What do you think is the main role of a CD

bigboy1955

I think the role of a CD is to bring the cruisers together - feel like they are all in for the same adventure/experience. Example - on one cruise our CD during the opening show picked on a couple who had been together for a long time but not married. Every time we saw this guy we were to say "I love you, Mary.....etc" It was great fun and on the last night they gave him a diamond to give to her.

A good CD will set the tone for the week in his opening gig the first night. On our last cruise the CD was Jorge Salarno - he was absolutely hysterical and had us laughing night after night.

I do think a good CD can enhance the cruise experience. If someone says they didn't have a clue who their CD was, then they were not doing their job properly.

Newbie here

I see alot of posts re: cruise directors

It would be interesting to have people sound off on the CD role??

thanks

The CDs role is to keep those in need of entertainment entertained and to keep those in need of information informed. As I usually need little of either, I have little use for the CD.

The CD is an administrator with responsibility for the entertainment program of thje ship.

Secondarily, he is the face of the ship to the public.

In that second regard, we have found most CDs to be cookie cutter carbon copies of each other with the same stories and jokes.

The CDs role is to keep those in need of entertainment entertained and to keep those in need of information informed. As I usually need little of either, I have little use for the CD.

Well said Cat, agree 100%. We did like the Naturalists (not to be confused with CD) aboard for Alaska and Panama C.

Well said Cat, agree 100%. We did like the Naturalists (not to be confused with CD) aboard for Alaska and Panama C.

I'd be interested in that or a local history talk. But I guess that's what they sell excursions for.

Ditto! I'm always amazed at how many people are so concerned about who the CD will be on their ship and act like they're his/her best friend. I've never seen the CD on my ships nor felt any need to meet them. :rolleyes:

I wonder if those that feel no need for a Cruise Director ever appreciate ANY of the entertainment on the ship. Do you listen to any of the music, participate in or watch any activities, appreciate the good value of cruising in general (he works within the budget to keep costs low)? These are all aspects of the CD's job.

I believe the CD is the voice of the staff and the public relations official for the people. I've watched them make people laugh, handled life threatening emergencies, and do the same repetitious details of the job week after week without letting us know they are bored with their job. A good CD is worth a bundle.

Not everyone is a repeat cruiser and a good CD may make the difference if you return.

I want to be entertained by the CD. Something that I think Todd Whitmer? needs lessons on. Had him on the Dream this past April and I think he is terrible. IMHO
I think it really ends up being subjective - we sailed with Todd twice and really liked him a lot. Earlier in this thread there's a post from elaineb about Jorge Solano being a great CD - but on another thread you'll find someone who was thinking about canceling a cruise because Jorge is scheduled to be the CD! Like the car disclaimer says - your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't book a cruise for a CD, likewise I wouldn't not cruise because of a CD. I expect a CD to plan good activities, make sure the folks under him/her are hosting activities on time (have you ever sat around waiting for a social host to arrive for an activity?) and give a sense of "camaraderie" to a cruise. I don't mind announcements during the day - I understand they're supposed to encourage people to patronize the shops, bingo, etc. - but my ideal is when the CD has a morning announcement (before whatever the morning talk is - shopping, excursions, debarkation), an afternoon announcement for afternoon activities, and an announcement in the evening. That's it - not an announcement every hour or two.

Next time try the capt's party. The usually have nothing to do and stand around looking very bored.

I think the CD goes to the captain's party to hold him up. The captain's usually trashed before he even gets there..

I want to be entertained by the CD. Something that I think Todd Whitmer? needs lessons on. Had him on the Dream this past April and I think he is terrible. IMHO

We were on the 5-1-10 sailing of the Dream and we never saw him...if we did, we didn't know who he was :o

I wonder if those that feel no need for a Cruise Director ever appreciate ANY of the entertainment on the ship. Do you listen to any of the music, participate in or watch any activities, appreciate the good value of cruising in general (he works within the budget to keep costs low)?

Yes, actually, I have both beheld and participated in a lot of the entertainment. I also "get" that some people need to have scheduled activities and shows to occupy their time and some people simply don't. And while I don't discount the hard work of the CD, I find them something of a throwback to the old cabin getaway camps in the Catskills where people go to adult summer camp and learn to tango, see comedians and magicians, play charades, and do arts and crafts. Works for some, not for others.

I also wish some CD would get innovative and offer activities that aren't either too staid or too campy. Dodgeball, anyone?

Yes, actually, I have both beheld and participated in a lot of the entertainment. I also "get" that some people need to have scheduled activities and shows to occupy their time and some people simply don't. And while I don't discount the hard work of the CD, I find them something of a throwback to the old cabin getaway camps in the Catskills where people go to adult summer camp and learn to tango, see comedians and magicians, play charades, and do arts and crafts. Works for some, not for others.

I also wish some CD would get innovative and offer activities that aren't either too staid or too campy. Dodgeball, anyone?

Dodgeball on a ship would be interesting. I have not cruised yet, but I do know how to occupy my time by myself. I do plan on getting to know several bartenders very well though.:D

We were on the 5-1-10 sailing of the Dream and we never saw him...if we did, we didn't know who he was :o

The first time I seen him I busted out laughing. His hair is BLEACH BLOND. It looks horrible. IMHO. If he thinks he looks good he must be crazy but that is just me.

Archived