Laptop...Is it secure in carryon? Boarding question!

fl_couple

We will be sailiing tomorrow and have a question about the security of luggage turned over for check in at the port. My laptop will be in my carry on bag, and am wondering if we should keep it with us, or just check it in.

I don't like the thought of rolling it around while we have lunch or explore the ship while waiting for our room to be available.

Can you tell me if I should be concerned with it being safe? Thanks!!

I always carry my laptop with me...next to DW and my passport it is my most valuable possession (oops, forgot my iPad). Not that I think you would have a problem with anyone on the crew taking it, every now and then a piece of luggage drops into the water while loading...not good. JMHO...

I would keep it with me as well. It's just too fragile and there's too much that can happen to it. If carrying a large carryon I'd want to put it is some kind of smaller bag and keep it with me while checking the other stuff. Do you have a really small backpack or an old HAL tote bag? I think either would be perfect.

Roy

I would not check it in at pierside - but if you do not want to haul it around with you while you eat or explore the ship, you do have a couple of options

If you are in a Deluxe Suite, you may take your bags to the Neptune Lounge and leave there. It is a very safe option.

Another safe option is there is a baggage hold area off the Lido pool. Your bag/bags are tagged and you are given a claim check. They will hold your luggage until a certain time (usually when rooms are ready). this will give you hands free - or minor baggage to worry about while you roam.

The 3rd option is to board later and go straight to your cabin (normal time they are ready is 1:30ish--though not guarenteed)

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the great suggestions...and it will be coming with us if even in a smaller bag! This is our first HAL cruise, so I will have to acquire a HAL bag for future use!

Just a few last things left to pack. I wish I could take my own advice of bringing half as many clothes and twice as much money! :D

I see you've already agreed that you should keep it with you. I would trust the ship's stewards to get it to your cabin, but it may not even get to them ... it may not make it out of the terminal building.

Once in my cabin, though, I never worry about my netbook, and just leave it unsecured on the desk. Some people would say that a passenger passing by when the door is left open by your steward, or a maintenance crew member, may swipe it, but IMO that's a pretty remote possibility.

My laptop lives in my backpack, which is my carryon. I also bring a padded slip case and can then tuck it in there to take to explorations or wherever. It flew back with me in it's padded sleeve tucked in my "purse" tote when I filled the backpack. I checked my backpack - sans laptop- at the pier.

I don't always cruise with my laptop but when I do I never feel unsafe with it being in our room. I usually just keep it in our backpack.

I got DH this travel laptop backback recently and loves it. Laptop backpacks are nothing new but with this one you do NOT have to take it out when going through TSA security. And these days anything to speed you along is helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OC5JKY/ref=oss_product

We always have our laptop when we cruise and it is not a problem. When we board a ship we keep our laptop (in our carryon luggage) and once we are onboard we simply lock it in our cabin. We never understood why folks get on a ship and rush right to the buffet (there is more then enough time to eat on any cruise). One complication can occur on some cruise lines such as RCI where they often will not let passengers into the cabin areas until 1pm, but this has never happened to us on HA.

Hank

I see you've already agreed that you should keep it with you. I would trust the ship's stewards to get it to your cabin, but it may not even get to them ... it may not make it out of the terminal building.

Once in my cabin, though, I never worry about my netbook, and just leave it unsecured on the desk. Some people would say that a passenger passing by when the door is left open by your steward, or a maintenance crew member, may swipe it, but IMO that's a pretty remote possibility.

Agree. Call me foolish but when we board to do radio shows we have expensive broadcasting equipment with us. No problem yet in leaving it in the room. If it went missing, you better believe I would be telling security to review the tape!

One complication can occur on some cruise lines such as RCI where they often will not let passengers into the cabin areas until 1pm, but this has never happened to us on HA.

Hank

:confused::confused: We've never been allowed into our cabin before 1:00p on any HAL ship.

I understand what you are concerned about, as we usually carry on our camera gear in a large backpack(minus the tripod it gets checked). I don't trust checking that much gear for the above reasons, and usually just carry it around until 1ish when the cabin is ready. We generally head to the lido for a bit and take a window seat where the bag can sit out of the way while we have a snack and relax.

Things I never let out of my sight and always carry on in my briefcase &/or satchel or in a coat pocket - whether boarding an Airplane or the Ship:

• Telephone
  • iPod
  • Laptop
  • Jewelry/Watches
  • Medications
  • Tickets
  • Passport
  • Wallet(s)
  • Keys
  • Camera
  • Chocolates (I just had to include this one for Ruth!!!) :)

Archived