I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

My sister's birthday gift was a trip to Disneyland for the first time in 40+ years and lunch at Club 33. A great day! The photo theme was Shapes and Colors.

Star Tours shuttle

p92159246-5.jpg

A planter in good light

p95130113-5.jpg

Trying to get one for the living room...

p740977722-5.jpg

Ready for lunch

p821278167-5.jpg

Lunch

p629154073-5.jpg

Later that night...

p532234652-5.jpg

THe rest of them are HERE: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/disney201311

Dave

This past weekend, some very nice light out in the wetlands for a little birding:

Great blue heron closeup:

original.jpg

Cattle egret landing:

original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk up in a tree:

original.jpg

Northern harrier looking for prey:

original.jpg

Pretty little kestrel (a small hawk) in a tree:

original.jpg

Pretty little kestrel (a small hawk) in a tree:

original.jpg

Hi Zackie,

Your kestrels have far more colour than our birds over here. Do your species also hover whilst looking for their prey?Kestrel_JGS5317h_zps584d034c.jpg

This bird was hovering at the edge of our garden, I was extremely lucky to snap several shots before it decided to search elsewhere.

Thanks Glojo - some of our hawks are prone to hovering over a spot before descending - though the kestrels do not seem to do this very often. The kestrels will launch out at full speed, fly low, turn with astounding precision, and usually go after fat dragonflies for food - they grab them midair, and head back to a tree to eat. Harriers, red-shouldered hawks, and merlins will more often hover over a spot...while Cooper's hawks tend to buzz through the trees at high speed and go after moving targets like small birds.

Here's a shot of the kestrel at full speed on a dragonfly strafing run:

original.jpg

And here's the northern harrier pulling a hover over the reeds, looking down for some possible little meals:

original.jpg

Thanks Zack and our kestrel is just about one of our smallest birds of prey and their method of hunting is really impressive as they tend to hover above a likely spot and just wait for the prey to appear.

The most common place folk will see them is hovering above the verges of our motorways which I guess you folks call a freeway.

This link should take you to a BBC site that highlights an extract from one of the many documentaries that are broadcast.

Try clicking on slow motion secrets. I hope you like it :)

• 2 weeks later...

You never cease to amaze me with all of your wonderful photography and images.

The great subjects, (willing or not!), those lucky 'captured the moment" shots (TheRoff, that one is incredible), and all the nature photos always delight me. I come back every so often just to see what's new and I am never disappointed.

Thank you all. :)

Yesterday, on a way to a Transatlantic cruise, we connected through London Heathrow and saw the good old Concorde.

image-8.jpg

Is the Concord on display there? I saw a Concord one day several years ago at DTW and was surprised how smaller than life it was. For some reason I envisioned that it would be a lot larger. :eek:

Is the Concord on display there? I saw a Concord one day several years ago at DTW and was surprised how smaller than life it was. For some reason I envisioned that it would be a lot larger. :eek:
If it is not open to the public then for us UK residents, they might consider a visit to the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovil. They have had one there for decades. I was also amazed at how small the interior was. Quite claustrophobic and like being in a very narrow tube with just enough 'wiggle' room to walk down the very narrow walkway to get to the toilets!

5d.jpg

If it is not open to the public then for us UK residents, they might consider a visit to the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovil. They have had one there for decades. I was also amazed at how small the interior was. Quite claustrophobic and like being in a very narrow tube with just enough 'wiggle' room to walk down the very narrow walkway to get to the toilets!

5d.jpg

It is quite small inside. Seats -- like sitting in a Jaguar. Only allowed a very small carry-on weighing no more than 11 pounds.

• 2 weeks later...