FOS -Need help! Royal Family Suite or Grand Suite w.adj room

:confused:

Wondering which option will be best for our family of 5....

We will be sailing in August for the first time as a family. Kids ages 14,11,8. We are deciding beween a Royal Family Suite (9708): 2 BR, 2bath, larger balcony, back of the ship...??? Curious about "obstructed" views.

OR a Grand suite (1286) with an adjoining superior oceanview stateroom (1288). Interested in the concierge perks and are wondering if all members of the party would benefit or if we would experience a problem since some of our party will be staying in a oceanview room as opposed to a suite.

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated!

The kids can't go in the CL during happy hour. They can go in at other times (like breakfast) with you. In the past I have gotten ice show tickets and tender tickets for my children with no problem.

stayed in a grand suite last year; we had 15 in our group; concierge was able to get ice tickets and shore excursions for entire group; a nice perk. I just booked an os with three inside cabins across the hall; my wife and I will be taking our kids and grandkids; I love them but want my own privacy; hence the os; we can use it as a staging area; however the kids will be staying across the hall

Those that are not in a suite would not have access to the Concierge Louge. However, the VIP seating for the theater did not prevent new friends (non-suite holders) of my kids from not sitting with us - as long as I was present at least.

The only "monetary" value of the CL is the "cocktail hour" where some drinks are avail. for the adults....the other things are so easily done on your own....tickets, etc...

The "obstruction" is that the aft balconies on Freedom class ship don't have railings at the edge of the ship...there is a bit of superstructure to look past, but you will still have a wide open, fabulous view of the wake and a huge balcony!

debates2-

Thanks for your input. Do you know if they would deny access to the concierge lounge since it would be our minor children occupying the non-suite room?? It may just be up to the concierge staff at the time--just don't want a hassle..

You also have to consider pool seating and tendering in addition to the shows. May be difficult to have non suite guests using those perks. Also if going to Labadee, the non suite guests could not use the suite only beach. I'd go with the RFS.

We have stayed in RFS #9708..This cabin and huge balcony are awesome.... no obstructed view(and anyone that says there is hasn't sailed in this suite) ..don't pass up the chance.We usually book this a year in advance..This is our favorite family suite..We love the GS when there are just the two of us but when our kids sail with us this is the way to go...

debates2-

Thanks for your input. Do you know if they would deny access to the concierge lounge since it would be our minor children occupying the non-suite room?? It may just be up to the concierge staff at the time--just don't want a hassle..

All I can tell you about this is what happened to me recently. I am Diamond and was traveling with a friend who is not(we shared the same cabin). The concierge would not let her in the diamond lounge even though I told him that she was in my cabin. So I guess people in the non-suite room would be treated the same.

I called and asked this exact question. Of course I didn't get it in writing...but was told that my minor children in the connecting room would be allowed all suite perks. GS connecting to D1. Hope it's true, I still have plenty of time to change if not! BTW, what was the price difference between the FRS and GS+D1?

:confused:

Wondering which option will be best for our family of 5....

We will be sailing in August for the first time as a family. Kids ages 14,11,8. We are deciding beween a Royal Family Suite (9708): 2 BR, 2bath, larger balcony, back of the ship...??? Curious about "obstructed" views.

OR a Grand suite (1286) with an adjoining superior oceanview stateroom (1288). Interested in the concierge perks and are wondering if all members of the party would benefit or if we would experience a problem since some of our party will be staying in a oceanview room as opposed to a suite.

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated!

I was in the RFS on the Freedom of the Seas in June 2007. Everyone in the suite can go into the concierge lounge except during the time the free alcoholic drinks are being served. However, there is not much there. Just an area to sit down, a table with food and a desk for the concierge. The concierge on our cruise was worthless.

Here are some pictures of the suite ...

8714RFS.jpg

The inside (smaller) bathroom ...

2ndBdrmbath.jpg

2ndBdrmshower.jpg

The inside bedroom (you'll have to supply your own kids) ...

2ndbedrm-MS.jpg

The desk in the inside bedroom ...

2ndbedrmdesk.jpg

The view ...

1scgi-IMG_7478.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Viewaft.jpg

The hallway ...

from the entry door ...

Hallfromdoor.jpg

looking toward the entry door ...

Halltowarddoor.jpg

Here is a link to my review ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30442

Hmmm..While your pictures are nice, our RFS #9708 on the INDY looked a little nicer...on the balcony we had a table and 6 chairs, 4 chaise lounges and 2 small tables..loved the large table on the balcony for roomservice breakfast..Maybe it's just the INDY is newer that the cabin looked better !!!;)

I called and asked this exact question. Of course I didn't get it in writing...but was told that my minor children in the connecting room would be allowed all suite perks. GS connecting to D1. Hope it's true, I still have plenty of time to change if not! BTW, what was the price difference between the FRS and GS+D1?

It was almost a wash with the GS D1 adjoining room about 75.00 more.

We have stayed next door to the RFS and the balcony area is amazing. Great place to unwind or to have a nice breakfast.

amazing pics--thanks for posting-helped us decide to go with the RFS--to any of you who have done the same--is privacy an issue and how is that LONG walk back to hte cabin??

If I recall they gave me a separate access key for the Concierge Loungs last summer on the Enchantment. My boys went back and forth to the CL with my key and were never questioned. I would suspect that would be the same for your party that used the key that were in the non-suite rooms. I would introduce your party to the Concierge on day# 1 and you probably woulnd't have any issues with them accessing the CL.

Seriously, Cuizer, do you think that those tiny black lines somehow disguise the children???? (or was that their mother's misguided idea?) ;)

Do you recognize any of them?

Another idea from an avid RCCL cruiser with similarly aged kids (14,10,8) who has been on the Freedom and has been in Navigator's RFS.....Consider a Courtyard Villa on Norwegian's new ships. Sleeps 5 easily. There are many opinions/threads regarding which line is better.....for our family the RCCL Ships are much more fun with lots to do. However, NCL's Suite Service blows away anything on RCCL. The varied dining options are more fun. So it kind of depends upon what you are looking for.

P.S. Our next 2 cruises are on Oasis and Norwegian Epic

• 10 months later...
Hmmm..While your pictures are nice, our RFS #9708 on the INDY looked a little nicer...on the balcony we had a table and 6 chairs, 4 chaise lounges and 2 small tables..loved the large table on the balcony for roomservice breakfast..Maybe it's just the INDY is newer that the cabin looked better !!!;)

You are quite right....I have also been a bit :confused: from pix I have seen of the Freedom class RFS.....however it appears that they made a change when they built IOS and dressed the RFS up much nicer to look like a true suite....here are some pix I have found of the RFS on IOS....you can clearly see the difference....MUCH MUCH nicer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/swisscruiser/FS8414IndependenceOfTheSeas#5341279318134627842

Archived