Frozen eggs?

Casey12

I was reading on another board that Princess uses frozen eggs for their omelettes. I wondered if that was true and it made me think back to my last couple of cruises where the omelettes on Princess were not very good. I wondered how they could ruin an omelette.

Does anyone know if they use real eggs or something else?

I have never heard of frozen eggs. They are "real", fresh eggs that are cracked to open. Not sure where you read this but it sounds like something someone on another cruise board would post based on rumor or fiction. If you take the Ultimate Ship's Tour, you'll see where the eggs are stored. They also reload eggs when in port and in some countries, the chickens are fed differently. When that happens, the yolks are more of an orange color. Actually, these eggs are more "natural" than US eggs. The flavor is also different.

I have actually wondered about the mashed potatoes.... On my last cruise, I ordered an entree and noticed mashed potatoes were part of another entree and asked for those also (so I didn't ask that they be made up special, they were made anyway for that evening). The waiter brought those on a separate plate and they didn't taste like real potatoes. I hadn't had an issue in the past.

Does anyone have any luck with real butter in the dining room? Their flower molded butter at the table is a mixture and it drives me crazy that there is real butter in the buffet (chunks, not flower shaped) but not in the dining room. Though I have yet to ask for real butter instead. Maybe I will on the next cruise.

Does anyone have any luck with real butter in the dining room? Their flower molded butter at the table is a mixture and it drives me crazy that there is real butter in the buffet (chunks, not flower shaped) but not in the dining room. Though I have yet to ask for real butter instead. Maybe I will on the next cruise.

A mixture of what? :confused: Tastes like butter to me...

Oh, this is funny. My spousal unit insists on butter, not margarine. There is no way he's going to believe he's been eating margarine!! I was always a bit suspect...because they were not wrapped.....the flower was the givaway. Thanks for confirming!

Well, all I can say is that I have watched them crack the eggs for omelets at the HC for breakfast, so unless they have fake shells too? :)

Toto,

Since about 2008, the Grand Class (Golden and Star) and the Diamond HCs have been preparing omelettes ahead of time and there is no longer any grill where they are cooked for you while you wait.

The last time they had an omelette station in the HC that I recall was onboard Coral during her FLL/YVR repo cruise in May 2006.

While I understand the logistical nightmare with production of the numbers, I believe that the pre-prepped omelettes have resulted in a considerable reduction in qualty control of the final food product served to the passengers. A perfect example of this was the omelettes served onboard Diamond this past September on our trip from Whittier to Vancouver, where on 5 of the seven mornings, they were served luke warm. People had to ask them to be microwaved to heat them up.

Ciao for now!!!

Toto,

Since about 2008, the Grand Class (Golden and Star) and the Diamond HCs have been preparing omelettes ahead of time and there is no longer any grill where they are cooked for you while you wait.

Not quite accurate. If there isn't an omelette station, you can always ask for one to be made in the buffet. I did that on the Crown last month, on the Coral, on the Sapphire, you name it. They don't advertise this but they will do it. All you have to do is ask. People look at me strangely as I wait at the opening in the buffet so I always explain I'm waiting for an omelette.

Toto,

The last time they had an omelette station in the HC that I recall was onboard Coral during her FLL/YVR repo cruise in May 2006.

While I understand the logistical nightmare with production of the numbers, I believe that the pre-prepped omelettes have resulted in a considerable reduction in qualty control of the final food product served to the passengers. A perfect example of this was the omelettes served onboard Diamond this past September on our trip from Whittier to Vancouver, where on 5 of the seven mornings, they were served luke warm. People had to ask them to be microwaved to heat them up.

Ciao for now!!!

This is a big difference between HA and Princess. On HA all eggs are made to order (including stuff at the Eggs Benedict station) as are the waffles, pancakes, etc. HA even makes their sandwiches to order. Princess, on the other hand, seems to try to have more things prepared in bulk.

Hank

This is a big difference between HA and Princess. On HA all eggs are made to order (including stuff at the Eggs Benedict station) as are the waffles, pancakes, etc. HA even makes their sandwiches to order. Princess, on the other hand, seems to try to have more things prepared in bulk.
As I said before, you can request omelets be made to order; I believe you can have waffles made to order as well. The difference on HAL is that you have no choice but to wait 10-15 minutes per station. Yes, it's fresher and everything is made to order but if you are going on an early tour, I hate the thought of spending 15-20 minutes waiting in line. On HAL, I usually order room service so I don't have the wait.

I was reading on another board that Princess uses frozen eggs for their omelettes. I wondered if that was true and it made me think back to my last couple of cruises where the omelettes on Princess were not very good. I wondered how they could ruin an omelette.

Does anyone know if they use real eggs or something else?

The United States Public Health Service (better known as USPH, an arm of the CDC) strongly recommends that ALL cruise lines calling at US Ports should use only pre-opened, pasteurized, frozen eggs for all dishes requiring egg products.

This recommendation (not requirement) removes nearly all chances of salmonella infection.

Many cruise lines have complied completely with this recommendation.

Others still use whole eggs for a few dishes like omelettes.

The United States Public Health Service (better known as USPH, an arm of the CDC) strongly recommends that ALL cruise lines calling at US Ports should use only pre-opened, pasteurized, frozen eggs for all dishes requiring egg products.

This recommendation (not requirement) removes nearly all chances of salmonella infection.

Many cruise lines have complied completely with this recommendation.

Others still use whole eggs for a few dishes like omelettes.

So, we're all both right and wrong?

Archived