ms russ

marco_polo11

Dear 1965,

I strongly suggest you do some research about Russian in winter, since May 3 is really early for some of the ports on the Volga. It could be difficult to navigate through ice to dock.

Sheila

Dear 1965,

I strongly suggest you do some research about Russian in winter, since May 3 is really early for some of the ports on the Volga. It could be difficult to navigate through ice to dock.

Sheila

When on our Russian River cruise last Summer, our program manager told us that there were ice problems in May one year that led to cancellation of some of the ports.

You can never tell with the weather can you. This year the May sailling was warmer than ours at the beginning of June.

The radio just plays Russian muzakto wake you up. It`s not something you can control apart from turning it down.

If the averages hold, we're safe. But we know that can be a risky time weatherwise. In the fine print we're advised that the May 3 departure will not visit the island of Kizhi. I'm sure it's because of ice in that inlet. The price was good, and that is a good time of year for us to be away. If we get icebound in Russia, we'll call it an adventure. We're mostly cruising on the Svir River. I hadn't heard of it before now.

Having just returned from an early June cruise, just make sure you bring lots of layers. We were in fleece sweatshirts with hoods and rain jackets with hoods. And under that we had long sleeve light-weight sweaters. We did get away with jeans, but could have done with some light-weight long-johns. The Svir is nice, but the Volga-Baltic canal is even more scenic I think, and is south of the Svir on the way to Moscow. That's where the ports of Goritsy/Kirillov Monastery, Yaroslavl (which has a GREAT local market), and Uglich are. Don't know if you're stopping in the exact same places, but you'll have a great time. Kizhi is fantastic, but only one port, so you'll still get to see the rest.

We are going the last week of Aug. I know that the ports will not be iced in LOL but I suppose that the weather will be getting colder. Anyone have any experience with this time of year?

Yes, our Vantage tour, including the river cruise was in the last half of August and into early September. We started in Kiev, the Moscow, river cruise, St. Pete then the Baltics. The weather was pretty nice with very little rain. I think we were lucky on that end.

Temps in Kiev were perfect and it got cooler as we moved North. It started to get chilly on the river cruise, especially in Kizhii Island. Still, a light jacket in the evening was all that was require in the North.

Just finished our cruise on the Vodhod 'MS Lenin', similar if not identical to the 'MS Russ'. Agree with most of the comments on this thread.

We wish that we had taken those little drink packets with us so that the on-board water would have been more palatable.

Big shock was seeing ourselves in 'showering mode' in the mirror - ugh! ;)

Hi,

I am cruising Sept 22, 2012 on the Shaskov. Can anyone tell me if there are safes in the rooms to store valuables?

Many thanks!

We're sailing on her in May. I hope you'll post a travel report. We were scheduled to depart May 3. Got a call a few days ago that it was cancelled and we had been rebooked for May 24, if that was OK with us, and with no extra cost to us since it was their cancellation. :D

On the Tolstoi (also owned by Vodahod) in June there were safes in each room closet. But wait, there's more. They are a joke. They are small locking safes like people buy for their home closet. They are not attached to anything so you just take it out of the closet, set it door side up and unlock it to put things in or out. Also they charge you a one time fee of about ten dollars to help you set up a combination. Nice thought but it really only good for stashing a few small items to keep them from getting lost in the clutter you will amass on every other surface in your cabin.

TEB3

Many thanks for the information.

What's the best way to keep one's cash safe while on the ship? Are folks generally people relying on ATM access?

It's a crucial question for me as I am traveling solo on this trip and want to be prepared.

Sincerely,

Nina

I really didn't see a lot of people on our cruise using ATM's. On board, you use the onboard credit card. We just used the on board card and then you pay your tab with a credit card when you leave the boat. (They don't take cash at check out.) If you want to pay cash at the ship's bars, its Roubles or Euros but they have trouble making change.

If you're changing flights in Frankfurt, pay for your Brat und Booze with a CC or USD. If you use the USD, you'll get change in Euros. Also, you can do USD to Roubles there at the Exchange booths.

Several things to remember. Only Euros, Roubles and then Credit Cards are "legal" for exchange in Russia. Mainly its because the Russian Government has a controlled currency that means most countries won't accept Roubles in international exchange. Reality is get Roubles at the airport as you leave from someone like Travelex Currency Exchange (you can buy them online from them prior to leaving) since depending on your departure airport, they may not have any Roubles on hand. Once you get Roubles even at your arrival airport, you only want smaller denomination bills. YOU DO NOT WANT 5,000.00 notes - no one has change. In fact you have trouble in using the 500.00 notes. Coins are a joke and referred to and "children's money". If you go to the Peter and Paul Fortress in SP, the ground is covered with coins. People simply throw them on the ground. Stoop over and pick up a few to bring back just for show and tell.

