances to walk upon arrival or departure at some airports. However you should carry fragile and valuable items, such as electronic equipment (including laptops, mobile phones), cameras, cash, keys and jewellery etc. in your carry-on baggage.

You should also take any essential medication and prescriptions on board with you.

Personal articles such as an overcoat, handbag, umbrella, walking stick, small camera, duty free items and some reading matter for the flight may be carried in the cabin.

All of this plus my iPod, noise-cancelling headphones, book, crossword puzzle book and pencil, kleenex, chapstick, and eyedrops must fit in one 1 x 115cm (45in) bag, weighing no more than 7kg (15lb). My bag, which is small, not 45 inches, weighs 6.5 pounds EMPTY. And this does NOT include my CPAP. On American carriers, CPAP machines are considered medical devices and are 'free'--they do not count as a carry on. (They're covered, interestingly enough, under the 'Americans with Disabilities Act'. Not so on Qantas.

So I will board the plane at LAX wearing my hoodie, coat, my camera around my neck, my iPod in my pocket, my kleenex, chapstick, book, and eyedrops in my other pocket, noise-cancelling headphones around my neck. It all still goes on the plane, only I look even more like a Teletubbie than I usually do. Then I have to take the time to take it all off and stow it once on board! Wouldn't it be faster/easier to just let me carry it on IN MY CASE???? (My case will be full of CPAP, two pair of underwear, medications, and my makeup. (I've had makeup destroyed in checked bags.) I have got to learn to pack lighter!

True story: Friends were flying home from New Zealand in June. They had done their best to weigh their luggage with a home scale, but it was very inaccurate, and they figured they were over. When the gate agent stopped them and weighed their bags as they were boarding, they were WAAAAAAAAAAAAY over. So she told them to take the heaviest stuff out and just hold it while they boarded. They did. Their bags were still overweight, but the gal allowed them to board, holding the all the stuff in their arms! What an absurd policy!!!

Do some of the US airlines count CPAP's as the personal item? I seem to be reading that in this thread. I have always thought it was considered a medical device and exempt from counting as your personal item. They just put a sticker reading "medical

device" on mine in the past.

True story: Friends were flying home from New Zealand in June. They had done their best to weigh their luggage with a home scale, but it was very inaccurate, and they figured they were over. When the gate agent stopped them and weighed their bags as they were boarding, they were WAAAAAAAAAAAAY over. So she told them to take the heaviest stuff out and just hold it while they boarded. They did. Their bags were still overweight, but the gal allowed them to board, holding the all the stuff in their arms! What an absurd policy!!!

It is not the weight on the plane per se but the weight of an individual bag which baggage handlers can handle. If too heavy, there are all sorts of union restrictions.

Be sure you know the policy of your air carrier, especially if you're flying internationally. They all have differing dimensions/weights and some are more strict than others about enforcing such.

We flew home from Gatwick (London) in 2007 and had a major problem with our carryons. Be warned if you do fly internationally to check the airline and/or airport's policy. Gatwick only allows ONE carry on PERIOD. No additional personal items allowed (i.e. purses or laptops). And it must fit into a special cage to check the dimensions. You also cannot carry anything in your arms. We were trying to carry our neck pillows and it was not allowed. It was a miserable experience as we tried to put everything in the backpack but when we did, the backpack would not fit into the cage :mad: - a frame that checks the dimensions. For our upcoming trip we are planning accordingly and for the return flight home, again out of Gatwick, we will check our larger carryon as baggage to avoid a repeat experience.

diane

I understand Heathrow is not much different. We do our darndest never to have to fly through LHW on the way TO our destination.

On a future trip we have no choice to fly through there but it is, fortunately, on our way home. We will check everything except my backpack and my husband's camera bag.

schoolinmy3, wonder if you could answer a question...I know you said one couldn't carry anything but can we wear jackets and/or sweaters? Taking them off later, of course.

