Not happy about Labadee

K1200S

I was never bothered by suite guests getting a place reserved in many of the various places on the ship or on the island. They pay a lot more for those perks which I'm not willing to do.

UNTIL, my recent trip on the Oasis. It was in the gym. The spinning class had a wait list of two people. One person got in, BUT the other guy didn't because a 9 or 10 year boy had been given a seat because his grandparents were suite guests. Twice on this cruise.

This really rubbed me the wrong way. Firstly, does the age requirement not apply for suite guests????

Secondly, other thoughts crossed my mind, too. What if the wait listed guy was Diamond plus, but just didn't book a suite. He really should have gotten the spot, not the kid.

Should the guy or any another guest be given this treatment like this in the gym? What if this had been the first cruise the grandparents booked with Royal? Does a Suite rule over anything else?

I think it's different to GIVE higher level guests something ADDITIONAL. But you're talking about TAKING something AWAY from those that are used to having it - that's the difference, as I see it.

I AGREE - let them develop a new beach for the high rollers.........don't take something away from their loyal guests, regardless of which cabin they booked!!!

if you want to snorkel Barefoot beach, just swim over there - no guards in water! :)

OMG!!!!

Are you telling people to BREAK THE RULES?? Shame on you ;)!

Imagine what would happen if people didn't follow the rules, the next step would be to bring water and soda onboard..!

Now go in the corner and write 100 times: I will always follow the rules dictated by RCI, otherwise I am a very bad person :p

so, according to your theory, any first class airport lounge that occupies 1000's of square feet of space, offers free spa services, free drinks, free day rooms and sit down restaurant service is taking something away from the economy passengers?

The terminals still offer some nice places to sit down, enjoy good food, and have a nice drink, but unfortunately, it's not as nice nor free, although I'm using "free" very liberally here as nothing is free.... The first class paxs paid through their nose for that privilege and so do the suite paxs.

No, I don't think me meant like that. The beach was something everyone could use in the past. Now only suite guests can use it, so it was basically taken away from everyone else who could normally use it.

Now if the airport had built this huge lounge and provided all these services for years to everyone, then one day said. "Sorry, you can't use this great lounge anymore unless you are first class", then it would be an equivalent thing.

Here are a couple over water and one on the hilltop above.

DSCF0082.jpg

and one on the beach there were around 15 or so total...

DSCF0072.jpg

Yes, there is all kinds of food right at the back of the beach: cold salads, fruits, steak, shrimp... that kind of stuff. No massive lines either.:)

Great pictures....Where and when do you book this if you are not a suite guest?:)

RC offers an excursion on Labadee called the Haitian Cultural Tour. It is said to be fabulous. Part of the tour includes an hour at a beautiful beach away from the crowds..We are doing this next week and can't wait.

Do something different. ;)

We did that tour last Friday and thought it was great. The cultural bit is a mock village but it was nice. There were about 34 of us on the boat and once there the guide took half of us on the tour and the other half had the beach to themselves, we then returned and had the beach to ourselves while they continued the tour. There are floating mats, chairs and a bar there. I could have stayed on that beach all week :) This is a picture from my bed that was in the shade under trees and one from the sea showing beds and bar.

CIMG0358.jpg.5980bfe7600ebe060580deb5a70c2042.jpg

CIMG0341.jpg.1a8c2ab4bd5315f6da391afe45928c14.jpg

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

Yes, there is all kinds of food right at the back of the beach: cold salads, fruits, steak, shrimp... that kind of stuff. No massive lines either.:)

Nice pictures Fred :) I am assuming those are your toes :D

I'm inclined to agree with Silent Bob.

How soon will it be before we return to 1st, 2nd, 3rd class sections on the ships again ("oops, sorry you're a third-class passenger (in Steerage), you can't go to the Boardwalk...").

Happy cruising...

My sentiment exactly. I have no problem with the concierge lounge, its not in my plain sight. I do detest having a segregated suite only chairs on the pool decks. I haven't seen any threads yet if those in a Junior Suite can go on this beach.

