Jan C&A Changes?

I think that the January date itself is probably speculation.

I agree. First it was September now it's January so who knows. Most here do think one of the main changes will be CL access due to overcrowding, which many times it is. The question is not if but when. IMO

I agree. First it was September now it's January so who knows. Most here do think one of the main changes will be CL access due to overcrowding, which many times it is. The question is not if but when. IMO

Anyone on these boards should understand that we are part of the information highway. As such, often, useful and valuable information is posted well before any official announcement. For this, there is gratitude.

The whole isuue may be unfounded

Actually, I think that most here do NOT think that the problem is overcrowding in the Concierge Lounge.

RC dealt with that rather effectively when they barred Diamonds from the CL.

The current speculation really focuses on new tier levels, or requirements to reach each level.

Actually, I think that most here do NOT think that the problem is overcrowding in the Concierge Lounge.

RC dealt with that rather effectively when they barred Diamonds from the CL.

The current speculation really focuses on new tier levels, or requirements to reach each level.

I believe one of the major reasons the focus will be on new tier levels is because that will control the number of people using the CL. Many here have commented on the overcrowding issue at least at certain times. Whether they move the happy hour to a larger venue or put further restrictions to access is anybody's guess.

I was thinking about this today when I read that Diamond/Diamond Plus sailing in December will get an extra cruise credit. The cynical side of me guessed that on January 1, they would move to a days at sea model which would make the extra cruise credit absolutely meaningless.

The real question for me is whether there will be "grandfathering" for existing status and benefits.

We suspect that there will be grandfathering for everyone's existing status but there is good probability that advance to the next level might be based on the new criteria. We certainly can't envision anyone being demoted.

For example, let's say you are now a D with 20 cruise points and RCL changed the new D requirement to 25 and the new D+ requirement to 50. We'd guess that you will remain a D but in order to get to D+ you would need to amass 50 cruise points.

I can't imagine Royal Caribbean changing the Crown & Anchor program again in January. The changes over the last two years have caused incredible anger among the loyal cruisers.

Moreover, once Allure and Oasis are both sailing the Caribbean, and with Carnival and Norwegian both touting new and popular ships in the Caribbean, Royal Caribbean would be risking upsetting too many people at a time of increased competition. RC will be desperate to fill both Allure and Oasis each and every week.

Furthermore, by greatly increasing the size of the Concierge Lounge on the Oasis class, it is evident that Royal Caribbean is taking into account that over time more and more people will have access to the lounge.

I don't know about all this changing the C&A program. This in general is a bad idea unless its extremely subtle. I mean why would anyone punish frequent customers? Thgis make absolutely ZERO sense. I hope they change thier minds. JC

They better not because it makes absolutely no sense to mess around with people that use your product the most. It just doesn't do them any good. JC

If the criteria for attaining the Diamond Plus level isn't increased you'll end up with the same problem in a few years with the overcrowded Concierge Lounges. I'm told January is when the next set of changes arrive. If for some reason this is delayed, it's only a matter of time before it happens. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how soon.

According to Betsy O'Rourke, senior vice president of marketing "any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

So, I'm not too concerned since I'm already Diamond Plus.

Furthermore, by greatly increasing the size of the Concierge Lounge on the Oasis class, it is evident that Royal Caribbean is taking into account that over time more and more people will have access to the lounge.

Is it possible that the increase in the size of the CL on the Oasis class is proportional to the number of cabins in the suite categories and not related to the number of D+ cruisers?

If the criteria for attaining the Diamond Plus level isn't increased you'll end up with the same problem in a few years with the overcrowded Concierge Lounges. I'm told January is when the next set of changes arrive. If for some reason this is delayed, it's only a matter of time before it happens. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how soon.

According to Betsy O'Rourke, senior vice president of marketing "any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

So, I'm not too concerned since I'm already Diamond Plus.

I think the trick here also in raising the criteria, is to have a level that is felt to be attainable. I have seen the number 50 being thrown around for D+. For a new cruiser is that a realistic goal? or do they say "no way" and take a look at other cruise options. I would think it would be over whelming for many. For those of us that have reached that goal, or very close to it we are indeed very fortunate and in the minority. It certainly would cut down on the numbers.

I think the trick here also in raising the criteria, is to have a level that is felt to be attainable. I have seen the number 50 being thrown around for D+. For a new cruiser is that a realistic goal? or do they say "no way" and take a look at other cruise options. I would think it would be over whelming for many. For those of us that have reached that goal, or very close to it we are indeed very fortunate and in the minority. It certainly would cut down on the numbers.

I would certainly say forget it. By the end of the year I'll be up to 23 cruise credits. If it moved to 50, I would not make a point of sailing on RCI anymore. I would certainly continue to sail on Royal Caribbean, but I am already out there trying other lines, which is a good thing to do. I would not be booking B2B2B2B2B2B etc cruises to reach any level. I don't have the time, money, nor desire to do that.

I would certainly say forget it. .

Me too, we're low down in Diamond points but with another couple of cruises to come (in JS's and with 1 of them for 14 days) that D+ would be attainable and would make us consider booking another few cruises to get there. If they make it 50 that's unrealistic for us.

I would certainly say forget it. By the end of the year I'll be up to 23 cruise credits. If it moved to 50, I would not make a point of sailing on RCI anymore. I would certainly continue to sail on Royal Caribbean, but I am already out there trying other lines, which is a good thing to do. I would not be booking B2B2B2B2B2B etc cruises to reach any level. I don't have the time, money, nor desire to do that.

Same story here. By January we will be up to 20 cruises, D+ could be in the next year or two. NOT if 4 more need turns into 26 more!!!! I guess if I had the time and money I would take a couple of cruises in December, extra cruise credits!!!!!:D

Valid observations! But making the uppermost C & A level feel attainable and still keeping a manageable number of members at that level may be conflicting goals.

Much of the discussion has been centered around the concierge lounge. This lounge, as most of you know, was originally intended for suite guests but because it often had excess capacity, access was granted to D and D+ members. When overcrowding became a problem or at least infringed on the suite guests the D's were expelled.

Some have suggested expanded the size of the lounge and that would work for a while. However, unless other changes are made to the program eventually this same problem will be back. Plus with too many eligibles the lounge loses its original concept of eliteness.

By manageable level we are suggesting a level that for the foreseeable future will not require any more drastic changes to the program. Obviously, the crux of any change would be to slow the speed at which members are reaching the top Crown & Anchor status.

For the uppermost C & A level we think the target number should be no more than .5 percent of a ship's capacity. For example, on an average sailing, a ship with a 3000 passenger capacity would have 15 people who had attained that status. Using 50 cruise points as the requirement for the top C & A level would probably achieve this goal.

Perhaps RCCL will adopt sea days as the basis for cruise points. They could leave the D+ requirements at 24 points and create another level called Diamond Royal or Diamond Elite for cruisers with 50 cruise points. We don't know what will happen but certainly suspect something will be happening soon.

I almost hate to mention anything for fear that the wizards at RCI may get some bright idea which could morph into something truly undesirable. One of the things they could consider is to let your cruise credits expire after a period of time. Many airlines do this with your accumulated miles if you don't travel with them within a certain time frame.

On another note, our last two cruises, one the Voyager in March there were only 14 D+ guests onboard. The other cruise on the Liberty at the end of May there were 39 D+. Those figures don't seem to be unmanageable considering on the Liberty you had the DL as well as the CL. I'm sure that is not the case on some of the other cruises like TAs or Alaska which probably have a larger D+ load.

Archived