Safety of Kids in own room?

donnam504

Just booked 2 cabins on Freedom. JS at the AFT for DH & me & Interior that is 6 steps away (door is sort of around the corner..our door faces the long wall of their cabin) for 3 kids who will be 16,12 & 10 when we sail. This will be kids 1st time cruising.I was looking on the family board of cruisecritic & I see a thread pertaining to safety of cruise ships & the false sense of security parents have about the safety of their children w/ on board predators. The article referred to a 13 y/o girl assaulted a few years ago on RC ship. She was approached as part of a group by a man who was able to intimidate her (as in "you shouldn't be out here so late") & seperated her from the group & assualted her. Had planned for 16 y/o daughter to be in Interior room w/ either 12 y/o or 10 y/o.My question is for those who have travelled & put their children in a different room...do you worry about these things?I have been re-thinking this arrangement all day. I plan to give them the speech abt no one in the room, not answering the door...I don't plan to let the 12 & 10 y/o to wander aimlessly, but thought 16 y/o could go to pool by herself or teen club @ night...Am I over reacting?....

Everybody *worries* about these things. It's a scary world... ship or no ship. But I don't think you should worry more about these things on the ship than off.

Every parent has to set their own rules. What are yours in the real world? Can the 16-year old go to the mall by herself? To school by herself? Stay alone in the house by herself? If you are OK with that, I don't see why she can't go to the pool or teen club by herself.

We are traveling on the LOS in a few weeks and booked a balcony with a connecting inside cabin! There's only 2 pairs of cabins like this on the entire ship but we have the benefit of a balcony for DH and I with the kids connected to us in an inside. Check it out cabin #9396 on Liberty!

Just booked 2 cabins on Freedom. JS at the AFT for DH & me & Interior that is 6 steps away (door is sort of around the corner..our door faces the long wall of their cabin) for 3 kids who will be 16,12 & 10 when we sail. This will be kids 1st time cruising.I was looking on the family board of cruisecritic & I see a thread pertaining to safety of cruise ships & the false sense of security parents have about the safety of their children w/ on board predators. The article referred to a 13 y/o girl assaulted a few years ago on RC ship. She was approached as part of a group by a man who was able to intimidate her (as in "you shouldn't be out here so late") & seperated her from the group & assualted her. Had planned for 16 y/o daughter to be in Interior room w/ either 12 y/o or 10 y/o.My question is for those who have travelled & put their children in a different room...do you worry about these things?I have been re-thinking this arrangement all day. I plan to give them the speech abt no one in the room, not answering the door...I don't plan to let the 12 & 10 y/o to wander aimlessly, but thought 16 y/o could go to pool by herself or teen club @ night...Am I over reacting?....
If I were in your shoes, I'd switch to two connected balcony rooms (and it'd be about the same cost). Having an interior door that you can keep open, that you can walk in/out of in various states of undress is MUCH CLOSER to the kids than across the hall. Too much can happen.

I wouldn't worry about any of the kids going to the pool, etc. during the day, but I wouldn't allow the 16 year old to go out just anywhere after dark. Depending upon the other kids who are sailing, the most responsible kid can be tempted to do things that she knows she shouldn't. My big safety rules are 1) stay out of other people's cabins, 2) don't let others into our cabins, 3) after dinner you're either in a supervised activity, you're in our rooms, or you're with us, 4) watch your drinks.

Everybody *worries* about these things. It's a scary world... ship or no ship. But I don't think you should worry more about these things on the ship than off.

Every parent has to set their own rules. What are yours in the real world? Can the 16-year old go to the mall by herself? To school by herself? Stay alone in the house by herself? If you are OK with that, I don't see why she can't go to the pool or teen club by herself.

You shouldn't worry more on the ship than off, but you also shouldn't worry LESS.

Normal care and common sense should prevail.

Tell your kids (12 & 10) to stay together and NOT EVER go into anyone else's cabin.

Give your teen very specific rules about her comings and goings, and when she must check in with you.

There is a poster who has a wonderful "contract" that she makes with her teens when they cruise.

Just booked 2 cabins on Freedom. JS at the AFT for DH & me & Interior that is 6 steps away (door is sort of around the corner..our door faces the long wall of their cabin) for 3 kids who will be 16,12 & 10 when we sail.

Let me guess

despite knowing that this is against the rules you asked an RCL rep on the phone if it would be OK?

They said, SURE no problem . . . just tell them at check-in

where you will be told that they can do nothing at the pier but you can go to services desk on the ship and let people sleep where-ever and get extra keys to the respective rooms.

Well on the ship they will give extra keys to anyone who asks for one. I'm in cabin XXX, and I'd like 12 extra keys. OK ... here you go. Since one of the adults is actually booked to the kid's room you get extra keys for yours and theirs.

been there done that ....