Not for JS. It is for GS and above guests. I can understand folks not liking this. But, we were in a GS last week and believe me, it was a wonderful change from being on a crowded beach. We had no steak that I saw, but we had shrimp and scallop skewers and freshly grilled lobster tails. What a pleasant surprise!

Not for JS. It is for GS and above guests. I can understand folks not liking this. But, we were in a GS last week and believe me, it was a wonderful change from being on a crowded beach. We had no steak that I saw, but we had shrimp and scallop skewers and freshly grilled lobster tails. What a pleasant surprise!

We have to book a GS then!:D

SCHWEET :) We just booked a GS for our next two cruises on the Freedom so now I know what we will be doing in Labadee :D

As far as the concerns of the OP go...Guests that pay so much more for suites deserve to get something "extra". Personally, with 4 kids, we could never afford the suites right now, but I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

IMO Suite guest that pay extra should get extra stuff in their suite, not taking away from what was once everyones.

We were on the Freedom and stopped in Ladadee last January and did NOT experience any crowded beaches. We used both the beach near the Barefoot Beach and the beach “under” the zip line. We did talk to a few suite passengers in the CL who commented on the very nice Barefoot Beach lunch.

M

I want to be THERE right now! NOW! NOW! NOW! :eek: :)

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

I AGREE - let them develop a new beach for the high rollers.........don't take something away from their loyal guests, regardless of which cabin they booked!!!

No, I don't think me meant like that. The beach was something everyone could use in the past. Now only suite guests can use it, so it was basically taken away from everyone else who could normally use it.

Now if the airport had built this huge lounge and provided all these services for years to everyone, then one day said. "Sorry, you can't use this great lounge anymore unless you are first class", then it would be an equivalent thing.

We were on the Freedom and stopped in Ladadee last January and did NOT experience any crowded beaches. We used both the beach near the Barefoot Beach and the beach “under” the zip line. We did talk to a few suite passengers in the CL who commented on the very nice Barefoot Beach lunch.

M

When the pier was being built at Labadee, there was also work to create new beaches out of previously forested areas.

The beach area HAS increased, to compensate for the lost areas of Hideaway Beach, where the pier is now, and Barefoot Beach, which is reserved for suite guests.

No net loss to "ordinary" passengers.

And for the record, I have not been to Labadee since the changes were completed, and I am highly unlikely to either book a suite (Upgrade fairy, here I am!) or pay for a cabana. Do I care if someone else does? Nope.

Chill out, people. No one stole anything from you.

When the pier was being built at Labadee, there was also work to create new beaches out of previously forested areas.

The beach area HAS increased, to compensate for the lost areas of Hideaway Beach, where the pier is now, and Barefoot Beach, which is reserved for suite guests.

No net loss to "ordinary" passengers.

And for the record, I have not been to Labadee since the changes were completed, and I am highly unlikely to either book a suite (Upgrade fairy, here I am!) or pay for a cabana. Do I care if someone else does? Nope.

Chill out, people. No one stole anything from you.

No, it wan't stolen but it was taken away. Believe me I am not losing any sleep over this. Was curious how others felt which is why I started this thread. Others in my group were a lot more upset then me.

While it is true there is plenty of beach on the ocean side there is practically no shade which means rental of a sunshade which blocks any breeze making one less comfortable. I prefer the bay/lagoon side where shade is more plentiful and snorkeling is better. Barefoot is the best location for that on Labadee. Next time I just may swim over.

No, it wan't stolen but it was taken away. Believe me I am not losing any sleep over this. Was curious how others felt which is why I started this thread. Others in my group were a lot more upset then me.

While it is true there is plenty of beach on the ocean side there is practically no shade which means rental of a sunshade which blocks any breeze making one less comfortable. I prefer the bay/lagoon side where shade is more plentiful and snorkeling is better. Barefoot is the best location for that on Labadee. Next time I just may swim over.

Pete if you are on our sailing, you are more than welcome to join us :D

Archived