Princess VS Carnival

paradoc1

Hello all, I have been a loyal Carnival customer but am considering a Princess, we are in our mid 50's and while we enjoy Carnival I thisk that we would enjoy a more mature crowd. First question is are there palced that we could dance that was not in the disco with rap and electro beat music. Second while I know that the food is subjective to taste is it better than normal Carnival fare. As far as the rooms how do they compare are they smaller than Carnival I have heard that they are and that the beds are not as comfortable. How are the onboard activities on sea days ( I hate hairy chest contests and such I can't geet durnk enought to watch them I guess) I guess I am just wanting a change but ot to go to a totally boring cruise any help would be great, thanks :D:D

FWIW here are a few of my thoughts

1) Rooims are a tad smaller, nothing hat was materially enough to distract or make it uncomfortable for us. We've done outside partial, inside, balcony and they worked for 2 and even 4 squeezed in.

2) Food, I agree subjective, we enjoyed both Carnival and Princess. I think princess slipped a bit on service on my most recent cruise but still acceptible for mass produced fine dining

3) Love the less in face "escape completly" versus carnival's in your face "fun" Hairy man contest on close circuit TV, waitress gyrating on tables dancing is not my idea of classy "fun." Experience on Carnival, love the fact not at all on Princess.

4) Music, live bands, shows, every thing from classic 60-90s is there on various nights/venues.

5) Sea days seem filled with much of the same. The just avoid the "fun" stuff

I think Carnival is a bit cheaper ( price ) but Princess has been money well spent IMHO.

Good luck planning!

Hello all, I have been a loyal Carnival customer but am considering a Princess, we are in our mid 50's and while we enjoy Carnival I thisk that we would enjoy a more mature crowd. First question is are there palced that we could dance that was not in the disco with rap and electro beat music. Second while I know that the food is subjective to taste is it better than normal Carnival fare. As far as the rooms how do they compare are they smaller than Carnival I have heard that they are and that the beds are not as comfortable. How are the onboard activities on sea days ( I hate hairy chest contests and such I can't geet durnk enought to watch them I guess) I guess I am just wanting a change but ot to go to a totally boring cruise any help would be great, thanks :D:D

Princess is a great cruise line. While we have only taken one Carnival cruise (and would never go on one again) - we have cruised with a lot of other cruise lines and Princess, Celebrity and HAL get our business for entirely different reasons.

Princess has something for everyone - food is great - dining is easy - there are wonderful adult areas on the ship and we can make the cruise what we want it to be. The ships are beautiful (we like the Grand class) - and we sail with them a good bit.

HAL is more subdued - but food excellent and it is a great relaxing cruise. They have some smaller ships and we enjoy our time with them.

Celebrity is a cut above - outstanding dining - beautiful ships - great service - if they would just come up with an itinerary that we want - that would be great - but we cruise with them for the ships -

We started cruising when it was really cruising (relaxing) instead of being entertained all the time - and we try to keep our cruises that way - we love to cruise - but only on ships that we adore!!!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of detailed replies about the differences so here's a simple one beyond good service & food on both: :)

Carnival is Vegas glitz & glamour... Princess is more of a subdued elegance but is more upbeat than their sister line Holland American. :cool:

Hello!

I just returned a few weeks ago from my first Princess cruise, having done 3 Carnival cruises, we too wanted to try a new line. Glad we did. But still Carnival is my fav.

The rooms on princess are a tad smaller but are actually set up nicer and look better, you really cant tell there is a size diff. BUT the beds are very uncomfortable and the shower is TINY!!!

WE enjoyed the food on Princess just as much on Carnival.

Now im not sure how to say this but as far as daytime activies on sea days, they were kind of boring or not much going on, not to our liking, but other people may find them good.

The production shows were just bad imo, no wow factor there, and the times of the shows changed every night so it was kind of hard to plan dinner/shows etc.

As far as dancing, i saw a few places on princess that offered diff kinds of dancing on diferent nights.

Go for it, and have fun, u will enojoy it. I will sail Princess again, but on a Carribbean cruise.

David

We are in our 50's and have cruised Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and Princess - loved them all for different reasons.

Here's my brief comparison of Carnival and Princess -

Carnival pool area - Louder, tables not kept clean as quickly, more people eating by the pool. We have seldom seen glasses/plates sitting on stairs/in hallways on Princess. That said, we have enjoyed our Carnival cruises.

We love that Carnival's newer ships have the Mongolian Grill and The Deli. Princess doesn't have these, but they do have the International Cafe - we enjoy it very much. Princess and Carnival both have the hamburger/grill area and pizza.

Princess dining room doesn't seem as hectic - nor do the pool areas. The addtional aft pool at back of Princess ship is a nice feature.

Princess ships have plenty of activity going on, just a more relaxed atmosphere onboard. There are nice areas for dancing.

We like to try a different cruise line for the adventure of something new.

Hope this helped and have a great time whichever you choose!

