Picking a cruise that is right for me

MisterVile

Hi Guys, glad to be a part of the forums.

I know that the cruise i want is specific to my tastes and needs, so i will give some general suggestions and i would appreciate any feedback.

First, i have been on one 5 day cruise on the Carnival Triumph. I found the ship to be big and nice, but Progresso Mexico was a real let down. I did the free drink beach excursion at Cozumel and enjoyed it. I am looking to either try a new cruise line, or a carnival ship fairly different from the Triumph.

I would like to stay tropical, St. Maarten is a place i would specifically like to visit on a cruise. (but please don't let this limit your recommendations)

I am alergic to seafood, but i won't let one restaraunt hinder me :o

I am 24 and engaged, i don't like kids(at all) and i prefer a fun atmosphere while my fiancee perfers a relaxing one. I don't care for many days at sea, but i won't let that stop me from choosing a ship.

I live in Buffalo, New York, so it really helps to have a direct flight to a port.

If you have any other questions let me know, thank you all in advance! :)

I think any ship that is going where you want to will work. There will be kids on every cruise...more, of course, during "break" times. But there will ALWAYS be some. As long as you don't have to take care of them, they shouldn't bother you!

The lines with more "fun" things will be Carnival, RCI and NCL.....the other lines are nice, but you may find them a bit "dull".

As far as excursions, get a guidebook on the ports you'll visit and see ALL of what's available to do before you start booking excursions. It can save you money and enhance your shore experience! It may be cheaper to go to a beach on your own and buy your drinks, rather than pay the cruiseline to take you there and "give" you drinks!

How about a Southern Caribbean cruise? Very port-intensive (usually just one sea day), but if you want to relax more, just stay on the ship while it's in port.

They sail from San Juan, I don't know if that's a direct fllight for you or not.

The kid quotient can be kept at bay by sailing at only certain times of the year. We have good luck sailing in late April/May or mid-September or later. Avoid spring break, summer, holidays.

If you can swing it, stay in San Juan for a day or two pre- or post-cruise.

If you want a direct flight to port of departure, that needs to be your first step...Plug in buffalo and look for direct flights to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans, charleston, Jacksonville, Tampa, Galveston, Mobile, San Juan. When you find the direct flight availability, then start looking for cruises from that/those ports. EM

One other thing to consider is to cruise out of NY or NJ. I'm guessing a 7-8 hour drive from Buffalo to port. Check the cruises out of Port Liberty on Royal Caribean's Explorer of the Seas. They have many different itineraries. This is a good cruise line for people in your age group. The bad part (if you can call it that) is the 2 days south and the 2 days back back to enjoy the ship.

If you want to avoid kids, avoid holidays, school vacation and spring break.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i was getting all excited on the NCL's "epic" but it has an "epic" price tag and not very accommodating schedule for me (south Caribbean wise).

i may just go carnival again, but i was looking forward to a "bigger" "better" ship, if you will

If you can do it, you will always find less kids on the 10 day cruises. A 10 day southern would allow you to leave from a US port, which is usually cheaper than flying into San Juan. the Southern Caribbean is magnificent. Incredible beaches and wonderful exposure to different cultures. If you can swing it, it's the way to go!

Archived