Is tipping optional??

jadzhea

I sincerely hope that you do not misinform your clients that are sailing on mass market lines like RCCL, NCL and Carnival.

It is not :suggested:....it is how these individuals get paid. Their "tip" is no more "suggested" than YOUR commission.....

how would you feel if RCCL, Carnival or NCL decided that YOU were not doing YOUR job well enough to get paid your commission because you are giving out incorrect information on tipping???

Once again you are another one who is not reading. It is a SUGGESTED tip - not mandatory - SUGGESTED. Which is exactly what I tell my clients along with the SUGGESTED dress code, etc etc and all the other SUGGESTIONS.

I get paid a commission because it is not a SUGGESTION.

Come on - stop trying to play with words. You arn't succeeding. Until all cruiselines decided to make a mandatory service charge, it is a SUGGESTION only. No matter what you want it to mean it doesn't..........................so I pass on the suggestion made by the cruiselines.

Now, go read your paperwork again.

Here ya go.

For new or existing bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are: Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011 the suggested gratuities are:Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: $7.25 USD a day per guest

Gratuities are voluntary and at the discretion of each guest. These guidelines serve as suggestions to help guests express their gratitude for the outstanding service they experience on their Royal Caribbean cruise vacation.

Note: As of December 9, 2010, Royal Caribbean International is adjusting the suggested daily gratuities for dining and housekeeping staff. This is Royal Caribbean’s first gratuity adjustment in 13 years, and puts our suggestions in line with our competitors. The new guidelines apply to new reservations made for sailings on or after July 1, 2011 These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

So,,,,,,the operative work here is suggested.

PlaneSailing, Thanks for pointing out to fellow sailors that tipping IS NOT THE RULE in Europe! We Americans are so used to the tipping for service - whether it be a manicurist, hairdresser, waiter/waitress, housekeeping in hotels, baggage handlers, et cetera - that it doesn't come as a shock.

On the reverse, while travelling to Europe the first time we were surprised to learn the tipping culture was entirely different over there. It seems that here in the States many in the hospitality and some service industries are not covered by minimum wage laws, while in Europe most of them are.

Here's hoping that the rest of you understand better the differences now. And stop with the nasty remarks!:)

The European lines have it right...call it a service charge, make it mandatory and be done with it. No fuss, no arguments...easy peasy and since most European nations are used to service charges, they have grown to live with them, and they give extra gratuities as/when the service provided has excelled (which is actually the whole ethos of a gratuity (or tip)).

The US lines are the ones that are out of step really and they confuse the issue by suggesting how much and having different setups for traditional and my time dining. They make it sound far more complicated than it needs to be.

Keep it simple, have it on the websites that is clear and concise and easy for people to fine, don't faff about with it.

What costitutes great service to justify your differential of 10%. After all you order your food the server brings it to your table. What degrees of greatness are involved in that action ?

The difference is the attitude, the "pleasure to serve you"," happy to see you" feeling that you get- worth a big tip, in MY humble opinion. If I could tip the nicer cashiers at one of my local grocery stores, I would, as it is a pleasurable experience shopping there (as opposed to the disgruntled workers at the other supermarket). It's not just the act of carrying food to the table- a lot more comes into play in the service industry. Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I was out to lunch-had a great (friendly, efficient, attentive) waitress who was compensated accordingly.:)

Sorry, yes they do. They carry the food and drinks from the station at the back to the counter and place it on your tray, in the same way that a waiter carries your food from the kitchen to your table. the action is the same, only the distance is different.

McDonalds staff aren't paid $50 a month. Many are paid at least $7.25 an hour. Plus, comparing a fast food restaurant to a cruise ship waiter isn't a fair comparison.

OP, shouldn't you know the tipping culture of any place you visit before you book?

5 minutes on TripAdvisor or Wiki Travel will tell which countries tip and which don't.

Japan-No tips

USA-Tips

Mexico-Tips

etc.....

Nice, Bob, but a Brit booking with a ship which sails all year to/from Southampton, UK, and has a name starting with "Royal", doesn't automatically make you think that there's anything foreign about it! :confused: Until recently, foreign ships have been quite rare in this port....even Princess belonged to P&O, a large British company swallowed by Carnival.

