Help with Hotels in Fort Lauderdale

kl630

We are sailing on the Emerald out of Fort Lauderdale in December. We'll be arriving the night before. Can anyone offer suggestions of good places to stay? I've read that there are some hotels that will shuttle us to the port for free and that others are right by a store where we can pick up wine. It's been so long since I've read them that I can't remember where they were! Any help would be wonderful! Thank you:D

We are sailing on the Emerald out of Fort Lauderdale in December. We'll be arriving the night before. Can anyone offer suggestions of good places to stay? I've read that there are some hotels that will shuttle us to the port for free and that others are right by a store where we can pick up wine. It's been so long since I've read them that I can't remember where they were! Any help would be wonderful! Thank you:D

Embassy Suites on 17th St is right in front of Total Wine/Publix and only several blocks from the port. A Taxi would cost you about $10.

The Renaissance on 17th St is on the corner to the entrance to the port and is 2 loooong blocks from Total Wine/Publix.

We like the Renaissance and we walk into the port. ;)

You will gets lots of opinions regarding the FLL hotels. Many folks love to stay in the 17th Street area (Embassy Suites is one of several hotels here) because of the good location. When we want to save money we will usually go for the Comfort Inn Cruise Port which is really a budget hotel (close to a dump) which is clean and OK for one night and does provide free transport between both the FLL airport and the cruise port. f

Hank

Embassy Suites on 17th St is right in front of Total Wine/Publix and only several blocks from the port. A Taxi would cost you about $10.

The Renaissance on 17th St is on the corner to the entrance to the port and is 2 loooong blocks from Total Wine/Publix.

We like the Renaissance and we walk into the port. ;)

A very short block away from Embassy Suites is Hyatt Place North. They have a free shuttle to/from the airport and to the pier, and are a 5-minute walk to Total Wine/Publix. (Embassy Suites is at the entrance from 17th Street to the shopping area, the Hyatt is off the side entrance.) The Hyatt has a complimentary breakfast and there are several restaurants a very short walk away, plus CVS (in case you've forgotten something) and Bank of America (in case you need money. :) )

One thing to remember when using "free" shuttles is that there is usually a VERY long line so be prepared to wait. Make a reservation for the shuttle as soon as you can or take a taxi (these hotels are only about a $10 cab ride away.)

We are staying for 1 night at the Best Western Cruise Port for our 10/19 cruise on the Emerald. They have both airport and cruise port shuttle. We are paying $109/night booked directly thru the BW web site. They are also right next to a shopping center with grocery and liquor store, restaurants. I'm sure it's not like staying on the other side of the intercoastal but it is fairly cheap and it's only for 1 night.

I suggest you check the Florida Departures Board here on CC. You'll find a wealth of the kind of information you're looking for there.

We bid on Priceline yesterday for two nights in Ft. Lauderdale between two cruises next February. Unfortunately, the weekend is Presidents Day Weekend so the bids normally accepted were not. I ended up with two nights at the Riverside Hotel for $100/night +tax.

If you're planning to use Princeline, I highly recommend you check out the Bidding for Travel site for a lot of good bidding hints.

Lew

A great place to research hotels is here on CC - Florida departures..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We like Hyatt Place North for location.. close to all amenities - restaurants, and the cruise port. Shuttles from airport and to cruise port... however, last year they would not take reservations for the shuttle to the cruise port (they may now??) - so we took one look at the line-up that started at 10am for a 11am shuttle, and took a cab - $6 plus tip!! Going rate for Nov when we booked was $190, AAA $170, ValueTrips $109, and Hotwire $59.

I stayed there last May before my last cruise. It's a bit tacky, but it's clean. A staff person drove me to a local Walgreens to pick up some munchies and a few items I'd forgotten when I packed for the trip.

It certainly is worth while for a nite or two.

We stay at Sleep Inn/ Dania. Resonable, decent, across the street from

Publix/Walgreens/ couple of restaurants, breakfast, shuttle from the airport and shuttle to the port. Small pool/ hot tub/ washer-dryer on site,

internet etc. Comfortable for a one night pre or post cruise stay.

Sherri

Lew,

We stayed at The Riverside before a cruise in March (also got it via Priceline bidding). We absolutely loved the location on Las Olas-plenty of food and shopping options right out the door. No shuttle, but did a shared airport shuttle and then a shared shuttle to the cruisport and neither were very expensive. Enjoy!

Lew,

We stayed at The Riverside before a cruise in March (also got it via Priceline bidding). We absolutely loved the location on Las Olas-plenty of food and shopping options right out the door. No shuttle, but did a shared airport shuttle and then a shared shuttle to the cruisport and neither were very expensive. Enjoy!

Hi sunsetbeachgal,

Happy to learn you enjoyed the Riverside.

Yes, I like the look of the area very much. Seems like there is a lot to do.