Pam in KY

Have been on both lines more than once.Enjoyed them all.Will go on both lines again:).The biggest differance we have noticed between the two lines are the people.The princess crowd is a bit older and come across as thinking they are better than you.Not really a big deal to us-just need to be aware of this.If you dont bring a full suit and evening gown on formal nite,your not really welcomed ay any of the venus that nite.Now dont get me wrong-we like princess and are booking them again for our next cruise.Just be aware it's not the same crowd your used to cruising with on carnival.

Have fun on your next cruise:o

I have a girlfriend who only travels Carnival while I went once - ONCE - and it didn't suit me at all -- gaudy decor, smoking everywhere, tacky servers doing the dancing in the aisles on command dinner 'shows.' To each his own, I guess, but I would never go on Carnival again.

Have been on both lines more than once.Enjoyed them all.Will go on both lines again:).The biggest differance we have noticed between the two lines are the people.The princess crowd is a bit older and come across as thinking they are better than you.Not really a big deal to us-just need to be aware of this.If you dont bring a full suit and evening gown on formal nite,your not really welcomed ay any of the venus that nite.Now dont get me wrong-we like princess and are booking them again for our next cruise.Just be aware it's not the same crowd your used to cruising with on carnival.

I'm afraid I disagree with your opinion of the people on Princess Cruises. We have never run into anyone that, in our opinion, thought they were better than us. As far as the formal nights, we always eat in the main dining room and we have seen people show up in shorts on a formal night and they are allowed in.

Princess is a great cruise line. While we have only taken one Carnival cruise (and would never go on one again) - we have cruised with a lot of other cruise lines and Princess, Celebrity and HAL get our business for entirely different reasons.

Princess has something for everyone - food is great - dining is easy - there are wonderful adult areas on the ship and we can make the cruise what we want it to be. The ships are beautiful (we like the Grand class) - and we sail with them a good bit.

HAL is more subdued - but food excellent and it is a great relaxing cruise. They have some smaller ships and we enjoy our time with them.

Celebrity is a cut above - outstanding dining - beautiful ships - great service - if they would just come up with an itinerary that we want - that would be great - but we cruise with them for the ships -

We started cruising when it was really cruising (relaxing) instead of being entertained all the time - and we try to keep our cruises that way - we love to cruise - but only on ships that we adore!!!

I agree. I would love to try some of the new S class ships but Princess still holds the edge with better itineraries.....

Bob

Having weeded through 1500 cruises and picked Diamond I'd say elegance was a priority, I think you should have to go to Horizon if you dont have a shirt and tie for "FORMAL" night but I was misled into believing formal meant dressed up. Guess it means Farmer Brown dressed up in your best OSKOSH by GOSH! Never been on Celebrity but liked NCL on Thanksgiving, good service and nice people.

We have been on both Carnival and Princess, so a couple of personal observetions. Tha ordinary cabins an Princess are 10sq Ft smaller than Carnival but the 10 ft went to a larger Balcony. We read complaints about he beds but found our very confortable four pillows top[ sheets which some said weasn't there. Loved the International with it's specialty coffee (extra cost) its pastries sandwiches free. The passergers appeared to be an older crowd aand very friendly to us. We also loved the buffer with the crew bringing you the coffee . Buffet was also open 24/7 unike Carnival who close at 8PM. Also hambergers hot dogs and puizza available. MDR was more formal then Carnival, no waiters dancing in the isles. Very neat and clean in MDR and buffet areas. Embarking and later getting off the ship was smother and quicked that Carnival. One last thing is you can't check you Foleo, expanse account on the TV like on Carnival it's delivered on the last night or you can get it at the pursers dsk in person. Whichever company you chose enjot your crise.icon14.gif

I think you would enjoy Princess. Now, I love Carnival but there are just too many kids on it for me anymore.

Yes, Princess cabins are smaller than Carnival but it really doesnt make that much of a difference. They are still well appointed and have everything you need.

One of the biggest complaints I have about Princess is their beds. They are rock hard. You can get a egg crate pad from the room steward but they help very little.

Princess has pool games, trivia etc during the day. Food is about the same. I think entertainment is about the same as well. What I like is that Princess doesnt have as many kids usually. (Just avoid Spring break and Christmas)

Try Princess and make your own comparison. Have a great cruise whatever you decide to do. :D

Have been on both lines more than once.Enjoyed them all.Will go on both lines again:).The biggest differance we have noticed between the two lines are the people.The princess crowd is a bit older and come across as thinking they are better than you.

YIKES! I cruise on Princess and I don't think I am better than others>>>

:(

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like it may be worth a try, I have found several carrib trips that sound good and are better ports. We love a balcony room and like sitting out there in the morning with coffee and the evening with drinks. One other question is since we are Platinum on carnival do they have the same perks on Princess I have been told yes but I would like to hear it from those who have the same status. thanks again and keep them comming

I have cruised with Princess 9 times so far, and have 2 more booked. I have never been on a Carnival ship, and probably never will be, because I do not like "hairy chest" contest type of activities, nor do I think I would like gaudy decors that some Carnival ships are reported to have.

The easiest way I can think of to describe the Princess style of cruising is that Princess is classy, without being snobby. Most of the ship's decors are done in light woods and cool pastel colors. The exceptions to that are the few "small ships" that are part of the Princess fleet, that have dark woods and darker color furnishings.

