Carry on bag- what to include?

LakeGoddess

Whenever I fly, I usually check my suitcase and then have one good sized carryon. In the carry on, I include my cosmetics, make up, jewelry, glasses, kindle and 'purse' items like wallet, etc.

With this being my first cruise, I'm not sure what all to put in my carryon. Obviously, the purse things. I had read that we might be on board for awhile before getting to our room so I was going to include a bathing suit and cover up, just in case we wanted to sit by the pool.

I am not bringing soda or water because I don't want that weight to lug around.

I'm also thinking I don't want the weight of my cosmetic bag or hair dryer or anything like that. Am I correct in assuming that anything I pack in my suitcase will be safe and will make it to my room? (Does luggage ever get lost on a cruise??)

Then I read where people bring a change of clothes for dinner in case their bag doesn't come before dinner. Is that likely? Even if it's a casual evening, I think I want to change clothes for dinner (we have anytime seating) but I don't really want to put clothes in my carryon.

Any advice is appreciated!

if I take cosmetics in my carryon it's usually just mascara. I've never had a suitcase not make it to the cabin. I pack a bathing suit, coverup, flip flops for pool in the carryon, and I don't pack a blowdryer at all as there's one in the cabin.

First night onboard it is assumed everyone won't have their luggage yet, so dinner is not usually restricted to any type of clothing.

have fun!

if I take cosmetics in my carryon it's usually just mascara. I've never had a suitcase not make it to the cabin. I pack a bathing suit, coverup, flip flops for pool in the carryon, and I don't pack a blowdryer at all as there's one in the cabin.

Definitely make note of, and don't forget, the flip flops. Earlier this month I made it on board with shorts, bathing suit in the carry on, and completely forgot about the change of shoes! Considering I had flown down from Canada, I felt kind of silly (and uncomfortable) walking around in my "sturdy" shoes while everyone else was ready for the pool!

I take a bathing suit and coverup & sunscreen just in case I want to sit outside before my luggage arrives in the cabin. I also pack something to change into again in case luggage does not arrive before dinner and I want to shower and put on clean clothes for dinner. I also pack my medicine, cosmetics, toothbrush, toothpaste, camera, jewelry in my carryon.

Most of the time luggage will be delivered quickly and you will have it by mid afternoon but I like to be prepared just in case.

Definitely bathing suit and sunscreen. Sun glasses.

Any electronic items, like a computer, camera, ipod.

Your money, credit cards, wallet, passport.

Perscription medicine.

The last time we cruised, I brought soda on, and then stashed it under a stack of lounge chairs, so I didn't have to carry it around. It was in a tote bag, with nothing else valuable. If lost I would not have been too upset.

All of your electronic devices, jewelry, cruise documents and everything you need for identification to get onto the ship.

Yes.. luggage does get lost so don't pack anything in your checked bags that you don't want to lose.

Whenever I fly, I usually check my suitcase and then have one good sized carryon. In the carry on, I include my cosmetics, make up, jewelry, glasses, kindle and 'purse' items like wallet, etc.

With this being my first cruise, I'm not sure what all to put in my carryon. Obviously, the purse things. I had read that we might be on board for awhile before getting to our room so I was going to include a bathing suit and cover up, just in case we wanted to sit by the pool.

I am not bringing soda or water because I don't want that weight to lug around.

I'm also thinking I don't want the weight of my cosmetic bag or hair dryer or anything like that. Am I correct in assuming that anything I pack in my suitcase will be safe and will make it to my room? (Does luggage ever get lost on a cruise??)

Then I read where people bring a change of clothes for dinner in case their bag doesn't come before dinner. Is that likely? Even if it's a casual evening, I think I want to change clothes for dinner (we have anytime seating) but I don't really want to put clothes in my carryon.

Any advice is appreciated!

Anything you hold of great value that seems irreplaceable to you should be in your carry on. That's not to say that your checked bags will be ``pilfered'' but that in any undo circumstance when your luggage doesn't make it on the ship (yes, it has happened), you know your most valuable items are with you.

Always pack any medicines, expensive sunglasses or prescription glasses, jewelry, money (including travel checks, credit cards, etc) in your purse or carry on.

I always carry a light weight pair of white pants in my carry on that will go with whatever blouse I wear on embarkation in case my luggage doesn't arrive before dinner.

And above all else, don't forget to pack your cruise docs, passport or birth certificate in your purse or carryon. You are definitely going to need those items before your checked luggage gets to your cabin door.:)

Dianne

If it's warm weather, I just wear my bathing suit under my boarding clothes....that way, I don't have to find somewhere to change, if the cabin's not ready.

Always carry ANYTHING of value...and for me, my makeup is a 'must-have'.

