ms russ

marco_polo11

When does your flight get into Moscow, Ansie? Can you arrange an extra transfer into town with your travel agent? If you're getting in early, it would be a shame to be "stuck" on the boat when there aren't many people on it yet. You could sure join K and I if you could arrange transport into the city.

I'm sorry you feel so poorly. I hope the anti-biotic kicks in soon!

My power "step-down" converter and extension cord arrived in the mail today! My International phone should arrive by Fed Ex anytime today.

1 week!

I Get into Moscow on the 7th July and we have a trf to the hotel that is sorted its in St P that we cant just go off on our own on a walk from the ship because its so far from the city ctr. But once im at the hotel there we have a pvt tour guide that we have pre booked. Its just the last 2 days of the cruise that we are stuck on the ship at night.

Thanks for the concern girl. :-) I went back to my doc and got a stronger anti biotic and more cough syryp so i should be ok by next week. Keep holding thumbs .

We are on 220v so my elec stuff should be ok. see you soooooon

Gotcha. I'm in the process of working out transfers for Moscow and St Pete's with my TA today. We leave Russia the day the cruise ends, but we disembark in the morning and our flight isn't until 6:30PM. I'd love to be able to spend those hours in the city as opposed to the airport! So it;s just a matter of where to stash the luggage (probably train station) and have our transfer get us (probably train station, lol).

Feel better soon. My thumbs are tired from so much holding! :D

Gotcha. I'm in the process of working out transfers for Moscow and St Pete's with my TA today. We leave Russia the day the cruise ends, but we disembark in the morning and our flight isn't until 6:30PM. I'd love to be able to spend those hours in the city as opposed to the airport! So it;s just a matter of where to stash the luggage (probably train station) and have our transfer get us (probably train station, lol).

Maybe the ship will keep it for you?

Thanks for all the thumb holding but dont let go just yet im still not feeling any better.

Now the meds have given me high blood pressure but doc says alls well I must just ride the storm for now.

Ansie~ I'm still holding thumbs. Feel better, girlie! In a few hours I go to the bank to collect my Euros and Rubles. Yay!

Coral~ My TA said that we don't have to disembark in the morning, that technically we can stay on the ship until we leave for our flight. Our airport transfer is getting us at 3 that afternoon. TA said we could walk to the train station and take the train into St Pete's, that it's 6 stops on the same line, so pretty easy to navigate. So we plan to leave our luggage there on the ship and have some fun in the city!

Papa~ thanks for the tip, I've added it to my list. I'm sure it's a common issue when folks are eating different kinds of foods than they're used to and eating at odd times after switching major time zones.

Just a few more days... :cool:

Anyone planning a river cruise to Russia should plan on taking a packet of Imodium. I don't think the food is bad, but it is different from our normal diet.

Thanks for the warning. Imodium is now on my packing list.

Ansie~ do you know your room assignment yet? I'm trying to figure mine out! They gave me a room number, but it's not showing up on any of the ship plans that I've looked at. Maybe my room is in one of the lifeboats, lol!:eek:

Seriously, I think we might be assigned to one of the quad rooms on the lower deck (even though we're booked as a double). This can be good, as the rooms are a bit bigger (term used loosely). But we probably only have a porthole instead of a window. Maybe this is good too though because during the white nights our room will be darker, right?

Lisa

Ansie~ do you know your room assignment yet? I'm trying to figure mine out! They gave me a room number, but it's not showing up on any of the ship plans that I've looked at. Maybe my room is in one of the lifeboats, lol!:eek:

Seriously, I think we might be assigned to one of the quad rooms on the lower deck (even though we're booked as a double). This can be good, as the rooms are a bit bigger (term used loosely). But we probably only have a porthole instead of a window. Maybe this is good too though because during the white nights our room will be darker, right?

Lisa

Hi Lisa No i dont have a room number but I booked a double on the boat deck I hope that they give me what Ive paid for.

Ok guys you can let go those thumbs now ive taken a turn for the better I am officialy on the mend YAY!!!!!! Now just to get the last few things done and get on my flight on Friday.

