Paying at ports of call

tnthudson

Hello again everyone,

We cruise in a couple of weeks! :D

I just thought of another question today...when we get to our ports of call (in this case HMC, GT and Freeport) will they take Visa credit and/or debit cards? Or is it best to use travelers checks or cash? Or any other ideas?

thanks!

Hello again everyone,

We cruise in a couple of weeks! :D

I just thought of another question today...when we get to our ports of call (in this case HMC, GT and Freeport) will they take Visa credit and/or debit cards? Or is it best to use travelers checks or cash? Or any other ideas?

thanks!

take small bills- many vendors will say they dont have change for say a 20.00 bill.

I would not use a CC in the ports because I hear too many stories about store people stealing numbers. I just dont need that headache a few months after my vacation.

Plus using a debit card could accrue international charges.

make sure you let you bank know you will be out and about during your time--

The only place where we had problems with someone using our credit card number to make purchases was in Mexico. I would never use a debit card in a foreign country because I would be afraid that someone would empty my checking account.

Cash for small purchases and credit cards for larger ones.

If it's a real "brick and mortar" store, they will almost always accept credit cards. Many "straw market" street vendors won't...so bring cash for that.....U.S. dollars are fine....but do try to have smaller bills....don't attempt to buy a $3 item with a $100 bill!

Do call your credit card companies and tell them you'll be out of the country. You don't want them to see "different" activity on your account, and have them suspend your charging priveleges!--They will sometimes do that if they see unusual activity!

Most stores, restaurants will take credit cards, except Discover which is only used in the US.

dont know about the ports OP is going to but we have used discover in mexico i believe...

this is from Discovers site:

You can use your Discover Card when you travel abroad in Canada, Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean, and China.

Discover isn't a very reliable one out of the country. There are very very few places here in Canada that accept it. I once wanted a Discover card that had travel rewards cause I liked the program, however when I checked around at the stores I shop at, no one accepted it. :(

Archived