I never worry about changing for dinner on the 1st night...it's VERY casual....if the luggage is there, great, but if it's not, I'm not lugging around a change of clothes!

Just curious....have you ever been allowed on board and your room was NOT ready ? That's never happened to us. I assumed that if they are letting passengers on, everything is ready. Am I wrong ?

And yes, luggage has been lost. Once a piece of our luggage went on another cruise without us. We got it back one week after we returned home. That was with Royal Caribbean, though.

Just curious....have you ever been allowed on board and your room was NOT ready ? That's never happened to us. I assumed that if they are letting passengers on, everything is ready. Am I wrong ?

And yes, luggage has been lost. Once a piece of our luggage went on another cruise without us. We got it back one week after we returned home. That was with Royal Caribbean, though.

Greetings from one buckeye to another.:)

With 30 cruises now we've been onboard many times before the cabins are ready because we always try to get to the port by 11 a.m to get the cruise started early. Most times we are on the ship by noon or 12:30 P.M. and cabins are often not ready by then.

The ship will start the boarding process while previous pax are getting off but that doesn't mean the cabin stewards have had a chance to get all of the cabins cleaned and ready for the next pax.

Dianne

Now I don't know if I feel more confused or less!

I understand about putting truly valuable items in my carryon- I was definitely planning to put my jewelry and electronics, camera, glasses, etc in there. And make up- that would be expensive to replace! And when I said 'purse' items, I knew that included passport and other travel docs.

I can't imagine having to live without the clothes and toiletries etc that will be in my suitcase but I can't carry everything so I certainly hope my suitcase makes it to my room!

I knew we could be onboard before being able to get into our room. I guess I assumed that if the room was ready, the luggage would be too. That's a newbie for you, right!

Now I don't know if I feel more confused or less!

I understand about putting truly valuable items in my carryon- I was definitely planning to put my jewelry and electronics, camera, glasses, etc in there. And make up- that would be expensive to replace! And when I said 'purse' items, I knew that included passport and other travel docs.

I can't imagine having to live without the clothes and toiletries etc that will be in my suitcase but I can't carry everything so I certainly hope my suitcase makes it to my room!

I knew we could be onboard before being able to get into our room. I guess I assumed that if the room was ready, the luggage would be too. That's a newbie for you, right!

Have never figured out how to guess when your luggage will be delivered to your room. Have been among the first ones boarded on a ship and had luggage delivered between 2 & 4 p.m. also had luggage delivered after dinner.

Have boarded a ship late afternoon and found my luggage there before dinner.

Go figure.

I never get worried about my luggage unless it's not delivered by 9 p.m. That has never happened to me in 30 cruises so I guess I'm not worrying about it that much.:D

The scenerio of luggage getting to your room goes a bit like this:

each piece of luggage delivered to the dock has to first be loaded on to huge bins that hold 30 to 40 or more pieces of luggage. Those bins are sent over to the ship in a line up for the scanners. Each piece is scanned before loading on to the ship. Your luggage are then mixed in with a greater # of luggage that is going through the scanner mix.

Once on the ship and scanned those pieces of luggage must then be sorted and separated by deck and then sorted again by position on each deck (aft-, mid- or forward.

Once your luggage is delivered to the right area of the ship the stewards or other crew members need to read the luggage tags and get the luggage to the right cabin.

Yes, on very rare occasions a piece of luggage might not make it on the ship but those cases are very, very rare compared to the # of pax that travel cruise ships each year.

Don't sweat the process. It works about 99.9% of the time. Just don't assume that your luggage is going to be at your cabin within a few minues or even a couple of hours after you board. Sometimes it is, and other times it isn't.

Dianne

And greetings from a South Campus Buckeye !!

I wouldn't worry about the possibility of not getting your luggage unless you are using a transfer. That's the mistake we made years ago.

It can take several hours for your luggage to appear. Once, one of our luggage tags was torn off, and it took just a little longer, but at least we had them all by bed time !! But don't expect luggage until at least 2 hours after you leave it at the dock.

And I also agree that you should not worry about your dress for dinner. You will see just about everything at dinner that first night ! (Not mention other nights, too !!)

Are you flying in a day ahead of your cruise ? (highly recommended) We rearrange our luggage and carry-on items before leaving the hotel. Putting a few beverages in the carry-ons has something to do with that, too !!

And greetings from a South Campus Buckeye !!

I wouldn't worry about the possibility of not getting your luggage unless you are using a transfer. That's the mistake we made years ago.

It can take several hours for your luggage to appear. Once, one of our luggage tags was torn off, and it took just a little longer, but at least we had them all by bed time !! But don't expect luggage until at least 2 hours after you leave it at the dock.