Little note to remember, don't use your CC to buy any currency at an Exchange Company or even a foreign bank. Why, because your CC company will bill you for using a "cash advance" not making a purchase - read the small print!

Dollar wise (US), we carried about 750.00 converted into Roubles and the same amount in 10's and twenties. The other couple exchanged about 200.00 into Roubles and carried the rest in US, 500 of it in ones (which is a wad of paper) and then tens and twenties. CC's were only used at a couple of restaurants and the final bill on the boat. Both my wife and I and the other couple just split the cash up between ourselves - our friends had much bigger pockets full of money because of the ones than we did.

And yes, I did use a money belt but the main thing is a wallet you carry in your front pocket.

Plus no one ever turned down US $ for tips, etc. especially tour guides and drivers.

Oh, both us and our friends came home with cash left over to stash for the next adventure.

Just go with your own comfort zone and use common sense from a security standpoint. Plus remember that now on your flights you can't pay cash for their overpriced snacks or drinks, even if its Euros.

TEB3

Taphappy, We sailed on the Russ on June 19 from Moscow to St. Pete. We took enough $ for our tips. The ship provided and envelope to put this in and then kept it in the the ship safe (done at registration desk). We got it back the last day of the cruise but would have had access at any time. Really didn't need any money right away as we had pre-arranged transfer. Used US$s to tip the van driver. Used ATM's in Moscow and St. Pete (guess if we had planned better might have only used one instead of 2) but they generally have less fees than the airport. Our on board English speaking guide took us to ATMs in GUM on our 1st tour in Moscow. Did get a 5,000 ruble note but used it towards our tips and took our extra $s home. The ship gave us a suggested tip schedule. The ruble amount was less than the $ amount as the exchange rate is now about 32 rubles per $ when we were there. Didn't buy much but used credit card in both places with no problem and actually got better exchange rate than if we had changed money. Used credit card for purchases on the ship.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise. Ours was fabulous!

Hi,

Thanks everyone - I feel better now, hearing your experiences.

Does anyone remember the tipping guidelines on the ship?

Also, might you be willing to share what you considered was the highlight of your Russia river trip?

All the best,

Nina

Hi,

Thanks everyone - I feel better now, hearing your experiences.

Does anyone remember the tipping guidelines on the ship?

Also, might you be willing to share what you considered was the highlight of your Russia river trip?

All the best,

Nina

It seems to me that we gave $100 for the crew for seven days. For the Program Manager it was about $200 (in rubles) since she was with us for 20 days.

sueg488,

Did you do any of the optional tours? Are there any must dos or don'ts? Does anyone dress nicer for the captain's nights? I have just over 3 weeks to go before I am on the Russ and am starting to think about packing. I have a wash rag, kleenex & mosquito spray set aside in addition to my usual vacation "stuff".

Thanks

sueg488,

Did you do any of the optional tours? Are there any must dos or don'ts? Does anyone dress nicer for the captain's nights? I have just over 3 weeks to go before I am on the Russ and am starting to think about packing. I have a wash rag, kleenex & mosquito spray set aside in addition to my usual vacation "stuff".

Thanks

Many people dressed up a bit for Captain's night. I took a blazer and tie for the few occasions.

Take handi wipes, a couple of boxes of Imodium AD, EsterC, something for allergies.

Heck yes. My old college roommate and his wife that we went to Russia with last month always travels with pencils. They've made a lot of these trips all over the world and he always travels with 4 dozen pencils. Its a cheap pack from Staples. They are the ones that if you press down on the eraser the pencil lead pops out. If he sees a three to five year old, he walks up, to them and Mommy, turns on his Texas drawl and asks if they would like a pencil. Pulls one out, clicks it, the little face lights up and Mom is saying "thanks" and prompting the child to say "thank you" back. True one-to-one diplomacy!

Teb3

(This is a copy of my post on the Roll Call thread.)

My daughter and I are just back from our European Adventure. I'll post some quick thoughts and then review my pictures and diaries for more details. Everything is pretty jam packed in my head after 4 countries in 3 weeks!

Russia was amazing. Even doing the Motel 6/Paper Plate cruise (as I called our trip on the Russ) was a fabulous, not to be missed experience. Let me make some random comments here...

For those of you going to Europe/Russia for the first time, BE SURE To GET AN IMMIGRATION FORM! On our Delta/KLM flight to Russia, our Russian steward (who knew very little English) walked down the aisles, carrying these little forms. He didn't say anything about them, there was no announcement made over the intercom. He just held up a little form and walked down the aisle waving it. Very few people took them. Just before he walked the aisles, some passengers ahead of us were yelling at him. I thought they were complaint forms, ha ha! So I didn't take one.

