Considering a Princess Cruise and I Have Questions

LizCruiser

I want to book a cruise for my family of six. I've been thinking of going for a 14 day cruise to Hawaii in November 2012 (the kids' first cruise). How soon will dates and itineraries be posted for that month? Is it usually a 24 month window?

Looking at the info for 2011, it appears that both the Golden and the Sapphire sail to Hawaii from LA. How do these ships compare to each other? Is one better than the other for kids (ages at the time will be 7,9,15, and almost 17)? This will be our first Princess cruise, and my husband and I have only done a 4 day Carnival cruise 10 years ago (where we got engaged), and will have done our second cruise on Norweigan (our 10 year anniversary cruise scheduled for March 2011, 7 days). I can't imagine being on a cruise ship too long, but I have heard that 14 days is too long for some to be on a ship. Will the kids have enough to do and will the activities for them be varied enough to last them 14 days? Do they have seasick meds for kids, just in case?

Thanks for any and all info. We're new at this!

I have not been on those ships so cannot comment on that. However a 14 day cruise will not have nearly as many kids aboard as a shorter one during

school holidays. That being said we took a ten year old on a 10 day Panama cruise on Princess and although there were only 4 kids on board (!) one was a guy his age and they were very happy hanging out together. He certainly loved the ship....swimming, shooting baskets and eating "free" pizza and room service. We were able to do some neat shore excurions.

Our cruise only had one or two as sea days...Yours will have more which might be problematic.

I want to book a cruise for my family of six. I've been thinking of going for a 14 day cruise to Hawaii in November 2012 (the kids' first cruise). How soon will dates and itineraries be posted for that month? Is it usually a 24 month window?

Looking at the info for 2011, it appears that both the Golden and the Sapphire sail to Hawaii from LA. How do these ships compare to each other? Is one better than the other for kids (ages at the time will be 7,9,15, and almost 17)? This will be our first Princess cruise, and my husband and I have only done a 4 day Carnival cruise 10 years ago (where we got engaged), and will have done our second cruise on Norweigan (our 10 year anniversary cruise scheduled for March 2011, 7 days). I can't imagine being on a cruise ship too long, but I have heard that 14 days is too long for some to be on a ship. Will the kids have enough to do and will the activities for them be varied enough to last them 14 days? Do they have seasick meds for kids, just in case?

Try to answer some of your questions:

1. Bring your own seasick meds; I have found that DD (darling daughter)does better on Bonine than Dramamine.

2. 14 days in November? Unless your kids are home-schooled or on a year round school there is no way I'd take a 15 & 17 y.o. out of high school for 2 solid weeks + plus travel days for a cruise. IMO they would never catch up. Plus, the 17 y.o., if a senior, would be smack in the midst of college applications, SATs, ACTs or what have you. My daughter missed 3 days of school two years ago and had to do not only the work she missed but also a powerpoint and a special report when she got back. In some states you cannot take your kids out of school for that long unless it is medically necessary. (Again, this may not apply but I'd certainly check into if if they are in the public school system.)

3. Yes, there will be plenty to do for everyone, but, again, to go from 4 days to 14 for you and 0 to 14 for the kids just seems like too big a leap. (My opinion only).

The Golden and the Sapphire are very similar, i.e., they are both "Grand-class" ships although there are some design differences. Instead of two large Anytime dining rooms, the Sapphire has four smaller dining rooms (the large ones were split in half so it's exactly the same space, just a diffrent configuration.)

The Golden has MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) and the Sapphire is rumored to be getting it but not until it's next dry dock.

I've done the R/T Hawaiian cruise several times and there were very few kids onboard. While I think this is a great cruise, it might not be the best with kids because there are so many days at sea. I personally love the days at sea and feel you can't have too many, but for an active child, it might be boring.

We have been on both the Sapphire and Golden and have done the LA-Hawaii cruise three times, so perhaps I can answer some of your questions. First, both ships are beautiful and I would happily sail on either of them, but my preference would be the Golden, especially for the Hawaii itinerary. It has the International Cafe which we really like, (your kids will appreciate the ready availability of warm cookies!) Additionally, the Golden has one of the best cruise directors and best Hawaiian cultural programs I have seen. You really understand the spirit of Aloha from the minute you board, and the Hawaiian spirit is alive and will throughout the cruise, not just during your days in the islands. So my vote would be the Golden.

Our kids are veteran cruisers so I can say without hesitation that 14 days is definitely not too long. Since this would be a first for your kids, that is hard to predict, but I will say that the sea days are absolutely jam packed with activities for adults and for kids. Princess has a great kids program and many of the activities onboard outside the kids program are appropriate for families to participate in together (ie. lei making, hula, ukulele lessons, etc.) We travel at Christmas so there are always plenty of other kids onboard. It might be slightly less in November, but if you are traveling over Thanksgiving I'm sure you would find a decent amount of families with children cruising with you.

