Anyone ever do laundry off ship?

macdaman

First time cruisers. On one hand, we read that we should pack light. On the other, there is no self serve laundry on Celebrity ships. DW wants to know if it's worth trying to do some laundry at one of the ports. She figures that there will be at least one port where we just walk around town anyway.

What have others done here? Just pay the per piece price for the ship provided laundry? Wash a few things in the sink? :D

Without knowing your ports, it's almost impossible to answer this. A few people have asked in earlier threads about how easy it is to find laundomats in ports, and the general consensus is, it isn't all that easy to find them near where the ship docks, you probably won't have local currency for coin operated machines, and it's probably a lot more hassle than it's worth, so yes, people do send laundry out to be done on the ship, and many do rinse things in the sink. Another option is to bring some clothes that you don't intend to carry back home and just discard them after wearing.

We always do some stuff in the sink.There is a clothesline in the shower.Now that we are Elite we get our laundry done halfway through the trip.Huge perk!We are learning to pack less and are down to one bag each and 2 carryons.

First time cruisers. On one hand, we read that we should pack light. On the other, there is no self serve laundry on Celebrity ships. DW wants to know if it's worth trying to do some laundry at one of the ports. She figures that there will be at least one port where we just walk around town anyway.

What have others done here? Just pay the per piece price for the ship provided laundry? Wash a few things in the sink? :D

As much as I dislike paying the way too high charges for laundry on the ship, there's no way I would carry a bag of dirty clothes off ship and waste time looking for a self serve laundry and waiting until it's done.. I'd much rather enjoy the port and the vacation.

We do wash some small items by hand, and send to the ship's laundry other items we need washed.

We have done it a couple of times on b2b's or b2b2b's when you just can't take clean clothes to last 4 - 6 weeks. We have 'done it' in Barcelona, Civitavecchia and St Thomas (all ports we visited at least twice, and sometimes thrice, durin one holiday). We found the laudromat in St Juan, PR too, but it was closed due to water shortage! Actually, its a great way to meet the locals. In St Thomas, the laundromat had 35 washers and 42 dryers...it was a big place!, and we had a great time talking to the locals, even though it was a bit odd being the only white people there (and I'm not being racist in saying that). The people couldn't have been more helpful and there was a real party atmosphere as this was Xmas Eve! We found out so much more about how the locals live than on any tour. For instance, they have to buy water by the ton when their cistern at the house runs out, so thats why so many use the laundromat as the water is incredibly expensive. One lady was doing all her washing, then she takes it home to use her spin dryer.

Simon

we were on a repositioning cruise Alaska to Los Angeles.

In Victoria we rented a car, they picked us up at the pier.

After seeing Buchart Gardens, one stop we made was a laundromat.

We've done the wash in the sink for a few items, and would probably only do a laundromat if we had a car (wouldn't lug the laundry around).

I also had directions printed out before we ever left home, so I didn't have to worry about where to find one.

If you're cruising to Alaska, there's a combo gas station/little grocery store/laundromat in Skagway at the corner of State & 2nd, an easy walk from the dock.

Bon Voyage

Betsy

When we travel for over three or four weeks a wash and fold service is our 'trick" to both getting it done and still having the whole day to ourselves.

It often only cost a few bucks more than doing it yourself and is many many dollars cheaper than shipboard service.

We tend to be very light packers. I take a 21 roller whether I am going for a week of business or a five week land trip overseas. We always use laudromats when we are on land tours but have never done so on a ship. Actually, we have met some very interesting fellow travellers in laudromats in all sorts of out of the way places. But, our longest cruise has only been 10 days. On board, we either do a little by hand or send it to the laundry. I would not want to have the time or location restrictions of a laudromat whilst on a port day. But that is just us. We have pretty well decided not to attend any more formal nights in the MDR. Our cruises are often book ended by land tours and we have no desire to carry around jackets, ties, shoes, etc. that may only be used for one or two nights.

Being 1st cruisers, I'd recommend you focus on enjoying the ports and having fun.....personal opinion.

We wash out the swimsuits, socks and undies. And usually that is more than enough to take care of a normal cruise. I think we are confusing the OP with the 'pack light' and then not having self-laundering on the ship. When you see the 'pack light', it really doesn't mean to not carry enough for the cruise...it means our experience is we Over pack and we are suggesting you don't plan on a morning workout outfit, daytime shorts/port clothes, evening casual and nighties for every day, plus the 2 formal nights. It means things go a long way on a cruise - at least for me. I take extra underwear and socks and stuff such as that. Take a few nice pants and a few shorts and tops, and make sure most can be mix/matched. One color combo for the cruise.

I have bought these zippered pants that are shorts, pants and have a built-in for swimming even. I take a few of those - and they are a nylon mix (Columbia is the Big Name Brand and I buy ripoffs!) which are cool, and wash/dry very easily.

If this is a 7 or 10-day cruise, you should be able to pack quite well - lightly - without worrying about doing much laundry. We usually cruise with one check-in suitcase and two rollons. And if you do need a launddry, the ship's rates equal what I pay at home and cheaper than a hotel rate - it just looks high because it lists socks, undies and t-shirts that most of us don't have done.