We stayed at the Renaissance last February pre-cruise. Although it was close to Total Wine and Publix, there wasn't much else to do in that area IMHO.

It looks like Broward County buses will take us anywhere we need to go. There's also the Surrey and water taxi. We'll be just fine at the Riverside.

Lew

We stay at Sleep Inn/ Dania. Resonable, decent, across the street from

Publix/Walgreens/ couple of restaurants, breakfast, shuttle from the airport and shuttle to the port. Small pool/ hot tub/ washer-dryer on site,

internet etc. Comfortable for a one night pre or post cruise stay.

Sherri

we also have stayed at the sleep inn in dania. shuttle from airport and to cruise port is free. they have discounted rates for aaa, aarp and military.

I've given up on the large hotels when I pre-cruise in FLL. We are staying for the second time at the Tropi Rock Motel, up the beach about 15 minutes from Las Olas. It's a funky old place (there are a number of them), run by a guy who looks like an old hippie, but it's clean and well-run. There are a couple of nice restaurants along the beach, and we usually do a lot of walking.

It gets high ratings on Tripadvisor.

Cabs are cheap in Fort Lauderdale, so we'd rather do that than choose a hotel simply because it has a shuttle.

I had previously posted that we usually stay at the Comfort Inn Cruise Port on Sterling Road. This hotel is a place that is really in need of an overhaul (it is close to being a dump) but it is convenient. We should have also mentioned that its selling point is the price which is generally under $60 when using a AAA or Senior rate.

Hank

Hi sunsetbeachgal,

Happy to learn you enjoyed the Riverside.

Yes, I like the look of the area very much. Seems like there is a lot to do.

We stayed at the Renaissance last February pre-cruise. Although it was close to Total Wine and Publix, there wasn't much else to do in that area IMHO.

It looks like Broward County buses will take us anywhere we need to go. There's also the Surrey and water taxi. We'll be just fine at the Riverside.

Lew

Lew, you are going to wonder what took you so long to find Las Olas. The Riverside Hotel on Las Olas is a gem in the heart of the prettiest area of Fort Lauderdale. You will not go back to 17th Street.

I've given up on the large hotels when I pre-cruise in FLL. We are staying for the second time at the Tropi Rock Motel, up the beach about 15 minutes from Las Olas. It's a funky old place (there are a number of them), run by a guy who looks like an old hippie, but it's clean and well-run. There are a couple of nice restaurants along the beach, and we usually do a lot of walking.

It gets high ratings on Tripadvisor.

Cabs are cheap in Fort Lauderdale, so we'd rather do that than choose a hotel simply because it has a shuttle.

LOVE, love, love The TropiRock!

A great place to research hotels is here on CC - Florida departures..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We like Hyatt Place North for location.. close to all amenities - restaurants, and the cruise port. Shuttles from airport and to cruise port... however, last year they would not take reservations for the shuttle to the cruise port (they may now??) - so we took one look at the line-up that started at 10am for a 11am shuttle, and took a cab - $6 plus tip!! Going rate for Nov when we booked was $190, AAA $170, ValueTrips $109, and Hotwire $59.

Hi Toberman, how were you assured to get this hotel when you used Hotwire, etc? Did you just take a chance? I also read there is no refund.

There are no guarantees with Hotwire, Priceline or other 'opaque' travel retailers that you will get the hotel you want and there is no ability to cancel and get refund if you do not like what you get or your plans change.

For some cities, discussion boards like BetterBidding or the sticky at the top of this forum have listed the likely hotels in a given zone for Priceline and for Hotwire, users will provide the list of amenities that were seen with their hotel win. This help future users distinguish one hotel from another in the same zone. This helps you narrow down the likelihood of what hotel you get when bidding/buying 'blind' on these sites.

If you look at a list of 'hotel wins' in a given zone on sites such as Better Bidding and figure you would be happy with any of the ones listed in the zone at your chosen quality/star rating, then Hotwire or Priceline can be a great way to save money. If there are possible hotels that are deal breakers because you know you won't be satisfied, then these 'blind' travel retailers are not a good idea.

There are no guarantees with Hotwire, Priceline or other 'opaque' travel retailers that you will get the hotel you want and there is no ability to cancel and get refund if you do not like what you get or your plans change.

For some cities, discussion boards like BetterBidding or the sticky at the top of this forum have listed the likely hotels in a given zone for Priceline and for Hotwire, users will provide the list of amenities that were seen with their hotel win. This help future users distinguish one hotel from another in the same zone. This helps you narrow down the likelihood of what hotel you get when bidding/buying 'blind' on these sites.

If you look at a list of 'hotel wins' in a given zone on sites such as Better Bidding and figure you would be happy with any of the ones listed in the zone at your chosen quality/star rating, then Hotwire or Priceline can be a great way to save money. If there are possible hotels that are deal breakers because you know you won't be satisfied, then these 'blind' travel retailers are not a good idea.

Great tips and info. Thanks again!

Archived