And when there WAS a problem {they ARE kids} RCL's get out of jail card by the people ON THE SHIP was: well that's not allowed .... you are not in the rooms you booked ... you've moved around ... you can't do that ... you have violated our rules ... we may have to put you off the ship at the next port unless you straighten up . . .

Oh ... and after ... if you book another cruise, you get a call from RCL reminding you that you broke the rules, so they will be watching you extra close this time.

Don't ask how I know . . . but I will never again accept responsibility for someone else's child on a cruise or assume I can book a kid's cabin and just move around . . . .

We are traveling on the LOS in a few weeks and booked a balcony with a connecting inside cabin! There's only 2 pairs of cabins like this on the entire ship but we have the benefit of a balcony for DH and I with the kids connected to us in an inside. Check it out cabin #9396 on Liberty!

Cabin 9396 connects to an interior cabin that only sleeps 2, so this set up would not work for the OP.

I would book connecting cabins. There are several that sleep 3.

I would book connecting cabins.

We had connecting cabins on Freedom last October ( for our 3 and 8 year old )and despite the assurances of our cabin steward that he would be the only person with access to the cabins, the beverage person let herself into my children's cabin at about 6 am on the last morning. The cabin steward tried to stop her, DH and I heard the door open and I confronted her as she walked in. The incident was quite loud and my kids both slept right through it. I would never put them in a room where I did not know what was going on after that, and from now on we will barricade the kids door at night.

Merion Mom is exactly right. You just talk to them about common sense. You said about letting the 16 year old walk around alone at night -- safety in numbers. I am more over protective than most. Hopefully she will meet some friends and not be walking around alone at night.

When we sailed with our son on the Mariner when he was that age, we set a meeting place for him to come out of the living room or fuel and we would walk him back to the cabin. We also had an aft cabin and weren't comfortable with him coming that far on his own late at night. We met at the outside seating of Johnnie Rockets, which was within view of the door but not too close as to embarrass him.:rolleyes:

I would have a talk with the kids and set the rules upfront. I would also get them a door alarm. If someone opens their door, it will wake them and you will probably hear it too.

I don't think you have anything to worry about...your younger kids shouldn't be allowed to 'roam' at will....if they have a specific place to go, with your permission, that's fine. But, you should know their whereabouts at all times, just like in your hometown.

I think the likelihood of anyone trying to "invade" their cabin is slim at best...if your children are likely to go off with someone they don't know...then other arrangements should be made. If they are "normal" kids, with common sense (and some practice in the "real" world), they'll be fine.

I would book connecting cabins.

We had connecting cabins on Freedom last October ( for our 3 and 8 year old )and despite the assurances of our cabin steward that he would be the only person with access to the cabins, the beverage person let herself into my children's cabin at about 6 am on the last morning. The cabin steward tried to stop her, DH and I heard the door open and I confronted her as she walked in. The incident was quite loud and my kids both slept right through it. I would never put them in a room where I did not know what was going on after that, and from now on we will barricade the kids door at night.

I put the do not disturb sign on my kids room at night.

Definitely worth using due caution with the kids sailing in a different cabin. While it is nice to give some freedom to the kids, it is definitely better to set ground rules for the kids to follow and check up on them.

As said by others two key rules nobody else to your cabin and don't go to anyone else's cabin...not all kids or parents/adults are all safe to be around so staying in public areas is key when interacting with others.

Our DD who has taken 10 cruises is given more freedom than I would if she has never cruised. But still if she goes to AO she has to call to confirm she got there and call before heading back to the cabin etc...

Also, be cautious about what crew the kids befriend, not all crew are truly responsible individuals.

As said in several threads the ship is like a city, some good some bad are all found on the ship, that includes criminals, pedofiles etc....all can be on the cruise with you. Not to say there are some on each cruise....

Better safe than Sorry!!!

I think the kids will be fine given some common sense guidelines. Let them know it's OK to scream if they feel threatened.

The reality is that all corridors and public spaces are under nearly constant camera surveilance with recording. No predator is going to spend money to go on a ship full of security cameras.

The kids will watch out for each other. Many thousands of kids travel on ships each year, and have a great time.

I would book connecting cabins. I think you will feel better if you did. On our last cruise, we first booked a balcony cabin and had our 2 kids across the hall in an inside cabin. They were 15 and 13 at the time. As the cruise drew closer, and the more we thought about it, we decided to book a quad balcony cabin for all 4 of us. I was so worried about it before the cruise, so I can't imagine how worried I would have been during the cruise. Although a little privacy would have been nice, I felt much better with my kids with us. Good luck!!!!:)

On our cruise this July, we booked a junior suite for all 4 of us. Kids will be 16 and 14.