So, OK, I'm savvy about shipping lines, and tipping...but I wasn't on my first cruise, and the tipping policy (with Princess) was something new, but was explained by my TA, and paid for with an OBC.

People have been quite rude in their answers to a new member, who should have been welcomed to this site with open arms.

Jo.

The difference is the attitude, the "pleasure to serve you"," happy to see you" feeling that you get- worth a big tip, in MY humble opinion. If I could tip the nicer cashiers at one of my local grocery stores, I would, as it is a pleasurable experience shopping there (as opposed to the disgruntled workers at the other supermarket). It's not just the act of carrying food to the table- a lot more comes into play in the service industry. Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I was out to lunch-had a great (friendly, efficient, attentive) waitress who was compensated accordingly.:)

I understand and accept that you wish to receive pleasant service. But surely that is how the restaurant should expect their staff to act. My point is, if you are paying this additional 10% tip for this exceptional service, what are you paying the 15% for ? And what stops you rewarding the cashier at your grocery store in the same way if that is what you want to do ?

Question for the OP.

I see that you also have another cruise booked for later in the year on Disney. I'm not familiar with them but I do believe tipping is also practiced on that line. What are your plans.

Also (I did a "search" on your other posts) ~ You have cruised before, right? To Egypt? What cruiseline was it? Were gratuities included? Was there a service charge? Or was the tip included in the cost of the cruise?

:confused:

Maybe the cruise lines can tell those who feel they don't want to tip, they should SUGGEST they cruise on lines where tips are included in the fare. But, those folks would be paying at least 4 to 5 times what they pay on the mass market lines.

I would love to see the end of cruise bills for those of you who refuse to tip. For those who say you can't afford the tips, it sure would be great to see a big bill for booze.

But in all honesty, I just dont understand what the problem is here. So freakin what that tipping isn't a part of your culture? What's your response if something is legal in your culture but not in another? Do you just throw out your typical response of "well, we do that in our culture, so we sure as heck will do it here" and expect it to be accepted? Plus, if one can afford a 10 day family cruise...........they should be able to afford the extras.

Jo, the OP may be new to cruise critic, but not to cruising. She's been on a cruise to Egypt and also has booked a Disney cruise in October, and we all know a Disney cruise is NOT cheap, plus the family is staying at the Hard Rock Hotel before the cruise. Now, this makes the issue even more interesting especially in light of the OP's claim of being limited in budget. Now I don't claim to be an accountant, but if a person has extremely limited resources to the point they can't afford the "high cost of tips", it's interesting they can afford a second cruise, plus not cheap airfare, on a line that's known to be as expensive as Disney. Just saying.......Something just doesn't add up here.

Question for the OP.

I see that you also have another cruise booked for later in the year on Disney. I'm not familiar with them but I do believe tipping is also practiced on that line. What are your plans.

Also (I did a "search" on your other posts) ~ You have cruised before, right? To Egypt? What cruiseline was it? Were gratuities included? Was there a service charge? Or was the tip included in the cost of the cruise?

:confused:

Hi

In answer to your questions:

1. I still consider myself a 1st time cruiser... the egyptian one was a small ferry type boat (it was a river cruise up the nile, it was egyptian independant), it was booked as part a package holiday with a week in Cairo, all excursions were included... I think its a completely different kettle of fish to what I am going to experience on Royal Carribean... Of course we tipped, it was a very reasonable affordable amount, there was no tipping required for children, and I actually left some extra money in my room for the cleaner. Now egyptians ARE on an exceptionally low wage!!!

2. Yes, going on a disney cruise in October, and of course I will tip, but it wont be their suggested amount of $43.75 dollars per day ... Disney cruise is a 40th birthday gift from parents

As previously stated, I think after these 2 cruises this year, I will probably just revert to my normal 2 weeks all inclusive in a hotel

Thanks for your enquiry

Darcie, I understand that the OP has been to Egypt, but she probably travelled on Thomson, which is an old ship with no tipping, much used by Brits as a first cruise.

