First time Jr Suite on any ship - advice pls

We booked a Jr Suite on the transatlantic sailing of the Mariner on Mar 13. Though I have cruised over 50 times, this will be my first suite. On this 14 night crossing a GS is $500 pp more than the JS and the square footage is not that different (299 vs 365 with a similar ratio for balcony size).

I chose 1336 because it is adjacent to a midship OS so I figured it is optimal in that category.

Have I overlooked anything? When we board would it be worthwhile to see how much an upgrade to a GS will cost. I might be willing to pay something less than 1000 for the extra luxury.

That's only $71 more a day, treat yourself and go for the Grand Suite. By the time of your sailing there won't be anything to upgrade to once you get on the ship. Do it now, upgrade !

Jimbo:)

Have a better idea, down grade and save $1460 and Book Cabin #1688, It's a Category D1 and the Cabin is as large as the JS but you are spending $1460 less then the JS. It' has an awesome view of the wake also with an over sized balcony too.

Don't take long to reserve this cabin, when others see this post and your sailing date they will grab it fast.

#1688 is available for your sailing.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Jimbo:)

If you can afford it $1000 for an upgrade from JS to a GS is pretty good

..... especially for 14 nights. You'll be spending more time than normal

in the room so I vote for an upgrade. Do it now because prices only

go up.

I think either your JS or GS would be fine. I have been in both. I agree with above thread. For 14 night crossing you want extra space. JS will be fine for this; however with a GS u have extra room to spread out; plus you have lots of storage space; and here's the catch; 14 days of concierge service. Conceirge's can make the trip so worthwhile. Think about it. Good luck.

We booked a Jr Suite on the transatlantic sailing of the Mariner on Mar 13. Though I have cruised over 50 times, this will be my first suite. On this 14 night crossing a GS is $500 pp more than the JS and the square footage is not that different (299 vs 365 with a similar ratio for balcony size).

I chose 1336 because it is adjacent to a midship OS so I figured it is optimal in that category.

Have I overlooked anything? When we board would it be worthwhile to see how much an upgrade to a GS will cost. I might be willing to pay something less than 1000 for the extra luxury.

The GS will give you access to the Concierge Lounge (I believe there is one on the Mariner). :)

As per another Poster's suggestion. I would gladly give up the JS to snap up D1 1688-- aft cabin with tons of room and big savings to boot.

I booked D-1 cabin 1688 for $2112 thereby paying $1660 less than the gross cost of a jr suite ($3772) and $2660 less than the gross cost of a GS ($4772). I suspect the differential appears to be 1660 rather than Jimbo's suggested savings of about 1460 because the original price quote for the suite did not take into account a 200 discount based upon my Platinum status in the C&S Society. Of course, the suites would have entitled me to more of an OBC from my TA ($200/300 more respectively), but the unique size of 1688, both inside and out on the balcony, seemed to be the better value especially since the Jr suite doesn't come with much in the way perks.

From past experience I am aware that there are a couple of "special" cabins on a lot of ships, but I was not aware of the specifics on the Mariner as it will be my first time aboard. A big thank you to Jimbo and the other CCers who counselled me about this selection. I will toast to your good health when I'm on board.

As a secondary matter, I am also entitled to the shareholder benefit which I believe is $250 on this 14 night cruise. I know they are not combine-able, but I have asked my TA to secure the better discount/benefit between the C&A and shareholder benefits.

I booked D-1 cabin 1688 for $2112 thereby paying $1660 less than the gross cost of a jr suite ($3772) and $2660 less than the gross cost of a GS ($4772). I suspect the differential appears to be 1660 rather than Jimbo's suggested savings of about 1460 because the original price quote for the suite did not take into account a 200 discount based upon my Platinum status in the C&S Society. Of course, the suites would have entitled me to more of an OBC from my TA ($200/300 more respectively), but the unique size of 1688, both inside and out on the balcony, seemed to be the better value especially since the Jr suite doesn't come with much in the way perks.

From past experience I am aware that there are a couple of "special" cabins on a lot of ships, but I was not aware of the specifics on the Mariner as it will be my first time aboard. A big thank you to Jimbo and the other CCers who counselled me about this selection. I will toast to your good health when I'm on board.

As a secondary matter, I am also entitled to the shareholder benefit which I believe is $250 on this 14 night cruise. I know they are not combine-able, but I have asked my TA to secure the better discount/benefit between the C&A and shareholder benefits.

Congratulations on your decision.

And thank you for sharing what is best about CC. There are so many "food fight" threads (and, yes, I am as guilty as anyone in getting sucked in :o ) and oft repeated threads, etc. But the best thing about CC is the info that we share with each other to help with plans and decisions to help give us the best vacation possible. :)

We were in JS 1544 on the Mariner.

It was perfectly fine.

Spend your money wisely, on drink, excursions etc. The amount of time spent in your cabin can't jsutify IMHO the additonal expense

You were sooo lucky to get 1688! That is a primo cabin for the regular D1 price! 1388 is its mirror cabin and balcony on all Voayger class ships. You don't get any perks at all with JS, so you have lost absolutely nothing and saved money to boot. Way to go!

You were sooo lucky to get 1688! That is a primo cabin for the regular D1 price! 1388 is its mirror cabin and balcony on all Voayger class ships. You don't get any perks at all with JS, so you have lost absolutely nothing and saved money to boot. Way to go!

Not totally accurate. There is the loss of a C&A cruise credit. JS still gets you 2 cruise credits (for total of 3 for longer cruise). :) But that credit would not be worth the $1600 appox that OP is saving on fare. ;)

Archived