Late Night Snacks on HAL

DeRon

[quote name='CtheW0rld']obesity is the #1 killer in america today. i think any food outside of mealtimes should be banned. it will cut down on my healthcare costs and save lives.[/quote]

Different people have different eating habits and what constitutes mealtime for you may not constitute mealtime for someone else.

Some people eat 5 -6 light meals through out the day and evening. Are you suggesting that they not be able to find something to eat on the ship just because you're accustomed to 3 meals a day?

[quote name='CtheW0rld']obesity is the #1 killer in america today. i think any food outside of mealtimes should be banned. it will cut down on my healthcare costs and save lives.[/quote]
So will quiting smoking. Nice of you to be so judgemental......

Maybe you're being sarcastic, but whatever.

Some countries have declared that obesity is now the #1 risk factor for death among their citizens, and smoking has "fallen" to #2. :rolleyes:

In the USA there remains considerable debate about which is #1, including a discussion in a recent issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

Regardless, they are both killers. And they both are continuing to put a strain on our already overburdened health care system. As a smoker you are in no position to point fingers. You are a walking health care time bomb.

Since the mods will probably delete this post, I can only assume at least one of them smokes. :D

[B]Joanie has been inquiring about having coffee available. All recent reports I have heard indicate coffee to be healthful, both decaf and regular. If no cream or sugar is added, no calories. No need to worry about folks who are seeking coffee 24/7. ;)

Good to read you are concerned about all of our health care costs and well being.[/B]

As long as we are departing from topic: At least my own health is not threatened by other peoples' obesity --the way it is by their smoking.

[quote name='baggal']Some people don't consider 11:30 p.m. "late night."

Its been my experience that "late night" (after midnight) room service on HAL is unreliable - no one answering the phone or very long waits for delivery. So if the ability to have a snack after midnight is important to you, I'd look at another cruise line that offers that service.[/quote]

Yes,they can go on NCL and have burgers 24/7 :eek:

[quote name='navybankerteacher']As long as we are departing from topic: At least my own health is not threatened by other peoples' obesity --the way it is by their smoking.[/quote]

sure it does. kids see people stuffing themselves and think it is acceptable behaviour. they learn by example. look at all the little butterballs these days.

eat responsibly. do it for the children...

CtheW0rld, I've been reading your posts for awhile now and generally speaking I have to say you really do make me laugh.

Now this post, while actually true to some degree, proves to me once and for all that you are definitely pulling our leg/legs:). Yet an awful lot of people accept what you say at face value so maybe I'm wrong;).

Banning all food except meals is a novel idea:D, but I have to admit that reading this thread I was literally laughing out loud at the times that people feel the need to eat!!!! It's basically 24/7 and even putting obesity aside, it just amazes me that passengers are seeking out food in the middle of the night!!!!! Does it ever stop?

I love to eat, too, and I really enjoy all the extra goodies on a cruise, but every now and then it really is a good idea to push away from the table and take a break!!! Give our poor bodies a rest!!! LOL:D

[quote name='CtheW0rld']sure it does. kids see people stuffing themselves and think it is acceptable behaviour. they learn by example. look at all the little butterballs these days.

eat responsibly. do it for the children...[/quote]

Bless your heart !

[quote name='IRL_Joanie']****
I have a thermos from HAL, but it and the coffee carafes, only keep the liquid inside hot for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours max, so ordering it the night before would not work well either.....

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Joanie,

Would "Iced" coffee be an acceptable alternative ?
I love the flavor of coffee, but prefer most drinks cold.
However, in spite of the universal availability of iced tea, finding iced coffee is akin to finding "hen's teeth".
So I am always getting coffee and a glass of ice and making my own.
And I agree, room-temperature coffee would be the worst of both worlds.
Perhaps this could be a solution for you.
You may even prefer it,

r.

[quote name='Tamaracboy']Joanie,

Would "Iced" coffee be an acceptable alternative ?
I love the flavor of coffee, but prefer most drinks cold.
However, in spite of the universal availability of iced tea, finding iced coffee is akin to finding "hen's teeth".
So I am always getting coffee and a glass of ice and making my own.
And I agree, room-temperature coffee would be the worst of both worlds.
Perhaps this could be a solution for you.
You may even prefer it,

r.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][B]Thanks for the suggestions Robert!! But my stomach just did a somersault with the thought of Tea of any kind or Iced Coffee, sorry.... I detest tea and cold coffee.

Maybe I will just scoot on down to the Front Desk and ask them to order the coffee for me, IF it is not readily available in the Lido..