There are all classes of passengers on Princess ships, from those on a tight budget to those who are accustomed to and can afford the very best. And they seem to blend well together.

Since food is such a subjective topic, I can only say that from my perspective, Princess menus are varied, and I have always enjoyed the meals in the dining rooms as well as the offerings in the buffet. And Princess bakes wonderful breads and rolls!

I hope you decide to give Princess a try. That's the only way you can decide if Princess is a good fit for you.

One other question is since we are Platinum on carnival do they have the same perks on Princess I have been told yes but I would like to hear it from those who have the same status. thanks again and keep them comming

Sorry, but you start again from basic status on Princess - your Carnival status does not count.

Likewise, Carnival give us nothing for our Princess "Elite" status.

The princess crowd is a bit older and come across as thinking they are better than you.Not really a big deal to us-just need to be aware of this.If you dont bring a full suit and evening gown on formal nite,your not really welcomed ay any of the venus that nite.

Well, you know, we each and every one of us pass judgments on other people. I read your statement, for instance, as "I'm a nicer human being than the hoity-toity snobs I've met on Princess." And, of course, generalizing as you do is...well, pretty general.

One reason I continue to cruise Princess is because I find the passengers to be so diverse. I've met a few people onboard I've found, for one reason or another, to be unappetizing, many people I've enjoyed spending sea days with, and some folks who've become friends we continue to socialize with onshore. That's in the nature of being plunked down among a couple of thousand strangers, right? And I also know that my own attitude plays a major part in how other people will treat me. The people I've hung out with on Princess tend to be genteel without being snobby, well traveled, open minded, gay positive, intelligent, often somewhat nonconformist, and the sort who value a great game of trivia over dancing waiters and bar stools shaped like zebras. I understand that's all a matter of taste. But the only people I've met onboard I truly feel "better than" are those who are egregiously self centered, openly prejudiced, or proudly ignorant...and there have been blessedly few of any of those.

By the bye, on my four Princess cruises thus far, most women on formal nights were not in what I'd regard as full-blown "evening gowns." Most men were, though, properly attired in dark suits or tuxes, and I, in my snobby, "better than" way, were happy for that. However, as others here constantly point out, any of the dining venues besides the MDR will welcome pax not formally dressed.

Well, you know, we each and every one of us pass judgments on other people. I read your statement, for instance, as "I'm a nicer human being than the hoity-toity snobs I've met on Princess." And, of course, generalizing as you do is...well, pretty general.

One reason I continue to cruise Princess is because I find the passengers to be so diverse. I've met a few people onboard I've found, for one reason or another, to be unappetizing, many people I've enjoyed spending sea days with, and some folks who've become friends we continue to socialize with onshore. That's in the nature of being plunked down among a couple of thousand strangers, right? And I also know that my own attitude plays a major part in how other people will treat me. The people I've hung out with on Princess tend to be genteel without being snobby, well traveled, open minded, gay positive, intelligent, often somewhat nonconformist, and the sort who value a great game of trivia over dancing waiters and bar stools shaped like zebras. I understand that's all a matter of taste. But the only people I've met onboard I truly feel "better than" are those who are egregiously self centered, openly prejudiced, or proudly ignorant...and there have been blessedly few of any of those.

By the bye, on my four Princess cruises thus far, most women on formal nights were not in what I'd regard as full-blown "evening gowns." Most men were, though, properly attired in dark suits or tuxes, and I, in my snobby, "better than" way, were happy for that. However, as others here constantly point out, any of the dining venues besides the MDR will welcome pax not formally dressed.

Well said...thanks. :)

One other question is since we are Platinum on carnival do they have the same perks on Princess I have been told yes but I would like to hear it from those who have the same status. thanks again and keep them comming
Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America, Princess, Cunard, Windstar, etc., are all owned by a holding company, Carnival Corporation & Plc. The only connection between Carnival Cruise Lines and Proncess is that they are both owned by the same company. There is no exchange of credits or loyalty program recognition between any of the lines other than between Princess and P&O because before P&O was bought by Carnival Corp., P&O owned Princess and there was cross-recognition between these two lines.

Thats the long answer. The short one is, "No. No recognition of past loyalty programs between cruiselines." Which is the way it should be because of the differences in cruise lengths offered by each cruiseline.

I've sailed both and while I enjoyed my Carnival cruise, it's been Princess that I have returned to when I am able to cruise. The average age is a bit older on Princess than Carnival, but I found a good mix of ages on both lines (and of course the itinerary affects the average age on each sailing). Carnival does have the soft serve ice cream available all day (unless that is changed), while Princess has only scooped ice cream that is just available at formal lunch and dinner and for a short time each afternoon.

I've found the shows to be good on both lines and although the Carnival rooms are definitely larger, the Princess ones are much less gaudy (as noted by someone else above) and have a much better use of space. Generally you won't find towel animals on Princess, either (if that is important to you).

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you try Princess and you can always go back if it's not your thing.

Carnival does have the soft serve ice cream available all day (unless that is changed), while Princess has only scooped ice cream that is just available at formal lunch and dinner and for a short time each afternoon.

Princess now has free soft serve ice cream for most of the day.

Archived