If she doesn't know about Disney yet, she soon will.....perhaps her TA will have confessed by now.....:cool:

Jo.

Maybe the cruise lines can tell those who feel they don't want to tip, they should SUGGEST they cruise on lines where tips are included in the fare. One of the silliest things I've ever read on here. Like the cruiselines truly care. But, those folks would be paying at least 4 to 5 times what they pay on the mass market lines.

I would love to see the end of cruise bills for those of you who refuse to tip. For those who say you can't afford the tips, it sure would be great to see a big bill for booze. That doesn't happen to be any of your business.

But in all honesty, I just dont understand what the problem is here. So freakin what that tipping isn't a part of your culture? What's your response if something is legal in your culture but not in another? Do you just throw out your typical response of "well, we do that in our culture, so we sure as heck will do it here" and expect it to be accepted? Plus, if one can afford a 10 day family cruise...........they should be able to afford the extras.

I think you're just as little too worked up over this. Perhaps you should throw in the OP's tips and then your worries would be over,

What I do know, the cruiselines wouldn't have any use for your remarks about not cruising.

Hi

1. I still consider myself a 1st time cruiser... the egyptian one was a small ferry type boat (it was a river cruise up the nile, it was egyptian independant), it was booked as part a package holiday with a week in Cairo, all excursions were included... I think its a completely different kettle of fish to what I am going to experience on Royal Carribean... Of course we tipped, it was a very reasonable affordable amount, there was no tipping required for children, and I actually left some extra money in my room for the cleaner. Now egyptians ARE on an exceptionally low wage!!!

2. Yes, going on a disney cruise in October, and of course I will tip, but it wont be their suggested amount of $43.75 dollars per day ... Disney cruise is a 40th birthday gift from parents OH, so you know about tipping on Disney? But not Royal?

As previously stated, I think after these 2 cruises this year, I will probably just revert to my normal 2 weeks all inclusive in a hotel

Thanks for your enquiry

You're welcome.

Hi

2. Yes, going on a disney cruise in October, and of course I will tip, but it wont be their suggested amount of $43.75 dollars per day ... Disney cruise is a 40th birthday gift from parents

Thanks for your enquiry

Jadzhea, don't feel that you owe any explanation to these intrusive questions. It is your holiday, you have worked hard to pay for it. Do whatever you want. The tipping guidelines are there for your information as to what the majority of people will pay (the majority on US lines being US citizens). They are not mandatory and you can adjust them up or down as YOU see fit. No one else can tell you how much or little to tip, it is entirely up to you. Enjoy your cruise.

Me? I really AM a first-time cruiser, but have been around TripAdvisor, and CruiseCritic (I've been wanting to go on a cruise for a looooong time!) long enough to know that tipping is one of the topics that really gets a good debate going!

Now, if I were sailing out of an American port, fair enough, but I won't have left European airspace or waters on my cruise...

Personally, I do have 'issues' with crew members not being paid a decent wage by their employers. I do feel we are allowing these big corporations to get away with not valuing their staff, because we make up their wages through tips. However, I know this; I've booked a cruise, c'est la vie.

Mind you, if I do go on another cruise, I think I might wait a few years until the children have left home (hah!) and then DH and I could try out one of the more expensive cruise lines, but where when they say 'all-inclusive' it really means that!

Our family doesn't 'do' bingo; we don't intend going to the speciality restaurants; I won't try the spa (sob!); might get one photo; we don't gamble (not saying we won't, but it won't be a must-do for us); excursions are not being done through the cruise-ship; don't need any art. I'm a bit irritated that soft drinks aren't included in the price of the cruise, but will get the children a soda package, because that's what they drink, and I don't want to be fretting about how much they're spending... anything else? ;) I may have to get hubby to quit his beers for the week though (joking, DH!)

Oh, and btw - that stuff about Brits 'buying one for yourself' in pubs... rubbish! I've never heard anyone I've been with do that. It might be different if you go to the same pub, and maybe a nice country pub where you've established a good rapport with the landlord; it's a quiet evening and you've had a nice long chat with him/her - then maybe. But otherwise? No. Why would they expect a tip?