As far as sea sick meds, the Pacific crossing can be a little rocky but my kids have never needed them. They enjoy the E ticket ride! However, if you are at all concerned I'm sure your doctor could talk with you about preventive measures. I will tell you the crew swears by green apples and many people seem to do well with ginger, so there are natural alternatives to meds.

Good luck making your decision. I can tell you that our family LOVES the Hawaii cruise and we are heading back on our fourth this year so I guess that is about as good of a testimonial as I can provide!

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! We will only be taking the kids out of school for one week, as they will be off the other week for Thanksgiving, which (as karatemom mentioned) I think will mean more kids on board. My eldest will be a Junior that year. I figured that this might be a good option for us because I think that the kids would love cruising, plus none of us have been to Hawaii before. I think that we will save a lot of money this way because we will all get both experiences without having to pay for plane flights for 6 people. I looked at doing a 7 day Hawaii cruise, but with flights it's essentially the same price as the 14 day.

Your input so far has given me a lot to think about (and dream about! :)), so thank you!

My suggestion might be to see if a Panama Canal full transit also works in that time frame. There would be less sea days to have to occupy time and a huge variety of cultures to expose the kids to, plus the canal. That said, it would involve 1 way airfare to get back..

Personally, I would never take my kids on that long of a cruise. The longer cruises tend to have fewer kids. Having said that, you know your children the best....

Hmmmmm..an interesting topic on kids on holidays and missing school.

We're from Australia so getting to see the rest of the world is always a long journey.

I've two kids - now aged girl 16 and boy 18 and we've done the Asia thing, the UK thing, the Europe thing and the USA thing. Yes....we're very lucky to have done all this but don't underestimate the value, the cultural and social education, the awarness and the worldliness that come with the experience - especially while they are young and impressionable.

Yes - they may miss out on some face to face class time - but the that can be remedied by getting ahead before you leave (recommend you don't take school work away - it just won't get done) - it's also an incentive for the kids to have the work done beforehand. The other thing we encouraged our kids to do is to undertake some research on the places they're visiting before we arrive - make a game of it. The boring bits can become very interesting when they know the history behind it.

On the law of averages - there will be other kids onboard - even if there are only a couple then the kids need to develop and enhance their social skills.

Do just do it!

That's my bit..

Cheers

Michael

I always love this topic, taking kids out of school for travel. I am in my 40s and was very fortunate to have parents who took me out of school in my teens to travel. Yeah, we had homework to make up. Yeah, the school didn't like it...But I remember the family time, the places we went, the historical and geographical things I learned to this day. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything! If you have the ability, go for it. Thirty years from now, your kids may be like me and saying the same thing to someone in this same situation!

Personally, I wouldn't recommend this as a first cruise for anyone. Better to try out your sea legs on a shorter cruise and one that may be with calmer seas.

As for going during late November and expecting kids onboard, just remember that in many school districts, it's getting harder to get unexcused absencies, considering that each school and district gets money from their state (at least here in California, that's how it works) based on daily attendance of each child. We actually have the entire Thanksgiving week off due to forced teachers' furloughs in the LAUSD. So I would imagine that many Southern California families may take advantage of that for a week long vacation. But a two-week one would not pass muster with many schools (we wouldn't be able to take our girl out of school -- other than for sickness or high school tours -- as she's in honors classes as well as in rehearsal for the school play; and many other kids here are in that same situation).

So if you want to ensure that other kids are onboard, try a seven day cruise during times that kids are out on break. There will be plenty of kids on the Hawaiian cruise in late December, but again, I wouldn't recommend it for your children until you are sure they would enjoy it. There are plenty of sea-day activities on this cruise, but some people just go crazy unless they see land every so often.

For my family, this cruise is great -- we love sea days, my hubby and daughter have no problem with sea motion (my girl went on her first cruise a few months before she was born:)) and I take lots of ginger with. I'm sure my daughter will be looking forward to her first cruise as a teen, and she'll go at a time when there should be plenty of teens onboard.

I asked the same question, as we are taking our adult (but young) children with us in April 2012.

By then, Sapphire will have finished drydock, and have MUTS and I think, International, so my kids chose Sapphire. (newer ship ??).

Anyway, we have taken the Hawaii itin twice--another line. There were few children, but the ones I saw with crew, seemed to be enjoying themselves.

There are alot of sea days even for adults. I'm ok, but DH is ready for port by the 4th day. We bring our favorite game (even tho' our ship had them). So maybe, they can bring a favorite thing. (as a carry-on if you're exceeding air weight.)

I think you will know what decision to make. :)

Pat

I know you said that finances are a consideration, but in your situation - especially because none of you has been to Hawaii before - I'd suggest you seriously consider a cheap air-and-hotel package to Hawaii instead. I've heard Hawaiian tourism is in a slump, so there should be plenty of bargains to Oahu, and though Waikiki can be something of a tourist trap, there's plenty there to keep both kids and adults of all ages happily occupied: great snorkeling, hiking, luaus, boat trips, and, well, enjoyable tourist traps. Because of the island's bus system, you won't even have to rent a car. Or, if you want something a little less hectic and a bit more expensive, the Big Island and Maui have a large range of kid-friendly activities. Save the kids' first cruise for a more port-intensive sailing with fewer sea days.