So, pack lightely (meaning you Will overpack and not use all your outfits) and mix/match a lot; washout the easy stuff (socks, undies) and launder a few shirts/blouses pants/skirts if needed, and probably not. And don't take the time in a port you paid big money to go to going in and out of a laundromat. And of course, I say the same thing about saving a few bucks going to an internet cafe....to me, boooooring.

have a great cruise.

Denny

We usually have the ship ;aimdry some underwear and a few pairs of socks - does not cost all that much when you consider how much the cruise costs (and the martini bar!). I don't think we have ever paid more that $20 total. Enjoy your cruise and leave the laundry to others.

We never do laundry in ports; we never do laundry on the ship in their machines; we always send it out with our steward. The cost is only another part of the fare, to us. I do laundry at home and that's quite enough for me.

Being 1st cruisers, I'd recommend you focus on enjoying the ports and having fun.....personal opinion.

We wash out the swimsuits, socks and undies. And usually that is more than enough to take care of a normal cruise. I think we are confusing the OP with the 'pack light' and then not having self-laundering on the ship. When you see the 'pack light', it really doesn't mean to not carry enough for the cruise...it means our experience is we Over pack and we are suggesting you don't plan on a morning workout outfit, daytime shorts/port clothes, evening casual and nighties for every day, plus the 2 formal nights. It means things go a long way on a cruise - at least for me. I take extra underwear and socks and stuff such as that. Take a few nice pants and a few shorts and tops, and make sure most can be mix/matched. One color combo for the cruise.

I have bought these zippered pants that are shorts, pants and have a built-in for swimming even. I take a few of those - and they are a nylon mix (Columbia is the Big Name Brand and I buy ripoffs!) which are cool, and wash/dry very easily.

If this is a 7 or 10-day cruise, you should be able to pack quite well - lightly - without worrying about doing much laundry. We usually cruise with one check-in suitcase and two rollons. And if you do need a launddry, the ship's rates equal what I pay at home and cheaper than a hotel rate - it just looks high because it lists socks, undies and t-shirts that most of us don't have done.

So, pack lightely (meaning you Will overpack and not use all your outfits) and mix/match a lot; washout the easy stuff (socks, undies) and launder a few shirts/blouses pants/skirts if needed, and probably not. And don't take the time in a port you paid big money to go to going in and out of a laundromat. And of course, I say the same thing about saving a few bucks going to an internet cafe....to me, boooooring.

have a great cruise.

Denny

Excellent advice...and most important don't waste time at a laundromat...you ARE on vacation!!!

Goodness NO! I do not come on vacation to do laundry!!! They always seem to have a special sometime during the week for a bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) for $20 and they will give you a paper bag. First, ask for a cloth laundry bag, then if you roll up your things really tight you will be amazed how much you can get in that bag! Underwear, socks, sleepwear, tee shirts and things of that ilk!

We always have a fair amount of laundry done and take things home clean, it is a joy to brings them home and hang them in the closet clean! No having to haul them off to the cleaners before I can put them away.

We pack knowing that we can repeat pieces. For an Alaskan cruise as mentioned, you can rotate layers easily. We will rinse things out if necessary and use the ships laundry service to do a couple tops or pants that have been worn more than two -three times. I think first timers feel the need to look different every day, thus the over packing. Don't use your short vacation to stare at a washer and drier. ;)

Nope, would never consider doing this on a cruise. If doing my own laundry was a cost consideration that I couldn't get around, then I would choose a line that had a self service laundry on board.

On our last b-2-b on the Millennium, the Hotel Director gave all the b-2-b passengers a certificate for some free laundry/dry cleaning. It was a very nice gesture, much appreciated. I hope Celebrity will continue to make that a regular practice for their b-2-b passengers.

I agree that on longer cruises the previously mentioned offer of a bag full of laundry washed and folded for $20 is certainly worthwhile and beats wasting precious vacation time trying to do the laundry yourself.

I've washed things in the sink before. It's easy. Just fill up a tiny bottle with some liquid detergent before you leave. Bring a small clothesline and clothespins that you can hook up somewhere in your room. It doesn't work well, however, if you need something ironed. I'll usually only wash workout clothes and swimwear that doesn't really matter if it is wrinkled.

Packing light isn't as hard as it sounds. For women, dresses and even formal dresses can be very compressible. For men, one dark suit that you can plan on wearing for both formal nights. Two dress shirts - one white and maybe one blue, since a dress shirt isn't really suitable for rewearing multiple times without washing. Two ties so you look a little different on each night as well. One pair of khakis, one pair of jeans, one pair of cargo shorts. A few casual shirts that can be interchanged with any pant.

I've never tried to do laundry outside the ship. But it's your vacation and your right to do if you so desire, don't let anyone else try to tell you otherwise! I pack light and worst case scenario, I might have to pay a few bucks to get something washed.

Enjoy your first cruise!

We have a B2B planned in September, and fortunately the 2nd part is on the Carnival Freedom. Once our luggage is delivered to the stateroom, this couple will head straight to the nice laundry room down the hall and spend an hour doing a load of tees, gym clothes, undies, shorts etc. Will probably have a drink in hand while doing so, won't feel like we've "missed any vacation time" and will have a fresh start to week #2! :)

Anyone ever do laundry off ship?

I'm doing some right now:p

seriously, save your change every day in a bucket till you cruise, then pay to have your laundry done on board, it's well worth it, & when they have the stuff the laundry bag challenge, roll all your stuff as tight as you can, you'd be amazed at what you can get in there.

Archived