Still, I don't know why I'm going on about tipping and pre-paying... I haven't even paid the balance of the cruise yet. I won't be going anywhere until I do!

Out of interest, has anyone worked out how much a cruise would cost if the cruise lines DID pay their staff minimum wage?

One of the best things about the U.S. tipping system in restaurants is it can be very effective when service is poor. :D

Example: Usually I leave 15-20% in the US depending on how good the service was, for exceptional service I'm happy to leave 25%.

But - my wife and I were on holiday in Key West, eating at a fairly upmarket outdoor restaurant. The food was fine - but OMG the service was terrible, and not just for us but for everyone. The servers were far more interested in chatting with each other and their friends on their cellphones than they were in taking our orders and serving us our food and drinks. We could see our food on the hotplate, ready - but it took the waitress nearly 10 minutes to bring it to our table by which time it was lukewarm.

So when we paid, I made a show of leaving several $20 bills under my waterglass, which the waitress spotted... about 20 seconds after we left the table, she walked quickly (first time she'd walked quickly all evening) to get her tip. Only to find I'd palmed the $40 and replaced it with one cent.

The look on her face was priceless.....

VP

Just added the tips up: $294 / £185 I reckon. Well, I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that although I've not paid for the cruise, the staff will be getting their tips. Have saved enough to cover that and my tour excursions (well, a couple of them...)

£185 is not going to break most of us, but a point that is being missed here is that... IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE THING, that gets us! Nor do we (OK: me...) like being told what to do ;) and tips aren't really optional, are they, otherwise people wouldn't be getting up in arms when we query it.

Well, I guess I cannot imagine having someone making my bed, cleaning the cabin and serving my family and me dinner three times a day and not compensating them with at least the recommended amount.

I have to say that until I got into cruising and CC I couldn't imagine (other than waitresses) being expected to directly pay the salary of a vendor's employees and being told that if I didn't pay their salary they or their families would go hungry....I was under the naive impression that a vendor paid its employees directly, and anything additional was discretionary. NO WAY is the DSC discretionary, let's be honest about that!

Me? I really AM a first-time cruiser, but have been around TripAdvisor, and CruiseCritic (I've been wanting to go on a cruise for a looooong time!) long enough to know that tipping is one of the topics that really gets a good debate going!

Now, if I were sailing out of an American port, fair enough, but I won't have left European airspace or waters on my cruise...

Personally, I do have 'issues' with crew members not being paid a decent wage by their employers. I do feel we are allowing these big corporations to get away with not valuing their staff, because we make up their wages through tips. However, I know this; I've booked a cruise, c'est la vie.

Mind you, if I do go on another cruise, I think I might wait a few years until the children have left home (hah!) and then DH and I could try out one of the more expensive cruise lines, but where when they say 'all-inclusive' it really means that!

Our family doesn't 'do' bingo; we don't intend going to the speciality restaurants; I won't try the spa (sob!); might get one photo; we don't gamble (not saying we won't, but it won't be a must-do for us); excursions are not being done through the cruise-ship; don't need any art. I'm a bit irritated that soft drinks aren't included in the price of the cruise, but will get the children a soda package, because that's what they drink, and I don't want to be fretting about how much they're spending... anything else? ;) I may have to get hubby to quit his beers for the week though (joking, DH!)

Oh, and btw - that stuff about Brits 'buying one for yourself' in pubs... rubbish! I've never heard anyone I've been with do that. It might be different if you go to the same pub, and maybe a nice country pub where you've established a good rapport with the landlord; it's a quiet evening and you've had a nice long chat with him/her - then maybe. But otherwise? No. Why would they expect a tip?

Still, I don't know why I'm going on about tipping and pre-paying... I haven't even paid the balance of the cruise yet. I won't be going anywhere until I do!

Out of interest, has anyone worked out how much a cruise would cost if the cruise lines DID pay their staff minimum wage?

Check out the price of Azamara cruises as they include the tips into the price. From what I've read when they did that the cost went up roughly 25%.

Archived