Booking Guarantee stateroom

LounVal

An upgrade can happen, but most likely, won't. So don't book a GTY unless you'll be happy with ANY cabin in the catagory that you're booking...anywhere on the ship!

If you are particular about your accomodations, it's best to book the specific cabin you'll be happy with!

Generally you will get upgraded...But not to another type of cabin. I book guarantees whenever I can, the least expensive inside. On Princess I was upgraded five categories, but it was still and inside. If you go to a site like Princess and do a fake booking, exploring all cabin categories, you will find people guarantees in the lowest grade of a category, figuring they will be upgraded somewhere within that category. they also book a gty in the highest grade, figuring they will get upgraded to the next....Such as booking the highest inside and getting an obstructed OV. Or booking an obstructed OV and getting an unobstructed OV. You will often find these categories waitlisted. EM

An upgrade can happen, but most likely, won't. So don't book a GTY unless you'll be happy with ANY cabin in the catagory that you're booking...anywhere on the ship!

If you are particular about your accomodations, it's best to book the specific cabin you'll be happy with!

I agree with CB@sea. Don't book the gty anticipating the upgrade. We booked a gty for our current cruise on Celebrity. Our first time booking a gty.

We got our room assignment (in our category) within a week of making our reservation. Luckily, I found a better room in our category and requested a room change which we got.

My son & DIL booked a gty on a Carnival ship. They got the worst possible room..........all the way at the front of the ship in a cabin where you could not put the 2 twin beds together. As others have said if you are fussy about your cabin location pick what you want instead.

We frequently book guarantees. Most of the time, we have had slight upgrades within the same type of cabin. We usually go for the obstructed view guarantees, but we've also done it with inside cabins and balconies.

Recently we've had upgrades from obstructed view cabins to unobstructed ones. On the Sapphire Princess last month, we did not find out until four days before our cruise. For our December cruise on the Island Princess, we got our upgraded cabin assignment more than four months before our cruise.

We don't mind motion, so being at the very front or rear of the ship doesn't bother us. Plus we don't mind walking long distances. It helps burn off extra calories. We've never had a room that was too noisy even though we've been under the pool on one cruise and over the theater on another.

We booked inside GTY cabin last Oct. on Celebrity Century and got upgraded to an oceanview at no additional charge. For Oct. 2010, we booked inside GTY on Celebrity Millenium for $699 and got assigned to midship inside cabin. Prices then dropped and we called and got upgraded to good location balcony cabin for $10 additional per person. No guarantees when you book a "guarantee cabin" but it has worked well for us both times at a large savings.

Archived