We get into Moscow, and are processed quickly (surprisingly quickly) though customs. It's an intimidating process and the Russians are not smiley people (when they don't know you). The Russian girl who processed us asked a few questions (where did you come from, what are you here for) and then handed me back my passport. When I smiled at her and said "Spaciba" (Thank you), which I now know I said funny, accented in the wrong place (should be Spa SEE ba), she couldnt help it, and cracked a smile with one side of her mouth and welcomed me to Russia.

Fast forward, we get to our hotel (Assambleya Nikitskaya- lovely) and the first thing they ask for is my passport and immigration form. I said, I'm not immigrating here, just visiting. They argued back, you can't enter Russia without the form. I counter, I don't have a form. Everything I have, you've got. Lady argues more firmly- they don't let you into Russia without form! I argue more firmly- yet here I am! I'm here. No form! She got a disgusted look on her face and sent K and I to our room.

This left me in a bit of a panic. Am I going to be arrested for not having a form? Will they let me on the cruise? Should I be worried? Do I need to go back to the airport?

Even thought it was nearly 10PM, K and I decided to venture out. We get directions to Red Square (and remember that to Russians, LEFT might really mean right- ask for a map!). Red Square is only about a 10 minute walk- 4 blocks- from this hotel.

We got to Red Square on our own, easily, once we figured out how to cross Moscows busy streets (and it's MOSS-ko, not moss-COW- there are no cows in Moscow!) use the underground passage ways, they look like subway entrances, but they allow passage under the streets and are full of little shops and places to eat.

It was wonderful to see Red Square right at dusk. Later I was glad we did this on our own first, because on the River Cruise Tour, we were so overstimulated with everything, that we could better take in the experience and enjoy the other cruisers having their moments of awe. Plus, being there in the evening we got the chance to see Red Sqare all lit up.

Touching back on the immigration forms, it was also the first thing asked for on the ship, along with out passports. Fortunately, the front desk gal at the hotel made arrangements and when we checked out of the hotel the next morning, she had two immigration forms filled out for me and Kaylie. Thank goodness! We also had to show these forms as we left, and Kaylie was verbally harrassed by Russian Passport control guy who didn't like her form. He had yelled at me about my form, but finally waved me off disgustedly. He made Kaylie stand there and fill out a new form- so she could leave the country.

Our cruise itself was outstanding. The Russ is a simple ship, but very clean and well staffed. Most of the other ships we saw were similar. The outsides are all identical, the insides differ in decor. The included excursions were wonderful, the optionals- and we did most all of them- added to the cost significantly, but still priced our cruise much below all other cruises.

On the Russ specifically, we were given two bottles of water each day, placed on our table by the room cleaner. We learned this was not the case for everybody. Because the Russ and other Vodohod ships are booked by several different agencies, this can determine certain inclusions. Apparently, water is an extra charge. Travel All Russia includes this water suppliment in the cost of their cruises. Other agencies do not. We were also given two bedtime toffees which would be in our room after the evening meal.

K and I had our room in "steerege". We were at the bottom of the ship. This had advantages and disadvantages. Our cruise cost was several hundred dollars less, and our room was larger. It was also nice and quiet because this level is where most of the crew sleeps, and they're all working their tails off from dawn til dusk (which during the white nights- there is no dusk!). We had a "quad" cabin, which had the two "bunks", small, but not uncomfortable, two fold down bunks, a table and three padded bench seats, our closets and our fun little bathrooms.

I was worried about these weird showers, but they were actually quite nice and roomier than I expected. You do have to be aware of what it placed on the shelf above the sink and what is hanging on the hooks- as they will get wet!

Do NOT drink the water, unless it's bottled. I rinsed my toothbrush in the sink water, but rinsed my mouth with bottled water.

Water pressure for the showers are excellent with good temperature variance.

The Russ will not give you washcloths. Each day you get a clean bathtowel and handtowel. If you like a washcloth- bring one. My daughter and I had spongees that we brought for our showers.

Each room does include a mini fridge. Our room had lots of closet space, and about 4 hangers in two of the closets. We brought a $1 10 pack of hangars from home and used them and left them there (souvenir space!).