We have sailed RT to Hawaii 3 times now, all in the fall, and there just aren't as many kids onboard. We just took the 10 day to Mexico on Sea Princess with my kids and grandkids and at the first port the kids said "let me off this geriatric ship". But having said that they had fun with each other and with us too. You know your kids. We love the sea days but it is definately an older crowd. They will love the islands. Great memory making times.

The OP has just 1 4 night cruise under their belt.

Jumping to book a 14 nighter ,during the school year ,with lots of sea days ,for the kids first cruise , is daring , but OP knows her family best or they wouldn't be persuing this.

I'd be concerned about the likely shortage of other kids (especially for the teenagers).

They can always catch up with the schoolwork (or bring some with them).

But what "if" they discover 14 days is too long , after day 3 ?:confused:

Personally' date=' I wouldn't recommend this as a first cruise for anyone. Better to try out your sea legs on a shorter cruise and one that may be with calmer seas.

As for going during late November and expecting kids onboard, just remember that in many school districts, it's getting harder to get unexcused absencies, considering that each school and district gets money from their state (at least here in California, that's how it works) based on daily attendance of each child. We actually have the entire Thanksgiving week off due to forced teachers' furloughs in the LAUSD. So I would imagine that many Southern California families may take advantage of that for a week long vacation. But a two-week one would not pass muster with many schools (we wouldn't be able to take our girl out of school -- other than for sickness or high school tours -- as she's in honors classes as well as in rehearsal for the school play; and many other kids here are in that same situation).

So if you want to ensure that other kids are onboard, try a seven day cruise during times that kids are out on break. There will be plenty of kids on the Hawaiian cruise in late December, but again, I wouldn't recommend it for your children until you are sure they would enjoy it. There are plenty of sea-day activities on this cruise, but some people just go crazy unless they see land every so often.

For my family, this cruise is great -- we love sea days, my hubby and daughter have no problem with sea motion (my girl went on her first cruise a few months before she was born:)) and I take lots of ginger with. I'm sure my daughter will be looking forward to her first cruise as a teen, and she'll go at a time when there should be plenty of teens onboard.[/quote']

Sea sicknesses might be a big consideration. I believe it's called the California current that runs about 1/2 day off the coast of California, and it can be really rough for a day or so. Plus, I'm guessing that about half the cruisers get bored on sea days... especially first timers.

Your point about school systems is dead on. Our state does not allow excused absenses for travel, the kids get zeros on any missed work including tests.

But OP knows her situation the best. Just another warning about the rough seas especially for first timers.

Although as ours have gotten older (they and) we have wanted to avoid longer absences.

Teens are difficult to completely please under any circumstance (in school or out, ashore or at sea) so, so cruise if it has merits.

That itinerary can be sea rocky. Be prepared. Itmight not be, but it is more prone than other itineraries. A lot of sea days, so if some kids like to read, books (buy internet time).

Not been on Sapphire. Golden has the flying buttress stern lounge (shopping cart handle shape) which is pretty cool. This was deleted from later designs due for naval achitectural-engineering reasons (hull torque reduction). Both ships are similarly sized and configured otherwise (seen other posters notes on dining rooms).

Everyone in my family loves to cruise so the day count is a plus. I think that there are 8 days at sea on that cruise though 2x4 so it has stretches...

I took my daughter out of school for 8 days last year (then in 10th grade) for a Mediterranean cruise which included Egypt. It was wonderful and her teachers and the school were very supportive. She had lots of homework to do and spent most of her free time on the ship and on the plane on homework. It was a dream come true.

That said, she's now a Jr and wouldn't do it for this year or her Sr year. Maybe a week but certainly no more.

But agree there will be very few kids on a two week sailing even though one week is a holiday week. You also have 8 sea days on this sailing and that's a hugh amount of time to fill for kids.

With several cruises under her belt, my daughter would love to do the HI trip because she loves sea days. But these ships are older and do not have the large teen facilities. I think for a first exposure to cruising, I wouldn't take kids on a 14nighter with so many sea days and not many kids.

I'm so torn because for the cost I feel that I would be getting the most value out of the HI cruise, but at the same time I don't want to push it if the kids would be miserable by the end. My kids are pretty easy going and adapt well to new things in general, and they are almost always happy as long as we're out and about, but if they did have issues for whatever reason, 14 days would be a long time to make them suffer through it. I THINK it would be amazing and fun for them, but maybe I will look into going on a 7 day MR cruise instead. I will weigh my options for a while and talk to the schools about it and see what their take is. My oldest is in all honors classes too and I wouldn't want there to be any issues from the week that he would miss. I guess that I just figured that he could take his work with him and look at online tutorials if he needed extra help.

Thanks everyone for giving me both positive and negative things to consider. All of your advice will help me make a good educated decision, whatever that ends up to be. :)

Archived