We flew home from Gatwick (London) in 2007 and had a major problem with our carryons. Be warned if you do fly internationally to check the airline and/or airport's policy. Gatwick only allows ONE carry on PERIOD. No additional personal items allowed (i.e. purses or laptops). And it must fit into a special cage to check the dimensions. You also cannot carry anything in your arms. We were trying to carry our neck pillows and it was not allowed. It was a miserable experience as we tried to put everything in the backpack but when we did, the backpack would not fit into the cage :mad: - a frame that checks the dimensions. For our upcoming trip we are planning accordingly and for the return flight home, again out of Gatwick, we will check our larger carryon as baggage to avoid a repeat experience.

diane

What airline where you traveling on? Was there a recent event that caused such restrictions? We travelling internationally in 2007 as well, flew from Rome and Paris with no such problems on Air France.

We were in Paris when the restrictions were imposed on liquids and had to totally change how we packed coming home. So do agree it is best to plan ahead.

It does help to plan ahead, and to be flexible because there are things you simply can't plan for.

My aunt was in London when the shoe bomber incident happened; when they got to Heathrow the next day all the rules had changed. Nothing was allowed to be carried onto the plane other than a wallet and medications. The really absurd part was that the airline (I think it was Virgin Atlantic, but I'm not positive) charged them for checking the bags they had intended to carry one, as if it was their fault. They were already on the trip, it wasn't as though they had the option of leaving some of their stuff home.

I understand Heathrow is not much different. We do our darndest never to have to fly through LHW on the way TO our destination.

On a future trip we have no choice to fly through there but it is, fortunately, on our way home. We will check everything except my backpack and my husband's camera bag.

schoolinmy3, wonder if you could answer a question...I know you said one couldn't carry anything but can we wear jackets and/or sweaters? Taking them off later, of course.

This is taken from Gatwick's website. Notice only ONE hand baggage is allowed, unlike US airports:

"Our general advice is to carry the very minimum of hand baggage, and to make sure you arrive early at the airport and allow plenty of time for security screening.

There are also some strict rules that you must follow – and which are explained in our downloadable security leaflet (PDF format).

Briefly, these rules can be summarised as:

• you are allowed just one piece of hand luggage* and this must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. There are handy size gauges at check-in and departure gates"

It does mention coats further down the page:

"To pass through security, you should also take your laptop, and any other big electrical items, out of your hand baggage, take your coat off, and be prepared to remove your shoes and belt if you are asked. All these items will be screened separately, as is explained in our check-in pages."

Notice that purses, laptop bags and so forth would be your ONE piece of handbag. I emphasize this because it is something we were not aware of and was a big stressor at the time!

diane

What airline where you traveling on? Was there a recent event that caused such restrictions? We travelling internationally in 2007 as well, flew from Rome and Paris with no such problems on Air France.

We were in Paris when the restrictions were imposed on liquids and had to totally change how we packed coming home. So do agree it is best to plan ahead.

I don't believe anything out of the ordinary had occurred in 2007. It appears from Gatwick's website that they just have stricter regulations there (and it sounds like Heathrow) than in the US and perhaps even other airports in Europe. We stood in line initially for 45 minutes to check our luggage and to check our passports. They even had an issue with my husband's passport (an edge was chewed) and were quite annoyed that our children had not signed theirs. We saw a lady throwing a fit because her bag was too large. She was quite distraught. We didn't really understand why we had to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time until we saw the lines, multiple lines, you had to wait in.

diane

The last time we flew to the USA from UK, we had to be there 3hrs in advance because of the extra security checks demanded from the US- we were checked by computer 1st as we waited in the check-in line. It's 2 hours for short flights to Europe etc, but I believe it's still 3hrs for the USA.

Jo.

I think this was an airline policy, not an airport policy, we flew premium econ on ANZ into LHR & business on BA out of LHR , no problem with both DH & I having a backpack & carry on each.

I should add that ANZ weighs your carry on, I kid you not, can't remember the limit, but it's not much...think lots of airlines may follow.

Archived