There are no snacks on the ship. If you like to munch between meals, bring your own. The meals on the ship are multi-coursed and there is plenty there. K and I are probably the pickiest eaters on the planet and we always managed to find enough to fill our bellies. There was a running joke about dill, beets, pickled things and mayonaise- because everything seemed to include at least one of those items. Lots of sauces. And as has been memtioned many times, starting on day 3 (I think) thru day 10, you get to fill out a menu choice of meat, fish or veggie for the main dishes. You also had 2 choices for your soups and desserts. Fancy salad to start the meal, then soup, then main course, then dessert. If you drink anything other than coffee, it is an extra expense. Pop and bottled water will run you about $3 each. Pop comes in mini sized bottles, basically a small glassful. With water, you will need to specify "flat" regular water, or "gas", fizzy/sparkling water. They will also ask you if you want a big water or a small water. The big waters are HUGE, probably 2 liter bottles, with price complimenting the size.

You can buy pop/water/drinks at any of the lounges. There are no snacks to buy on the ship.

I was surprised by the number of young people on our ship. There were several families travelling with teenagers and two families travelling with young boys (around aged 8-10). Our table mates (at a 4 seater table) were two young ladies in their mid- twenties. This was great for my daughter.

There were many different cultures represented on our ship. For all large ship activities you would have to wait while everything was translated from Russian (there were several Russian families) into French, Spanish and English. We also had a group from Turkey and some small groups from other countries. Unfortunately, the French have earned themselves poor reputations on the Russ (and apologies for any French to whom this does not apply). It all comes down to cultural differences, I'm sure, but even our ever patient Russian guides would get fed up. Indivudually, we met some lovely people. In a group (and this was later confirmed to us when K and I went to Paris) there is a fight and crowd mentality which demands they be first- or else. There is no hesitation about butting in line right ahead of you, or pushing you out of the way. On the ships decks, if they wanted a picture where you were standing, they would yell at you to move. They would walk into the ships classes late, talking loudly- to the point that the teacher would have to stop and pause. The people interrupting seemed not to care, and would stand there, talking at the front of the class to each other, decide to stay or not to stay, and only then could the teacher resume. You'd hear a lot of the guides say, "Oh. It's the French." and not usually in a pleasant tone. This was a sitation that repeated itself over and over on the cruise. Most of us just walked the other way when they were coming- or stepped out of the way to avoid being trampled. It was an issue.

We were blessed to have an amazing bunch in our travel all russia/english speaking group. There were about 30 of us total, and we all really gelled. It was such a nice sitation, that we have all exchanged personal information to keep in touch and are designing our own Facebook page as a way of keeping in contact and sharing pictures. Our group was diverse in age and culture and economics, but we all shared a sense of humor, fun and adventure that made the experience even more special. Our guide, Sergey, was 22 years old and a lot of fun. He is a fan of American Idioms and sayings and was always coming up to us and asking, "What does this mean- Scotty beam me up?" or "When would be the right time to say, Totally Awesome?". Our group loved him. He was very forthcoming and when he planned a Q&A session about Russian life and quickly became personal and deep, he arranged a 2nd one because there were two many questions. Our group wanted to know about Russian life beyond the postcards. He was great. He and my daughter (being similarly aged) really hit it off and what little down time he had, usually found them hanging out together. The staff was very friendly with Kaylie and the other twenty somethings on the ship, and would invite them to hang out in the off times or go party somewhere.

Several of the staff expressed the desire to go back to communism. This was quite surprising. What I concluded- and it was echoed by some others- is that this young generation is confused. Their parents were raised under communism and then experienced the turbulent times of perestroika. This young generation was raised by parents who wanted them to enjoy all of the freedoms they never had- in some ways might have been spoiled by it. But culturally they don't yet know how to deal. Communism is far enough behind them that it has started to become a bit romanticized. Back then, everybody had jobs, back then, everybody was equal, back then, we didn't have to pay for university. There is a great divide between the rich and the poor, there is a lot of unemployment. People can't afford to go to school. It's the same problems we have in free countries. Back in the communist days, there was also a great divide between rich and poor. The only difference is that back then, the communist "greats" were the wealthy, and the common people were united in their poverty. Now it's the wealthy industrialists. The common people are still poor, they just don't have their unity anymore. They have to pay for school, but now they can choose their careers. Everybody wanted to become rich, so they all chose the same white collar careers. Now there are too many white collared workers and not enough jobs. They are living beyond their means- especially in Moscow. They want to show off their wealth. So they buy expensive cars to drive (even though traffic is appalling and subways are nice) and wear designer clothes and then live in tiny hovels with several others because the rent is so high. Why? It is cool to be able to say you live in Moscow and have the Mercedes and the Jimmy Choos. They've traded one set of problems for another and they don't know how to deal with the new problems- because they've not had to before. So the old ways seem more glamourous. They're familiar.

It was also amazing to hear about how much the small villages still cling to Lenin! Moscow might have torn down their statues, but the small towns are proud of their Lenin statues! Talking to the natives was VERY enlightening!

Gosh, there's so much more to share- but I'll stop for now.

progress.gif

Archived