Yay! I'm glad you're better! My thumbs are so relieved! ;)

I wanted to find out my room number to make it easier to meet up. Since we booked thorugh different companies, we aren't likely to share any tours. So I thought it might be fun if we could be at the same table for meals- unless they assign us seats. Anyway, haven't heard back from our TA on clarification on our room- probably won't until Monday now. The only guarantee is that Kaylie and I are in steerage, lol! :eek:

I can't believe our flight leaves on Wednesday! That's 4 days! A week from today we'll be an Amsterdam! That is just weird... :D

Yay! I'm glad you're better! My thumbs are so relieved! ;)

I wanted to find out my room number to make it easier to meet up. Since we booked thorugh different companies, we aren't likely to share any tours. So I thought it might be fun if we could be at the same table for meals- unless they assign us seats. Anyway, haven't heard back from our TA on clarification on our room- probably won't until Monday now. The only guarantee is that Kaylie and I are in steerage, lol! :eek:

I can't believe our flight leaves on Wednesday! That's 4 days! A week from today we'll be an Amsterdam! That is just weird... :D

We must try to be at the same table for meals that will be cool but while we are on the river there will also be time to chat I think. Our cabin is a small one no luxury but its near the top of the ship so I hope it gives me a better view.

Amsterdam is beautiful you will love it but dont have any of the biscuits in the coffee shops they could be laced with marawana. LOL :-) I call them space cookies.

LOL~ yes, Kaylie and I keep joking about the "Bitter Better Brownies" (as we call them), ha ha! Everyone keeps asking us if we're going to go into the coffee houses to smoke a joint. We did discuss it, but as I told my daughter, as crazy and adventurous as I can be- and as legal as it is- I just don't feel right taking my 20 year old daughter to smoke and get high. This is usually followed by the disclaimer: But you know I've got to have a chocolate brownie... :D:eek::D

I agree, there should be plenty of time to hook up and chat. Finding each other will be the challenge. Personally, I don't want to knock on every door or walk down the halls yelling, "ANNNNNN-SIEEEEEEEE!!!" I will say I've done crazier things, but I've promised myself to practice decorum as much as possible. Just to see if I can. :p

My anti-biotic scrips came in the mail yesterday, so I'll fill those today or tomorrow. I've got a small list for WalMart & Dollar Store: Immodium, vitamins, nose strips, extra camera battery, mini ice cube trays, door organizer, Pirate scarf, etc.

3 Days! Unbelieveable!

Pixie-I'm so excited for you and your daughter. What a memorable time for the two of you. You leave day after day after tomorrow!

We're sailing on the MS Zosima Shashkov, a sister ship of the MS Russ. Did you MS Russ passengers get your cabin assignments in advance? Am wondering if we will, or will get our cabin assignment when we board.

1965~ We fly on Wednesday, just after lunch. We're missing the 4th of July, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it. :cool: I'm so excited too! Kaylie and I were talking about it just an hour ago before she left for work. She's been juggling two jobs for a year and a half so rarely gets a full day off. She's ready for some down time and adventure!

Unlike me, who has to research everything in advance and study it ad nasuem, she wants to be surprised. She knows the tours we're taking and where we're staying, but she doesn't want to see pictures or know too much. Night and day we are! She's been down-loading songs onto her mp3 player for the flights. We've also been discussing the fact we'll both be too hyper to sleep the night before- which should make sleeping on the flight easier!

I knew we were on the lower level (steerege, lol) based on the price we booked. I did get our assignment, but the number doesn't jive with the ships plans that I have. So I've asked my TA for clarification. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. I'll know for sure when we get there, lol!

Maybe we're on cots in the laundry room... :eek:

You can be sure that when I report, you'll be over informed. I tend to make detailed photo diaries of our trips. I relieve them for years and years!

Pixie-We, too, are in steerage. We usually are on any cruise. The less we spend on the cabin, the more we have for another trip. Like you, I tend to plan and research til I'm crosseyed. The planning and research are a big part of the enjoyment for me. I'm looking forward to your trip report. While in Amsterdam, will you visit the Anne Frank Museum? I think it's the attic where she actually hid with her family. We only got to see it in passing while on a canalboat going through town a few years ago.

1965~ Oh yeah, I bought our tickets back in May. We'll actually see that the 1st day we're there. Our flight gets in at 6:30AM. We have the first part of the day to settle in, get some groceries for the houseboat, take a nap, etc. Then we have a canal cruise that begins and ends right in front of the Anne Frank House mid afternoon. We'll visit the house at 5 and then go to the Hard Rock cafe to finish the day. We paid for everything in advance. We'll also travel to Haarlem a couple of days later to visit the Corrie Ten Boom house. She was a Christian woman who along with her family hid and assisted many Jews during the war. If you've never read The Hiding Place, it's an amazing book! We'll also visit Het Dolhuis (The Nuthouse) which is a museum in an old mental hospital that is dedicated to mental illness through the ages. Thats one of our "non-touristy" things.

I can't believe we're so close now! :D

Pixiegirl, please post EVERYTHING when you get back. I will be leaving in 5 weeks and (like you) need to research everything.

Have a great time. Amsterdam is wonderful. We have traveled with our adult daughter also and it is a special time. Enjoy it!