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Isn't there a phone right in the Lido (by the mid elevators?) you could use to call Room service? I don't believe you won't be able to serve yourself coffee in the middle of the night the first 2 days. It's not like there are hundreds of people doing it spreading noro. Of course you could always sleep a little later till nearer 6 when crew would be there?

[quote=cruisin'girl;25527599]Isn't there a phone right in the Lido (by the mid elevators?) you could use to call Room service? I don't believe you won't be able to serve yourself coffee in the middle of the night the first 2 days. It's not like there are hundreds of people doing it spreading noro. Of course you could always sleep a little later till nearer 6 when crew would be there?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][B]I guess it will have to be Room Service called from the Lido Aft deck then!!:D

I really wish I could sleep later, but I suffer from some medical problems that wake me after only 3-5 hours of sleep. Once I am awakened it is impossible for me to go back to sleep:(

Besides, there is so much to enjoy in the beauty and solitude of the night while cruising, especially in the Caribbean:)

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='CtheW0rld']sure it does. kids see people stuffing themselves and think it is acceptable behaviour. they learn by example. look at all the little butterballs these days.

eat responsibly. do it for the children...[/QUOTE]

Here's my thing with the health/weight thing. I am 37 and overweight by around 50lbs. On a 5'5 frame thats quiet a bit. My blood pressure is perfectly normal, my cholesterol is in the perfectly normal range, I don't have diabetes as a matter a fact I have low blood sugar. I hiked Mnt. Leconte in the Smokey Mountains in April, 10 mile strenuous trail round trip. And I love to eat. Now on the flip side, my cousin who is only 2-3 years older than me is on both blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds. She weighs in around 125 about the same height I am. She acts like it kills her to shop in the Walmart for an hour or so. Most of my family is on some sort of pills. My doctor says I am perfectly healthy. So in my way of thinking just because you are over weight does not make you unhealthy just as being small makes you healthy. I enjoy my food on cruises whether its dinner at 6pm or a club sandwich at 2am. Just because someone is over weight doesn't make them knocking at Heavens door. There are plenty of unhealthy skinny people in the world.

[B]And SavanahGirl, it is your perogative to eat whatever you want whenever you want without accounting to any of us. ;)

You are right in saying weight (BMI) is not the only measure of health. Way more other things factor in.
Wishing you continued good health.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]And SavanahGirl, it is your perogative to eat whatever you want whenever you want without accounting to any of us. ;)

You are right in saying weight (BMI) is not the only measure of health. Way more other things factor in.
Wishing you continued good health.

[/B][/QUOTE]

:p :D

I usually have a light night snack (or two). I am a night owl & breakfast isn't my thing, unless it's for dinner. I will have a bite to eat in the morning when on a cruise though. Have been lucky so far, have never gained weight during a cruise so far.
2 questions:
- How is the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce?
- Do all of the cabins have a fridge? I will be in an outside cabin on the Amsterdam.

Now I'm thinking about the chocolate dipped bacon. Darn it! Sounds way too good. :D

[quote name='tink360']I usually have a light night snack (or two). I am a night owl & breakfast isn't my thing, unless it's for dinner. I will have a bite to eat in the morning when on a cruise though. Have been lucky so far, have never gained weight during a cruise so far.
2 questions:
- How is the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce?
- Do all of the cabins have a fridge? I will be in an outside cabin on the Amsterdam.

Now I'm thinking about the chocolate dipped bacon. Darn it! Sounds way too good. :D[/quote]

[B]On Amsterdam, not all the cabins have a mini bar frig.[/B]

[B]On Vista and Signature Class ships, all cabins have a frig/cooler.[/B]

[quote name='navybankerteacher']I do not particularly need to be able to fill my belly at any hour of the night -- and, to be blunt, many of the cruisers I see would be in much better shape if they could just cut down on some of their between-meals gorging.

Some of the moaning on this thread verges on the unbelievable.[/quote]

Did it occur to you that different folks have different body clocks. Or that people on your ship may have come from different time zones, and be up at 4am, or perhaps the opposite and not going til bed til 4am as a result...

Is it so bad that 'early seating diners' might have a late night snack at around 11pm - and that 'late seating diners' might want to have theirs a couple of hours later?

Personally, on vacation I stay up late - and sleep in late. I may not even have breakfast as it's closer til the lunch hour by the time I get up! So at 1am, I might be feeling a bit peckish for my 'third meal of the day' (even if just a small snack).

While admittedly HAL is not a late night crowd type of cruise line - for those that are - why the snide remarks from so many people?

As shocking and revelationary as this may sound to some of the posters on here - the truth is that we don't all get up at the same time, and all eat breakfast promptly at 8am, and tuck ourselves all into bed at 11pm.

Archived