And I also agree that you should not worry about your dress for dinner. You will see just about everything at dinner that first night ! (Not mention other nights, too !!)

Are you flying in a day ahead of your cruise ? (highly recommended) We rearrange our luggage and carry-on items before leaving the hotel. Putting a few beverages in the carry-ons has something to do with that, too !!

From ressies of Hilliard, we know where you're coming from. We're landlocked here for cruise ships until they figure out a way to put a cruise ship on Lake Erie.

Since we pretty much fly to every cruise port, we've learned to fly in a day early and then repack our carryons before we head to the cruise port. It's at that point that I take make up bag, hair spray and any liquids over .3 oz out of my checked bags and move them over to carryon and pad in a few liquid refreshements as well.:)

When we pack fo our flight we normally pack several items in our air carryon that we know we can move over to our regular luggage that's going to be checked with porters to make room for those items we want in our carryon for the ship.

It's amazing how ingenious you can become doing this.

We've managed to take 2 bottles of wine, a 12 pack of soda, make up bag, hairspray, etc., etc. and a change of clothes for dinner that night in one roll on carryon to the ship. Roll on at that point may weigh over the limit for airline scrutiny but still makes it through the cruiseline scanners as a ``carry on.'':D

Dianne

? (Does luggage ever get lost on a cruise??)

d!

Luggage has been know to get lost but if you give it to the porter at the dock, it is extremely extremely unlikely. That said, there was one post on CC where the luggage was put on a different ship. If I remember correctly, it never caught up with the passenger.

I would not worry about that very unlikely possibility, however.

DON

in my carry-on i always have clothes for a port-day, sea-day and for dress-up in the evening so IF something does happen to my luggage i know i have some things to get me by for a few days!

also its complete outfits down to the shoes and lingere and anything extra i just cant do without certain shoes etc etc...

you have to find what works for you and will make you comfortable!

all my cosmetics etc that i absolutely need are in my personal bag and i fly so its all in my zip-lock, my jewelry and anything of value always with me and meds.

i have been giving all my bags last two cruises to the porter (cept for my personal bag) but since i read about the luggage lost and on the wrong ship i decided to put up with luggin it around for a few hrs...its worth it!

most of the time too we have been able to drop our luggage off as our cabin was ready!

My normal routine is to wear something I would feel comfortable wearing to dinner on the first night (namely long pants and a polo shirt) on the plane.

I then pack shorts/swimsuit in my carry on, along with one extra set of undergarments "just in case". That takes up less room in the carry on.

(Of coursem I also take my prescriptions, passport, gps, etc. in the carry on.)

It has not happened to me, but luggage can also be accidentally dropped in the ocean when being transferred to the ship.

Aloha,

John

From ressies of Hilliard, we know where you're coming from. We're landlocked here for cruise ships until they figure out a way to put a cruise ship on Lake Erie.

Since we pretty much fly to every cruise port, we've learned to fly in a day early and then repack our carryons before we head to the cruise port. It's at that point that I take make up bag, hair spray and any liquids over .3 oz out of my checked bags and move them over to carryon and pad in a few liquid refreshements as well.:)

When we pack fo our flight we normally pack several items in our air carryon that we know we can move over to our regular luggage that's going to be checked with porters to make room for those items we want in our carryon for the ship.

It's amazing how ingenious you can become doing this.

We've managed to take 2 bottles of wine, a 12 pack of soda, make up bag, hairspray, etc., etc. and a change of clothes for dinner that night in one roll on carryon to the ship. Roll on at that point may weigh over the limit for airline scrutiny but still makes it through the cruiseline scanners as a ``carry on.'':D

Dianne

The cruise line didnt confiscate your wine??

The cruise line didnt confiscate your wine??

On cruises whe we'e taken 2 bottles of wine we've been on

carnival that allows us to take 1 bottle each on ship in our carryon without corkage fee or confiscation.

We were just on the Glory in Dec. and had all I mentioned in our carryon and many more items as well including my curling iron, bathing suits and our jackets in our carry on.

Dianne

We don't take a change of clothes for dinner in our carryons -- we wear to the ship what we will wear to the dining room just in case we don't get our luggage until after dinner -- which did happen a couple of times a number of years ago. And lately it was close -- luggage came 1 hour before dinner.

Yes -- we have been on cruises when luggage didn't make it onto the ship -- worse time was in 2007 when 2 HAL ships were in San Diego. Our ship was going on 23 day PanAmerican cruise and the other HAL ship was going to Hawaii. People didn't pay attention as to where they were to drop off their luggage. Thus quite a few pieces of luggage that was suppose to be on our ship ended up going to Hawaii.

Archived