For sure, rollingstone! As much as I can I'll be posting pictures and commentary on Facebook for friends and family as we go. If you or anybody else wants to follow along I'm Lisa Bice Rank. Just message me a little note so I know who you are!

Don't know if I'll have time to post again before I go. If not, I'll see ya all when we get back!

See you in a few days, Ansie! Safe travels!

LOL~ yes, Kaylie and I keep joking about the "Bitter Better Brownies" (as we call them), ha ha! Everyone keeps asking us if we're going to go into the coffee houses to smoke a joint. We did discuss it, but as I told my daughter, as crazy and adventurous as I can be- and as legal as it is- I just don't feel right taking my 20 year old daughter to smoke and get high. This is usually followed by the disclaimer: But you know I've got to have a chocolate brownie... :D:eek::D

I agree, there should be plenty of time to hook up and chat. Finding each other will be the challenge. Personally, I don't want to knock on every door or walk down the halls yelling, "ANNNNNN-SIEEEEEEEE!!!" I will say I've done crazier things, but I've promised myself to practice decorum as much as possible. Just to see if I can. :p

My anti-biotic scrips came in the mail yesterday, so I'll fill those today or tomorrow. I've got a small list for WalMart & Dollar Store: Immodium, vitamins, nose strips, extra camera battery, mini ice cube trays, door organizer, Pirate scarf, etc.

3 Days! Unbelieveable!

Lisa maybe we can meet at the boat reception at say 6pm on the first night aboard then we wont need to scream everyone awake LOL.

Enjoy Amsterdam see you both soon.

That sounds like a plan! If I'm NOT there, it's because I'm stuck in Moscow traffic still. We're due to leave at 4 from our hotel, so I'd like to think we'll be there. If not, I'll be there at 7! Otherwise, by room assignment is N-62 Lower deck. I assume we can probably ask the reception people what rooms people are in. Either way, I'll be at the desk at 6 or 7 (if I'm late).

I'm off to WalMart to fill prescriptions and get my nose strips and some microwave lunches for my son!

Eek! We leave in the morning! :eek: I can't believe it! I just can't believe this is really happening!

See ya in a few days!

Hi, I just saw a river cruise listed on the MS Zosima Shashkov for next May that caught my attention - it's 10 nights on the Volga -- possibly the same cruise you'll be taking. The ship looks a bit iffy and very Russian, so I'm wondering if it will be adequate for our American tastes. Of course, when in Russia -- I want to experience Russia, but not to the extent that I'm uncomfortable :p I'd love to hear all about your cruise, because the Gate 1 Travel price of $1,799 for May 24 for the cruise and a number of guided tours sounds fairly decent, considering we're talking Russia :rolleyes:

Anywho, if you'd email me at joyfulwriter@hotmail.com with info on the cruise, I'd be so thrilled. I don't do cruise critic or anything else that works with "threads" as I don't understand them very well (you'd think I could learn).

Hope your cruise was all you'd hoped it would be! Thanks! Sandra

1965~ We fly on Wednesday, just after lunch. We're missing the 4th of July, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it. :cool: I'm so excited too! Kaylie and I were talking about it just an hour ago before she left for work. She's been juggling two jobs for a year and a half so rarely gets a full day off. She's ready for some down time and adventure!

Unlike me, who has to research everything in advance and study it ad nasuem, she wants to be surprised. She knows the tours we're taking and where we're staying, but she doesn't want to see pictures or know too much. Night and day we are! She's been down-loading songs onto her mp3 player for the flights. We've also been discussing the fact we'll both be too hyper to sleep the night before- which should make sleeping on the flight easier!

I knew we were on the lower level (steerege, lol) based on the price we booked. I did get our assignment, but the number doesn't jive with the ships plans that I have. So I've asked my TA for clarification. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. I'll know for sure when we get there, lol!

Maybe we're on cots in the laundry room... :eek:

You can be sure that when I report, you'll be over informed. I tend to make detailed photo diaries of our trips. I relieve them for years and years!

stella benson-We're booked on Zosima Shashkov May 3, 2013, through Gate 1. It's 12 days on the River Svir and the Volga, St. Petersburg to Moscow. We got a brochure in the mail with a special price of $1499 pp if booked before July 20. You have to know promo code RCB200. I called to do the booking rather than online, and also had them do our air. I've searched the Shashkov online, and it looks plenty nice enough for us. No luxury, but comfy. No cabin TV, but we do have radio. The bathroom has a marine shower. It has a dining restaurant, a bar/restaurant, and another bar, gift shop. Like you, we say, "When in Russia... ."

Archived