Just booked 2 cabins on Freedom. JS at the AFT for DH & me & Interior that is 6 steps away (door is sort of around the corner..our door faces the long wall of their cabin) for 3 kids who will be 16,12 & 10 when we sail.

Let me guess

despite knowing that this is against the rules you asked an RCL rep on the phone if it would be OK?

They said, SURE no problem . . . just tell them at check-in

where you will be told that they can do nothing at the pier but you can go to services desk on the ship and let people sleep where-ever and get extra keys to the respective rooms.

Well on the ship they will give extra keys to anyone who asks for one. I'm in cabin XXX, and I'd like 12 extra keys. OK ... here you go. Since one of the adults is actually booked to the kid's room you get extra keys for yours and theirs.

been there done that ....

And when there WAS a problem {they ARE kids} RCL's get out of jail card by the people ON THE SHIP was: well that's not allowed .... you are not in the rooms you booked ... you've moved around ... you can't do that ... you have violated our rules ... we may have to put you off the ship at the next port unless you straighten up . . .

Oh ... and after ... if you book another cruise, you get a call from RCL reminding you that you broke the rules, so they will be watching you extra close this time.

Don't ask how I know . . . but I will never again accept responsibility for someone else's child on a cruise or assume I can book a kid's cabin and just move around . . . .

Just an FYI...it is NOT against the rules to book your own kids into their own cabin next to, or across the hall from, your own cabin. We do it all the time...in fact, it was the RCI rep on the phone who informed us that we could do it this way. You absolutely do NOT have to book one adult into each cabin, and there is no switching of the keys once onboard.

Merion Mom is exactly right. You just talk to them about common sense. You said about letting the 16 year old walk around alone at night -- safety in numbers. I am more over protective than most. Hopefully she will meet some friends and not be walking around alone at night.

Just curious and not wanting to sound like I am personally attacking you -- but why would you post photos of your kids as well as when you are taking your next cruise - including which ship???? Actually, not only you, but many other posters do it as well.

Think about it.

Our daughter (16) had a cabin to herself last cruise and we have one again for her on our upcoming cruise. If you feel confident sending your children together to the supermarket to grab something for you then you should be able to feel confident to let them have a cabin a few steps away. Do you let them go to the mall, go to the toy department in Target without ya? Only you as a parent knows what your kids can & can't deal with. Honestly I feel ships are a bit safer, creeps don't pay big bucks to get on a ship full of cameras to try to get one child away from a group to cause harm. Just to much work and to easy to get caught, ya think.

Take their keys at night: Our daughter on the last cruise wasn't around the corner but was directly across the hall and when she would retired in the evening she would give us her key leaving her with only a spare key to our our cabin and the knowledge of where to find us that evening. It was our piece of mind knowing she would not leave the cabin for anything but an emergency because she had no way to get back in. She doesn't answer the door at home so no worries that she would do it on the ship. Didn't keep us from reminding her about our special knock to "get a laugh & ya I know". We have faith in her to do the right thing.

Only "YOU" know your children. Remember the ships crew is not a babysitter, if you wouldn't let your 10 year old walk to school alone then don't let him go to the buffet alone. :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

Just an FYI...it is NOT against the rules to book your own kids into their own cabin next to, or across the hall from, your own cabin. We do it all the time...in fact, it was the RCI rep on the phone who informed us that we could do it this way. You absolutely do NOT have to book one adult into each cabin, and there is no switching of the keys once onboard.
Yep, sure isn't. My daughter is booked in her next two cabins alone. My only regret is we don't get two diamond plus gifts because they are one per cabin :rolleyes: and since she is a minor they don't get a diamond plus gift or even a welcome back basket.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You are correct in saying that as long as the cabins are SIDE BY SIDE or ACROSS THE HALL from one another it is in accordance with policy, however, and according to Royal Caribbean, if there is one cabin between them or as the OP said "door is sort of around the corner..." this is in violation and an adult MUST be booked in each cabin. Call them and ask.

We had this arrangment with our kids and it worked out just fine. Set some rules, and stick by them.

Really? You had the Junior Suite with the Inside Cabin around the corner down the side hallway?

I am surprised at the number of people who assume that their particular situation translates to the exact cruise and passenger demographics the OP is on. Not knowing who is going to be booked in the cabin next to them, not being able to hear if they are coming and going, and not knowing what 'friends' that they will make on the cruise and invite back to the cabin to play? Regardless of what ground rules you lay down, if it were my particular situation I would prefer that they would be in an adjoining cabin or directly across from my stateroom's front doorway. Safety cannot be taken for granted and sure maybe statistically odds in their favor that something won't happen, but it only takes one incident or one person to compromise that feeling that everything on a cruise ship of 4000 people is always going to 'be just fine'

Correct, but in this instance,the door to the kids cabin is around the corner, that's when it becomes a No No!!

Archived