Smuggling vs 2 for 1 Soda Card....Same Thing??

Cool Waters

Which is okay Smuggling or 2 for 1 Soda Card  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Which is okay Smuggling or 2 for 1 Soda Card

• Smuggling is okay, The ship makes enough money off of other things I do.
    • 2 people for 1 Soda card is okay, I want to get my monies worth.
    • Both are just plain wrong!
    • It all depends on the circumstances??

Not necessarily. Ever drive faster than the speed limit? Was it dishonest? I don't think so.

LOL, of course it's dishonest....why do think the whole time I'm doing it....I hope and pray that I don't get "caught"...lol. They post the speed limit in hopes that some will be honest and obey whether their is a cop sitting there to make sure you do or not. :D

maybe smugguling is'nt stealing from the cruise line but it is stealing tip money from the servers.

That's an interesting POV. So in-fact, the question should also include removing tips.....is that the same thing as smuggling??

Very interesting point!

How can that statement be true? Thats a stretch!

It's a stretch, but I understand what he is saying. When someone smuggles, presuming the person would have brought it on the ship if their alcohol did not make it past the security check, then the person at the bar does not receive a tip. So what he is saying...if everyone smuggled, then the staff would suffer b/c they depend of the tips to make a living. Same thing as if you removed your tips and stiff the crew.

It's quite a stretch to make a case that smuggling alcohol amounts to "stealing". After all, I bought it so it is mine. On the other hand, one could make a case that buying one soda card and using it for more than one person, is in fact dishonest.

There ARE sections of the criminal codes of most places that refer to crimes of Defrauding an innkeeper by TRICK. and defrauding a storekeeper by trick.

They not only think it is stealing, they think it is a punishable CRIME. Ask your local policemen if such LAWS are on the books where you live. I'm betting they ARE.

I am still trying to figure out why so many on the Carnival boards are so concerned with what others bring on the ship. I really hope that those of you who are so bothered don't give it a thought once you get on the ship.

The lack of personal integrity in our nation is what allows anyone to justify smuggling and breaking their own freely given word. You smuggle booze when you agreed not to, and you are giving political leaders permission to lie to you and steal from you. The little bit of smuggling on cruise ships is but a popcorn fart in a hurricane of ME,ME,MEism blowing through the country.

Not necessarily. Ever drive faster than the speed limit? Was it dishonest? I don't think so.

So if you are caught smuggling, you'd be willing to pay a fine of around $250.00 per ounce like you have to pay for each mph over when you're caught speeding. IF not, then this fails as a comparison.

I never agreed to NOT speed, I agreed to pay a fine to keep my license IF caught speeding.

The lack of personal integrity in our nation is what allows anyone to justify smuggling and breaking their own freely given word. You smuggle booze when you agreed not to, and you are giving political leaders permission to lie to you and steal from you. The little bit of smuggling on cruise ships is but a popcorn fart in a hurricane of ME,ME,MEism blowing through the country.

Well said!

Our family did the "2 for 1" soda thing when we recently sailed the Dream. However, it was our SERVER'S choice. Our DD wanted a Shirley Temple with dinner the first night in the MDR. He then asked if anyone at the table had a soda card (which I did.) He looked at it, and I said, "but I'd also like a Coke." He showed up with both, EVERY night, and we were never charged.:D

Our family did the "2 for 1" soda thing when we recently sailed the Dream. However, it was our SERVER'S choice. Our DD wanted a Shirley Temple with dinner the first night in the MDR. He then asked if anyone at the table had a soda card (which I did.) He looked at it, and I said, "but I'd also like a Coke." He showed up with both, EVERY night, and we were never charged.:D

And how much did you tip him for each drink that he stole from his employer for your benefit? And I hope you REALIZE tips are why he did what he did.

First of all let me say that I really don't think either one is dishonest or stealing.

If I smuggle a bottle of alcohol on board and not even drink it, it's still smuggling, right? And if I did drink it that still doesn't mean I would buy a drink from the cruise line if I didn't smuggle any.

As for the soda cards, does it say anywhere that a person cannot buy a soda then give it away? If a person gets 10 sodas and drinks only 5, and wastes the other 5, who cares if someone else drinks them? You're paying for the soda card and unlimited drinks. You give them the money for the card then you get the drinks.

It's a stretch, but I understand what he is saying. When someone smuggles, presuming the person would have brought it on the ship if their alcohol did not make it past the security check, then the person at the bar does not receive a tip. So what he is saying...if everyone smuggled, then the staff would suffer b/c they depend of the tips to make a living. Same thing as if you removed your tips and stiff the crew.

So if I'm a person that never tips at the bar then I'm ok with smuggling?

That's a very, very far stretch. And it's not a "moral" issue either. The cruise line makes smuggling an issue because of "MONEY". That has nothing to do with morals, just profit. As I wrote in another post, if I smuggle a whole bottle that doesn't mean I would buy a whole bottle from the cruise ship if I didn't smuggle. Matter of fact I bet a majority of people would not drink near as much if they had to buy from the cruise line.

Cruise lines are guilty of stealing as well...they steal our time. Sure we are all used to it and have accepted it but how many minutes of our vacation have been spent waiting in lines to have unwanted and unpurchased pictures taken....just one small example.

Its all about give and take...some people want to bring their own alcohol or some want to give away a soda...no one gets on the ship for free. We all pay and I think some people should get over themselves. :eek:

They know people share and that is why they charge 50 bucks a card. It costs pennies to serve a soda on board. You could share between 5 people and they would still profit. I don't think they mind all to much.

The ship will still money off you, even if you share your sodas... you'd have to drink gallons to break even. And as far as waiters go, I personally wouldn't mind either. I'm not paying for this soda, the guest can have as much as they want. And as far as tips on booze goes, your not stealing tips... they havnt even poured you a drink! there are plently of people who don't drink and therefore don't tip. And that's ok.

That's a very, very far stretch. And it's not a "moral" issue either. The cruise line makes smuggling an issue because of "MONEY". That has nothing to do with morals, just profit. As I wrote in another post, if I smuggle a whole bottle that doesn't mean I would buy a whole bottle from the cruise ship if I didn't smuggle. Matter of fact I bet a majority of people would not drink near as much if they had to buy from the cruise line.

I'd guess you won't understand this:

Integrity, if you have it, nothing else matters. And if you don't have it, nothing else matters.

And if I did drink it that still doesn't mean I would buy a drink from the cruise line if I didn't smuggle any.

So you're saying if you didn't smuggle, you still wouldn't purchase from the bar? The only way you'd be drinkin' is if you were bringin'?

If that's the case, I have to believe you're in the minority. I know of several posters that have said they'll purchase in addition to what they smuggle, and also those who say they'll take the risk and smuggle but buy from the bar if they get caught.

Archived